Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Marcus Bent

B

Bostin

What a waste of wages that was! We could have added what we paid him onto our maximum weekly wage and got Wayne Bridge in ffs. Come on Jez, get off yer fat $$$$ :rolleyes:

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Kevin Phillips were available I think he would be a much better short term option than Bent.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never understood the signing. Surely Keogh or Wardy [as he showed] could have done better than the ineffectual and completely useless impact Bent made in his 5 appearances [or even Vokes].

Panic signing on the eve of the end of the Transfer Window. Hopefully an [expensive] lesson learned. In future let's not simply sign makeweight $$$$e just for the sake of it.

If we can see it why the hell can't the cogniscenti who run our club ?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jabbawolf

I never understood the signing. Surely Keogh or Wardy [as he showed] could have done better than the ineffectual and completely useless impact Bent made in his 5 appearances [or even Vokes].

Panic signing on the eve of the end of the Transfer Window. Hopefully an [expensive] lesson learned. In future let's not simply sign makeweight $$$$e just for the sake of it.

If we can see it why the hell can't the cogniscenti who run our club ?

But Keogh wanted to play - he didn't want to be 4th striker.

Vietnam Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But if Keogh would have stayed with hindsight he would have played, and if he'd made an impact ;unlike Bent] he could have stayed in the side as we were struggling up front. The fact that Wardinho was promoted tells its own story.

Actually I'm not questioning letting Keogh go to Cardiff ... My problem is the panic buying of Bent in the last 4 hours of the transfer window which IMO was a complete waste of money on completely the wrong player for our side as it was then [and frankly any time].

D

Dorset DeWolf

Terrible signing, so uninspiring, yes he was 4th choice, but he was also never going to be able to offer anything at all in the way of an attacking option, good riddance

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just checked the official site and note he came as a sub for Leicester in the second half of the 4-3 when the score was 3-2 to them. Trivia of the afternoon.

E

envillewolf

What a waste of space! .... Still clears the deck for the next one ...

D

Dewsburywolf

Not the first player that comes to mind when a team's looking for a cutting edge :rolleyes:

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But if Keogh would have stayed with hindsight he would have played, and if he'd made an impact ;unlike Bent] he could have stayed in the side as we were struggling up front. The fact that Wardinho was promoted tells its own story.

Actually I'm not questioning letting Keogh go to Cardiff ... My problem is the panic buying of Bent in the last 4 hours of the transfer window which IMO was a complete waste of money on completely the wrong player for our side as it was then [and frankly any time].

How would Keogh have played more than Bent?:confused:

He was signed as cover which fortunately we didn't need. Had we had injuries up front like in midfield he would have been called on a lot more. By your logic anyone in the squad who doesn't play is a waste of space.

Presumably we have broken about even on his and Keogh's wages so rather than criticise be thankful we have been able to call on better players and we'll never really know how good or bad he is.

manc_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
for me... the Bent signing met expectations....

I didn't expect him to do anything whatsoever...

D

Deleted member 4008

I wouldn't slate him that much he hardly played . I mean Waghorn or Morrison are hardly going to put another 2000 on the gate are they ? Keane would but for some reason last year he was good enough but not now. I bet Jez was praying Blues got him quick so that he would be able to be linked to us any more.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually saw him play for Wolves and he did ok for me. Surprised he didn't get more of a go as in the limited time he got, he did ok.

Don't get some of the OTT criticism of him.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A total waste of time - I am sorry but it was an unbelievably naff and mindless signing.

I am not saying that we should have kept Big Chris Iwelumo but I am saying he would have been at least 10 times more useful a squad member than Marcus Bent thats how poor a signing he was.

I cant believe why even Mick with his patchy record of signings wanted to have him for even a day. A complete no-hoper that sent out totally the wrong signal to our supporters as well as our rivals.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iwelumo couldn't cut it at this level. After a decent start he's tailed off again at Burnley and his lack of mobility was chronic when he featured last season. Bent has done it at PL level manytimes before and needed a fresh start- a short term, low cost low risk gamble when getting our main targets became unachievable.

Robbie Keane might put a few- certainly not 2000- on the gate on his debut, but are the lack of big names really impacting on attendances? I think not.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wouldn't slate him that much he hardly played . I mean Waghorn or Morrison are hardly going to put another 2000 on the gate are they ? Keane would but for some reason last year he was good enough but not now. I bet Jez was praying Blues got him quick so that he would be able to be linked to us any more.

Fair point about Bent. As for Keane, last year he was good enough for a loan but this year he is not for loan - he is only for sale, which puts a very differend slant on it. Blues apparently think they can do better for the dosh - and so do I.

PS Big names don't attract supporters - points, goals and exciting football do - though not necessarily in that order.

Tired&Emotional

Groupie
Reaction score
Iwelumo couldn't cut it at this level. After a decent start he's tailed off again at Burnley and his lack of mobility was chronic when he featured last season. Bent has done it at PL level manytimes before and needed a fresh start- a short term, low cost low risk gamble when getting our main targets became unachievable.

Robbie Keane might put a few- certainly not 2000- on the gate on his debut, but are the lack of big names really impacting on attendances? I think not.

Pretty much agree with you apart from the bolded statement.

After very quick research, I reckon he has played 212 times in the Premier League and scored 40 goals. He has never 'done it'.

I'd have been very disappointed if we'd signed him as we have Doyle, Fletcher, Ebanks-Blake, Ward and (if he stays fit) Vokes who are (or potentially, in Vokes's case, could be) far better than Marcus Bent has ever been.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bent has, Ipswich and sheffield utd apart, never been prolific, yet his best form was at Everton as a target man. With Doyle looking fragile at the start of the season, question marks over SEB after a poor season and Fletcher offering a different option, Bent was signed as the guy who could step in and do Doyles job which he did so well at everton. Just my take on it.

Haggstone

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Reminds me of when people were complaining about the millennium bug not happening and saying the money on prevention was wasted because no planes fell out of the sky. He came to cover injuries that thankfully never occurred to the extent that he was needed. Prevention is always better than a cure. Still we always need something to moan about evidently.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reminds me of when people were complaining about the millennium bug not happening and saying the money on prevention was wasted because no planes fell out of the sky. He came to cover injuries that thankfully never occurred to the extent that he was needed. Prevention is always better than a cure. Still we always need something to moan about evidently.

Excellent analogy. I could understand the abuse if he'd played and been crap. We'll never know what he would have done in a Wolves shirt - probably not a great deal but it doesn't matter now.

Back
Top Bottom