Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are talking like we were in the running for something special?! The season was effectively done before Cunha got injured and that hasn't changed now.
With a loanee CF on board and Cunha fit I think we could have challenged for 8th. Now we have neither and my prediction is a drop off to the end of the season with 14th/15th more likely. So of course Cunha's injury and our January transfer failure has changed everything. One more serious injury to Hwang or Neto and things could get even worse.

As per usual when things appear to be on the up the club shoots itself in the foot and bad luck comes calling.

Still can't get my head around how a loan fee of £4m would have hurled us into FFP disaster. Just don't believe it.

If each league placing at the end if the season is worth £2m to the club, I reckon failing to add that CF could cost the club six or seven places, the difference between 8th and 15th. That's around £14m.

Last edited:

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matheus suggesting matter of weeks - 4 to 6 perhaps

Lets see how he feels come international break.

agreed with other posters far to early to judge JRB, cunha didnt start off that great, he needs settling time and also needs the right system and preseason with gon

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matheus suggesting matter of weeks - 4 to 6 perhaps

Lets see how he feels come international break.

agreed with other posters far to early to judge JRB, cunha didnt start off that great, he needs settling time and also needs the right system and preseason with gon
Neto said the same thing

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Letting Sasa and Silva go was probably essential financially, for squad unity and for their development/happiness. Did it seriously weaken the squad options - not really.

We wanted a 9, but despite the outgoing loans we couldn't afford one, we knew that, it's frustrating.

Were Sasa, Silva, or the 9 we didn't get going to fill Cunha's boots if they were here - no chance.

So the whole argument is a bit silly really.
This is it really, and it's a shame to see folk arguing about nonsense.

If we'd've taken that Chelski flop at their wide-boy demands and he'd broken down within a few games, no doubt the moan to whip the club with would instead be about due diligence and being taken for a ride.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's a slight abridgment of what Gary actually said. On the 15th January:

“I can confirm, as far as I’m aware, that we have no worries over financial fair play. I’ve been comfortable with that since I arrived. The club were very open with me around what could and couldn’t be done this season. [...] There's discussions going on. Obviously that was the idea, letting the guys [Sasa and Fabio] go out as early as possible. It helps financially, helps free up some wages that we can use in the loan market, or for people that may be available. I am confident that we will be able to bring players in before the window closes, but that doesn't mean we can guarantee it."

The point of letting Sasa and Fabio go was because it freed up the financial capital to bring players in on loan. We went from that more bullish quote regarding FFP and the confidence of signing multiple players, to this a week later:

“A lot of work was going into trying to recruit a certain type and it’s now been made clear financially that we can’t afford that type. So that search stops and we look at other options. [...] The financial side of why, I’m not 100 per cent clear on. Financial fair play or the position of the club financially, but it’s just clear we still need to be very, very careful and even more careful than we thought when I spoke to you guys last week about the targets we were looking at."

Gary was told on day one, that FFP was not a concern for Wolves. Then at a certain point in January, he publicly declares is no longer sure if the club has FFP trouble or not, but the targets he was looking at from only a week before were suddenly no longer viable, despite shipping Sasa and Fabio's wages off the books (and presumably took loan fees too).

We can't just shrug our shoulders, chalk it up to bad luck and say no mistakes were made.

The parts that you highlighted, of which Gary said, I interprate differently to you.

In the first quote he was saying that we have no worries over FFP play, which I take as saying we aren't going to break the rules and lose 10 points. I don't take that as we have no worries about money, I take it as don't worry Gary, we are with in the limits.

