Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My main take away from all this is this isn't a good look for anyone involved at all....

Lopetegui has spoken about wanting players that want to be here, well he isn't exactly showing that himself is he with these leaks....

While talk of having financial issues is never a good look for any club for bringing players in especially one where you would expect a lot of changes this summer...

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It all seems to have gone sour very quickly. What with this, Johnny and Moutinho not bothering to be at the final home game, Lopetegui refusing to bring Raul on despite fans singing Raul’s name resulting in Raul throwing his bib at the bench before heading for the tunnel. :(
And neves supposedly having a disagreement with him on the touchline. Almost as though something significant has gone on behind the scenes and he's lost the dressing room and now wants out.

UEAwolf

Reaction score
I think it's already over - culturally, Fosun will find this behaviour (even if JL has valid frustrations / concerns) unacceptable. The relationship will have already broken down.

People may question how money was spent, but what has never been in question is Fosun's willingness to spend money - just look at the last transfer window. Which other PL clubs spent £75+million?

Que sera, sera.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slot isnt locked in yet so i could still see him ending up at Spurs if that deal falls over. The one club that could have a vacancy is PSG. Galtier has racism accusations against him and its up in the air what happens with him. With them wanting to move away a little from the huge megastar signings Lopetegui could be a solid option for them.

Then why did Lopetegui move his family and entire entourage to Wolverhampton 6 months ago?

I’m sorry but those saying “he’s off” are talking the dogs doodahs. How many managers express frustration with transfer budgets, and sometimes a lot more directly than via trusted journalists.

If people want to look at who really might be unhappy and stirring it, then they only need to read the original E&S article and look at which super agent stands to lose a lot of commission if Wolves change their transfer strategy.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So he's ****ed off he can't get the backing of Fosun but his mate is pushing for the Spurs job .... Another club who don't back their managers hmmm

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's already over - culturally, Fosun will find this behaviour (even if JL has valid frustrations / concerns) unacceptable. The relationship will have already broken down.

People may question how money was spent, but what has never been in question is Fosun's willingness to spend money - just look at the last transfer window. Which other PL clubs spent £75+million?

Que sera, sera.
Yep, spending money has never been an issue. It's how we've spent it that has been a problem for years now.

StLuke

Groupie
Reaction score
its not something new. Wolves have themselves an elite manager. Whatever you think of him as a coach he has managed at Real Madrid, he has managed the Spanish national team, he has managed in the Champions League, he has won a European trophy.

He is saying to Wolves, do you want to match my ambition or continue down the road of mediocrity?

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s certainly not unexpected.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we ain't getting anywhere close to £45m for Ruben Neves with 1 year left on his contract.
Why the **** do people still keep coming out with this idea that we have to accept a cut price fee for Neves because he's only got one year left on his contract? So has Declan Rice and James Maddison and no one is suggesting that West Ham and Leicester will be letting either of them go for far less than they are worth

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why the **** do people still keep coming out with this idea that we have to accept a cut price fee for Neves because he's only got one year left on his contract? So has Declan Rice and James Maddison and no one is suggesting that West Ham and Leicester will be letting either of them go for far less than they are worth
I'm not saying we have to accept anything. I'm saying I don't think anyone is paying £45m for Ruben Neves this summer.

Reactions: Ned

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Que sera, sera.

Their willingess to spend money was definitely in question for the 2 years before last summer. And last summer was in context of a record spending spree by Premier League clubs in general. We seem to spend around mid-table for the league.

But the main thing isn't the quantity , it's the quality. Spending on players who it seems didn't really want to be here, but the move arranged as part of some bigger scheme. Who knows what?

Anyway, most clubs above us, have a net spend similar to us or more than us (or like Man City & Liverpool, had a much more valuable player base to sell on, so spend more). A club like Brighton does appear to have an impressively low spend, but for them to be doing well, they are an exception. Newcastle, Villa, Spurs etc aren't spending less than us.

The Professor

Reaction score

And this follows the pattern that led to Nuno's departure. I wouldn't be surprised if we put it out there that he's available for 'transfer'.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the answer to your question probably lies in the words 'Jorge Mendes'.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does look more and more like he's trying to engineer an exit (and lay the blame at lack of transfer funds). Which makes a mockery of his "only want players who want to be here" spiel and makes the whole thing surrounding the farewells of Jimenez, Moutinho and Jonny even more unsavoury

I hope it's not the case, but it's what it's looking like

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can Wolves handle having an elite manager?
Do the surrounding conditions in football (i.e. FFP) allow for a club like Wolves to have an elite manager?

Elite managers will always demand financial backing, yet the system essentially prevents clubs without the income of the elite (big stadium, multiple sponsorship deals, UEFA income) from providing that backing long-term. Short-term it can work, but long-term the club is likely to fall foul of the FFP restrictions, unless they can consistently identify players who can be sold for big fees and yet replaced by similar quality at low cost.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then why did Lopetegui move his family and entire entourage to Wolverhampton 6 months ago?

I’m sorry but those saying “he’s off” are talking the dogs doodahs. How many managers express frustration with transfer budgets, and sometimes a lot more directly than via trusted journalists.

If people want to look at who really might be unhappy and stirring it, then they only need to read the original E&S article and look at which super agent stands to lose a lot of commission if Wolves change their transfer strategy.

Things may have changed for him, i dont think just having his family here for six months is that big of a deal. I doubt he has invested in property and the life of people in football means there is a chance you arent in one place for long periods.

