Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have 6 points so far so to expect us to suddenly get 9 from 3 is a bit silly when/if he has only been in charge for a matter of days
It will take time to get his ideas in place and start getting results
I do agree we need to get points quickly and should beat Forest but nothing is a given in this league
Hes not even had talks yet let alone become our manager,so lets temper expectations a little
Fair, but by anaylsis of the fact if we dont beat forest and leicester is real, we need minimum all 6 points.. otherwise a loss from either and we are gapped and are 20th in the table?? how can people not see this.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a side issue, Mendes is known to look after his customers very well. If he's really involved in this whole process, I wonder what he's doing for Lage? Not our problem, but if I was Lage and my agent had arranged things to replace me without lining something else up, I wouldn't be too chuffed!

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quote from the renowned pundit Danny Murphy:
"I don’t even know if he speaks English. It would be a risk,” says Murphy, formerly of Liverpool, Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur. “But isn’t any appointment a risk?

Why not just ****ing Google him. Simple as that. He does.
He also speaks Portuguese from his days coaching Porto.
Geriiittt Forward… sorted

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a side issue, Mendes is known to look after his customers very well. If he's really involved in this whole process, I wonder what he's doing for Lage? Not our problem, but if I was Lage and my agent had arranged things to replace me without lining something else up, I wouldn't be too chuffed!

Presumably he'll have a go at Rio Ave or Famalicão soon.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps Lage should have won more football matches. He's hardly in a position to complain about losing his job.

Mendes' job is to ensure job offers. It's up to his clients to keep those jobs. Lage failed. Mendes can only offer his clients to employers, if they don't like what they see, that's on Lage not Mendes.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing with this English BS makes me laugh . Most of our Squads first languages are not English

It's not whether they can speak XYZ language, it's about communication in the broader sense. Though if you can't speak the language of the people you work with, communication is going to be a lot harder.

I wouldn't dismiss language problems lightly. Whatever the career, you'd be unlikely to get a professional job in say, Spain, if you can't speak Spanish. And if you managed to blag it, I'd assume a crash course in the language would be vital.

It does surprise me, given the near infinite money available in football, that some managers don't seem to improve their language skills. . Is it because football langauge is simpler than business language? Just learn "Gerrit forward" and a few platitudes for interviews ("we play the good game") in 10 languages and that's enough? A lot of the players must be taking language classes as you do see a clear improvement - Neves, for example, speaks excellent English now and gets better every year.

Though Bruno spoke the same language as most of the players and they still didn't seem to understand what he was on about!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If hes coming

Forest Home - 15th
Palace Away 18th
Leicester Home 22nd

His task is 9 points from 9

get us to 15 points and stop the worry.

Minimum is wins against forest and Leicester

Palace aren't looking too good, either. 7 points from those would be good, don't care in which order. 5 points as a minimum , which should at least improve our position.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where did the fans think it had gone wrong? Was it a case of 1 season too far, like Nuno’s last season?
Perhaps he wanted to come to Fosun, Mendes ad Wolves, and had moved on in his mind .
I wonder if Lage was a stop gap because Nuno left when Lopetegui was tied on a contract

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's not whether they can speak XYZ language, it's about communication in the broader sense. Though if you can't speak the language of the people you work with, communication is going to be a lot harder.

I wouldn't dismiss language problems lightly. Whatever the career, you'd be unlikely to get a professional job in say, Spain, if you can't speak Spanish. And if you managed to blag it, I'd assume a crash course in the language would be vital.

It does surprise me, given the near infinite money available in football, that some managers don't seem to improve their language skills. . Is it because football langauge is simpler than business language? Just learn "Gerrit forward" and a few platitudes for interviews ("we play the good game") in 10 languages and that's enough? A lot of the players must be taking language classes as you do see a clear improvement - Neves, for example, speaks excellent English now and gets better every year.

Though Bruno spoke the same language as most of the players and they still didn't seem to understand what he was on about!

Agree it’s really about the ability to communicate effectively, whatever the language.

My own experience, is that working in a location where the local language is not your own is hard, or was at least for me! In Germany early in my career, I spoke German in the office as it was the official language of the office, and kept learning it the whole 18 months I was there. I was decently fluent by the time I left, but it was tiring and I needed to chat to my English wife in the phone and watch English tv in the evening to relax. My last assignment was in Hungary, and all staff were Hungarian, but the official language in the office was English. I had every intention of learning Hungarian, but couldn’t find a slot in my diary to make the company provided lessons work, so I never did. Didn’t affect my ability to work, but did mean I couldn’t easily join on social conversation in the office unless it had already started in English - Hungarian being unrelated to other European languages.