The second bit you highlight, is Gary saying he isn't sure of the financial situation, meaning, when he spoke the week before, he thought we had more manoeuvre room than we actually have. That to me doesn't mean he was lied to, but that he didn't have all the information, the week before, when he made his previous statement. There is passing the FFP rules, but being so close to it, that a serious acquisition, would be very risky at the moment.
Many clubs in the Premier League are in the same position and didn't buy any players in the January transfer market.
I do agree that having a new striker would have been preferable, but we aren't going to get relegated, or get in to Europe and so the powers that be, didn’t see the point in jeopardising FFP, when it wouldn't make too much difference to the outcome
of our season anyway.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting how Brentford have gone out and "proactively" signed a striker, probably to replace Toney when he goes - we can only dream of our club doing something similar...
According to so many on here there are few number 9s out there , that is their strong opinion, we have been told that for over 4 years.
But I bet Brighton, Brentford , Nottingham Forest , Fulham , Luton , Palace, Bournemouth and all our competitors will find one.
Trincao, Guedes those type of ineffective wasters are easy to find, and waste the odd £25 million on.
Just wait to the summer though , or perhaps next January 2025 or .................or ....................

Last edited:

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If we'd've taken that Chelski flop at their wide-boy demands and he'd broken down within a few games, no doubt the moan to whip the club with would instead be about due diligence and being taken for a ride.
It's astonishing why people can't get their head around this. GON himself said that part of the reason that Fabio and Sasa had to go before anyone came in was that the club had to free up the wages to be in a position to be able to bring anyone in. Now unless they are accusing our manager of being a liar or just a Jeff stooge then it's pretty cut and dried.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps “no worries over financial fair play” meant we were not going to get charged unlike Everton and Forest?
Perhaps mistakes were made? but nobody is perfect and personally I’m very happy with the job Fosun have done since their arrival
First half of their ownership, 100%. Magnificent. Second half of their ownership has been questionable however, and they have lost most of the upward momentum on the pitch, in their mission of a self-sustaining company that makes money for the Fosun brand. Very few clubs are able to achieve this while remaining competitive.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
According to many on here there are not any number 9s , we have been told that for over 4 years.
But I bet Brighton, Brentford , Nottingham Forest , Fulham , Luton , Palace, Bournemouth and all our competitors will find one., because its not that easy . Trincao, Guedes those type of ineffective wasters are easy to find.
Just wait to the summer though , or perhaps next January 2025 or ........................................
We have targeted and recruited number 9s over the last few seasons but they haven't worked out as number 9s. Sasa was bought as a number 9 and didn't work out due to injury and the manager change, Cunha was bought for £45m as a number 9 and was played that way by Lopetegui but didn't work out as a pure number 9. So we've been in the market for a number 9, and spent money signing players for that position, but it hasn't worked out for us. As it happens for other clubs, mainly because effective goal scoring number 9s in the Premier League are rare and very expensive.

As for your examples of teams who have the ability to recruit forward players better than us, barring Brighton, they are all well below us in the Premier League and have all scored fewer goals than us this season, so I don't know what that says about their overall recruitment strategies. Not sure why you want to give them as examples of better recruitment for goal scoring success.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton - Evan Ferguson (9 expected to go big money soon)
Brentford - Toney (9) huge money deal coming.. signed thiago 31m who's doing well in the same Belgian league fabio did.

Luton - will not sign a 9 above 10m or at all they have adebayo
palace - have needed a striker for years, can never find one, have has so many duds like mateta, relied on zaha for years. creeping towards relegation battle, likely to sell best two players in eze and olise next year for a rebuild.
bournemouth - bought solanke for 21.5m 5 years ago, for potential, has took 5 years. Touted to a move to spurs for 50m
Fulham - Signed broja is unfit for games, signed jimenez also still struggling to fire
Forest? - in relegation trouble signed elanga and wood (they have 14 goals 7 assists) - Cunha and hwang (22 goals 10 assists)

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was really excited about watching us play for the rest of the season. Probably more excited than at any time since the first PL season under Nuno.

I'm no longer excited.
I expect to be rather bored actually.

GON has done amazing, but the whole ethos of that has revolved around Cunha, now GON has to come up with a Plan B and he doesn't have much in the way of options to work with. I'll bet he's not too happy either.

I know what you mean. You could feel the whole stadium get the life sucked out of it when Cunha left the field on Saturday.

