Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let me put it this way. Jeff balked at a £4m loan fee for Broja, which would suggest any fee would need to be, what, £1m-3m? Even if this modest sum somehow put Wolves over the PSR red line, Jeff would have had a period in the Summer before the new accounting phase to deal with it. I believe he would have been able to achieve this comfortably, perhaps with the sale of a single player; any likely fee for Neto for example would dwarf it with ease.

Instead, he feels the season is "mission accomplished" in February and that we don't need to anything else, other than coast through to May where we reassess. You may be fine with that, but I doubt many paying supporters think it's acceptable when a new, realistic goal has availed itself as a result of the manager's excellent work. It's not, "a couple of places" - I understand 8th place is potentially a European finish this season, from which Wolves are a mere 4 points away.
Not that I think he's great, but Broja would quite easily have started 10 games for us as well. So, would end up have costing about £750k.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let me put it this way. Jeff balked at a £4m loan fee for Broja, which would suggest any fee would need to be, what, £1m-3m? Even if this modest sum somehow put Wolves over the PSR red line, Jeff would have had a period in the Summer before the new accounting phase to deal with it. I believe he would have been able to achieve this comfortably, perhaps with the sale of a single player; any likely fee for Neto for example would dwarf it with ease.

Instead, he feels the season is "mission accomplished" in February and that we don't need to anything else, other than coast through to May where we reassess. You may be fine with that, but I doubt many paying supporters think it's acceptable when a new, realistic goal has availed itself as a result of the manager's excellent work. It's not, "a couple of places" - I understand 8th place is potentially a European finish this season, from which Wolves are a mere 4 points away.

The first point is risk, the club chose not to take that risk, in a season where we needed to be prudent and have done so, I'd deem this to be very fair.

That's fine, if those supporters are unhappy, then I don't know what to say? Sorry you changed your expectations? Sometimes things dont go the way you want them to, surely as Wolves fans this would be known. :D

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A season out, is a season out when it comes to a managers life span.
Its not going to affect his job christ..

I can assure you Hobbs and Shi and the direction to GON.

And hes even quoted

Get 17th Stay up without spending anything, we will support you when we sort the finances out.

The fact we are in 11th and currently on a cup run, hes like the ****ing messiah atm

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So our forward line is going to look very different now

Sarabia Hwang Neto
Dont know if we will play a front 3

More like Hwang central neto as wide forward, sarabia in the hole as a 10. Ran to push forward on the left

Bellegarde, doyle both will get minutes either coming in midfield or wide left

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a reason though Premier League clubs don't do sink or swim situations with academy players and choose to send them out on loan (most multiple different clubs/levels).

Yes, probably because it increases the chances of success most of the time. i.e. the best chances of a player 'making it' and having a long and successful career comes from slower progression through the levels.

But that's not to say throwing them in at the deep end won't work. It just doesn't work as often as the slow and steady approach.

But most of the time, you'd never know if it would have worked or not, because it would never be tried!!

As an example, I always wonder how long it would have taken Rashford to break into the Man United first team, had United not had an injury crisis, and Martial not been injured in the warmup? Rashford went on to score 2 goals on his unexpected debut, and was then a regular the next season.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first point is risk, the club chose not to take that risk, in a season where we needed to be prudent and have done so, I'd deem this to be very fair. That's fine, if those supporters are unhappy, then I don't know what to say? Sorry you changed your expectations? Sometimes things dont go the way you want them to, surely as Wolves fans this would be known. :D
Wolves fans haven't changed their expectations. No Wolves fan expects us to finish in Europe or win the Cup, but it has now become a dream (where none existed at first). What is Football, if not about trying to fulfill the dreams of fans? Yes, there is a duty to the bottom line and all that pragmatism, but hyper-prioritising that over achievement will never endear you to the fans or the manager. Gary was hardly asking Jeff to break the bank.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Last couple of games if we are lucky.
If that is the case then trying to put the best positive spin I can on this news is that his absence will/may deter big clubs from coming in for him in the summer. If he'd carried on as he was till May I think we would have had some big bids for him which may have been hard to resist.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You’ve got a point but now there is one less option to play in a forward line. This means that Neto, Hwang, Sarabia and Bellegarde will have to muddle through with Fraser as backup.
I agree, but to say our season has been derailed by not signing a striker in January is disingenuous. Losing our best player is the reason for that. I don’t believe it’s the same. Ings or Adams weren’t replacing Cunha, who has contributed to 16 goals in our last 18 games. They’d still be on the bench this weekend.

