Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man Utd fans raving about him on the metro last night, and Bueno strangely because I thought he was quiet.
Thought Bueno did well when he came on.. our delivery into the box improved markedly.

Twitter is rife with Cunha fans after last night.. think I read fans of every club saying they should sign him. Including a West Ham fan, who said they should offer us Cresswell, Antonio and 45mill for him.. lol.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I said last night, Cunha was excellent, bar that miss. His strength and skill when going forward was a joy to see. He is turning into a very good player, albeit not as prolific as Bully in front of goal. :)

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am gonna put my neck on the line and say this is his breakout season.. I think he can score goals, he just needs to believe it.

Will score 10+ and terrorise a few defences and we will get a 100mill offer for him next summer from Chelsea.

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am gonna put my neck on the line and say this is his breakout season.. I think he can score goals, he just needs to believe it.

Will score 10+ and terrorise a few defences and we will get a 100mill offer for him next summer from Chelsea.
Probably, after keeping us up, Cuhna will turn out to be Lopetegui’s greatest contribution to Wolves.
Don’t think we would have approached a game so aggressively with Lopetegui in charge.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
New to football are you?

He's mostly right though...
We keep hearing " if he keeps getting in those positions he'll score" or "if we keep creating chances we'll be battling for Europe".

Well getting the ball in the back of the net has been a problem for over 2 seasons, it was still a problem at Old Trafford.

Thought Cunha was outstanding but we still aren't putting the ball in the back of the net.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Big fan of his, just a shame he's so wasteful in front of goal. Has everything else you look for in a modern day CF - pace, power, technique, anticipation, workrate, among other things.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hopefully he can keep this level up, of near to it. He’s been great in pre season and could be key for goal involvements this season.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what’s the difference between having a defender who can’t defend and having a striker who can’t score??

There is absolutely no doubting that he’s a fantastic athlete, but for a striker, the hard currency is goals!!

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what’s the difference between having a defender who can’t defend and having a striker who can’t score??

There is absolutely no doubting that he’s a fantastic athlete, but for a striker, the hard currency is goals!!
Because a defender who can’t defend is completely useless whereas an attacker has more than one role. Yes it would be wonderful if he scored a few more but he set up a couple of chances last night and had a few of his own. As they say I would be more concerned if he wasn’t getting any

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think I would rather a player that does less of what we saw last night, but can score goals, for the price we paid. As I said in the verdict thread, Cunha had a good game, carrying the ball on occasion after occasion. He was genuinely a delight to watch, until the final 18 yards. Then....
We badly needed goals when Loppy signed him for what most have thought was over the top. He badly needs to start scoring (along with others), for us to avoid yet another disappointing season which might result in a disastrous relegation.

I dont know where you find this proven, guaranteed premier league goalscorer from for what we paid for Cunha.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
if Cunha already was the finished article, he wouldn’t be at Wolves.

He needs game time, coaching and a run of form.. he’s got it in his locker, but needs to put it into action.

He wouldn’t get the time at a top team to develop.. that’s why he is at Wolves.

10+ goals this season, I am confident.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
New to football are you?

Funny.

Remind me again how many he's scored.

If GON does turn him into a striker that scores, I'll hold my hand up. And honestly, I hope I'm wrong.

(And don't go posting his pre-signing highlights reel from YouTube. Meaningless)

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He's mostly right though...
We keep hearing " if he keeps getting in those positions he'll score" or "if we keep creating chances we'll be battling for Europe".

Well getting the ball in the back of the net has been a problem for over 2 seasons, it was still a problem at Old Trafford.

Thought Cunha was outstanding but we still aren't putting the ball in the back of the net.
I dont remember hearing any of that last season

We were woeful (not unlucky) under Lage.

We battled for points under Lopetegui

I dont think we played as well as last night at any point last season

If we play like that, we'll be fine

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He needs game time, coaching and a run of form.. he’s got it in his locker, but needs to put it into action.

If Cunha could finish, we'd be seriously struggling to hold onto him. The speed and power with which he carries the ball is truly elite. Nunes as well. They need players around them that can keep up with them. That, for me, is where Neto and Silva come into the equation.

Silva
Nunes Cunha Neto
Gomes Lemina
That's a genuinely frightening front six. It's a wonderful combination of pace, power, skill and combativeness. Now if only one of them could learn how to finish...

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Cunha could finish, we'd be seriously struggling to hold onto him. The speed and power with which he carries the ball is truly elite. Nunes as well. They need players around them that can keep up with them. That, for me, is where Neto and Silva come into the equation.

Silva
Nunes Cunha Neto
Gomes Lemina
That's a genuinely frightening front six. It's a wonderful combination of pace, power, and skill. Now if only one of them could learn how to finish...
This is where I believe confidence takes over.. Neto was a very good finisher when he first came into the team, a better finisher than Jota in fact.

But last night, he didn’t look like he believed he was gonna score that chance.. he would have taken a touch and gone across the goalie, even with his right foot, 2/3 years ago.

