Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still think if Lopetegui feels he has been lied and is unhappy, he should just walk. I'd have a lot more respect for him if he did.

The relationship between him and Shi/Fosun is probably untenable now.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Seriously?...

All smells of clickbait, red-top news stories, WUMs...especially this 3 hour talk with O'Neil....despite what Johnny Philips says.

Is JLo really about to walk away from best looking pre-season team performances, spirit, squad and results, that I can recall over decades? ( 2 Champions League teams, 1 Europa League and 1 winner of EFL playoff).

We have 4 games (inc. League Cup) before usual 31 Aug deadline day (the Saudi deadline day is 20 Sep for sales), to show what the team can really do, and who, what, where, if players needed, so unless JLo & Shi personal relationships broken beyond repair, why walk now?

That said, I hope he turns up for training on Tuesday!...and next Monday.

Last edited:

SanFranWolf

Transfer summary thread supremo
Reaction score
We’ve been hard enough to watch on the pitch but seeing this farce play out amongst the clubs leadership is utterly embarrassing.

Why do we make running a football club look so much harder than everyone else?

Someone please make it stop.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
May have been mentioned, I can’t wade through 20 pages, but…

Isn’t it now clearly a case that JL wants to go but won’t resign cus of the money and Wolves know he wants to go but don’t want to pay compo to him and his 371 members of staff?

Basically they are all just in a stand off?

Johnny Phillips confirmed this on Talking Wolves.

Mentioned a few times that the money Lopetegui is on is astronomical, and his staff.

Said he won’t walk away because some of his staff are on money they’ve never seen before and won’t see again by the sounds of it.

Added Wolves can’t afford to sack him. But they could meet in the middle or an agreement, which sounds like it might happen. Either way, still a massive payout for us.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indirectly telling a squad of players pre season that they're not good enough to compete in the Prem is a disgrace. Pack your bags.
The new manager has an easy pitch to the players - prove JL wrong.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would recommend all to listen to Talking Wolves.

Johnny Phillips is very balanced and Lopetegui doesn’t come across well when he breaks things down.

However, I still don’t get the leap to Gary O’Neil.

The only complaint I’d have with Johnny Phillips is he’s far too pro O’Neil on the basis he can’t give an answer when asked what other Premier League club would appoint him.

So loses a bit of credit for that.

As I said before, if Lopetegui goes and you get a Graham Potter, most will believe they have the best interests of Wolves at heart.

Things changed with Lopetegui, so they went out and got a Potter or some other high calibre coach who would work here without all the noise that Lopetegui is bringing.

Going to O’Neil makes it all finances. And, no matter how Phillips or anyone tries to spin it, it would show zero ambition and be entirely done because he’s cheap and won’t complain.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
FFS, it's so tedious now, like some marital breakdown, and we're the annoying, moaning kids stuck in the middle - they both need a good shaking and told to either go their separate ways or hurry up and kiss and make up. It's giving me flashbacks to a ****ty family camping holiday in France when I was a kid! ;)

Last edited:

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mentioned a few times that the money Lopetegui is on is astronomical, and his staff.

Said he won’t walk away because some of his staff are on money they’ve never seen before and won’t see again by the sounds of it.

Added Wolves can’t afford to sack him. But they could meet in the middle or an agreement, which sounds like it might happen. Either way, still a massive payout for us.
Why meet in the middle of they want to spend zero though

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely reminds me of the situation at Spurs last season, and the power struggle between Levy and Conte, with Conte demanding quality additions. Julen and Conte both appear quite emotional and animated, and Jeff definitely reminds me of Levy.

Last edited:

Pseudonym

Groupie
Reaction score
There is absolutely no doubt that we’d be so much worse off without him but is it ok to also be really, really fed up with his attitude? I don’t think these two thoughts are mutually exclusive.

Quite obviously, FOSUN via Shi have cooked the whole situation through years of mismanaged financial decisions, many of which were Mendes serving — and this financial mismanagement has unfortunately caught up with us and reared its ugly head when we have arguably our most high-profile manager in modern times at the helm.