It’s not necessarily over either, as I’m sure we were having the same conservations when Neto got injured yet we maintained our form.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can only hope its not as bad as some reports are saying
The only good thing ,if any,is that he wasnt sprinting at the time he seemed to slip and fall awkwardly
That usually means a pull more than a tear
If so i think he may be back after the international break,thats 6/7 weeks away

People are jumping on the "i told you so" bandwagon as if anyone can foretell these things
All speed merchants get these type of injuries its just a fact of life
Palace have it every other week with Eze and Olise every team that has these type of players get the same

You cant have like for like players sitting on the bench for most of the season, it just doesnt make sense
The best we can do is have youngsters that can do it for a few games, or hope we can utilise what we have for the period they are out
One man doesnt make a team,they help ofc but lets give some credit to the guys that also play here and the ones that come in
We will cope im sure,even if it means adapting our style a little

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely gutting, for him just as much as us fans and the team itself.

He’s probably in the top 3 most in form players at the moment in the league I’d say?

I’m going to give Fosun the benefit of the doubt, and put this down to misfortune. But if this doesn’t start the alarm bells (which should have already been ringing) with them about our threadbare squad, then I’ll be very concerned about their long term vision for the club.

Also feel sorry for O’Neil too, he’s been doing a great job and has had to make do without Neto, Hwang, and now Cunha for considerable chunks of the season.

SuziQ

Reaction score
How much damage will this have on O'neil?

Jiminez injury finished Nuno, as it's hard for fans to realign expectations.

No damage to O'Neil for me because I didn't expect him to still be in position now but obviously can't speak for the rest of the fanbase.

My expectations coming into the season were to avoid relegation, so they've already been met. Anything else this season when we've been cautious with money is a bonus.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, I was being nice because it's such a daft question.

Anyway, no we wouldn't have signed a player as good as Cunha because he is excellent.

However, that does not mean you don't sign anyone. It means you sign a striker and play a front three of Hwang, new striker and Neto, which could have been pretty good and helped make up for the massive loss that Cunha is.

Or you have a front three of Neto, Hwang, Sarabia, and you're bringing on a new forward instead of Bellegarde, who me and you both agree hasn't been good enough, or Nathan Fraser.

Let's not forget, O'Neil wanted a striker and a winger. If the owners had delivered on what he thought he could get, the loss of Cunha would be reduced. They didn't, so unfortunately I fear it will be a massive setback.
Losing Cunha may derail our season, but not signing a backup striker (the point you are making trying to hammer home), did not.

A backup striker would have been nice, but they still weren’t going to adequately replace Cunha if he picked up a serious injury. He’s our talisman.

If we end up getting knocked out of the FA Cup and our “European push” gets derailed it’s because we lost Cunha, not because we didn’t sign Danny Ings or Che Adams in January.

I know we aren’t going to see eye to eye on this, but regardless, we can agree losing Cunha is a monumental loss and absolutely gutting to any ambitions we had for the rest of this season.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can only hope its not as bad as some reports are saying
The only good thing ,if any,is that he wasnt sprinting at the time he seemed to slip and fall awkwardly
That usually means a pull more than a tear
If so i think he may be back after the international break,thats 6/7 weeks away

People are jumping on the "i told you so" bandwagon as if anyone can foretell these things
All speed merchants get these type of injuries its just a fact of life
Palace have it every other week with Eze and Olise every team that has these type of players get the same

You cant have like for like players sitting on the bench for most of the season, it just doesnt make sense
The best we can do is have youngsters that can do it for a few games, or hope we can utilise what we have for the period they are out
One man doesnt make a team,they help ofc but lets give some credit to the guys that also play here and the ones that come in
We will cope im sure,even if it means adapting our style a little
He had a scan, scan showed up something, i knew he was having the scan, coudlnt tell you what outcome was. But its enough for concern, they were concerned sunday but definitely it escalated. Its probably a grade 3 hamstring strain

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's almost as if this is why everyone said we should sign a backup forward on loan.
This is what penny pinching gets you.
Doesn't really affect the league season as we're midtable but dents the first 11 and potential cup run which is a shame.
When you have so few options and can't rotate, one injury can soon lead into 2 and so on. Let's hope not the case. We have done well to avoid crisis this season and we probably are where we are in the table because others have been unlucky with injuries (e.g Newcastle).