But I'm now excited to see what GON does about not having Cunha. About what his plan B will be. He doesn't strike me as the type to sulk around about not getting what he wants. I think a big part of Lage's first season was just that, he lost interest after a disappointing January window.

If we adapt and somehow manage to pick up points and play decent football without Cunha, then GON is clearly very good at adapting to situations and motivating players.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The parts that you highlighted, of which Gary said, I interprate differently to you. In the first quote he was saying that we have no worries over FFP play, which I take as saying we aren't going to break the rules and lose 10 points. I don't take that as we have no worries about money, I take it as don't worry Gary, we are with in the limits. The second bit you highlight, is Gary saying he isn't sure of the financial situation, meaning, when he spoke the week before, he thought we had more manoeuvre room than we actually have. That to me doesn't mean he was lied to, but that he didn't have all the information, the week before, when he made his previous statement. There is passing the FFP rules, but being so close to it, that a serious acquisition, would be very risky at the moment. Many clubs in the Premier League are in the same position and didn't buy any players in the January transfer market. I do agree that having a new striker would have been commendable, but we aren't going to get relegated, or get in to Europe and so the powers that be, didn’t see the point in jeopardising FFP, when it wouldn't make too much difference to the outcome of our season.
I was one of the most miserly gits out there regarding GON at first. I thought we'd be right in the thick stuff, then gradually I realised we weren't going down. Then I thought, we're too inconsistent to have a tilt at Europe though, we look every inch the mid-table side. Now, by the time I finally come to fully trust the team and dream of a stab at Europe, I'm getting posters telling me we were never going to make it, anyway! Even though we're still close. Since when was I the optimistic one?!

Regards FFP, unless I am mistaken it's black and white? If you are £1 under you are safe, if you are £1 over it's a penalty which compounds depending on how far. That's why the two FFP quotes from Gary have me scratching my chin. If it was really so close that a small loan fee would put us over (not even a permanent signing), then it seems strange that he was given the impression that we had no FFP problems at all, as recently as mid-January.

Not necessarily saying Jeff lied to him, though I wouldn't rule it out. It's equally possible that Jeff cannot forecast an accurate financial projection beyond the end of his nose. There's previous for our purported spending position suddenly and mysteriously falling off a cliff almost overnight.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have targeted and recruited number 9s over the last few seasons but they haven't worked out as number 9s. Sasa was bought as a number 9 and didn't work out due to injury and the manager change, Cunha was bought for £45m as a number 9 and was played that way by Lopetegui but didn't work out as a pure number 9. So we've been in the market for a number 9, and spent money signing players for that position, but it hasn't worked out for us. As it happens for other clubs, mainly because effective goal scoring number 9s in the Premier League are rare and very expensive.

As for your examples of teams who have the ability to recruit forward players better than us, barring Brighton, they are all well below us in the Premier League and have all scored fewer goals than us this season, so I don't know what that says about their overall recruitment strategies. Not sure why you want to give them as examples of better recruitment for goal scoring success.
If you read my post gain I was explaining they are available but I do dispute your assumption that we would be weaker by having a central striker.
The fact these clubs are below us does not discount the fact they have found these players .
That we could use these players to improve our play. .
We have done well by playing 8 defensive players for most of the last 6 years , conceding and scoring few goals .
As a fan that watches from the stands that is gladly changing. I believe our play would be better and more effective when Neto, Sarabia , and Bellegarde can be used properly .

Last edited:

loppers86

Reaction score
The parts that you highlighted, of which Gary said, I interprate differently to you.

In the first quote he was saying that we have no worries over FFP play, which I take as saying we aren't going to break the rules and lose 10 points. I don't take that as we have no worries about money, I take it as don't worry Gary, we are with in the limits.