As a result of my experiences I’ve always defended non native English speakers to those here or in the US who criticise their use of English. As others have noted, there are many nations who have large parts of their population who speak clearer and more accurate English than many native English speakers.

Last edited:

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Both Percy and Keen reported through their sources that Lage had 2 games to save his bacon. I think it was safe to assume that Mendes (as his agent) would have also been aware of that.

Whether Bruno is chuffed or not, I'm sure his severance package will soften his hurt feelings.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it was Kalvin Phillips that came out and said that he spoke perfect English in training lol
That tactic of Bielsa's use of translator during interviews was designed to give him double thinking time for pressing questions.
For most people understanding a spoken language comes before the ability to quickly formulate a reply. Until you can think in the other language, rather than translate in your head, you will always respond with difficulty.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Without it we're still in the Championship.
I agree.

But it seems like the football knowledge should be within the board, not externally with an agent who has his own interests to take care of (his wallet). Just doesn't feel right imo.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui to Fosun is like your first girlfriend. ( Or boyfriend .)

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That tactic of Bielsa's use of translator during interviews was designed to give him double thinking time for pressing questions.
For most people understanding a spoken language comes before the ability to quickly formulate a reply. Until you can think in the other language, rather than translate in your head, you will always respond with difficulty.
Absolutely this. I constantly struggled with my German language abilities (back in the 90s) until I was able to train my head to think in German rather than English (translation-interpretation).

I have absolute admiration and respect for those that are fluent in languages outside of their native language.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have 6 points so far so to expect us to suddenly get 9 from 3 is a bit silly when/if he has only been in charge for a matter of days
It will take time to get his ideas in place and start getting results
I do agree we need to get points quickly and should beat Forest but nothing is a given in this league
Hes not even had talks yet let alone become our manager,so lets temper expectations a little
Uplift in mood from the players may get a point this Saturday before he even starts….I hope

Reaction score
Got to love all the excuses being trundled out regarding Lopetegui and his Seville tenancy, whilst Lage is slated for a similar performance
( This season ).
Torn apart by Dortmund at home,2nd bottom in an inferior League and sacked the next day, and yet he's the new Messiah for the majority on here!
If it wasn't for 'Qatar '22' he probably wouldn't last 'til Xmas! Crap appointment!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He got Bruno Lage a PL gig, I’d say that’s looking after him VERY well.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Got to love all the excuses being trundled out regarding Lopetegui and his Seville tenancy, whilst Lage is slated for a similar performance
( This season ).
Torn apart by Dortmund at home,2nd bottom in an inferior League and sacked the next day, and yet he's the new Messiah for the majority on here!
If it wasn't for 'Qatar '22' he probably wouldn't last 'til Xmas! Crap appointment!
Have you actually told us who you think we could get that is better?

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
( This season ).

I feel more confident given Lopetegui’s previous three seasons with Sevilla, the fact he’s won the Europa League (ultimately schooling us in our prime in the process) and managed at an elite level (admittedly with mixed success) for years. Compared with Lage who had a strong 6 months, in a vastly inferior league to the PL and LL, then collapsed completely, other than that his only experience is as a coach which is a totally different skill set to management. They’re miles apart in terms of pedigree.

Don’t get me wrong there are no guarantees Lopetegui is going to be able to deliver in the PL, but I feel more confident with his appointment than with Lage (if it happens).

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
( This season ).
Shouldn't really bite, but.....

- What about before this season? Compare and contrast Lopetegui and Lage.
- If we are judging just on this season, presumably you wouldn't want Tuchel. Or Klopp.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes okay, everyone's right, I will delete that random thought that crossed my mind!

Wasn’t supposed to be a dig at you… just in general I feel Lage can have no complaints, he was so under qualified and was given a huge opportunity by Mendes.

Reaction score
I feel more confident given Lopetegui’s previous three seasons with Sevilla, the fact he’s won the Europa League (ultimately schooling us in our prime in the process) and managed at an elite level (admittedly with mixed success) for years. Compared with Lage who had a strong 6 months, in a vastly inferior league to the PL and LL, then collapsed completely, other than that his only experience is as a coach which is a totally different skill set to management. They’re miles apart in terms of pedigree.

Don’t get me wrong there are no guarantees Lopetegui is going to be able to deliver in the PL, but I feel more confident with his appointment than with Lage (if it happens).
Respect your opinion and at the end we all want the best for the team!

Reaction score
Shouldn't really bite, but.....

- What about before this season? Compare and contrast Lopetegui and Lage.
- If we are judging just on this season, presumably you wouldn't want Tuchel. Or Klopp.
Zico,
I'd love Tuchel to take over but think he'll hold out for a club with a higher profile!

Back
Top Bottom