Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

T

TheConcourse

He manipulated his sacking, with the help of his media freinds. It is nothing new to Lopetegui. Complain publicly about transfers and show that he has no interest, bottle or decency and all he cares about is the pay off and not the club that is employing him.
Keep ignoring the facts to drive this agenda.

We’re looking at cold hard evidence to suggest that he’s been sold down the river by Jeff. Best not to completely ignore that stuff.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So to be clear Real Madrid appointed a coach who wasn't really qualified to coach the level of player they had at the time. He didn't really have anywhere near experience in club football and hadn't really achieved anything.

So basically just like us appointing O'Neil.
Said that l wasn't going to say more but...

Even though he was coaching many of the very same players in the Spanish national team having also done so for the national age group teams.....

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Said that l wasn't going to say more but...

Even though he was coaching many of the very same players in the Spanish national team having also done so for the national age group teams.....
I've always thought he was a top coach and we should have done everything possible to keep him (and his backroom staff). I disagreed when we were told he was a bad appointment as he wouldn't be up for the relegation fight. I think the people who think he should have stayed this season for the love of Wolves despite being obviously repeatedly lied to are passionate fans who aren't seeing the realities of the situation. I think there is probably some truth though in the reasons he failed at Real Madrid though, same as Nuno at Spurs, same as (although I really hope I'm wrong) O'Neil won't work out at Wolves.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But he doesn’t need Wolves? Adding a mid-table finish to a club in the Premier League barely enhances his profile at all.

I suppose it’s possible that he’s sat in front of a camera and lied. But that also means that Hobbs did the same when he talked about £8-£15m transfers.

Of course it would enhance his profile. A mid table premier league finish with a squad that needed investment would be a good achievement.

Personally, i think Lopetegui and Shi are both telling porkies to some extent. How much i doubt we will ever know. Hobbs i dont believe is. I reckon he was told to look for players in that price bracket, and then the goal posts got moved and he had to change his tune. I couldnt see him coming out like he did and saying the project is back on without something to go on. He's probably just a victim of being an employee who is doing what he is told if he wants to keep his job.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It is pretty obvious to anyone with any objectivity that Lopetegui was a manager of high standing in the game, and GON by comparison is just a punt.

With Lopetegui, and his strong backroom team, in charge we could look forward to mid table, potentially pushing into top 10, which is where he got us last year.

With GON in charge, we can look forward to a relegation battle, and likely another change of manager half way through the season and another payout.

I blame Shi and Hobbs entirely for this. All they needed to do was give Lopetegui 3 or 4 players to shape his squad for the new season.

If it was preferable from their point of view to keep that £45mill (minus his payout) in the bank, that's their call, but let's not be surprised when it ends in relegation.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can we all agree he’s a **** and close the thread
We shouldn't, because I suspect this thread will be increasingly revisited as the season progresses. Lopetegui I feel will increasingly be viewed through rose-tinted specs. The only persistent argument from a minority will be that he's a ****, which is really no argument at all.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christ the pining for him on here is amazing. I bet the same folk trawl Facebook trying to find their ex partners and thinking “what if…..”

He’s good, but he’s hardly a club legend. Regardless of what went on in the summer he handled it appallingly and then left with days before the season start, hardly the actions of a man who loved the fans.

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Christ the pining for him on here is amazing. I bet the same folk trawl Facebook trying to find their ex partners and thinking “what if…..”

He’s good, but he’s hardly a club legend. Regardless of what went on in the summer he handled it appallingly and then left with days before the season start, hardly the actions of a man who loved the fans.
No-one cares if he loved the fans. We want a manager we are convinced can keep us in the PL and Lopetegui was just that. GON is nothing like the same calibre of manager- he can't even get a post half time warm up routine going.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No-one cares if he loved the fans. We want a manager we are convinced can keep us in the PL and Lopetegui was just that. GON is nothing like the same calibre of manager- he can't even get a post half time warm up routine going.
Seems from what he had said so far is that he wants an aggressive approach, which they’ve achieved in large parts over the two games but without goals.

That’s a plus from me as most fans are bored to death of our negative play over the last three seasons. Whether he can get his message across and develop tactical nous along the way we will find out soon enough.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By walking when he did all he showed was utter contempt for the fans. I don’t want someone like that in charge.

T

TheConcourse

Of course it would enhance his profile. A mid table premier league finish with a squad that needed investment would be a good achievement.

Personally, i think Lopetegui and Shi are both telling porkies to some extent. How much i doubt we will ever know. Hobbs i dont believe is. I reckon he was told to look for players in that price bracket, and then the goal posts got moved and he had to change his tune. I couldnt see him coming out like he did and saying the project is back on without something to go on. He's probably just a victim of being an employee who is doing what he is told if he wants to keep his job.
I respect your opinion. I don’t necessarily agree with all of it, but fair play for adding context and backing it up.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is pretty obvious to anyone with any objectivity that Lopetegui was a manager of high standing in the game, and GON by comparison is just a punt.

Firstly, the average neutral football supporter in Spain, thinks he is a Mendes puppet, that got top jobs because of Mendes, not because of his football credentials. Secondly how well or badly GON does, has nothing to do with how good or bad Lopetegui is. Lopetegui left Wolves days before the season started and has utter contempt for Wolves and their fans.

Last edited:

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lop still the best manager we've had in decades and yes, that includes Nuno, as much as the latter was great, Lop's CV is superior.