However, there is still a decent PL squad there to be managed, some of whom came to the club specifically for him and he’s going to leave them after 6 months and claiming they’re not good enough for the league ?

Yes, the situation isn’t quite what you had forecast or potentially what you were told but why not keep accepting the reported 3 x higher managerial and team salary Wolves are giving you and make a bit of a fist of it.

People are now incredibly well aware of our financial situation, what is there to lose reputation wise? No one expects us to do well and he can blame the constraints as the factor and he comes away unscathed.

However, as dire as the situation is, these rogue comments (of which he has form) and unsanctioned journalist videos have poorer optics and don’t reflect well on him at all.

Johnny Phillips’ comments about his attitude are really pertinent in this regard. He worked relative miracles to keep us up but one has to recognize that his managerial career has been rife with reported discontent.

Sacked from Porto
Sacked from Spain job after accepting Real Madrid job, suggesting his process wasn’t exactly above board
Sacked from Madrid
Sacked from Sevilla after countless reported run ins with Monchi and public airing of laundry

And yes I know every manger gets sacked — that’s the game — but his issues have been much more public knowledge and tainted with attitudinal problems

This really all feels like a perfect storm of FOSUN and Shi moving the goal posts but also the manager recipient being prone to throwing toys out of the cot. A shocking mix and one I think is only going to end one way.

JL gone

I think many on here owe @Stourport wolf an apology. Go back and read his/her consistent Lopetegui comments throughout and they’re all coming to fruition

Last edited:

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure I see it like that.. it will be Fosuns decision to close the funds off.. Jeff’s job to try and keep JL happy (which he isn’t) whilst trying to convince Fosun to open the purse strings again. I kind of see him as the patsy here.. (a well paid one).

I expect he wants JL to stay and be happy.. it will give him job security if the team performs. He won’t want to be running around trying to find a decent coach again.
Fosun may have closed the funds off but I see it as Shi’s job to manage the club’s finances on a day to day basis and yet we appear to be in danger of FFP breach and/ or we have no money for signings. That’s down to Shi.

We significantly overpaid for Fabio, Guedes, Semedo, Cunha, Nunes, Hoever.

We were supposed to have a “sell to buy policy” and yet failed to sell Traore, Neves, Raul, Hwang at their peak and reinvest.

We sold Jota and Doc too cheaply and the payment terms for Jota were too generous to Liverpool.

That is why we are in the financial mess we are in, and that’s all down to Shi.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want Lopetegui to stay.

But if he's going to leave, I'd look at Potter, Ruud, Boras, and O'Neil.

I think O'Neil and Boras are the only two who would come though.

Maybe I'm missing someone too. But that's off the top of my head.

Julian Nagelsmann would obliviously be amazing but there's zero chance.

Why would any coach with a decent standing in the game go to a club with a minus £20M transfer budget ?

O’Neil would come in a heartbeat as he probably thought he wouldn’t be lucky enough again to get a Premier gig.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indirectly telling a squad of players pre season that they're not good enough to compete in the Prem is a disgrace. Pack your bags.
The new manager has an easy pitch to the players - prove JL wrong.
I am fairly sure that JL said specifically that he was happy with the players that were here but he wanted additions. He did not say they were not good enough.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely if the worst happens and Lopetegui goes, the only answer is Potter.
For those that think Potter is the answer, remember that at Chelsea he failed to get the support of the squad and the team were accused of not being fit enough to compete. I am not sure that Potter is the answer.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is absolutely no doubt that we’d be so much worse off without him but is it ok to also be really, really fed up with his attitude? I don’t think these two thoughts are mutually exclusive.

Quite obviously, FOSUN via Shi have cooked the whole situation through years of mismanaged financial decisions, many of which were Mendes serving — and this financial mismanagement has unfortunately caught up with us and reared its ugly head when we have arguably our most high-profile manager in modern times at the helm.

