Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mark McGhee (not dead)

Lupus ad Penn

Groupie
Reaction score
I may be wrong but didnt he buy Zejlko with another player from Leicester as part of the deal. He then denied that he had bought the goalie and Leicester threatened legal action and clown McGee backed down. It was revealed that he had indeed bought 2 players. To add insult the new goalkeeper had a nightmare on his debut and let in 4 goals? He didnt play many more times but later in his career played in a european final. Feel free to correct me folks.
He was never allowed to play for us, as the club could not get a work permit. I think he let in 4 goals playing for Leicester in a televised match at The Hawthorns. He was horrendous in that game

Big Mack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like others have said, when McGhee came in it was with much fanfare. The resulting years were a massive let down.

The game that sticks in my memory is Charlton away. I think it was midweek just before the FA Cup SF(could be wrong). We took so many players that a bunch had to sit in the away end with us. Why they travelled god knows. I remember Bully and Robbie Keane being sat behind me but there were 6 or 7 others. Charlton were far better than us and one player who was giving everything was Super Don. So McGhee subs him off to much booing etc from the away end, which the manager answered by flicking the Vs at us.

Tool.

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Animals. I bet they pronounced it the Maarnder Centre too.
Yeah, marndar and cen-ar with no 't'. How did you know?

Talking of no 't', they went round the shops, bought all the packs of Twinnings 'Lady Gray', crayfish and packs of Tiffin and left none for anybody else. They didn't even want it, just chucked it all in the fountain by the Wulfrun Centre so you could barely see the washing up liquid bubbles. Evil.

jeb01

Reaction score
Ah, Docherty; Twaddle;; and McGhee. My three least favourite managers of Wolves. In any order really.
Such was the optimism (entirely misplaced) that marked McGhee’s arrival that it took quite some time before the penny dropped and we realised we had a clown in charge.
I do remember a home game vs Huddersfield (I think) where we passed the ball around from one player to another in midfield, to polite applause from our crowd, whilst the visiting goalie leaned against one of the posts smoking a fag and reading the paper (ok, slight exaggeration, maybe). A
0 - 0 draw of course.
Actually that might have been a Twaddle game, but it was all pretty much the same in the end.
I’m still cold with rage at McGhee’s semi final team selection vs Arsenal. Just don’t get me started.
After McGhee was finally sacked, we went to Bristol City and won 6 - 1. I do so hope that the players did that in relief that the idiot was gone, and not as a farewell gesture.
Most Wolves fans had a farewell gesture that simply involved the use of two fingers.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like others have said, when McGhee came in it was with much fanfare. The resulting years were a massive let down.

The game that sticks in my memory is Charlton away. I think it was midweek just before the FA Cup SF(could be wrong). We took so many players that a bunch had to sit in the away end with us. Why they travelled god knows. I remember Bully and Robbie Keane being sat behind me but there were 6 or 7 others. Charlton were far better than us and one player who was giving everything was Super Don. So McGhee subs him off to much booing etc from the away end, which the manager answered by flicking the Vs at us.

Tool.
The SF was a crime, especially after we had spanked Leeds in the QF and proved we could do a number on top teams that season.

Was that the year when we played Wimbledon away in the cup and took 20000 to Selhurst Park?

What an away day that was!

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
International week, yawn.

I would love a bit of 'remember when' about the McGhee era as I was only 7 and don't recall much...

Were you happy when he was linked/came in? Especially when Leicester then went and got Martin O'Neill... and went up... and won a cup :(

What about the dross he signed? Adrian Williams anyone? Or was that more Hayward junior and Richards' fault?

Let's not mention the FA Cup Semi, eh?

Didn't he play 352 in the mid-nineties the absolute visionary!

And a midfield of Corica and Osborne with Atkins and Sedgely in reserve? Good lord.

I must say I'm really enjoying this thread. Thank you Kingswood Wolf!

Great read and as always with us Wolves fans, so much passion in the posts, even after quarter of a century.

McGhee era was when it all started for me. However, without internet, and with only some snippets of information in the press, I was never able to fully understand why this proud old club, obviously full of ambition, could not get to the Premier League. Lots of insight from you guys now. Can't have enough of it!

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must say I'm really enjoying this thread. Thank you Kingswood Wolf!

Great read and as always with us Wolves fans, so much passion in the posts, even after quarter of a century.

McGhee era was when it all started for me. However, without internet, and with only some snippets of information in the press, I was never able to fully understand why this proud old club, obviously full of ambition, could not get to the Premier League. Lots of insight from you guys now. Can't have enough of it!
I'm not. It's reminding me of the mind-crushing disappointment of the mid to late 90s. Watching page 325 on Teletext if not at the game and swearing as it eventually got to page 4 to show we'd conceded to Grimsby. I'll never regret it but the nadir was undoubtedly under Hoddle. Mcghee was just an idiot but people forgot that Hoddle took thousands off the gate. I know people who stopped coming and they and their family and the thousands of pounds they contribute over decades got stripped out of our club. Even now, my mate who totally gave up football just says "Rohan ****ing Ricketts" when the subject comes up.

Hoddle came with great pedigree but half-hearted intentions. A fascination with sock colour and an idiot car salesman brother to be our scout. He left out the back door at a time it would go unnoticed on the eve of a season like a pussy because the till wasn't wide open enough. And some younger Wolves supporters wonder why the older ones are dead against the articulate Spurs legend when he's pundit on the telly.

In short for that period:

**** you McGhee
Thanks for trying Colin
Thank you Dave Jones
**** you Hoddle.

Back
Top Bottom