Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both your sentences are wrong.
I don’t really like or dislike the guy……never quite took to him even at the beginning.

And of course he helped keep us up…..but I doubt we’d have survived without the efforts of Dawson and Podence too.
So you dislike the idea of him coming back to Molineux yet you state that he was instrumental in keeping us up. How bizarre, if I may say so.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Transfermarkt appear to have gotten the Vallecano stat wrong. 10 games it is. Even so, it's a stretch to say he has been a club manager for 20 years. That implies he had a number of jobs consistently across that time, and lost all of them. He had a whopping 10 games as a total rookie in 2003, then didn't manage a first-team club side for another 11 years - because he was serving his country (with distinction) at youth level. He didn't really become a manager in earnest until 2010 if we're being fair, when he took the Spain U19 job.

In my opinion, he is a Europa calibre manager, perhaps a notch or two below Emery, but several notches above what Wolves fans can expect from a typical appointment.
Jesus, he was serving his country, because most clubs thought he was crap and not up to managing a club, not because he wanted to be a youth manager for his country.

Last edited:

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s simple..

If JL wins 2 or more European cups with West Ham, he is better than Moyes.

If he wins 1 European Cup with West Ham, he is equal to David Moyes.

If he wins no European Cups with West Ham, he isn’t as good a manger as David Moyes.

All the other comparisons are subjective.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s simple..

If JL wins 2 or more European cups with West Ham, he is better than Moyes.

If he wins 1 European Cup with West Ham, he is equal to David Moyes.

If he wins no European Cups with West Ham, he isn’t as good a manger as David Moyes.

All the other comparisons are subjective.
He’s won the Europa league which is better than the conference that Moyes won.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Different team all together, doesn’t fairly compare sadly. As I said previously, JL actually harmed Sevillas Europa League ratio by not winning 50% of the time he was there.. Lols.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having lived in West Ham country I imagine it's lads who despite growing up comfortably (which Dyer didn't but I'm ignoring that fact) walk like they've **** emselves, use the C word in front of their mom, and think football factory was a documentary.
You mean it wasn’t a documentary?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus, he was serving his country, because most clubs thought he was crap and not up to managing a club, not because he wanted to be a youth manager for his country.
How do you know that? Simple arithmetic tells me he was 43 when he took the Spain U19 job. Sure, it's more common these days with Gary, Iraola etc, but I doubt many managers in their early 40s were being considered for top jobs in the late 2000s. It may alternatively have been in his late 30s, he wanted to cut his teeth from within the setup at Real Madrid and learn from the coaches there before making his own move into management.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So did the the same club he left in the relegation zone, in the same season. David Moyes as far as I know, didn't aquire a record spend, the same as Lopetegui did, both at Oporto and Seville.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How do you know that? Simple arithmetic tells me he was 43 when he took the Spain U19 job. Sure, it's more common these days with Gary, Iraola etc, but I doubt many managers in their early 40s were being considered for top jobs in the late 2000s. It may alternatively have been in his late 30s, he wanted to cut his teeth from within the setup at Real Madrid and learn from the coaches there before making his own move into management.

Because he was out of work and a freind of his from when he was playing at Real Madrid got him the job. You do know how many youth cups Spain have won don't you?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Just for the avoidance of doubt, I know it's a Lopetegui thread, but my input is about why he left and what it tells us about where we are now.

Of course if you want to, you can imagine he was treated fairly and honestly and he's just a primadonna. So we can all move on.

Or you can see that OK he didn't feel that he owed the club enough to stay regardless, but he was promised things that never materialised and decided to leave.

The point is that if you believe the second one, then it's not water under the bridge, the problem is still there just waiting to be repeated. In fact it already was repeated in January to a lesser extent. O'Neil got on with it, because he's certainly no primadonna, and he doesn't have great options yet. If it happens again in the Summer though then we'll be looking at our 3rd great manager in Fosun's time falling out with the club over finances and ending up leaving.

Those who fail to learn the lessons of history.....

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because he was out of work and a friend of his from when he was playing at Real Madrid got him the job. You do know how many youth cups Spain have won don't you?
I am working off of information I can find online, granted. For instance, his PPG of ~2.89 for Spain U-21s looks unbelievably good to me. Feel free to correct me, but his career up until getting the Spain youth job appears to read thus:

02/03: Retires as a player. Spain U-17s Assistant Manager, Rayo Vallecano Assistant Manager,
03/04: Rayo Vallecano Manager, sacked after 10 matches,
Works in media until after the 2006 World Cup,
06/07: Becomes Real Madrid chief scout,
07/08: Promoted to Real Madrid reserves manager.
08/09: Leaves Madrid and is out of work for a year.
10/11: Gets the Spain U-19s job.

So again, though he is 57, he hasn't been managing for nearly as long as you would have us believe - barring a short stint at Vallecano. His early career saw him wear many hats, working as an assistant, chief scout, B-team manager and in Spanish media, with one year out of work prior to Spain U-19s. Learning about the many facets of the game, you might say. I'll take your word that a friend got him that position, and it was not him interviewing well or the normal things a person does to get a job.

Even so, his career appears to have taken the right path for someone trying to cut their teeth and gradually build a reputation (unlike a Lampard or a Gerrard, whose reputation as top players got them jobs above their capabilities at the time). Maybe there was a bit of luck / who you know in getting into the Spain setup, but I think he has demonstrated since then that he is far from "crap".

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just for the avoidance of doubt, I know it's a Lopetegui thread, but my input is about why he left and what it tells us about where we are now.

Of course if you want to, you can imagine he was treated fairly and honestly and he's just a primadonna. So we can all move on.

Or you can see that OK he didn't feel that he owed the club enough to stay regardless, but he was promised things that never materialised and decided to leave.

The point is that if you believe the second one, then it's not water under the bridge, the problem is still there just waiting to be repeated. In fact it already was repeated in January to a lesser extent. O'Neil got on with it, because he's certainly no primadonna, and he doesn't have great options yet. If it happens again in the Summer though then we'll be looking at our 3rd great manager in Fosun's time falling out with the club over finances and ending up leaving.

Those who fail to learn the lessons of history.....
But history was repeated, he did the same, less than 9 months before, when he left Seville.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am working off of information I can find online, granted. For instance, his PPG of ~2.89 for Spain U-21s looks unbelievably good to me. Feel free to correct me, but his career up until getting the Spain youth job appears to read thus:

02/03: Retires as a player. Spain U-17s Assistant Manager, Rayo Vallecano Assistant Manager,
03/04: Rayo Vallecano Manager, sacked after 10 matches,
Works in media until after the 2006 World Cup,
06/07: Becomes Real Madrid chief scout,
07/08: Promoted to Real Madrid reserves manager.
08/09: Leaves Madrid and is out of work for a year.
10/11: Gets the Spain U-19s job.

So again, though he is 57, he hasn't been managing for nearly as long as you would have us believe -

I don't want you to believe anything. He started managing in 2003 and the fact that he hasn't been managing first team clubs for more than 6.5 years in the 21 years, speaks volumes to me. It is hardly the stuff of an elite manager.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't want you to believe anything. He started managing in 2003 and the fact that he hasn't been managing first team clubs for more than 6.5 years in the 21 years, speaks volumes to me. It is hardly the stuff of an elite manager.

Thats a weird argument by somebody who cant get past their dislike for Lopetegui. Look at Bob Paisley for example. He was an elite manager, yet he only managed at first team level for 10 years out of 24.

Thats not saying JL is elite, but he's top level. Very few managers are elite.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've changed the goal posts again by now saying managing first team clubs'.
All I can say is I wish I was a £1 behind JL.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats a weird argument by somebody who cant get past their dislike for Lopetegui. Look at Bob Paisley for example. He was an elite manager, yet he only managed at first team level for 10 years out of 24.

Thats not saying JL is elite, but he's top level. Very few managers are elite.
He’s done pretty well at almost every club he’s been at including Wolves so that speaks for itself really. His ego and entourage yeah not the best but Nuno had the same kind of family clan back room staff. It’s what unites clubs. The cohesion is very important.

Like Loppy or not we have to thank him for his time at Wolves and move on??

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s done pretty well at almost every club he’s been at including Wolves so that speaks for itself really.
No he hasn't. He only did well at Seville then left them with their worst La Liga start.He lasted 10 matches at Real Vallecano, 14 at Real Madrid and won nothing with a record spend at Oporto.
That is not the trajectory of an elite manager.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thats a weird argument by somebody who cant get past their dislike for Lopetegui.

I don't care about him. I was just pointing out about his tenancy to be problematic and that his club management record is nothing to write home about, certainly not Elite.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn’t JL think the squad was relegation material? While we’ve slumped we’ve not flirted with that in the slightest. Either way I’d say he’s shown him up because he’s a novice PE teacher who Bournemouth didn’t want but has done better than his elite level predecessor thought he could do. Plenty of pundits had us nailed on in the summer for relegation
Your first part, I’m not so sure. I think it’s open to interpretation as he said the squad wasn’t good enough to compete, not that the squad is relegation fodder. Unless I missed an interview, which I’ll obviously hold my hands up to.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't care about him. I was just pointing out about his tenancy to be problematic and that his club management record is nothing to write home about, certainly not Elite.

Of course you dont care about him
Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

loppers86

Reaction score
No he hasn't. He only did well at Seville then left them with their worst La Liga start.He lasted 10 matches at Real Vallecano, 14 at Real Madrid and won nothing with a record spend at Oporto.
That is not the trajectory of an elite manager.
i was so excited when he was originally linked and devastated when he backed out. I soon got over it and forgot about him when Nuno came along.

i got excited again when he joined, was devastated when he left, and would have got over him seeing as how good GON is.

but you just won’t let it lie will you? lets face it without JL we would be toast now.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but your wrong. I disliked him and his antics a long time before he came to Wolves, but I don't care where he goes and I definitely won't be using him as a stick to attack Fosun with. The bloke has no integrity whatsoever.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry but your wrong. I disliked him and his antics a long time before he came to Wolves, but I don't care where he goes and I definitely won't be using him as a stick to attack Fosun with. The bloke has no integrity whatsoever.
Of course that is your subjective view others have a different view.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know he and Fosun have given us our highest league standards in over 40 years and made us in to an established Premier League club. I also realise that FFP was a game changer for a lot of clubs this season.
Doesn’t answer the question though.

Back
Top Bottom