Every one of those players are capable of putting the ball in the net.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I hate this !!!

Was Neves not the finished article? Jimenez too???

We’re a proud club rightly restored to the top division and established there!!

This philosophy of us being some kind of second class club grates with me !!

Look how proud Raul was to wear the Old Gold. Check the tears in Ruben’s eyes in his farewell message!!

I will love it if we manage to shove all the relegation chat right back down the throats of the so called experts this season and have a barn storming season like our first or second back under Nuno!!!

Be proud of our club, don’t denigrate it. Be as proud of it as Ruben Neves and Raul Jimenez are!!
It’s a special club, with a proud history that’s the envy of most!!!

The Mighty Wolves.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont know where you find this proven, guaranteed premier league goalscorer from for what we paid for Cunha.
That's not what I said, though. You said someone who does what Cunha does AND can score goals would cost 3 x as much. I would have less of what he did last night if he could score goals on a regular basis. I.E. a preference for goals rather than both skill-sets.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's not what I said, though. You said someone who does what Cunha does AND can score goals would cost 3 x as much. I would have less of what he did last night if he could score goals on a regular basis. I.E. a preference for goals rather than both skill-sets.

That was my initial statement. I didnt say do what Cunha does either in my reply to you. I said where do you find a proven premier league goalscorer for what we paid for Cunha. 40-50 million doesnt get you that these days unless you get extremely lucky.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was my initial statement. I didnt say do what Cunha does either in my reply to you. I said where do you find a proven premier league goalscorer for what we paid for Cunha. 40-50 million doesnt get you that these days unless you get extremely lucky.
OK

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
New to football are you?

Isn't it more the other way around? You'd have to be new to football to not remember 2 years ago we did much the same in a 1-0 defeat to Man U. We've had a chronic goal scoring problem for 3+ years now, which has forced several managers to revert us to playing anti-football as we just don't have anything near a reliable goal scorer.

Though I did think last night was distinctly better overall than even those first 3 Bruno performances (1-0 defeats despite creating lots of chances), the finishing was still as dire. One match is no time to judge whether we've turned the corner. And so far, we showed not one hint of solving our goal scoring problem .Despite stellar performances all over the pitch, our finishing was worse than ever. Fill a squad with non-goalscoring forwards and you don't score goals, simple as that.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly don't get some fans, how can you watch that performance from him and just pick out the negatives?! He was a joy to watch the way he was glided past midfielders and defenders for fun they couldn't handle him!

He is clearly so much more confident/settled now in the Premier League and while he isn't a prolific goalscorer he will certainly contribute with goals this season and create chances for others he will be a massive player for us this season no doubt!

Stick him up top with Sasa Kalajdzic or Fabio Silva and the goals will come!

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

+1.

You can see why Lopetegui wanted him so badly. When he carries the ball like he did in the first half last night but on his own, there's no threat and he looks half the player. When he carries it with Sarabia and Neto breaknecking with him giving him options, he looks a different player.

I've long agreed with the sentiment our lack of goals aren't just from poor finishing. It starts with Sa lacking the confidence and presence to work with the ball five yards further forward and our previous midfield's inability to resist the press and turn and carry the ball. With Gomes and Nunes offering that in abundance last night, you can actually see what Lopetegui wanted to achieve and how he saw us scoring more goals. With this system working we will create more chances and eventually we will start scoring goals in competitive games (not just pre-season friendlies) by simply having more attempts at goal with more attacking players in the box.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't it more the other way around? You'd have to be new to football to not remember 2 years ago we did much the same in a 1-0 defeat to Man U. We've had a chronic goal scoring problem for 3+ years now, which has forced several managers to revert us to playing anti-football as we just don't have anything near a reliable goal scorer.

Though I did think last night was distinctly better overall than even those first 3 Bruno performances (1-0 defeats despite creating lots of chances), the finishing was still as dire. One match is no time to judge whether we've turned the corner. And so far, we showed not one hint of solving our goal scoring problem .Despite stellar performances all over the pitch, our finishing was worse than ever. Fill a squad with non-goalscoring forwards and you don't score goals, simple as that.
100% this

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Man Utd fans raving about him on the metro last night, and Bueno strangely because I thought he was quiet.
I thought that RAN was only good going forward and was then left out of position when ManUre had possession, and this also pulled Kilman out of position a couple of times. Bueno looked a bit more solid to me, and had better positional sense, albeit we were tending to be more attacking and in the ManUre half by then.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

How are the other non-super rich teams managing to score more than us, though? I do agree with your basic point. But I still think you can do a lot better than we have. Villa got Watkins for around £25m ,for example. Brentford have Toney, Fulham have (had) Mitrovic... Isak was around 50m, maybe a little more. We have been almost uniquely epically awful at getting goal scorers, since Raul, anyway. Hence our problems.

Beastier

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His all round performance (barring one critical aspect) was outstanding. It actually reminded me of Henri Camara when he first came to us (obviously pre him transcending into becoming The Rat).

Back
Top Bottom