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He had a scan, scan showed up something, i knew he was having the scan, coudlnt tell you what outcome was. But its enough for concern, they were concerned sunday but definitely it escalated. Its probably a grade 3 hamstring strain
Im hoping its more a grade 2 which is 6-8 weeks out,but obviously we are just guessing
Grade 3 is out for season

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't worry we may not score so many goals . We may be very frustrating to watch but we won’t get relegated .

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don’t really care about ‘tried’ and it’s a very vague word in your sentence. Did they try? How hard did they try, if they did?

That’s without going into letting players leave before or even the finances. You seem to know more than John Percy, Gary O’Neil and Johnny Phillips who have all indicated there was money to sign players.

Anyway, it’s about what actually happens.

Once again, they’ve delivered a disastrous window which was all their own doing.
if we seriously couldn’t afford a striker then that worries me more as i’ve said before.

we were perhaps closer than we ever knew to breaching. until we know the accounts is hard to conclude either way i guess.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, but to say our season has been derailed by not signing a striker in January is disingenuous. Losing our best player is the reason for that. I don’t believe it’s the same. Ings or Adams weren’t replacing Cunha, who has contributed to 16 goals in our last 18 games. They’d still be on the bench this weekend.
I'd say that's less the point than the manager being deprived of the option. Yes, an outright centre forward won't seamlessly replace the work Cunha does in deep lying areas, this goes without saying, but it would have given Gary something different in any and all games that, for whatever reason he didn't get from Fabio or Sasa. It's less likely to me he was targeting a goal-hanger like Ings or Adams, than a more mobile team player who was not publicly identified.

Now we've lost Cunha, it brings the lack of options into clearer focus. Right now, we have available Neto (awesome), Sarabia (quality if not a little inconsistent), Bellegarde (meh), Nathan Fraser (youth kid who wouldn't be in the first team squad in normal circumstances) and Hwang (very good, but is carrying an injury too). Lose him and you can forget about it. I won't go so far as to say our season is over quite yet, as this group has shown character to overcome adversity before, but it's not a great situation. A striker in there would be really helpful right now.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if we seriously couldn’t afford a striker then that worries me more as i’ve said before.

we were perhaps closer than we ever knew to breaching. until we know the accounts is hard to conclude either way i guess.
We could afford Yuri, we just didnt want to pay1m upfront to agents same as we didnt want to pay upfront fee to Broja.

Its about ensuring the profit is above 9m for this year. Which from what i gather is going to be tight.

Difference between the year we made 18m and now is massive, given the wages we have on books the other purchases and JL severance/wages

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
how predictable.....the Shi apologists brand the naysayers 'happy to have been proven right'

Nobody is happy to have been proven right FFS.

Stop whining - because this is the longest we've been in the top flight for 40 years, nobody is allowed to air misgivings and highlight mistakes.

Modern football, you're all clowns, innit.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think this is just gonna turn into yet another season running that we are all just gonna be counting down the Matches waiting for the season to end. Think all expectations and hopes other than staying up will go out the window.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I remember it seemed like the sky had fallen in when Neto did his hamstring against Newcastle. He was unable to start in the following 10 league games but we still managed to accumulate 16 points. While not underestimating Cunha's value to the team, we're still capable of picking up a decent number of points without one of best players.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think this is just gonna turn into yet another season running that we are all just gonna be counting down the Matches waiting for the season to end. Think all expectations and hopes other than staying up will go out the window.
WIn against SU get any result against spurs means we are on 35 points, which is well and truly high and dry already tbh.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spectacular stupidity by fosun very quickly exposed.

Major loss of potential income.

Shame on all those posters who defended the policy of negligence and no ambition.

What spectacular stupidity? If being wary about breaching financial regulations is stupidity, then fair enough.

Surely you mean potential major loss of potential income.

Where is this policy of negligence? If Wolves being currently 11th in the premier league table and in the last 16 of the FA Cup shows a lack of ambition then fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom