Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Emery. Hindsight is wonderful, but he was available when we sacked Lage, just before Villa sacked Gerrard. Knew the league and would have had the 'Davis period' before the WC and transfer window to assess the squad. Would have had us comfortable by now.
Yip

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he's a good coach. He's had his ups and downs in his career, but overall I think he's had more positives than negatives.

I still don't know if he'll achieve anything at Wolves. The Premier League is tough and the cup competitions are generally won by the bigger clubs these days, with the odd exception such as Leicester. There are so many good coaches and teams with money to spend it's going to be fine margins whether some of these coaches are successful. There will be about 6 or 7 teams trying to get into the top 4 and another 5 teams trying to get the other European places.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The state our club and squad was when he took over? Yes he has.

The club had a 7 game right off period for a laugh with Davis.
Indeed, a few are forgetting the utter mess that Shi has made. Forget the players, hopefully he's the first out of the door in the Summer.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No doubt he got it wrong against Leicester changing our formation. At the same time, he has to rebuild the confidence of this squad and that confidence is showing to be still very brittle.

bigbadwolftoo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jury is out with Lopi, good and bad examples of his influence so far. Allowing tippy-tappy slow stuff around the back as the fall-back approach in most games, failure to recognise a robust forward approach on balance works in the prem the major failings.
Way better than Lage, hopefully learning fast as we still need some points. Hopefully starting on Tuesday night.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jury is out with Lopi, good and bad examples of his influence so far. Allowing tippy-tappy slow stuff around the back as the fall-back approach in most games, failure to recognise a robust forward approach on balance works in the prem the major failings.
Way better than Lage, hopefully learning fast as we still need some points. Hopefully starting on Tuesday night.
Surely the best example of his influence is that we were adrift at the bottom of the league when he came in with 17 games played. Surely any Wolves fan would have taken being 6 points clear of the bottom 3 with 6 games to go from the position Lopetegui came into.

Last edited:

bigbadwolftoo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As said better than Lage by some way in getting more out of the squad, who were doomed until his arrival.
However, still someway to go to be content that the approach is correct in most games. Evidence, approach v teams towards the bottom teams and overall a bit too defensive a fall-back position.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His Sevilla side scored 53 in his last full season so he can certainly get a side scoring.

From bottom of the league to six points clear? Yeah I’d say he’s working miracles.
Miracles…? Okay! :tearsofjoy:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not bringing on Traore was incredibly bad.
I'm not sure Adama would have made any difference with Cunha up top... it definitely would have satisfied what's made us crap for the last two years though, Neves and Moutinho never crossing the half way line, and Adama sitting on the sideline (doing bugger all else) waiting for the ball to cross it to no one in the box.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So true, we must have one of the most temperamental fanbases out there. Julen does not have all the answers after being here for 4 months... we don't half get some embarrassing takes after a loss that act like we've picked him up from the bus stop and the solutions to all of our problems are so clear and obvious.
The emotional trumps the rational.
It’s human but it ****es me off ! I suppose because I am human .

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of you need to give your ****ing head a wobble. My word. Doubting a manager that has taken us from certain drop to all but home and hosed for another season in the Premier League.

Behave.
I don't think anyone can deny what the coach has achieved since his arrival (of which we should all be grateful), but assuming you were there yesterday (or watching elsewhere), surely you must have felt frustrated on how we allowed the game to go away from us after being in such complete control.

The question is, what factor (s) allowed this to happen.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can deny what the coach has achieved since his arrival (of which we should all be grateful), but assuming you were there yesterday (or watching elsewhere), surely you must have felt frustrated on how we allowed the game to go away from us after being in such complete control.

It's rarely just one thing. Several factors have been mentioned. One so obvious, perhaps it gets missed: are our players genuinely, to a man, significantly better than Leicesters? Overall, I think there's not much between those two teams yesterday. All season, the experts have been saying that not just us, but Leicester too, "shouldn't be down there with the plaeyrs they have". Looks like Rodgers was a prime cause in them underperforming. Their fans are saying yesterday was the best they've played for ages. Do Leicester crave Costa over Vardy? Are they drooling over Sa? Toti? Kilman over Soyoncu? Would Podence be the missing piece of their puzzle? :D

Wouldn't be surprised if Leicester end the season on a good run and return to being steady Premier League level club. In which case, yesterdays match won't be the earth shattering disaster some seem to think it was. And we have plenty of inconsistent, upper mid-table at best performers. What do people expect?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I felt like it was a mid table team doing things that a mid table team does. We will lose to Leicester and then go and beat Palace and probably get a point at United, it's just the nature of the beast.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lopetegui is obviously a good coach and we're lucky to have him, but he does do some bizarre things. Seems to me he's too quick to try hang onto a point when we should be going for the jugular.
Next season when when he has his own squad (hopefully) and a full pre season, well be able to judge better what he's about.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Taking off Costa cost us the game, I'd say. You could tell he was furious at being subbed as well.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt like it was a mid table team doing things that a mid table team does. We will lose to Leicester and then go and beat Palace and probably get a point at United, it's just the nature of the beast.
Inconsistency is what you're describing.

It's just so frustrating when we could have been three up before the break and most probably have gone on to secure a vital win.
Instead we'll queue up for another ride on the emotional rollercoaster come next Tuesday.

Personally I think we'll be safe but would prefer the points in the bank sooner than later so that I can put my feet up on the Southbank, pour myself a generous cognac and relax. UTW

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he is learning the hard way just how difficult this league is. It’s not the top league in the world for nothing.

I have foreign family through marriage and they’re all amazed at how all teams have a go at everyone. There are few foregone conclusions.