However, there is still a decent PL squad there to be managed, some of whom came to the club specifically for him and he’s going to leave the after 6 months and claiming they’re not good enough for the league ?

Yes, the situation isn’t quite what you had forecast or potentially what you were told but why not keep accepting the reported 3 x higher managerial and team salary Wolves are giving you and make a bit of a fist of it.

People are now incredibly well aware of our financial situation, what is there to lose reputation wise? No one expects us to do well and he can blame the constraints as the factor and he comes away unscathed.

However, as dire as the situation is, these rogue, unsanctioned journalist videos have poorer optics and don’t reflect well on him at all.

Johnny Phillips’ comments about his attitude are really pertinent in this regard. He worked relative miracles to keep us up but one has to recognise that his managerial career has been rife with reported discontent.

Sacked from Porto
Sacked from Spain job after accepting Real Madrid job, suggesting his process wasn’t exactly above board
Sacked from Madrid
Sacked from Sevilla after countless reported run ins with Monchi

And yes I know every mangers gets sacked — that’s the game — but his issues have been much more public knowledge and tainted with attitudinal problems

This really all feels like a perfect storm of FOSUN and Shi moving the goal posts but also the manager recipient being prone to throwing toys out of the cot. A shocking mix and one I think is only going to end one way.

JL gone

I think many on here owe @Stourport wolf an apology. Go back and read his/her consistent Lopetegui comments throughout and they’re all coming to fruition
interesting comment regarding @Stourport wolf …….it certainly looks like Jl’s relations with clubs is always rocky.
I‘m not saying who’s right or wrong but JL shouldn’t be using the media so much. A little discretion wouldn’t have been out of place.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It may well be that we’re saving whatever money we have for transfers in case a new guy comes in so he can buy a few of his own players.

Hope they can get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Reaction score
I doubt we would go for Edwards as Fosun wont want to pay Luton off. It'll be a manager out of a job ie Gary Oneil

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s no doubt that Jlo would get the best out of this squad BUT it pains me to see this bloke not wanting to manage our club, the way he’s handled himself recently hasn’t been good. The interview with his buddy was poor and an insult to the club imo. He isn’t going to be here come Xmas so it’s in the best interests of the club to get this sorted asap.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think he's far wrong, however it's probably money rather than ego. Jeff doesn't want to pay and Julen doesn't want to miss out on the most lucrative contract of his career.
Surely there will be a pay off clause in JL's contract lower than his contractual salary.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The shambles of the club and fosun/Jeff is one thing, Lopetegui has made it another now.

To be honest I want him to go now and part of me has been leaning that way for a while.

He clearly does not want to manage this club anymore, why would we want someone here like that?

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone that reads my posts will know I absolutely love Julen Lopetegui. To me he is easily the most elite manager we have ever had the fortune to have managing our team.

However.

Wolves are my family and they will always come first. So if I see us being disrespected, which we are, and someone who I believe clearly doesn’t want to be here and is not only posturing and angling to be sacked (paid off) but also publically weakening our position in many ways - particularly after how he was backed in January- then my shine for him will go very quickly.

It’s inevitable he will go unfortunately in either a few days or a few weeks. I hope you know what you are doing next Wolves, I really do.

****ing meh.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
There’s no doubt that Jlo would get the best out of this squad BUT it pains me to see this bloke not wanting to manage our club, the way he’s handled himself recently hasn’t been good. The interview with his buddy was poor and an insult to the club imo. He isn’t going to be here come Xmas so it’s in the best interests of the club to get this sorted asap.

Yeah he's not very likeable is he? His achievement last year glosses over his disrespect for the club and us fans.

He only ever came for the money, his Dad miraculously recovered when Jeff returned with a bumper contract. He's looking for excuses to go home ASAP with as much money in his pocket as possible.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So we’re back to criticising the club because of some clickbait article?

