Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sevilles whole squad up for sale to pay off massive debts. Sound familiar? Should do. Lopetegui worked his magic there as well ****ing the club up in the long term...

Thats on Monchi, he pretty much did the same to Roma aswell, be a real real shame if he did it to Villa aswell wouldnt it ...

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
@Stourport wolf
By going on social media and going public, it was only going to end in one way, he wouldn't be here by the start of the new season. He took the initiative and so I stick with my opinion, he orchestrated his own departure.
Your opinion might be different to mine, but by saying you discredited my lie, is in itself a lie. I gave an opinion based on the what he has done before and what he was doing in the interviews in social media and am happy to stick with my opinion, he orchestrated his own removal. You are never going to get what you want by blackmailing a football club, unless you are Seville of course, who didn't give in untill the season had started and their club could see, it was better to let a manager go, who didn't want to be there.
Monch said, he should have let him go before the start of the season. That speaks volumes to me.

Even then you don't quote your own claim. You didn't say he 'orchestrated his own departure', which he clearly did in that he decided to leave. You said 'he orchestrated his dismissal' which he clearly didn't, since he wasn't dismissed.

Your opinions of Lopetegui were cast in concrete before he left Seville though, so arguing with you about what happened at Wolves is pointless.

Didn't leave every club in a lower league position than when he arrived, Porto and Wolves were both higher.
Didn't **** on his national team, got shafted by Rubiales.
Didn't orchestrate his dismissal at Wolves as he didn't get dismissed.

All untrue claims you've made about him.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So it's looking likely we'll be making a couple of additions to the first team.

Does this call Lopetegui's whole version of events into question? The one where we couldn't even sign free transfers.
I dunno. I think what he said was mostly fairly realistic. He never said we haven't got a pot to **** in, he said we couldn't get the top level targets he wanted, the mid level targets he wanted or the players out of contract he wanted and didn't like the fact Raul was going apparently against his will.
Personally I think his demands of us with regards to timing may have been unrealistic. Who knows?
The media took what he said to mean we haven't got any money. I don't think he did us any favours by giving that interview really.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dunno. I think what he said was mostly fairly realistic. He never said we haven't got a pot to **** in, he said we couldn't get the top level targets he wanted, the mid level targets he wanted or the players out of contract he wanted and didn't like the fact Raul was going apparently against his will.
Personally I think his demands of us with regards to timing may have been unrealistic. Who knows?
The media took what he said to mean we haven't got any money. I don't think he did us any favours by giving that interview really.
Lopetegui your eternal victim, lol.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even then you don't quote your own claim. You didn't say he 'orchestrated his own departure', which he clearly did in that he decided to leave. You said 'he orchestrated his dismissal' which he clearly didn't, since he wasn't dismissed.

Your opinions of Lopetegui were cast in concrete before he left Seville though, so arguing with you about what happened at Wolves is pointless.

Didn't leave every club in a lower league position than when he arrived, Porto and Wolves were both higher.
Didn't **** on his national team, got shafted by Rubiales.
Didn't orchestrate his dismissal at Wolves as he didn't get dismissed.

All untrue claims you've made about him.

I did correct the before Wolves, as you well know
He did orchestrate his leaving of Wolves. . He got paid money to leave, which is what he was looking for by going public in his interviews. Dismissal, or coming to an agreement is irrelevant. He tried to **** Wolves over and you are still supporting him

He was sacked by Spain, because there was a concern about him selecting Real Madrid players not on merit, but because he was their future manager.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course it does. Two players having medicals according to Sky, costing actual money, and no sales since Lopetegui left as far as I can see (as yet)

Always wary that his side of the story was leaked so quickly by Guillem (load of) Balagues and these moves make it look like a load of ****, getting his excuses in early
Now, I might be a bit slow here, but I do believe we are also selling a player, do correct me if I am wrong.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I did correct the before Wolves, as you well know
He did orchestrate his leaving of Wolves. . He got paid money to leave, which is what he was looking for by going public in his interviews. Dismissal, or coming to an agreement is irrelevant. He tried to **** Wolves over and you are still supporting him

He was sacked by Spain, because there was a concern about him selecting Real Madrid players not on merit, but because he was their future manager.
Oh for goodness sake. I'll tell you what, one more and you can have the last word. I'll concentrate on potential new signings.

Neither of us know what he got paid, if money was his prime motivation then surely he'd have stopped with us, after all he had a contract he apparently wasn't worthy of for 3 more years.

