Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Nunes

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny how many people are complaining about us passing it about at the back, Guardiola took time to implement it and yes it occasionally backfires but it's one of Jose Sas real strengths, lead to at least one counter attack too.

People are going to just have to put up with it as it's obviously J Los instructions.
The amount of folk who shouted "gerrit out" as we faffed around in our box yesterday

We scored 10 seconds later

Muppets

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The amount of folk who shouted "gerrit out" as we faffed around in our box yesterday

We scored 10 seconds later

Muppets

Or the cries of shoot every time we were 25 yards from goal with two banks of four in front of us?

Or the moaning because we went backwards rather than loose the ball or hoof it in to the massive west ham centre halves?

Clueless some fans.

If people can't see how a negative fanbase affects the team they only need to look at the West Ham fans.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s less effective when a team parks the bus like West Ham did. Not saying he was poor but he didn’t have the space to take the ball into. He was involved in our counters and when the game got more stretched he had more space he came to the fore.
Agreed. It's no coincidence his best games have been away from home when he's had more space to run into. Definitely a better counter-attacking player

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Before this week's results (v Soton & Manure) I have been inclined to concur with Pep...

...and he said "Matheus is one of the best in world"...

...and I think Pep's CV is more impressive than most.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didt see the game yesterday so I am not going to comment on that one specifically, but it has been a common theme for me this year that the forwards make good runs in to space looking for the ball only for the midfielders and defenders, and Semedo has been particularly guilty, to ignore it and turn to play it back, sometimes putting us under pressure.

There is a right time to play it back and draw teams out and a right time to play it forward. For most of the season we have had that balance wrong for my money. Our forwards have lost a lot of heart as a result, and its not surprising supporters get nervous or annoyed. We look much better under Lopetegui but changing habits takes time. From the highlights Cunha looked pretty frustrated with his team mates on a number of occasions yesterday.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he was dreadful today and lacked heart.
Absolutely this. Just not up to speed with the Prem at all. He may have looked great in Europe, so did Guedes, but coming to England is such a step up he's so far out of his depth.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he was dreadful today and lacked heart.
He was sloppy today I agree, but games like this will be the making of him I feel. Learning to play when you are under pressure with the ball in a millisecond is essential in this league.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of people ridiculed Lage and Davis for using nunes in the more advanced role, but I think it’s understandable why they did that to introduce him to the premier league. Similar to how Nuno didn’t trust Vitinha in that deep position.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has improved under JL but still doesn't look anywhere near a £40m midfielder. He is very ponderous on the ball.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slows the game down and holds on to the ball too long at times but he is a talent. Great acceleration and ability to glide past players as we know

floydstreet

Reaction score
He’s a talent and with better more confident players would improve consistency. But lost de bruyne for first goal trying to help Bueno who didn’t need help, leaving KDB free. But great running with ball and on occasions moving it quickly

However, if the question is would I accept £50-60m and reinvest it

My answer is yes

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
Lemina was better than him this afternoon.

I’m starting to dislike him tbh…

T

TheConcourse

Please don’t start turning on the only midfielder we have who is capable of breaking through teams.

He’s head and shoulders above everyone in midfield.

Yes, he takes risks.

Yes, he’ll lose the ball occasionally.

But he’ll never spend 90 minutes marooned 30 yards from our goal not impacting our attacks. That’s something that we’re ****ing Neves off for every week at the moment.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please don’t start turning on the only midfielder we have who is capable of breaking through teams.

Yes, he takes risks.

But he’ll never spend 90 minutes marooned 30 yards from our goal not impacting our attacks. That’s something that we’re ****ing Neves off for every week at the moment.
Would take another year or two of Neves over a year or two of him, though.

Podence looked the best of a bad bunch today (for me) - in terms of making something positive happen.

We went with a plan, showed them too much respect and got slapped. Everything we deserved today. **** all!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes, he takes risks.

I honestly can’t see how anyone can say he’s head and shoulders above everyone. That completely blows my mind. He’s literally had about 3 good performances (all after the restart, which admittedly he’s been much better since).

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it’s widely acknowledged that the pace of the Premier League is probably the fastest in Europe Those precious extra few seconds he had on the ball in Portugal are no longer there and it’s whether he has the ability to adapt. Fernandes and Guimaries both hit the ground running in the Premier league, so there is a concern as to how suited Nunes is to the Prem. I personally think Leminia Neves and Bob Traore could be our best midfield trio.