Some people are just desperate for any excuse to moan.
Johnny Phillips isn’t clickbait & again, Julen potentially walking goes right in line with what Relevo said back in May. (Spanish outlet that broke the news of him agreeing to stay back in May 3 weeks before Percy revealed, who Lopetegui’s backroom staff would be, Neves leaving for Saudi, Sarabia signing, etc.)

25th May Relevo tweeted:

“The Wolves and Lopetegui have met this week and have decided to stay together.

The owner promises to invest, as Julen demanded, to improve the squad.”

With the Journalist who wrote the article adding on:

“He has good offers, but the club guarantees that there will be many more signings than departures. We will see if it is like that or in August the tension continues.”

3 Weeks later on June 15th Percy Tweets:

Again, all this is in line & adds with Lopetegui's recent comments about moving from plan A, to plan B & now plan C...

This promise of signings to keep him on back in May could prove so costly if we have to get a new coach in before the season starts. Wasting all the hard work in the training camps, preseason games etc. that actually looked like they were coming to fruition vs Rennes...

Last edited:

Redrockwanderer

Reaction score
Although I don’t believe JL has acted in the most professional manner, he hasn’t been left much choice.

I’m normally quite calm about situations, however this is a total embarrassment to the club. It shows how poorly we’re run! Fosun haven’t learnt lessons and appear to be stubborn. I’m firmly pushing myself into the #fosunout club. They’ve allowed this to go on all summer, it’s totally unacceptable!

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Phillips talking about Lopetegui on the podcast (recorded earlier tonight) from around 30 mins in. Basically says the club are frustrated with Lopetegui and his public statements. His view, is that the relationship may be beyond repair, and it’s only money keeping JL here. He says JL did a lot of due diligence on Wolves before he arrived. He can’t afford to walk, and Wolves can’t afford to sack him. It’s not just him, it’s the staff too, it’s a massive amount of money involved. Phillips talks up O’Neil, says he’s well spoken.

He was pressed on whether he thinks JL will be in charge for Man Utd, and he doesn’t know, but if pressed, thinks he won’t be. Because of the money involved, it would need to be by mutual agreement as neither could afford to force it. Even a mutual separation would cost as much as signing someone like Elvedi to put the figures into perspective.

Imagine us not having the cash to sign a decent CB because we need to prioritise replacing Lopetegui with Gary O’Neil lol

GateWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
This all boils down to a mismatch in ambition.
JLo wants to be competitive in the league so his aim is for a top 8 to 10 finish
Shi on the other hand for FFP or other reasons is simply is looking to survive for another season
needs someone to bang some heads together because neither are backing down and until one or both do, this will simmer along in the background

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It may well be that we’re saving whatever money we have for transfers in case a new guy comes in so he can buy a few of his own players.

Hope they can get it sorted sooner rather than later.
I dunno about that, if yesterdays news Jeff appears to be focusing on candidates who will be cheap, unlikely to rock the boat and who’d be over the moon to be offered prem another gig? Hardly screams transfer kitty? More sales to cover Lops payoff probably?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL will go and a Yes Man put in charge .

You watch what happens.

That will show the FFP and ambition of our great club though won't it . Or we saying the managers wages go against FFShi as well
l

the irony eh.
we ain’t got a pot to **** in, and end up paying millions to get rid of the best manager potentially we’ve had in a long time.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
l

the irony eh.
we ain’t got a pot to **** in, and end up paying millions to get rid of the best manager potentially we’ve had in a long time.
We might have been able to stretch to afford a CB, but we’ve had to scrub that so we can afford to replace Lopetegui with Gary O’Neil. Stuff of nightmares

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can’t afford to sack him (and his staff) they can’t afford to leave.

Meantime, we are where we are. It’s feasible this stand off could last they long Lopetegui is still in charge when the tap gets turned back on.

Kind of come round to the opinion that it’s all out of our control so in the meantime just going to enjoy the fact we have a top manager and some decent players for all long as it lasts. Compared to this time last year, this is utopia.

Back
Top Bottom