Unless you can show me different Rayo Vallecano was a bit of a joke situation, he left Porto higher than when he joined (I know he spent big), Real Madrid didn't work out at all, Sevilla he was successful until the last season, Wolves we all know what happened. That's his club record. 2 complete car crashes, two reasonable efforts and one very successful one that ended badly.

This is Rubiales statement when Lopetegui was sacked "We have been obliged to fire the national coach," Rubiales said Wednesday. "We wish him the best, he has done an excellent job in getting us to the tournament. But the federation cannot be left outside the negotiation of one of its employees, and find out just five minutes before a public announcement. If anybody wants to talk to one of our employees, they have to speak to us, too. That is basic, as this is the team of all Spaniards. The national team is the most important we have; the World Cup is the biggest of all."
No mention of playing Real Madrid players.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now, I might be a bit slow here, but I do believe we are also selling a player, do correct me if I am wrong.
Well you seem to have missed the "(as yet)" bit. And seeing as these medicals began before any agreement with City was reached over Nunes it's pretty clear we could sign players, though it was always, always going to be late in the window

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh for goodness sake. I'll tell you what, one more and you can have the last word. I'll concentrate on potential new signings.

Neither of us know what he got paid, if money was his prime motivation then surely he'd have stopped with us, after all he had a contract he apparently wasn't worthy of for 3 more years.

Unless you can show me different Rayo Vallecano was a bit of a joke situation, he left Porto higher than when he joined (I know he spent big), Real Madrid didn't work out at all, Sevilla he was successful until the last season, Wolves we all know what happened. That's his club record. 2 complete car crashes, two reasonable efforts and one very successful one that ended badly.

This is Rubiales statement when Lopetegui was sacked "We have been obliged to fire the national coach," Rubiales said Wednesday. "We wish him th
We best, he has done an excellent job in getting us to the tournament. But the federation cannot be left outside the negotiation of one of its employees, and find out just five minutes before a public announcement. If anybody wants to talk to one of our employees, they have to speak to us, too. That is basic, as this is the team of all Spaniards. The national team is the most important we have; the World Cup is the biggest of all."

No mention of playing Real Madrid players.

This is an interesting article about the conflict of interests and saying both used the media for their own gain in the Spanish national team saga.

Sorry, but you will have to press translate yourself,.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If my employer had out and out lied to me then l would absolutely reserve the right to publicly call them out.
And how do you know that ALL future spending etc wasn't discussed and explained before Lopetegui
Accepted the job???
Surely that's a question he would have asked at the interview??

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well you seem to have missed the "(as yet)" bit. And seeing as these medicals began before any agreement with City was reached over Nunes it's pretty clear we could sign players, though it was always, always going to be late in the window
No it's not, it's called getting your ducks in a row before any club realises you've got bucks to spend.

Chances are Nunes has been agreed a while back and Wolves just needed time to get bids out.

Plus, don't negate City helping us get Bueno. Girona is owned by City Group.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he wasn't happy, he could have left. He forced his departure. He was never going to blackmail Wolves like he did at Seville. It went to the wire, but Wolves had no option to come to an agreement with him. No point in having a manager, who didn't want to be here.
But why did he want to leave ?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No it's not, it's called getting your ducks in a row before any club realises you've got bucks to spend.

Chances are Nunes has been agreed a while back and Wolves just needed time to get bids out.

Plus, don't negate City helping us get Bueno. Girona is owned by City Group.

Ducks in a row... just like Lopetegui in the three months up to his departure

Let's see how much we spend between now and the end of the window, and if it works out as costing us over £12m a year in wages and amortisation costs (roughly what Nunes cost), be in no doubt that Lopetegui and his mate were full of ****

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Let's see how much we spend between now and the end of the window, and if it works out as costing us over £12m a year in wages and amortisation costs (roughly what Nunes cost), be in no doubt that Lopetegui and his mate were full of ****
We’ve done bugger all in the transfer market until we’ve sold Nunes and you still think Lopetegui is in the wrong?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So it's looking likely we'll be making a couple of additions to the first team.

Does this call Lopetegui's whole version of events into question? The one where we couldn't even sign free transfers.
Can't even sign free transfers could mean we didn't/couldn't sign Costa and Adama, both players who he wanted to stay.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Again, pedantic.

