Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Madrid Match fixing?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was watching Wolves in a Cardiff pub, on our final whistle Real were awarded an exteremely dubious penalty. I can't believe that was legit, he then sends Buffon off for probably saying for what I just did. Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 3751

I was watching Wolves in a Cardiff pub, on our final whistle Real were awarded an exteremely dubious penalty. I can't believe that was legit, he then sends Buffon off for probably saying for what I just did. Thoughts?

Michael Oliver behaving like Stuart ****twell from what I saw. Buffon did argue vociferously but I could understand it

Erick1011

First Mexican Wolves fan
Reaction score
I thought it was a penalty and while Buffon’s red was harsh, he didn’t cover himself in glory with his reaction. Benatia is dumb for making that challenge through the back of an attacker.

Also, it’s not a very good idea to label it match fixing just because of a stupid ref. Remember Real scored an offside goal that was a very close call and they didn’t count it.

D

Deleted member 5276

I also thought it was the right decision. I'd also like to see more ref's sending players off for the manner in which they dispute decisions. No problem with Oliver IMO.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was a penalty and while Buffon’s red was harsh, he didn’t cover himself in glory with his reaction. Benatia is dumb for making that challenge through the back of an attacker.

Also, it’s not a very good idea to label it match fixing just because of a stupid ref. Remember Real scored an offside goal that was a very close call and they didn’t count it.
Real Madrid seem to be on the recieving end of very fortuitous decisions, particularly in Europe. Perhaps this time it can be put down to the ineptitude of another overrated English referee though.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely a penalty. Buffon was sent off for being a mouthy ****.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tackle from behind, defending player with what appears to be both feet off the ground and a knee in the forward’s back. Forward went down very easily but everyone does now. Defender gave the referee a decision to make and he made it.

It was a similar situation to Coady at Cardiff. Probably a challenge a defender shouldn’t make but does because they feel as though they have to.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very risky challenge then!
It shouldn't have to be though. Every tackle is a risk. If you don't execute it properly it's a foul. You should be able to challenge for the ball knowing that if you don't foul an attacker it's not a foul.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not seen the game but I personally think Michael Oliver is a very good ref on the whole.

T

TurboTaco91

Definitely was a penalty, if that happened to a Wolves player you'd be screaming bloody murder

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definite penalty, not sure how you can argue with that.

And Oliver was right to send Buffon off, you can't react like that.

Not sure what people expect from Refs sometimes, their expectations are totally unrealistic.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Definite penalty, not sure how you can argue with that.

And Oliver was right to send Buffon off, you can't react like that.

Not sure what people expect from Refs sometimes, their expectations are totally unrealistic.

I'll disagree with you again on this one :p

Cardiff and Real Madrid both get in my eyes debatable penalties in the space of a few days. What similarities do both instances have?

Both were given to the HOME side in front of a big crowd.

That's the problems I have with refs. They're bottlers. The home side or the big side invariably get most of the decisions.

Generally speaking, nearly every side will have a better home record than away. Why is this? Most pitches are the same, it's still 11 v 11.

Obviously there are other factors but a big one is that the refs favour home teams. From buying free-kicks on the halfway line to giving debatable penalties, they are massively influenced by the crowd IMO.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll disagree with you again on this one :p

Cardiff and Real Madrid both get in my eyes debatable penalties in the space of a few days. What similarities do both instances have?

Both were given to the HOME side in front of a big crowd.

That's the problems I have with refs. They're bottlers. The home side or the big side invariably get most of the decisions.

Generally speaking, nearly every side will have a better home record than away. Why is this? Most pitches are the same, it's still 11 v 11.

Obviously there are other factors but a big one is that the refs favour home teams. From buying free-kicks on the halfway line to giving debatable penalties, they are massively influenced by the crowd IMO.

No problem, forums are all about different views after all :D

And I wouldn't say they are bottlers, I'd say it's probably a normal human reaction to instinctively side with the tens of thousands appealing rather than the much smaller minority you can't even hear.

But to be honest, I don't really think Refs in general are that influenced by home crowds, although I guess this can vary by personality. I always liked Phil Dowd as a Ref personally because he never seemed to care who and where is was reffing, he just gave it as he seen it.

