Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in the mid 70‘s, Queens Park Rangers had a very good team. If I remember correctly, they pushed Liverpool all the way, just being pipped into second place.Apart from Gerry Francis they had the likes of Dave Thomas, Don Givens and the mercurial Stan Bowles. That with the experience of John Hollins, plus I think Frank McLintock, that QPR side was a match for anyone.
At least one QPR fan l know hates us to this day for losing to Liverpool, getting relegated and according to him, therefore costing them the title.....

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've criticised some for presentism. This, albeit in the opposite direction, is equally as ridiculous.

Older people tend to believe that everything in their youth was better. However objectively that isn't always true. So no l won't take your word, particularly as while l am slightly younger than you l believe, l certainly do remember the 60/70s.
Im slightly older than yourself and obviously believe everything in my youth was better
Outside toilets,tin baths,no hot running water or central heating,gas lighting ,no telly,ten minute walk if you want to phone someone
Dripping sandwiches,a bag of broken biscuits if your lucky,setting the chimney on fire every other week,taking your dads best suit to the pawn shop every Monday to get his beer money,getting it back on a Friday so he can go out lol
Yeah those were the good old days alright :)

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd genuinely like to see someone list out 100 players they think were better. Not better in terms of how much they achieved for Wolves, but better footballers.

I know some of you oldies must have the time!

One thing to bear in mind though, is how rose tinted your glasses are, because we all tend to look back on the highlights and ignore the more forgettable bits. After all, Pele was sh..rubbish. (including a couple of unnecessary Jason Lee references)

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

O’Neil said: “If I talk about what I hope for, I hope he’s available straight after the international break.

“There’s a lot of things that can go well or not so well between now and then. But in an ideal world we would have him back and around the group after those internationals.

“If it doesn’t go quite so well, obviously time can be added to that. There will be no risks taken but as soon as the medical team are happy and as soon as Matheus is happy, he will be back.

“So let’s see if there is possibly potential for him to be back around training before the international break.

greco wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in two weeks. Bumped into him in the BW as was invited to corporate. Nice to meet him - lovely bloke and happy to have a photo and chat

I asked him twice and he said good and couple of weeks. His English is really good. Met a few other players too incl Noah lemina is speaks no English but happy and smiley too

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back in two weeks. Bumped into him in the BW as was invited to corporate. Nice to meet him - lovely bloke and happy to have a photo and chat

I asked him twice and he said good and couple of weeks. His English is really good. Met a few other players too incl Noah lemina is speaks no English but happy and smiley too
Yes two weeks for training hopefully

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Let’s hope so. We missed him today.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see my name is being taken in vain! Do I think we have had 100 better players than Cunha since Billy Wright? Well Cunha has only played 30 or so games, so how can you compare him with players who racked up 2 or 3 hundred? Off the top of my head since I have been watching, I would class as "great forwards" the following: Peter Broadbent (the greatest by a mile), Jimmy Murray, Norman Deeley, Jimmy Mullen, Peter Knowles, Derek Dougan, John Richards, Dave Wagstaffe, Ray Crawford, Bobby Gould, Frank Wignall, Hugh McIlmoyle, Kenny Hibbitt, Jim McCalliog, Willy Carr, Steve Bull. Quite a few others who were fantastic players but for one reason or another didn't stay long, such as Harry Hopper, who was our top scorer with 19 goals from the right wing in 1956-7, played all 42 games, but Cullis sold him because he misbehaved on a tour to S. Africa, and the great Ted Farmer, 44 goals in 57 top tier games and had his career ended by injury at 24. Players like Dennis Wilshaw, Roy Swinbourne, Jessie Pye, Dickie Dorsett, Jimmy Dunne were before my time, but my Dad used to rave about them. Most of the above played hundreds of games in the Old Gold, as strikers, inside forwards or wingers, and I would think of all of them as 'great players' in their eras...not forgetting Andy Gray, Steve Daley, Bobby Mason, Des Horne...

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see BSK has not joined in this discussion but I bet you he's seen and remembers 100 better players than Cunha going back to the Billy Wright era. Even before BW we had the likes of Stan Cullis, Johnny Hancocks, Jimmy Mullen, Roy Pritchard, Jesse Pye and Dennis Westcott off the top of my head.
Thank you for joining in at last BSK! If one person on here could by 1 post demolish the myth that Cunha is one of our greatest players it is you. I remembered a few but you named 27 forwards just like that! If you add to that list (I'm sure not comprehensive) the many great mfs like Mike Bailey for instance and great defenders like Billy Wright and Frank Munro I'm sure the list would approach 100. Cunha is a top player and could become a great player but he will need to have played many more than 30 or so games for us before he becomes a great Wolves player to be mentioned in the same breath as Derek Dougan or Peter Broadbent.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its not easy or fair in a lot of ways to compare players from different eras. As i said on another thread about teams from years gone by, good players from the 20, 30's 40's, 50's etc are technically not as good ( with exceptions of course ) as the modern day player.

As i said in that thread, games i watched from the 70's while still entertaining, were miles behind in terms of ability of the teams of today to the point where the standard was like watching championship teams. So you can only judge players and how good they were in that time period and what they did for Wolves in their era because you cant compare a lot of them in terms of their ability compared to the players of today.

My Dad, who's seen our most successful teams from the 50's onward, often looks back at the players with his rose tinted glasses, but he will freely admit the quality back then simply doesn't compare to today. In 20 years time, it will be the same with this group. The game keeps evolving.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you for joining in at last BSK! If one person on here could by 1 post demolish the myth that Cunha is one of our greatest players it is you. I remembered a few but you named 27 forwards just like that! If you add to that list (I'm sure not comprehensive) the many great mfs like Mike Bailey for instance and great defenders like Billy Wright and Frank Munro I'm sure the list would approach 100. Cunha is a top player and could become a great player but he will need to have played many more than 30 or so games for us before he becomes a great Wolves player to be mentioned in the same breath as Derek Dougan or Peter Broadbent.
If we are also talking great midfielders: Ron Flowers, Eddie Clamp, Bill Slater, Mike Bailey, Frank Munro, Danny Hegan, maybe Ernie Hunt, Geoff Thomas, Matt Jarvis, Alan Hinton, Terry Wharton, Micky Lill (wingers). That's just players I actually saw

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im slightly older than yourself and obviously believe everything in my youth was better
Outside toilets,tin baths,no hot running water or central heating,gas lighting ,no telly,ten minute walk if you want to phone someone
Dripping sandwiches,a bag of broken biscuits if your lucky,setting the chimney on fire every other week,taking your dads best suit to the pawn shop every Monday to get his beer money,getting it back on a Friday so he can go out lol
Yeah those were the good old days alright :)

You forgot jumpers for goalposts. Grrrrr.

Peter Broadbent (the greatest by a mile)

Longer than that, mate :)

loppers86

Reaction score
Remarkable how much material this thread has generated from a one line post from the notorious Loppers
and…

i never said he was the greatest. i said he was the best.

i never said he was a club legend or great servant, i said he was the best.

he is the best (or at least up there) and I’ve seen all the players BSK mentions from the mcgarry era

perhaps in modern molmix terminology i should have said the he ‘has the highest ceiling’.

SEAwolves

Reaction score
That would mean he'd miss 7 games in total (6 if we get knocked out the FA Cup), and be back for the Villa game.

Keep everything crossed.

Even better - if we beat Brighton on Wednesday, it means he'll likely miss one fewer game as the Bournemouth game would be moved until the end of April, so he'd only miss Newcastle (H) and Fulham (A) and the quarterfinals.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

JJ59

Reaction score
What a larger than life character he is. I absolutely love his passion and enthusiasm. I just hope he stays at Wolves because he is one hell of a player and also plays a unique role.

With players like that in the dressing room, how can you fail to be motivated and inspired.

Just look at Leminas injury at 30 secs, nothing to worry about!!

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a larger than life character he is. I absolutely love his passion and enthusiasm. I just hope he stays at Wolves because he is one hell of a player and also plays a unique role.

With players like that in the dressing room, how can you fail to be motivated and inspired.