The second bit you highlight, is Gary saying he isn't sure of the financial situation, meaning, when he spoke the week before, he thought we had more manoeuvre room than we actually have. That to me doesn't mean he was lied to, but that he didn't have all the information, the week before, when he made his previous statement. There is passing the FFP rules, but being so close to it, that a serious acquisition, would be very risky at the moment.
Many clubs in the Premier League are in the same position and didn't buy any players in the January transfer market.
I do agree that having a new striker would have been preferable, but we aren't going to get relegated, or get in to Europe and so the powers that be, didn’t see the point in jeopardising FFP, when it wouldn't make too much difference to the outcome
of our season anyway.
weasel words.

it’s very clear something changed or GON was so incompetent that he didn’t find out the transfer budget until half way through the window. i don’t think it was the latter.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brentford - Toney (9) huge money deal coming.. signed thiago 31m who's doing well in the same Belgian league fabio did.

palace - have needed a striker for years, can never find one, have has so many duds like mateta, relied on zaha for years. creeping towards relegation battle, likely to sell best two players in eze and olise next year for a rebuild.
bournemouth - bought solanke for 21.5m 5 years ago, for potential, has took 5 years. Touted to a move to spurs for 50m
Fulham - Signed broja is unfit for games, signed jimenez also still struggling to fire
Forest? - in relegation trouble signed elanga and wood (they have 14 goals 7 assists) - Cunha and hwang (22 goals 10 assists)
Forest have got Awoniyi as well.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was one of the most miserly gits out there regarding GON at first. I thought we'd be right in the thick stuff, then gradually I realised we weren't going down. Then I thought, we're too inconsistent to have a tilt at Europe though, we look every inch the mid-table side. Now, by the time I finally come to fully trust the team and dream of a stab at Europe, I'm getting posters telling me we were never going to make it, anyway! Even though we're still close. Since when was I the optimistic one?!

Regards FFP, unless I am mistaken it's black and white? If you are £1 under you are safe, if you are £1 over it's a penalty which compounds depending on how far. That's why the two FFP quotes from Gary have me scratching my chin. If it was really so close that a small loan fee would put us over (not even a permanent signing), then it seems strange that he was given the impression that we had no FFP problems at all, as recently as mid-January.

Not necessarily saying Jeff lied to him, though I wouldn't rule it out. It's equally possible that Jeff cannot forecast an accurate financial projection beyond the end of his nose. There's previous for our purported spending position suddenly and mysteriously falling off a cliff almost overnight.

If we were tight, then something as simple as paying Jonny's contract up, when we thought we might have got a small fee for him, would have put us in a position where something that was potentially doable at the start of January, became undoable by the end.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we were tight, then something as simple as paying Jonny's contract up, when we thought we might have got a small fee for him, would have put us in a position where something that was potentially doable at the start of January, became undoable by the end.
True, though it's not entirely clear what happened with Jonny's contract. According to E&S, we are paying a percentage of his wages at PAOK. That would suggest to me we didn't pay up all of the remaining 18 months of his contract in one lump, and are doing some slow-drip arrangement for everyone's mutual benefit.

Meanwhile, as @hollo said, we shifted Corbeanu for £1.2m, as well as getting Sasa and Fabio's wages off the books. Total speculation on my part but that's what, ~£1.5m saved, before any loan fees we took? To a lesser extent, Jordao and Hodge's wages too.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True, though it's not entirely clear what happened with Jonny's contract. According to E&S, we are paying a percentage of his wages at PAOK. That would suggest to me we didn't pay up all of the remaining 18 months of his contract in one lump, and are doing some slow-drip arrangement for everyone's mutual benefit.

Meanwhile, as @hollo said, we shifted Corbeanu for £1.2m, as well as getting Sasa and Fabio's wages off the books. Total speculation on my part, but that's what, £1.5m saved, before we get to any loan fees we took for them? To a lesser extent, Jordao and Hodge's wages too.

Still, no fee would have been the big change. Even a nominal couple of million could have been the difference.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wasn't that "no FFP problems" talking retrospectively about the period Everton got charged for, because of some naff newspaper comments about us being worried we'd be punished along with them and Forest?

Over-spending in this January won't be dealt with for about a year (or more).