Michael Oliver is one of our country's best Refs, which is evidenced by his appointment to such a big European game at a late stage of the competition. Not to mention that he's not as experienced as many of the Refs still around at the top level. I obviously didn't get to watch the game as I was at the Molineux but I thought that Juve couldn't complain about the penalty, it was clumsy defending into the back of an opponent. I'd expect such a foul to be given on the halfway line in any stadium, so I'd expect it to be given in the penalty area too.

D

No problem, forums are all about different views after all :D

And I wouldn't say they are bottlers, I'd say it's probably a normal human reaction to instinctively side with the tens of thousands appealing rather than the much smaller minority you can't even hear.

But to be honest, I don't really think Refs in general are that influenced by home crowds, although I guess this can vary by personality. I always liked Phil Dowd as a Ref personally because he never seemed to care who and where is was reffing, he just gave it as he seen it.

Michael Oliver is one of our country's best Refs, which is evidenced by his appointment to such a big European game at a late stage of the competition. Not to mention that he's not as experienced as many of the Refs still around at the top level. I obviously didn't get to watch the game as I was at the Molineux but I thought that Juve couldn't complain about the penalty, it was clumsy defending into the back of an opponent. I'd expect such a foul to be given on the halfway line in any stadium, so I'd expect it to be given in the penalty area too.

Bottlers is probably a bit much and it's only certain decisions.

But, I do think they have a massive influence on teams. Take Cardiff, 48 points at home, 32 away. That's a massive difference and I'm convinced a big reason for that is the referee. How else would you explain it?

He will have Warnock in his ear, the crowd complaining for free-kicks and anything can be dangerous there. For instance, giving away a free-kick on the halfway line can lead to a goal when they send everyone up.

We should've been the latest victims.

And, yes I can see why he gave the Madrid penalty, and I agree he would give it on the halfway line. However, it's naive/stupid to think that the same rules apply. Again, they should, but in the real world they don't.

Benatia has tried to hook the ball, missed the ball but made minimal contact with Vasquez who is already on his way down.

For me, it's not a penalty and it's never ever ever ever a penalty for Juventus in the 93rd minute at the Bernabeu up the other end.

It also happens too often for my liking as well, Madrid benefitted from a **** ref against Bayern last year.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bottlers is probably a bit much and it's only certain decisions.

But, I do think they have a massive influence on teams. Take Cardiff, 48 points at home, 32 away. That's a massive difference and I'm convinced a big reason for that is the referee. How else would you explain it?

He will have Warnock in his ear, the crowd complaining for free-kicks and anything can be dangerous there. For instance, giving away a free-kick on the halfway line can lead to a goal when they send everyone up.

We should've been the latest victims.

And, yes I can see why he gave the Madrid penalty, and I agree he would give it on the halfway line. However, it's naive/stupid to think that the same rules apply. Again, they should, but in the real world they don't.

Benatia has tried to hook the ball, missed the ball but made minimal contact with Vasquez who is already on his way down.

For me, it's not a penalty and it's never ever ever ever a penalty for Juventus in the 93rd minute at the Bernabeu up the other end.

It also happens too often for my liking as well, Madrid benefitted from a **** ref against Bayern last year.

In Cardiff's case, I'd argue that it's probably easier to impose yourself on a team when you're at home and that's certainly what they like to do in a physical sense.

Some teams do better away than at home too due to how they set up (I think that was the case with us in a few seasons just gone), so I don't think the argument of Refs favouring home teams, actually rings true.

And I agree it's not quite the same when giving a penalty as a freekick on the halfway line, I only referee grassroots football (mainly the older youths) but you do naturally tend to set higher thresholds of what you will allow inside the box.

Still think the defender is at fault here though, I always say not to give the Ref a decision make........Benatia got the wrong side of Vasquez and basically panicked.

G

gordonchas

Seriously? QPR have 38 at home, 15 away. Birmingham have twice as many home points as away. Villa, Millwall, and Sheffield United have similar home/away records to Cardiff.

In League 2, Forest Green have 29 points and 11 away, where I doubt the ref can even hear the crowd above the din of sheep and windmills.