The fact we couldn't keep him speaks volumes about FOSUN's utter lack of ambition and strategy for the club.
I agree with that completely. JLo is certainly the best manager I've ever seen at Wolves. However, certain clubs suit certain managers. I wouldn't say Poch is a better manager than Conte, but for Spurs he certainly was. The same goes for us with Nuno/JLo.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keep ignoring the facts to drive this agenda.

We’re looking at cold hard evidence to suggest that he’s been sold down the river by Jeff. Best not to completely ignore that stuff.

The facts are, he did almost exactly the same thing less than a year ago at Seville. He orchestrated his own sacking, using the media and basically blackmailing both clubs to sack him.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tbf, this thread isnt so much about Lopetegui but more about Fosun and their complete pulling of the plug.

If say Potter was in charge now, and we had made a couple of even half decent signings, Lopetegui would hardly get a mention and be but a footnote in our history.

Instead, he was the stalking horse that bought the whole house of cards crashing down.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves didn't sack Lopetegui - it was a mutual agreement.

"The head coach and club acknowledged and accepted their differences of opinion on certain issues and agreed that an amicable end to his contract was the best solution for all parties."

Looks to me like Wolves accepted they could not meet his expectations.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it will be interesting when the accounts for this period are published and we see how much we had to pay him to leave by mutual agreement. I guarantee it will have been enough to have bought a decent CB with, and likely an another player too. Instead we’ve got GON in charge and no new signings. ****ing wonderful.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it will be interesting when the accounts for this period are published and we see how much we had to pay him to leave by mutual agreement. I guarantee it will have been enough to have bought a decent CB with, and likely an another player too. Instead we’ve got GON in charge and no new signings. ****ing wonderful.
Too right, no wonder with clowns in charge, a clown of a manager we end up with a **** circus.

T

TheConcourse

The facts are, he did almost exactly the same thing less than a year ago at Seville. He orchestrated his own sacking, using the media and basically blackmailing both clubs to sack him.
Him leaving Sevilla (after 4 years by the way) was the outcome. The events leading up to him leaving provide the context.

My understanding was that they sold his team and failed to reinvest. Feels like he’s within his rights to leave.

Wolves gave him what, a 3 year deal? They repeatedly lied about investment and so he decided he wanted to move on.

He’s well within his rights to kick up a fuss if what was sold wasn’t forthcoming. I don’t understand why fans have such an issue with that.

Sounds like JL was genuinely worried about the shape of the squad, and judging by Saturday, he was right to be. Why should his reputation become collateral damage when he’s been sold something different to the reality?

I’ll say it again.. -20m net spend. You’re mad if you think a manager like that is operating under those conditions.

D

Deleted member (smith)

So was he sacked as claimed, or was it a mutual agreement?

he was not sacked…he had a contract…he wanted to negotiate its termination ( for good reason?) and made it impossible to stay ( he wasn’t going to knuckle down and make the best of a bad job and used his press contacts to stir the pot) and so he and wolves mutually agreed to part ways . Great shame.Jeff didn’t want him to go and felt after the big January spend we could do well and take a years pause on transfers in to keep within the maximum loss which had already been incurred.JLO felt he was misled.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves didn't sack Lopetegui - it was a mutual agreement.

Looks to me like Wolves accepted they could not meet his expectations.
The thing i don't get is why are we paying him any compensation?
That for me is like robbing from the club. I'm not going to manage under these conditions, fair enough; but why the hell should he be getting a settlement?

T

TheConcourse

That for me is like robbing from the club. I'm not going to manage under these conditions, fair enough; but why the hell should he be getting a settlement?
Because it sounds like he signed a contract under a different impression.

Payout covers: him wasting his life, him and his team generating Wolves £150m+ revenue by keeping us up, him potentially missing out on other opportunities, dragging him and other members of his team across Europe.

He deserves the money. Jeff ****ed him, and everyone else. No doubt he’ll see his earnings increase though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Errm, because he and his staff had a multi year contract guaranteeing them that income. He was within his contractual rights to demand all of it, and we were in our rights to demand he stays and do the job he was paid for. But the club decided that was not in the club’s interests, and he wanted out, so they had to agree a mutual settlement.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Errm, because he and his staff had a multi year contract guaranteeing them that income. He was within his contractual rights to demand all of it, and we were in our rights to demand he stays and do the job he was paid for. But the club decided that was not in the club’s interests, and he wanted out, so they had to agree a mutual settlement.
And I'm in my rights to think he's a money grabbing ****. It's not like we haven't got a team we can field. It is not like his staff couldn't work for us without him.
And I think he knew what he was doing from the word go. Go in; keep them up; use the job as a stepping stone. Only nobody wanted him.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Random thought…why has he stayed around Wolverhampton and is it just a coincidence that Shi and Guo have turned up in town …..tho’ I’m struggling to turn that into a conspiracy theory

AlwaysAwolf

Reaction score
I’m with Lopetegui - if the goalposts were changed to such an extent he felt he could not do his job efficiently then he is well within his rights to walk. We won’t get a better manager and coaching setup in my opinion anytime soon. If he’s still sticking around I wonder if the differences in opinion can be resolved and he can come back because with O’Neil we are only going one way unfortunately.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And I'm in my rights to think he's a money grabbing ****. It's not like we haven't got a team we can field. It is not like his staff couldn't work for us without him.
And I think he knew what he was doing from the word go. Go in; keep them up; use the job as a stepping stone. Only nobody wanted him.
Agreed

Back
Top Bottom