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We'd all have liked a player/s to come in to help etc etc; but personally I'm in line with the club line that it has to be the right kind of player at the right kind of price, rather than "anyone just because".

Personally, the intense sense of unity and togetherness we seem to have at the moment is not worth risking for anything but a very clear [and financially prudent, given our circumstances] gain.

In this instance, for me, long-term therefore easily trumps short-term. One can but dream, but I don't really think we have / had any genuinely realistic chance of making it into a European place this season. In fact it's mind-blowing we were ever even talking about it.

As @WolfLing has said, I'm actually more excited at seeing just how our magician GON is going to deal with this; I suspect we may be surprised at how we adapt and continue to play well, get results etc. Even if we do fade away a bit, you can bet your bottom dollar that GON and the team will learn from the experiences - he & the team are all clearly fast developers and improvers. And that surely bodes well for the coming seasons in terms of his and the team's development into what I feel is going to be something very special. Not bad for a "PE Teacher".

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I have never found you a misery guts Jeff. I think you have genuine concerns and when in the past, your concerns have turned out to be unfounded, you change your opinion accordingly. I have a lot of time for that attitude. Your concerns are undoubtedly because you want the best for our club and for no other reason.
There are lots of caveats with FFP and just passing the FFP one year, doesn't mean you are safe for a 3 year period. I will put this link up for you and hopefully you will be able to see, that many clubs have the same problem as us at the moment and owners are constrained in what they spend now. It isn't because they don't want to spend, but because doing so under the new environment and failing FFP regulations will have serious consequences, which will damage the clubs league status.
Please give it a read Jeff and tell me what you think and if it changes your opinion in anyway, about the clubs reluctance to splash the cash. As you can see from the article, it isn't just at Wolves, it is at most Premier league clubs.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I have never found you a misery guts Jeff. I think you have genuine concerns and when in the past, your concerns have turned out to be unfounded, you change your opinion accordingly. I have a lot of time for that attitude. Your concerns are undoubtedly because you want the best for our club and for no other reason.
There are lots of caveats with FFP and just passing the FFP one year, doesn't mean you are safe for a 3 year period. I will put this link up for you and hopefully you will be able to see, that many clubs have the same problem as us at the moment and owners are constrained in what they spend now. It isn't because they don't want to spend, but because doing so under the new environment and failing FFP regulations will have serious consequences, which will damage the clubs league status.
Please give it a read Jeff and tell me what you think and if it changes your opinion in anyway, about the clubs reluctance to splash the cash. As you can see from the article, it isn't just at Wolves, it is at most Premier league clubs.

Funny that you have called him jeff :) presumably a typo

As an aside I do wonder what happened to the poster Ccpnumber5

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We will be a better team with the option of a competent central striker . Do you disagree with that ?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will be a better team with the option of a competent central striker . Do you disagree with that ?
Not at all im just saying what is available that is below us or what they are doing we coul dhave picked up YA for 15m obligaiton/option.

Hes a good striker, we will fix it with hobbs

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not at all im just saying what is available that is below us or what they are doing we coul dhave picked up YA for 15m obligaiton/option.

Hes a good striker, we will fix it with hobbs
I really hope you are right. Wolves have always had "strikers" around which you build great memories.

Bonatini and then Jimenez added a "point" to our play , that we seemed to have recently lost since , until this season , where we have successfully circumnavigated that absence .

Last edited:

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't think many on here were that enamoured with Broja, especially with the 'contingencies' that Chavski had put uin place around his loan deal.

I think it is more to do with a long term lack of recruiting a striker that fits the way the team plays. I cannot think that anyone would say that loaning out Sasa without a replacement somehow makes us stronger?