Tbf, he's done more than just complain about transfer budgets as well. He's basically said there is a situation financially at Wolves he wasnt aware of. Havent got a clue if its something that was there before he came and they didnt tell him, or things have changed. As i said, he's done a good job, adapted to this league and whatever happens right now his reputation as a manager is intact.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

West Ham have an extension clause on Rice, so he has more than 1 year left in reality.

Imagine a scenario - Wolves sell Neves to Barca. Barca offer him back on loan to us for 1 year, how much should Wolves pay in that situation? I wouldn't pay anywhere near £45m to have him (or anyone else) for a single season.

That's why his value has dropped - because they know in January they can agree a deal for him for nothing.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely it's all about degree.

Ok, maybe JL had somewhat higher expectations than the financial reality but as long as the club can demonstrate a plan for progression then surely someone of JL's experience could accept that and work within it.

I presume we'd be saying something along the lines of "look, we'd hoped to be able to do X, Y & Z, but we can't because of A, B & C. but we should be able do this now, this in January etc. based on this happening."

Unless we've told him that we can't do anything (which I strongly doubt) then I'm sure they can come up with some sort of plan that satisfies everyone for the time being. These are grown up, professional people after all, not children throwing a tantrum because they didn't get any sweets after their dinner has gone down.

Last edited:

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My main take away from all this is this isn't a good look for anyone involved at all....

Lopetegui has spoken about wanting players that want to be here, well he isn't exactly showing that himself is he with these leaks....

While talk of having financial issues is never a good look for any club for bringing players in especially one where you would expect a lot of changes this summer...
I don’t see it as he don’t want to be here.He wants assurances that he has money to spend because the playing staff he has at the moment isn’t good enough to play the way he wants.His main objective this year was to keep us up.He did an excellent job of that,and probably not playing the way he wants us to play next season.He’s more or less worried that if he has to sell players first before he can bring in fresh players,he will miss out because it will most probably be at the end of the window when some might move.And he wants players in early.If he leaves and we bring in a tin pot manager/coach I’m asking for a refund.I can watch all the wolves games on the bloody box,in comfort and save loads of cash for a nice holiday.Ummmm now that has really got me thinking.
Nah not really I’m too much in love with em,Wolves ay we.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nathan Judah’s take on it in his subscriber editorial:

‘The difference between Lopetegui and previous Wolves managers is that he will be a lot more vocal, and quite blunt.

He’s earned the right, he’s one of the best in the world. He's a former Real Madrid manager, a former Spain manager - the man is in demand!

Look at Klopp, Conte, Tuchel, Mourinho, ten Hag - we've been here before.’

It comes with the territory of hiring a high profile manager. Chill!’

As others have said (@Bill S Preston Esq.) can Wolves manage a high profile manager. From a fans perspective the best result is that JL wins the argument and stays as that provides continuity and means he gets funds. It also means we don’t get another turnover of back room staff and another shambles of a transfer window where we have a new manager with new targets.

Time isn’t actually on our side as we disappear to Korea fairly soon and I am sure JL would want key players in place for that, just like Lage did and Nuno did before him. Unfortunately, Fosun and Jeff have failed to deliver on that wish every time.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t see it as he don’t want to be here.He wants assurances that he has money to spend because the playing staff he has at the moment isn’t good enough to play the way he wants.His main objective this year was to keep us up.He did an excellent job of that,and probably not playing the way he wants us to play next season.He’s more or less worried that if he has to sell players first before he can bring in fresh players,he will miss out because it will most probably be at the end of the window when some might move.And he wants players in early.If he leaves and we bring in a tin pot manager/coach I’m asking for a refund.I can watch all the wolves games on the bloody box,in comfort and save loads of cash for a nice holiday.Ummmm now that has really got me thinking.
Nah not really I’m too much in love with em,Wolves ay we.
Yeah I felt that but the quotes today from Balague pretty much touting him for Tottenham leaves a bad taste... Its pretty obvious this is all coming from Lopetegui which is a shame as it shows a lack of respect to Wolves and the fans imo...

I like Lopetegui and really want him to stay he has done a great job turning us around but all this talk lately isn't it... Poor and disrespectful in fact!

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah I felt that but the quotes today from Balague pretty much touting him for Tottenham leaves a bad taste... Its pretty obvious this is all coming from Lopetegui which is a shame as it shows a lack of respect to Wolves and the fans imo...

I like Lopetegui and really want him to stay he has done a great job turning us around but all this talk lately isn't it... Poor and disrespectful in fact!
Balague is touting him for Spurs?

**edit - just looked at his Twitter it’s pretty much the JL CV channel

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I honestly cant see it that way
All JL has said is that he wasnt aware of some of the FFP restrictions and hopes they get resolved
He has never said pay up or i walk or anything like that
Ballague can say what he wants hes a journalist that needs stories, no more than that
JL is being assertive and pushing Fosun as hard as he can for funds,id expect nothing less,we continually moan about having yes men in charge, then when someone stands up and says what he thinks hes disrespectful and about to do a runner lol

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hot on the tails of Adama (reported yesterday), Lop has just signed up for a library card.
He's going nowhere.

Brian Law’s buses

Reaction score
Lopetegui is an elite manger, probably the most high profile manager we have ever had. He wants success, this means money needs to be made available to him to blend the team as he sees needed. He does not want drips and drabs of players, just to make the numbers up in the Premier League. I’m sure he made this clear when accepting the job. Fosun will need to pull their finger out to keep him here. Gutted and very worried if he were to leave.

Last edited:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I always liked and respected Balague as a journalist of integrity and substance, but with him poking his nose into the Lopetegui situation off the back of defending La Liga's response to the Vinicius Jnr racism, he's really gone down in my estimations.

Back
Top Bottom