This is literally what you said... "We don't even know what the promises were. He mentioned a list of a-targets b-targets and c-targets, and that we'd got none by a certain point; we don't know how realistic any of them are and for what reason they failed".

You called me out for using conjecture, then used it yourself. I merely pointed to the fact...

Now your pointing to the fact that I pointed out the fact, for some reason.

You're right, it is a bit odd.
I am calling you out? I don't really see where I do.
Anyway, this thread is about Lopetegui, not me and I doubt anybody actually wants to read this.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve done bugger all in the transfer market until we’ve sold Nunes and you still think Lopetegui is in the wrong?
He is in the wrong, what is debatable is what percentage of the blame for the debacle can be placed on his doorstep.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had to spend a fortnight getting a new guy in. Should we have been signing players then that a new manager might not want?

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

You seem to be completely ignoring the £53m in cash that we're getting. That's another £23m on the books.

Last edited:

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Now that the dust is settling on the great Jeff v Julen debate, let's just take out time out to think about who was actually at the game v Blackpool on Tuesday, applauding the 5 goal thrashing and who was probably stamping his feet somewhere, muttering drat, drat and double drat...

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Now that the dust is settling on the great Jeff v Julen debate, let's just take out time out to think about who was actually at the game v Blackpool on Tuesday, applauding the 5 goal thrashing and who was probably stamping his feet somewhere, muttering drat, drat and double drat...
Honestly don't think anything that has happened since the day Lopetegui left will have made him regret his decision. Hopefully we do well despite the way Fosun have decided to cash in on their asset and maybe the crap about how they had no choice due to FFP will stop too.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I often get accused on here of being a Fosun fan boy (I’m really not I just try and take my wolves glasses off and look bigger picture).

For me the whole JL leaving position is 50/50 in my eyes. He comes across as having a certain level of arrogance and I’ve no real issue in that as the best managers and players tend to have it. I think he was talked into the job massively (that’s on Fosun and Jeff). I know he had personal issues with his dad etc but looking back now it SEEMS that was potentially JL getting a big budget in winter (which he did). I feel the club then pulled a certain amount of what would have been the summer budget to keep him happy and signed on. The rest is on him in my eyes. Sure the budget changed (as above I think they moved it to help in Jan) but how he handled it afterwards was poor from a professional coach. He didn’t need to come out straight after the season and make waves and he certainly didn’t have to do the interview with Bellague in a club tracksuit basically digging out his employers. He had two options he could have walked at the start of the summer and said “things have changed, I can’t work like this I’m off” or he could have put his head down worked with what he had and REALLY prove how good he is.

I really wanted him here, he’s a good coach but he’s got a touch of the Conte and Mourinho in him where he’s stropped off like a petulant child who didn’t get his way. I didn’t and don’t want O’Neil as the difference in level is there to see, but as a person I’d take O’Neil.

In 15 years time we’ll barely remember JL in the same way we won’t remember Guedes. Talented but not ever part of the “pack”

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I often get accused on here of being a Fosun fan boy (I’m really not I just try and take my wolves glasses off and look bigger picture).

For me the whole JL leaving position is 50/50 in my eyes. He comes across as having a certain level of arrogance and I’ve no real issue in that as the best managers and players tend to have it. I think he was talked into the job massively (that’s on Fosun and Jeff). I know he had personal issues with his dad etc but looking back now it SEEMS that was potentially JL getting a big budget in winter (which he did). I feel the club then pulled a certain amount of what would have been the summer budget to keep him happy and signed on. The rest is on him in my eyes. Sure the budget changed (as above I think they moved it to help in Jan) but how he handled it afterwards was poor from a professional coach. He didn’t need to come out straight after the season and make waves and he certainly didn’t have to do the interview with Bellague in a club tracksuit basically digging out his employers. He had two options he could have walked at the start of the summer and said “things have changed, I can’t work like this I’m off” or he could have put his head down worked with what he had and REALLY prove how good he is.

I really wanted him here, he’s a good coach but he’s got a touch of the Conte and Mourinho in him where he’s stropped off like a petulant child who didn’t get his way. I didn’t and don’t want O’Neil as the difference in level is there to see, but as a person I’d take O’Neil.

In 15 years time we’ll barely remember JL in the same way we won’t remember Guedes. Talented but not ever part of the “pack”
Absolutely this. Now the thread can end!

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The main problem is will anyone remember O'Neil as it is all about here and now .

Everyone says England won the world cup back in 1966 . That's great but doesn't really affect the current situation with England .

Newcastle had Ashley but that is a distant memory now for them and they are a club on the up .

For me all boils down to one thing Money . you get the odd rare instance of successful teams for a season or two, but look at Leicester won the league didn't spend the season after and keep moving forward by upgrading players in their team and they now are in the championship.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The main problem is will anyone remember O'Neil as it is all about here and now .

Everyone says England won the world cup back in 1966 . That's great but doesn't really affect the current situation with England .

Newcastle had Ashley but that is a distant memory now for them and they are a club on the up .

For me all boils down to one thing Money . you get the odd rare instance of successful teams for a season or two, but look at Leicester won the league didn't spend the season after and keep moving forward by upgrading players in their team and they now are in the championship.
I agree with what you’re saying. Just don’t think JL was ever a “wolf”. It seems he very much came on his own terms and left on them as well. For me personally I like players and managers who buy into the club and JL to me is much like Nunes is “could have been great but always had eyes elsewhere”. I don’t expect managers or players to be like fans, that’s just crazy but if you compare Nuno/Neves with JL/Nunes it’s night and day.

I don’t think O’Neil will do well for us unfortunately but I’d absolutely love him to prove me wrong. He seems a man of humbleness and integrity which his predecessor lacked.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Very fair.

The JL situation will always be a regret for me. A high level (but not elite) coach, who ultimately decided -for whatever reason- that Wolves wasn't a place he could do his job. But if he so clearly didn't want to be here then we were absolutely better off parting ways, as much as it angered and frustrated me.

What will be interesting in the long-run will be to see of this is a moment that defines the club for the better or worse. Do we come to look back on it as the moment we all realised we could never be that top level club? Or does it become seen as the moment the club realised it needed a rethink, to focus in on a more manageable model, and began to build to the next level in a more sustainable way?

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

I think my colours are nailed, stapled and glued to the mast, but I'd agree that's not far off. He certainly could have stayed and I think he'd have done OK. I don't think they just moved the summer spend early (or probably more accurately used it to get Cunha and Boubacar in), I think the goalposts moved. For me the huge transfer profit we're about to turn this summer shows that this isn't about FFP, but Chinese politics.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is part of the problem and partly why I bang on about a plan or strategy .

As when Nuno was here you could sort of see a plan and idea of what we were about .

Now I don't know if the majority of the players deep down want to be here . As they know that we are just a stepping stone type club to move on from . Yes you could say that about many teams , but going back years you could try and think that we would target the top 7/8 teams and progress with the club developing the ground etc .

Just seems like a pipe dream to me .

So if GON had a good season top 10 he would be off , Gomes he would jump ship . Fabio we all know if a club came in today he would want out .

Just seems hard at times as a fan to look at the club a see no identity at the moment .

That is not potentially down to the manager or players but the owners imo with a lack of strategy.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think this is part of the problem and partly why I bang on about a plan or strategy .

As when Nuno was here you could sort of see a plan and idea of what we were about .

Now I don't know if the majority of the players deep down want to be here . As they know that we are just a stepping stone type club to move on from . Yes you could say that about many teams , but going back years you could try and think that we would target the top 7/8 teams and progress with the club developing the ground etc .

Just seems like a pipe dream to me .

So if GON had a good season top 10 he would be off , Gomes he would jump ship . Fabio we all know if a club came in today he would want out .

Just seems hard at times as a fan to look at the club a see no identity at the moment .

That is not potentially down to the manager or players but the owners imo with a lack of strategy.
Fosun didn’t help themselves when they walked in and started talking about “10 years and champions league”. It was naive and/or bullish. There was lots of reports how they thought they could make money in football from player trading and networks of clubs working with Gestifute but I suppose had they came out and said that was their aim they’d rightly have took a lot of criticism.

I’d have been happy (very happy) in being a top 6 club, playing in the Europa league and perhaps winning a cup (any cup). Football is a play thing for billionaires not something an investment company built on leveraged debt could ever make work realistically. Newcastle have a plan and a strategy and it will work eventually as they have a whole countries finances behind it. For all villa are having a good time now their owners will get bored eventually as they’ll realise the true extent of what they need to spend to get there and stay there. You’ll get occasional disrupters like Brighton and Leicester but eventually you fall away when you realise the gap is just too big to bridge for a long period.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely only Newcastle could offer him a transfer budget he’d be happy with? :tearsofjoy:

Back
Top Bottom