Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Martin Patching

Kenny Hibbitt is my hero

Reaction score
Hoping it’s wrong as can’t see anything on the internet but a friend of mine is good mates with Luther Blissett. Apparently Martin passed away over the weekend.

Apologies if incorrect info - really hope it is. Remember him making his debut at 16 (vs. Sheff Utd I think).

EDIT - my mate mentioned this to me yesterday but it is 12 hrs on and other than the website that WickedWolfie mentions, I can’t see anything else. I sincerely hope my mate was wrong but I wouldn’t want this thread to continue just in case; and it certainly isn’t my intention to (hopefully in this instance) potentially mislead, particularly given the sensitive nature.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hoping it’s wrong as can’t see anything on the internet but a friend of mine is good mates with Luther Blissett. Apparently Martin passed away over the weekend.

Apologies if incorrect info - really hope it is. Remember him making his debut at 16 (vs. Sheff Utd I think).
Fear that there may be some truth in this... I hope not but RIP Martin if so.

Didn't know that Cauley Woodrow (Luton) was his son at least if Wiki is accurate.

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So very sad if true.

I do remember Martin Patching and to be honest was unaware who he was when he got into the first team all those years ago. His jet black hair is something I also remember. Moved to Watford after playing just over 100 games for us.

He had a good career in midfield, but never seemed to reach his full potential.

Wasn’t he an England youth international?

Very, very sad news if true.

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing but rumours on t'interweb at the moment. Hope this is false news. I also remember Martin playing for Wolves. Came slightly later than the 'golden age' of Doog, Richards, Waggy, Kenny etc..., but a decent player in his own right.
Condolences if this is correct.

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad. Condolences to his family and friends.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hopefully it is not true. I saw him play for us many times in about 1977-79. He was a Sammy Chung favourite although was a bit of a boo boy for the fans which was ridiculous as he was so young.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Sad news, and still quite young. I remember him being picked for England U21 in their first U21 match against Wales at Molineux, was so excited to see a Wolves player in an England shirt.

Also at the end of the 1976/77 after we'd clinched the 2nd Division championship against Chelsea, 12 year old me was standing in the Enclosure looking up at the team celebrating in the Director's box, Martin looked down at me and was passing down his shirt when a bloke behind me shoved me out of the way and grabbed it! So close, but thanks for the memory Martin.

Last edited:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember Martin scoring the winner in the 2-1 defeat of Man Utd in April 1978. A truly vital goal as Wolves had not won for 9 games and with 3 games left were looking like they could be about to go straight back down after winning promotion in 76/77.

The game was on Match of the Day as I remember Barry Davies waxing lyrically about Mel Eves making it 1-1.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP.
Probably one of the first players I can remember coming through from the reserves, as most of the players were experienced first team regulars when I started going.
Sadly gone too soon:(.

Lawndog

Reaction score
I remember Martin scoring the winner in the 2-1 defeat of Man Utd in April 1978. A truly vital goal as Wolves had not won for 9 games and with 3 games left were looking like they could be about to go straight back down after winning promotion in 76/77.

The game was on Match of the Day as I remember Barry Davies waxing lyrically about Mel Eves making it 1-1
Yeah, I remember that too.......he scored 7 or 8 goals that season - not bad for a player his age at the time......particularly remember his goal against Leeds on Boxing Day '77 in the 3-1 win

RutlandWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
My Dad arranged for us to go to Wolves training for my 14th birthday in 1978. We were met by Sammy Chung and the hardest working player that day was Martin Patching even though he was getting pelters every home game. The lesson I took was that booing our lads doesn't help. RIP Martin.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
Very sad , Only 65, He'd left just before I saw the light, & started supporting Wolves, RIP

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad news and always sobering when someone the same age as yourself passes away.

I remember him scoring the winner away at Bristol City on our return to the 1st division in 1977
I was at that game. Missed my cousins wedding so I could go. Won 3-2. I think Alan Sunderland scored from a saved penalty rebound. Those Were The Days.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you click on the news feed link and scroll down there is a superb article on Martin by David Instone.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Back
Top Bottom