Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Effectively the credit card has been maxed out and unfortunately we have “buyers remorse” over a number of purchases.
I hope JL stays as he’s spotted that constantly delving into the same Portuguese pool of players and not casting our net wider has resulted in a squad without the right attributes for a very different league.
A classic example is Villa scraped survival in 2019/20 and bought Ollie Watkins for less than we paid for Silva. At the time we had much better prospects than Villa, so you would assume Watkins would have joined us if we were interested. Watkins is a regular scoring premier league striker and Silva looks like he’s now thankfully finally going to break into the first team. Watkins price as a striker has rocketed in 3 years, whilst we almost certainly wouldn’t currently get our money back for Silva.
In benefit to the first team, Watkins goals would have been huge and his transfer value alone if we had to now sell would have gone a long way to easing our financial issues. It’s this type of thing we absolutely need to do better on.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve got a horrible feeling that Everton will get a slap on the wrist.
Personally think they’ll feel the full weight of it. They’ve not just broken the rules they’ve ignored them and smashed way past them. The FA need a scapegoat as a warning to others with the new sustainability rules coming in and they’ll hammer them. 10 point deduction I’d say

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally think they’ll feel the full weight of it. They’ve not just broken the rules they’ve ignored them and smashed way past them. The FA need a scapegoat as a warning to others with the new sustainability rules coming in and they’ll hammer them. 10 point deduction I’d say

I'm going with a suspended points deduction based on them adhering to FFP for the next couple of years.

Just can't see them hammering Everton.

TF2Wolf

Reaction score
Yep agree surely they’ve got to throw the book at them and not just a gentle slap on the wrist otherwise clubs are just going to ignore FFP and factor in a small fine into their operating costs.

Would surely also open the door to all sorts of court action in the future for clubs who have complied with FFP and lose out on potential Sky money because of league position or relegation.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm going with a suspended points deduction based on them adhering to FFP for the next couple of years.

I agree. It will be like the "punishment" that the ECB gave to Yorkshire Cricket Club. Expect a fine but the 20 point penalty suspended for 2 years. Everton are sure to get sued by Leeds, Southampton etc though.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yep agree surely they’ve got to throw the book at them and not just a gentle slap on the wrist otherwise clubs are just going to ignore FFP and factor in a small fine into their operating costs.

Would surely also open the door to all sorts of court action in the future for clubs who have complied with FFP and lose out on potential Sky money because of league position or relegation.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens.
Re Everton - they're currently around 16/1 or 18/1 to finish bottom and 3/1 to be relegated. I think that if the bookies (and hence weight of money) were anticipating a significant points deduction those odds would be much shorter. I think anyone expecting 10 points and above is going to be disappointed

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
From my reliable source Jeff, Hobbs and JL had a meeting on Thursday and JL was told in no uncertain terms to stop posturing and either comit to the club or go - some funds would become available (but they don't know how much or when). Also, they need his answer by Monday as they have a young English manager primed to take over before the season starts and is ok with the financial constraints at present.

My source doesn't know who is in the frame but for me Potter would be an ideal candidate

Also, Scott signing is not imminent if at all.

Don't shoot the messenger

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All the exact same Lopetegui **** is regurgitated in the Daily Mail today.
Except for the fact that Lopetegui's name has been replaced with Moyes, and Wolves name replaced with West Ham.

Most of the stuff people read about football these days doesn't even come from people that are paid journalists. They are from people making up stories in their bedrooms.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Except for the fact that Lopetegui's name has been replaced with Moyes, and Wolves name replaced with West Ham.

Most of the stuff people read about football these days doesn't even come from people that are paid journalists. They are from people making up stories in their bedrooms.
Keyboard warriors

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I hope you’re wrong. As SBK says, they’ve not just fallen foul, they’ve completely ignored them. They’re even signing players this window, it’s almost like they know they’re getting something bad in October (I think) so are getting business done beforehand.

If it’s a slap on the wrist then I think the floodgates will open and clubs will just think “**** it” and spend. They have to punish them and set a precedent.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From my reliable source Jeff, Hobbs and JL had a meeting on Thursday and JL was told in no uncertain terms to stop posturing and either comit to the club or go - some funds would become available (but they don't know how much or when). Also, they need his answer by Monday as they have a young English manager primed to take over before the season starts and is ok with the financial constraints at present.

My source doesn't know who is in the frame but for me Potter would be an ideal candidate

If they have someone ready to take over it means they’ve been talking to managers behind Julen back doesn’t seem very ethical to me.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Your ITK confidence has improved from last year.

I don't post very often but I got this from a 3rd party as they apparently know someone who works at wolves they may be showboating (please don't shoot me down if it doesn't happen) but I have been told a signing is very close not sure who or when they wouldn't say.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Yes, every day there is something worded in a strange way to try and get “clicks”. At a rough guess, I’d say there’s no truth in 99% of it. Just bait to try and get a reaction, which it inevitably does because a lot of people can’t see through it.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's lampard or Steve Davis again.
Would have to be someone out of work and I can’t see Potter taking over our **** show so yeah Lampard would be my guess(if it was true which I don’t think it is)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not shooting the messenger but now at the point where l would say that Shi should be out of the door.