In League 1 Southend have accumulated 39 points at home and only 14 away. Referee intimidation?

As for the thread title. Words fail me.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
This and the Coady one were penalties.
The attacker made the most of it, but if a defender comes in from behind and knocks the attacker over how can anyone say it's not a foul?

Haven't a clue what the striker was doing though, why didn't he just head the ball in, free header, 5 yds out!?

Then Buffon's reaction was poor, even pushing the ref in the back a couple of times. definite red card.

I wonder what game some people are watching sometimes.

D

Seriously? QPR have 38 at home, 15 away. Birmingham have twice as many home points as away. Villa, Millwall, and Sheffield United have similar home/away records to Cardiff.

In League 2, Forest Green have 29 points and 11 away, where I doubt the ref can even hear the crowd above the din of sheep and windmills.

In League 1 Southend have accumulated 39 points at home and only 14 away. Referee intimidation?

As for the thread title. Words fail me.

You're backing up my point.

What are you saying if it's not to do with officials?

Why is QPR considered a tough place to go because the crowd is on top of you? Does a nasty word put off a professional footballer or is the referee more likely to buckle under pressure from the crowd.

Football is the same. 11 v 11, near enough same size pitches, most in our league anyway at a good standard. So why are teams so much better at home than away on the whole?

I'm not saying it's totally down to the referee but I think it plays a big part.

D

Do you know what any of them said ?

I don't, but I don't know what Buffon said either.

I can imagine they were all along the same lines and if one went they should've all gone for 'foul and abusive language'.

loopy lupine

Reaction score
You're backing up my point.

What are you saying if it's not to do with officials?

Why is QPR considered a tough place to go because the crowd is on top of you? Does a nasty word put off a professional footballer or is the referee more likely to buckle under pressure from the crowd.

Football is the same. 11 v 11, near enough same size pitches, most in our league anyway at a good standard. So why are teams so much better at home than away on the whole?

I'm not saying it's totally down to the referee but I think it plays a big part.

Would you say we've won most of our home games this season because of the referee?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I don't, but I don't know what Buffon said either.

I can imagine they were all along the same lines and if one went they should've all gone for 'foul and abusive language'.
The difference is it is documented that Buffon was sent off for foul and abusive language and as I said previously I doubt Oliverspeaks Italian so presumably Buffon swore in English ,we don’t know about the others .
As a Referee you are taught to hone in on the main perpetrator-presumably Buffon and similar to when you get a massed pile up you nail the one/s who threw the first punch .To send off multiple players in such situations is difficult and can render the game a farce .
It is a difficult one to contend with and in my view Oliver handled it correctly.I don’t know what else he could have done .

D

Would you say we've won most of our home games this season because of the referee?

No, and I'm not saying other teams do because of the ref.

I'm saying they're influenced by home crowds.

That might not impact a team like us that much, but teams like Cardiff and QPR where a soft free-kick on the halfway line, or a throw in that can get launched into your box makes a big difference over the season.

Surely it's a big factor.

Take the two incidents mentioned, I don't for a minute think Juve get that penalty at the other end, nor do I think Mike Dean gives us that on Friday.

Generally, teams get more points at home, that's a fact and I think the referee plays a big part in it.

Thikning more about it now, is it particularly direct teams?

Take the Championship, Millwall and Cardiff are two of the most direct teams I've seen, both have got a lot more points at home than away. I think that's helped by getting these iffy decisions, the pressure on the ref.

If not, how can the same players, manager, team etc. be so different at home than away.

I bet the difference between Tony Pulis' home record vs away record is massive - but it has nothing to with the refs?

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
Just seen the highlights of this game - IMO it's a clear penalty. Benatia runs into the back of Vazquez and doesn't get close to the ball.

That doesn't change even if you hate Real Madrid or love Buffon.

Also Buffon, as much as I've loved watching him over the years, can't react like that. The ref had no option but to send him off. Maybe if Buffon had reacted just a little less maniacally he could have saved the pen and become a hero all over again? But we'll never know and that is entirely due to Buffon's reaction to a penalty that would be given 9 times out of 10, not the referee who happened to be Michael Oliver.

Back
Top Bottom