Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

GavW

Groupie
Reaction score
I actually thought one of his recent media interviews kind of implied he might not be here.

If he does go then we should still be thankful that he managed to preserve our Premier League Status. Another positive is that he is kind of putting pressure on Fosun to find financial solutions to fund him properly for next season.
Julen Lopetegui: I've never seen nine minutes added on in England

Agree regarding the recent media interviews recently this one from Saturday 2mins 30 onwards sounds like there is still much to talk about.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The report from Spain is a bit more worrying than Football Insider, quite in depth.

This really is a big decision for Lopetegui. His stock is high right now in England, whereas if he stays with us, we don't do much, then his reputation suffers. So, big call for him.

This is a slightly weird stance, but Lopetegui has done a fantastic job. Yet, I also wouldn't be devastated if he went.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The report from Spain is a bit more worrying than Football Insider, quite in depth.

This really is a big decision for Lopetegui. His stock is high right now in England, whereas if he stays with us, we don't do much, then his reputation suffers. So, big call for him.

This is a slightly weird stance, but Lopetegui has done a fantastic job. Yet, I also wouldn't be devastated if he went.
Who do you think we’re going to attract with very little money to spend?

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You saying no other manager coming in couldn't have achieved the same?

The general opinion on here was that Lage was a total waste of space and utterly under-performing with the squad available, he was then backed massively in January. Not wanting to diminish what he achieved but need to add some balance.

Stourwolf

Reaction score
It's entirely jeff shi and scott sellars fault. They put us in this ffp mess with their ***** purchases of overvalued players.
So true.complete shambles from shi and sellars.
Carnt blame fosun….completely on these 2 clowns

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You saying no other manager coming in couldn't have achieved the same?

The general opinion on here was that Lage was a total waste of space and utterly under-performing with the squad available, he was then backed massively in January. Not wanting to diminish what he achieved but need to add some balance.
No other manager? No.

But precedent suggests that any other manager would have struggled (as at times JL did).

The real test of JL will be next season.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's entirely jeff shi and scott sellars fault. They put us in this ffp mess with their ***** purchases of overvalued players.
Hilarious.... Got love the Mix!

"Spend big, buy players"....."Oh, l didn't mean those players at that price..."

Guedes a great case in point. For several seasons people wanted him signed. I bet that you would struggle to find a single Mixer who opposed that signing.... But guess what...

Signings are a black art not a science. Sometimes a good player will just go to the wrong club at the wrong time (see Claridge - l swear that we were the only club who he didn't score shedloads for...).

I'm really not sure how that can be avoided. Even the currently much-vaunted Brighton have had their share of duds.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL and his men are the only guys I trust at this club to know what is needed for us to be a top 10 club .
If he walks that is a certification of his belief that we will fail to be a top 10 club in the next five years or more. IMO

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very worrying noises coming out ans usually no smoke without fire.

We need a serious rebuild in the final 3rd I'm not convinced with any on our books and he knows this and needs the backing to fix it or we'll be in the same mess next season.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who do you think we’re going to attract with very little money to spend?
Unless it's worse than I imagine, I don't think we're actually in that bad a position.

I think we could easily raise £70m in sales this summer, but Neves is the only player who I would say is a real loss.

We'd probably need 3/4 players to come in to balance the squad, and £70m should do that. So, as long as it's just a case of the net spend needing to be £0, there should actually be a lot of money to spend.

There's still a lot of quality in the squad and a lot of good young players who can improve.

That wouldn't be too different to Potter's last 18 months at Brighton, Postecoglou at Celtic does that. Not saying either of those would join us, but just examples.

Virtually all clubs in Europe operate this way as there's no money out there. It's still a very attractive job due to the league.

Of course, our position may be worse than I think, and if we can't even spend what we bring in, then it will be a problem, but sell-to-buy this summer shouldn't be too much of a problem for us IMO.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Can I just check.

We made losses of
46.1m in 21/22
43.1m in 22/23

We can lose up to 105m in a 3 year cycle under PL (although not UEFA) rules.

So we can only lose 15.8m in the financial year 23/24 or risk a sanction.

Does that sound roughly correct?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can I just check.

We made losses of
46.1m in 21/22
43.1m in 22/23

Unless we can justify an Everton-style COVUD write-off ....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can I just check.