Oh and Shi's attempts to get JL to quit won't work either. You will have to pay big time to "save your face" (in reality your reputation is in the toilet already) Jeffrey, my boy.... Frankly, damaging our club to do that? **** that.

Last edited:

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not shooting the messenger but now at the point where l would say that Shi should be out of the door.

Oh and Shi's attempts to get JL to quit won't work either. You will have to pay big time to "save your face" (in reality your reputation is in the toilet already) Jeffrey, my boy....
Shi should have gone ages ago for his inept performances over the last few years. Cant fathom why he's still here

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

HARRY?

Can't lose with a wizard at the helm!

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope Loptegui can come up with a re-assuring statement sooner or later. He has a decent squad. The club spent big in January ahead of the summer and Lemina, Dawson, Cunha, Traore, Sarabia, Gomes must all have been approved by him. Silva and Kaladjic are, as they say, like new signings that replace Costa and Jiminez. Yes he would have hoped for at least a couple of £10m plus additions this summer but its not going to happen it seems. He has plenty to work with and I still have hope that a CB at least will come in. If Podence and Jonny don't go that will fill up the squad a bit more and they are both very decent players at their best. Neves is the only major loss in first team terms and in Gomes, in particular, we have a player to inherit his mantel hopefully. Of course you always want more but he has a strong base to work from. The worrying issue is potential injuries but even as we are there is at least some cover in most positions.

So overall he has a competitive squad and it is up to him to get the best out of the vastly expensive Cunha, Nunes and Silva. It is about time they all showed up to the party consistently and made their presence felt. The club have made it clear that next summer will be very different and that we have to ride out this financial storm till then. He has a good contract and even if Shi has not been up front with him at times he has everything to play for right now even if he is understandably frustrated by the lack of incomings this summer. So let's have some more positive news in and around the club. With Man U and Brighton we have a tough start and we need to hang in there if results are a bit negative to start off with. Circle the wagons and fight for every point.

I would add that I am assuming the club are not suddenly going to flog, Ait-Nouri, Nunes, Kilman etc before Sept 1. If they do then I can see Loptegui saying enough is enough.

Last edited:

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would add that I am assuming the club are not suddenly going to flog, Ait-Nouri, Nunes, Kilman etc before Sept 1. If they do then I can see Loptegui saying enough is enough.
That’s a massive assumption

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is the team selection his way of trying to get sacked?

Picking that XI again is a joke. Seems the side we're going with at United, which is ridiculous.

I'm fully on his side with how he has been treated since he's been here, but this team is a disgrace to be honest.

Joao Gomes & Boubacar Traore are so far ahead of Hodge.
Cunha can't play as a lone striker.
Fabio Silva has to start.

I think most would agree on that.

I personally feel Doherty is a lot better than Semedo & Sarabia should be nowhere near the team.

As I said, completely feel sorry for Lopetegui with how he has been done over by the board, but if he's picking this team and insisting on it moving forward then it really wouldn't be a disaster if he went.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Picking that XI again is a joke. Seems the side we're going with at United, which is ridiculous.

I'm fully on his side with how he has been treated since he's been here, but this team is a disgrace to be honest.

I personally feel Doherty is a lot better than Semedo & Sarabia should be nowhere near the team.

As I said, completely feel sorry for Lopetegui with how he has been done over by the board, but if he's picking this team and insisting on it moving forward then it really wouldn't be a disaster if he went.
Not for the first time you're taking a not unreasonable position and overstating it. I'd be OK with that team at Old Trafford, stick Gomes in, but I think he has a knock.

superwolves

Reaction score
Lopetegui places alot of emphasis on high energy workrate he won't have a same 11 every week he likes a bigger squad which he can rotate when required

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Many people saying they feel sorry for JL. I personally don’t. He’s paid a ****load of money as an elite ‘coach’ to develop and get the best out of players. All the talk of him leaving is based on some inane rambling spewed out by Balague who doesn’t have a great insight into our club, and more drivel from the Mirror and Mail who are basing their claims on the Balague interview. There are no comments from the club at present other than Jeff’s letter.

So ultimately, I’ll believe in what I see if/when something is officially announced by the club. Until then I’m happy to believe that our coach with a huge reputation is working hard with a talented squad and is shaping them to play how he wants them to. If he does bugger off, just shows he’s perhaps not the coach many think he is and needs millions each season like Mourinho.

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My son bumped into Guillem Balague in a pub in Edinburgh last night and asked him about Julen. Told him he’d be very surprised if still at Wolves come Christmas
Please also post in the pub rumours thread as it will be novel to see an actual pub rumour in there!

Also, just putting it out there - Monk is not my sock puppet and is nothing to do with me. Likewise ironfistedmonk or anyone else with Monk in their username

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Throwing a tantrum 9ver a friendly line up
Your posts get worse

Back
Top Bottom