I see my name is being taken in vain! Do I think we have had 100 better players than Cunha since Billy Wright? Well Cunha has only played 30 or so games, so how can you compare him with players who racked up 2 or 3 hundred? Off the top of my head since I have been watching, I would class as "great forwards" the following: Peter Broadbent (the greatest by a mile), Jimmy Murray, Norman Deeley, Jimmy Mullen, Peter Knowles, Derek Dougan, John Richards, Dave Wagstaffe, Ray Crawford, Bobby Gould, Frank Wignall, Hugh McIlmoyle, Kenny Hibbitt, Jim McCalliog, Willy Carr, Steve Bull. Quite a few others who were fantastic players but for one reason or another didn't stay long, such as Harry Hopper, who was our top scorer with 19 goals from the right wing in 1956-7, played all 42 games, but Cullis sold him because he misbehaved on a tour to S. Africa, and the great Ted Farmer, 44 goals in 57 top tier games and had his career ended by injury at 24. Players like Dennis Wilshaw, Roy Swinbourne, Jessie Pye, Dickie Dorsett, Jimmy Dunne were before my time, but my Dad used to rave about them. Most of the above played hundreds of games in the Old Gold, as strikers, inside forwards or wingers, and I would think of all of them as 'great players' in their eras...not forgetting Andy Gray, Steve Daley, Bobby Mason, Des Horne...

But there is no way bobby gould holds a candle to cunha. Or mccalliog. Carr wasnt a forward . So instead of 100 we have managed about a dozen that are close it maybe better. I would add neves, raul if going down the hybrid route. Fact is he might not make top 100 at liverpool but he definitely does here

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't think the 30 games is particularly relevant - if Messy came in and played 10 games, he'd be our best ever player. Obviously not the biggest Wolves legend, or biggest achiever for Wolves, but best.

I know it's a different era with more international games and substitutes etc, but without gold tinted binoculars, is it really right that people like :

Jim McCalliog - fewer international caps in his whole career than Cunha has aged 24, despite being Scottish
Harry Hooper - only played 9 more games for us than Cunha, never went on to play for England
Jimmy Murray - never played for England
Normal Deeley - 2 England caps
Ray Crawford - career of Portsmouth, Ipswich, WBA, Charlton, Kettering, Colchester
Bobby Gould - sold after a year for barely more than we bought him, then played for us in div 2 later
Hugh McIlmoyle - I dont think played for Scotland?

And to be a bit more facetious:
Steve Bull - hid in the lower leagues, achieved less than Cunha already at top levels

Especially as most of these played in an era where pre-match prep meant having 10 pints the night before a game instead of the usual 15!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That Cunha/Mario hug - must be great for all the others to have characters like that in the dressing room.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think the 30 games is particularly relevant - if Messy came in and played 10 games, he'd be our best ever player. Obviously not the biggest Wolves legend, or biggest achiever for Wolves, but best.

I know it's a different era with more international games and substitutes etc, but without gold tinted binoculars, is it really right that people like :

Jim McCalliog - fewer international caps in his whole career than Cunha has aged 24, despite being Scottish
Harry Hooper - only played 9 more games for us than Cunha, never went on to play for England
Jimmy Murray - never played for England
Normal Deeley - 2 England caps
Ray Crawford - career of Portsmouth, Ipswich, WBA, Charlton, Kettering, Colchester
Bobby Gould - sold after a year for barely more than we bought him, then played for us in div 2 later
Hugh McIlmoyle - I dont think played for Scotland?

And to be a bit more facetious:
Steve Bull - hid in the lower leagues, achieved less than Cunha already at top levels

Especially as most of these played in an era where pre-match prep meant having 10 pints the night before a game instead of the usual 15!

This is the kind of thing I was going to get at, where people seem to get the argument mixed up and compare one player's outright ability with what someone else has done for the club

There's a difference between being a Wolves great and being one of the best footballers to ever represent the club. Cunha isn't the former (though he may go on to be if he sticks around), but there's a good argument he's the latter

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Has there been any update on his time frame for recovery?

Quarters on 16th March - any chance he's involved do we think?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That Cunha/Mario hug - must be great for all the others to have characters like that in the dressing room.

I think Lopetegui picked up on not having big characters and personalities in the dressing room after how Lage destroyed the moral. Cunha and Costa i remember had a big impact for us off the field last season.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Lopetegui picked up on not having big characters and personalities in the dressing room after how Lage destroyed the moral. Cunha and Costa i remember had a big impact for us off the field last season.

I think a lot of people spoke about that, especially with Costa. Ok his body couldn't do what his mind wanted it to do, at the level he used to but his impact off the field was massive I think.

Cult hero our Diego.

Think I've read a few articles that the likes of Cunha & Lemina are "vocal leaders" within the dressing room.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Absolutely love the guy.

My wife would absolutely literally love the guy given the opportunity

Back
Top Bottom