If JL didn’t know just how big the job is then he is learning some hard lessons and our inconsistency is a result of both our position and form and him learning as we go along.

He’s done well. Could he do better? Possibly.

Could he have done worse? Also possible.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Inconsistency is what you're describing.

It's just so frustrating when we could have been three up before the break and most probably have gone on to secure a vital win.
Instead we'll queue up for another ride on the emotional rollercoaster come next Tuesday.

Personally I think we'll be safe but would prefer the points in the bank sooner than later so that I can put my feet up on the Southbank, pour myself a generous cognac and relax. UTW
Yeah, a mid table club is where they are because they're inconsistent, which we are, now that is tenfold better than under Lage which was best described as 'useless'.

Sure, we all want it to be confirmed and it all to be over, this season has been an absolute drain but Wolves did lots of heavy lifting in beating Chelsea and Brentford. We've got Palace on Tuesday, perfect.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't believe folk are actually turning on Julen Lopetegui!
Let's just get through this ****show of a season, with our Premier league status intact, and then give the fella a chance to get the squad of players together that he feels he needs.
I think this is the only fair option. Ten games into next season if we stay up will show us who we really have at the helm.

bigbadwolftoo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be clear Lopi is a lot better than Lage. He has made a doomed team look capable of surviving and with some fight.

Time will tell how good he really is. He has made mistakes and done a lot of good things too. Overall quite positive IMHO, but with some aspects still to consider.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sound 7 weeks with half the team away. And a mid season transfer window which at the moment is doing its job? Even though its difficult to integrate 6 players during a season?
Lol...half the team ?
Four players plus a goalie was it?
No the transfer window isn't doing its job , we have 1 goal Costa up front ,and zero strikers on the bench !!
Shed load of midfield players though!!

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol...half the team ?
No the transfer window isn't doing its job , we have 1 goal Costa up front ,and zero strikers on the bench !!

Gomes, Cunha, Dawson, Lemina all have been influential on getting us the right side of relgation? So therefore it's doing its job

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol...half the team ?
Costa was bought in before the window opened as a free agent. He has only scored 1 goal but he has been influential and with some better passing options taken by other players could have been on half a dozen. The transfer window was a good window. Dawson, Lemina, Gomes and Cunha have all made a positive contribution to our revival.

Last edited:

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
However well JLo has done it still isn't good enough. If we take the current squad into next season we will still finish in the bottom half of the table IMHO. I'm just hoping we survive this season but that is no certainty the way we are stumbling along from game to game, some good, others terrible.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
However well JLo has done it still isn't good enough. If we take the current squad into next season we will still finish in the bottom half of the table IMHO. I'm just hoping we survive this season but that is no certainty the way we are stumbling along from game to game, some good, others terrible.
But we won't. We need to stay up, we're already on midtable form this season since he came. When you factor in time to get there transfers in and the players fit, we're probably already good enough for the top half. However what's actually going to happen is another solid influx of players, a more consistent approach, and a push for the top 6 (although that's becoming increasingly difficult). Win Tuesday, re-evaluate.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But we won't. We need to stay up, we're already on midtable form this season since he came. When you factor in time to get there transfers in and the players fit, we're probably already good enough for the top half. However what's actually going to happen is another solid influx of players, a more consistent approach, and a push for the top 6 (although that's becoming increasingly difficult). Win Tuesday, re-evaluate.

You only have to watch us to know we are miles off top half. We will struggle next season unless we revamp the squad; the underlying metrics all point to us being a bad side.

kennyB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did say "if we keep the current squad" for a reason. Take your point though.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
You only have to watch us to know we are miles off top half. We will struggle next season unless we revamp the squad; the underlying metrics all point to us being a bad side.
Well I'll go with the overlying metric of us being 10th since Lopetegui came. We need some players for next season though, there's nobody arguing about that. An actual CF or two would be great and also there's the likelihood of having to replace Neves, Adama and maybe Nunes for a start. Busy Summer but plenty to look forward to.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well I'll go with the overlying metric of us being 10th since Lopetegui came. We need some players for next season though, there's nobody arguing about that. An actual CF or two would be great and also there's the likelihood of having to replace Neves, Adama and maybe Nunes for a start. Busy Summer but plenty to look forward to.

This is the exact mistake we made last year when Lage finished 10th but we were rubbish.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are clear patterns of improvements in all areas.
Our players are much stronger and disciplined, our results are vastly improved.
JL was dealt a very difficult hand . We need that one win to unlock our potential for 2023/24 season.
Mistakes will be made along the way.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are clear patterns of improvements in all areas.
Our players are much stronger and disciplined, our results are vastly improved.
JL was dealt a very difficult hand . We need that one win to unlock our potential for 2023/24 season.
Mistakes will be made along the way.
I don’t begrudge him mistakes, he’s human it happens. It’s the repetitive ones that I don’t understand. Majority of us can see what doesn’t work but it continues to happen a little too often for my liking. Still back him 100% though and look forward to seeing what he can do next season providing all goes well.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Costa was bought in before the window opened as a free agent. He has only scored 1 goal but he has been influential and with some better passing options taken by other players could have been on haldf a dozen. The transfer window was a good window. Dawson, Lemina, Gomes and Cunha have all made a positive contribution to our revival.
But no goalscorer!!!!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't believe folk are actually turning on Julen Lopetegui!
Let's just get through this ****show of a season, with our Premier league status intact, and then give the fella a chance to get the squad of players together that he feels he needs.
There's a core of ten numpties on the internet who are turning on JL. It's not the wider fan base, just the usual suspects who only ever appear on the mix after a defeat.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When’s Julen’s book on refs decisions coming out another one this weekend for about the 10th game running

Back
Top Bottom