Fraser and JRB might well come good, but it is surely better to have experience than putting too much pressure on untried players?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jefe or heffa as us English folk say is Spanish for “boss” I believe

As for a striker Cunha will be back for the end of the season. I’d go all out for Adebayo from Luton between 10-15m absolute bargain for whoever signs him. Has desire, scored at this level. Worked his way up. Reminds me a little of Ndah. Works his socks off. Cunha will be fine Gaz has been known already to lie to the media to bamboozle the opponents and he will be back same time frame as Neto. 2/3 months. At the most

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thank you kindly, sir. My understanding was the traditional FFP (based on a rolling three year window where specialised losses of £105m is allowed) was effectively being superseded this Summer with a model based on percentage of turnover - that gets increasingly tighter over the next three seasons (90-70%). This article seems to suggest FFP on the three cycle is staying? But then, it seems the turnover rules would render FFP moot, as it is more restrictive. If you pass PSR, you almost certainly pass FFP.

The January window has always been relatively quiet to the Summer even with the old FFP, but this one has been quieter still; there may be clubs who may not be able to achieve 90% of turnover for PSR should they continue to spend in the Winter. So, I certainly accept there are weird and wonderful restrictions being imposed on clubs that we as fans are not fully apprised, and have to go off potentially incomplete info.

However, no Wolves fan was asking for multiple permanent signings replete with hefty transfer fees. All we wanted was a solitary signing of a forward on a six month loan. We're probably talking a million upfront or so, and probably less than that in wages. Considering we have sold a player for seven figures, and got wages off the books, we thought this was a realistic target as did our manager. If it did put us in trouble for PSR, I thought there was still a period in the Summer transfer window before the new accounting period starts, where we could have made up the loss with the sale of a player (see Forest's Brennan Johnson comments).

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny that you have called him jeff :) presumably a typo. As an aside I do wonder what happened to the poster Ccpnumber5
219952af-1b88-43e7-a3ad-42c92d8988f8_text.gif

As you've intuited, that was my old username. I asked the mods to deactivate it, mostly for personal reasons (stress in my life). I felt a total break from pretty much all of social media was the best course of action for me at the time. I returned about a year later when things improved, under this moniker. Now, I place more of an emphasis of being on the Football side of this forum than the political one, which was somewhat exacerbatory. At least on this side of it, we are all on the same team.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you kindly, sir. My understanding was the traditional FFP (based on a rolling three year window where specialised losses of £105m is allowed) was effectively being superseded this Summer with a model based on percentage of turnover - that gets increasingly tighter over the next three seasons (90-70%). This article seems to suggest FFP on the three cycle is staying? But then, it seems the turnover rules would render FFP moot, as it is more restrictive. If you pass PSR, you almost certainly pass FFP.

The January window has always been relatively quiet to the Summer even with the old FFP, but this one has been quieter still; there may be clubs who may not be able to achieve 90% of turnover for PSR should they continue to spend in the Winter. So certainly accept there are weird and wonderful restrictions being imposed on clubs that we as fans are not fully apprised, and have to go off potentially incomplete info.

However, no Wolves fan was asking for multiple permanent signings replete with hefty transfer fees. All we wanted was a solitary signing of a forward on a six month loan. We're probably talking a million upfront or so, and probably less than that in wages. Considering we have sold a player for seven figures, and got wages off the books, we thought this was a realistic target as did our manager. If it did put us in trouble for PSR, I thought there was still a period in the Summer transfer window before the new accounting period starts, where we could have made up the loss with the sale of a player (see Forest's Brennan Johnson comments).

Yes, agree with a loan acquisition, it would have made sense. I am quite sceptical about FFP myself, as I see it as a means for keeping the powerful clubs at the top and the aspiring clubs from challenging the top 6.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
219952af-1b88-43e7-a3ad-42c92d8988f8_text.gif

As you've intuited, that was my old username. I asked the mods to deactivate it, mostly for personal reasons (stress in my life). I felt a total break from pretty much all of social media was the best course of action for me at the time. I returned about a year later when things improved, under this moniker. Now, I place more of an emphasis of being on the Football side of this forum than the political one, which was somewhat exacerbatory. At least on this side of it, we are all on the same team.
Interesting replacement name choice though.... Jefe meaning boss or leader, person in charge.

Back
Top Bottom