We made losses of
46.1m in 21/22
43.1m in 22/23

You were allowed to use Covid as a reason for some of the losses as well.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We seem to lurch from one extreme to another time after time. No plan just winging it by the looks of things. Now we've got a quality guy in and a good staff , they aren't going to back him . It's barmy!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I find myself feeling the same!
Ditto re Nunes...
Really? After the way some fans wanted Nuno gone too? Talk about almost deserving to be the next Charlton.

Thankfully, given that Fosun finally, in November, got the man that they had wanted from Day 1 l really don't see that happening.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It looks like JL did Guo a favour by coming and saving Wolves after Shi and Sellars wrecked us, and JL did that to recompense letting us down 8 years ago, taking the Spain job.
JL came, he saved , and he doesn't like what he sees. If he goes that will be my opinion however it is spun.

Last edited:

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I would, potentially our best manager since Cullis!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon Julen will walk unless this is sorted soon.. I’m thinking within two weeks we will find an answer either way

Clear the decks and start again

Time Fosun wanted ambition what’s 250m to billion pound company? They wasted over 900m trying to save Thomas cook

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We seem to lurch from one extreme to another time after time. No plan just winging it by the looks of things. Now we've got a quality guy in and a good staff , they aren't going to back him . It's barmy!

Jeff back in January, in an alternate universe: "we'd love to bring in 5 or 6 players this window, but we need to stick to the plan to ensure we're comfortable with FFP this summer, we'll just have to take our chances with relegation".

Fans: "thank you Jeff, for your consistency, patience and foresight!"

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s going nowhere FFS. He’s only just joined us, the club know that he’s going to have suitors and aren’t just going to thank him for the half season and let him sail off into the sunset.

Also, there aren’t actually many appealing clubs that currently need a manager, are there?

At the very, very, very most this is Julen’s people leaking things and posturing but I highly doubt it’s even that.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He ain’t come to Wolves to fight relegation on a shoestring has he. If the reports are correct about financial issues then I wouldn’t blame him for walking at all.

Hopefully the club can sort the financial situation somehow.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless it's worse than I imagine, I don't think we're actually in that bad a position.

I think we could easily raise £70m in sales this summer, but Neves is the only player who I would say is a real loss.

We'd probably need 3/4 players to come in to balance the squad, and £70m should do that. So, as long as it's just a case of the net spend needing to be £0, there should actually be a lot of money to spend.

There's still a lot of quality in the squad and a lot of good young players who can improve.

That wouldn't be too different to Potter's last 18 months at Brighton, Postecoglou at Celtic does that. Not saying either of those would join us, but just examples.

Virtually all clubs in Europe operate this way as there's no money out there. It's still a very attractive job due to the league.

Of course, our position may be worse than I think, and if we can't even spend what we bring in, then it will be a problem, but sell-to-buy this summer shouldn't be too much of a problem for us IMO.
What you're failing to take in to account is who will manage the players. If we get another Bruno Lage we're almost certainly relegated as there isn't another JL to come in and rescue us! Lopetegui has to be here next season, if he's not we'll be having the BCD far sooner than anyone expected!!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s going nowhere FFS. He’s only just joined us, the club know that he’s going to have suitors and aren’t just going to thank him for the half season and let him sail off into the sunset.

Also, there aren’t actually many appealing clubs that currently need a manager, are there?

At the very, very, very most this is Julen’s people leaking things and posturing but I highly doubt it’s even that.
Has any manager ever walked out of a club after just 6 months to move on to better things? I can't think of even one.

The closest would be Marco Silva when he was flirting with Everton while at Watford.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This financial situation only seems to exist online. In the real world, it’s not even a thing any Wolves fan even considers.

All complete click bait social media bull ****.

As for Lopetegui leaving already, give me strength.

Reaction score
We all know what happens when Jeff makes big footballing decisions for our club……
Another massive balls up incoming!
Can’t wait to hear how he is going to spin this one to us, I lost all faith in Jeff a while ago.
I understand it was Jeff that eventually got julen in to save us but that can’t negate the fact his previous decision making almost completely destroyed us and nearly set us back years, it really was a complete farce until loppy arrived.
Over to you again Jeffrey (unfortunately)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon Julen will walk unless this is sorted soon.. I’m thinking within two weeks we will find an answer either way

Clear the decks and start again

Time Fosun wanted ambition what’s 250m to billion pound company? They wasted over 900m trying to save Thomas cook
Wrong re Thomas Cook. The company going bust meant that Fosun's survival plan was never enacted.

Back
Top Bottom