T

TheConcourse

I honestly can’t see how anyone can say he’s head and shoulders above everyone. That completely blows my mind. He’s literally had about 3 good performances (all after the restart, which admittedly he’s been much better since).
So we agree that he actually played games under a competent manager and he’s had his best performances?

Neves doesn’t do enough outside of our half.

Too early to judge Lemina.

Moutinho is a waste of a shirt.

Best CM we’ve got, and I think it’ll be proven this/next summer when a big club comes in.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we agree that he actually played games under a competent manager and he’s had his best performances?

Neves doesn’t do enough outside of our half.

Too early to judge Lemina.

Moutinho is a waste of a shirt.

Best CM we’ve got, and I think it’ll be proven this/next summer when a big club comes in.
He has improved yes, he still hasn’t been amazing though imo. Neves is comfortably the best CM we’ve got. You say he doesn’t do enough outside of our half but he’s got a couple of league goals from open play compared to Nunes’ 0 - and Ruben is a defensive midfielder!

Nunes is good at carrying the ball, everything else is questionable based on his performances in a Wolves shirt.

T

TheConcourse

He has improved yes, he still hasn’t been amazing though imo. Neves is comfortably the best CM we’ve got. You say he doesn’t do enough outside of our half but he’s got a couple of league goals from open play compared to Nunes’ 0 - and Ruben is a defensive midfielder!

Nunes is good at carrying the ball, everything else is questionable based on his performances in a Wolves shirt.
That feels like a poor comparison. Ruben is in his 5th season in the PL. I’d fully expect him to be more advanced in terms of goals.

This season has also been a car crash, and I’d expect Neves to probably have double the amount of minutes of Nunes.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That feels like a poor comparison. Ruben is in his 5th season in the PL. I’d fully expect him to be more advanced in terms of goals.

This season has also been a car crash, and I’d expect Neves to probably have double the amount of minutes of Nunes.
Feels like a poor comparison?! You’ve just said Nunes is head and shoulders above the rest of our midfield. I’ve compared him to one of our midfielders.

Arc

Groupie
Reaction score
Unreal that people are so quick to slate him. He's a class player who always tries to make something happen, holds onto the ball yes, but at least he doesn't just pass it sideways or backwards all the time, he's always looking ahead to try break through a team. Without him the midfield would be worse, we are lucky to have him

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
17 games played and one assist and no goals from midfield. He simply has to be doing much much more in this second half of the season along with our other midfield players. Just like the rest of our non scoring squad the midfield dont get anywhere near enough goals. We have too many players at our club who arent doing or contributing enough.

Reactions: Ian

hambaps

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is he the new scapegoat?

Showing signs of improvement in last few games, so we'd better ramp up this scapegoating and force him out before it's too late.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nunes no doubt is a great player and he could be brilliant for us
I just get this feeling he thinks he’s too good for us and didn’t like the way he walked off the pitch at full time without acknowledging the Wolves fans
Every other played came across but Nunes was down the tunnel

T

TheConcourse

Feels like a poor comparison?! You’ve just said Nunes is head and shoulders above the rest of our midfield. I’ve compared him to one of our midfielders.
You’re coming back with goals and assists as the measurement. It’s a stupid comparison for players that haven’t played similar minutes.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’re coming back with goals and assists as the measurement. It’s a stupid comparison for players that haven’t played similar minutes.
Yes because you said Neves needs to do more in the other half! Neves is a defensive midfielder!

T

TheConcourse

Yes because you said Neves needs to do more in the other half! Neves is a defensive midfielder!
He does!! Neves’ output is pathetic for a CM. He’s one of the issues for our chronic lack of goals.

Nunes hasn’t posted the numbers, but numbers don’t tell the full story: minutes on the pitch, contributions to goals (Everton away, West Ham home). He played a major part in both.

My argument is that Nunes is a better all-round CM than Neves. You might disagree. But it’s disingenuous to compare numbers as the comparison when they haven’t even played close to the same amounts of minutes.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Was wondering on the way home who would get the scapegoat award today!

Yes, he wasn't great, and Neves was probably worse. However the sheer intensity of the City press is unbelievable. There's no time to look up, nobody free, no spaces to pass through. If Nunes took it past one player, they'd knock him a bit and the next one would stop him. So I'm not judging the midfield on today, Nunes, Neves and Lemina is an awesome midfield, they do need more options in front, especially a threat in behind to save running straight into the defence if they do ever get past the midfield.

Back
Top Bottom