Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
@Stourport wolf …….

You may have posted this already but what do you know of JL’s manner with players? Reason I ask is that there seems to be some indications that all is not well in the Compton camp?
Does JL get players’ backs up frequently?

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But surely he also set out to score goals to win games…….would you say he achieved what he wanted?

His sole aim this season was to get as many points necessary to stay up, by any means possible. Not to play good football.

Our squad is imbalanced and was seriously low on morale. He made the players start to fight for each other and turned us into a side that fought for everything at home, which got us over the line. Yes we've had some shockers away recently but to be honest as soon as it looked like we were safe the players have clearly taken a foot off the pedal. That's frustrating, but that's also human.

We finished 13th, and seven points clear of the drop. He's excelled on his aim.

If we survived today on goal difference, he would've achieved what he wanted.

The time to judge him on, or moan about, style of football is about six weeks into next season if we're rubbish, getting battered every week and the summer recruitment has gone pear-shaped.

Westbakejazz

Reaction score
@Stourport wolf …….

You may have posted this already but what do you know of JL’s manner with players? Reason I ask is that there seems to be some indications that all is not well in the Compton camp?
Does JL get players’ backs up frequently?
Exactly what I posted on another thread. I certainly believe he lost part of the dressing room

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This needs nipping in the bud now before it spirals out of control. If JL is to go then it needs to happen this week, not next week, not in 2,3 weeks time. Now. As much as I'd rather him stay, we need someone who's committed fully to the job at hand. Jeff and Fosun seriously need to get a grip of the situation and come to a resolution this week one way or another. The comments about not being able to resign the out of contract players (whether they should be signed or not is irrelevant) is worrying. One thing for sure, as good a job as he's done I'm sick to death of this saga being played out in public like this. Fosun look a total shambles with our financial situation down to their mis management and reliance on Mendes, and JL pandering to the media. The bitching needs to stop and get the future or non future of the coach sorted so we can move forward. JL needs to stop his whining and equally if Fosun cannot fund the club going forwards, sell to someone who will/can.
I’m with you on almost all of this.

JL has done a brilliant job keeping us up after Portuguese Saunders left. However, this should not be being played out in public.

If JL says he doesn’t understand we have FFP issues (after we brought in Cunha, Gomes, Dawson, Lemina, Bentley and Sarabia for a cost of c£75m plus Traore acquisition triggered with no income generated from sales) I find that odd, disingenuous and very worrying. His demands, now knowing FFP challenges, to buy/buy/buy are extremely concerning and suggests to me he doesn’t care for the future of Wolves and only himself. I don’t currently see this ending well. If we move on, please be quick. If he stays please shut him up.

In my mind we need to generate c£50m of sales to cover the c£200m spent over the last 12 months which is presumably amortising at c£50m p.a. If we generate £100m of sales then I’d expect Julen to have £50-£75m to spend depending on who is sold (those with no/little amortisation left being most sellable e.g. Neves, Podence, Kilman). Sales and buys won’t happen by 1 July.

i don’t see this being about Fosun and investment, this is FFP. We have had massive support from Fosun (other than on ground).

A long Summer ahead. Whatever happens, we are Wolves.

Thank you Julen for saving us from relegation. Thank you Fosun for your financial support this season.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This performance, ( and some recent others), are similar to Lage’s games.
He's managing a squad of players, many of whom know their futures lie elsewhere.

Players are seeing their friends being shown the door, I doubt it's a happy dressing room right now.

We're safe and on the beach and have been for weeks, JL's done well to eek the results out that he has.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Absolutely but we’ve achieved the main aim of staying up and lopetegui has saved them a fortune. Whether they can actually convince him to stay is another matter.
I’ve had the misfortune to spend some time today with a boggies fan :( been doing my head in on how much we spent getting lopetegui in if only for a few months especially after courting him for so many years.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course it's an unhappy dressing room. It's been a poor season. Lopetegui has to sell to buy meaning lots of players have to leave and some staying needs to say a few goodbyes.
In any working place that would create a poor atmosphere.
Doesn't mean Lopeteguis manmanagement is poor. He might get blamed of course, by players thinking they're better than they are.
But having watched these players for long before Lopetegui he really isn't the problem.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am sick of him talking about our finances in the media. Its not a good look.

I highly doubt that we cannot resign out of contract players. More the fact we may as a club not want to offer them terms. Who of the out of contract players would you want to stay. None. For me he needs to shut up and get on with his job. Stop moaning every single week about the same thing.
What's this based on? Judah's tweet? As far as I can tell JL was asked a question and he answered it.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's managing a squad of players, many of whom know their futures lie elsewhere.

Players are seeing their friends being shown the door, I doubt it's a happy dressing room right now.

We're safe and on the beach and have been for weeks, JL's done well to eek the results out that he has.
I agree with you that he he eeked out the results although I’d have spelt it as eeeeeeeeked.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry with Lopetegui is the performances.

We lose convincingly yet we scrape for every point.

The run of wins at home isn't sustainable IMO. Far too many fine margins that went our way. There's no style of play in a positive sense.

However, it should be noted his time here was only ever about results - and he delivered emphatically.

I don't actually think a Lopetegui side would go down next season, so I recognise the risk of replacing him, but equally so, we're dull, boring, and going nowhere.

He hasn't got more out of Nunes. He hasn't really improved any individual. We've survived because we went 'old-school'. The traditional English centre-back in (Dawson). A 4-4-2. A target man. Work hard, narrow, hard to beat.

Don't get me wrong, it's what we needed, so no complaints, but equally so, is this what the next few years hold? Is it worth it?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't put much weight on games like today, as **** as it was. Season over, job done, half of them won't be here next season, it would have been nice to see a bit more pride but meh, it is what it is. Last couple of weeks though with noises from Lopetegui and the goings on, I'm getting to be more and more ambivalent as to whether he stays or not. Almost at the point where I'd be more excited if he left (as to who we appoint) than worried about it

Chased him for six years, eventually bagged him when we were in a desperate situation and he's done a good job, make no mistake, just doesn't seem a good fit

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno was sold short by the club in his last12 months, Lage was always talking about signing players but then back tracked after it was clear the club would not be buying the players he wanted, Lopetegui can see what has happened in the past and is putting the club under a lot of pressure to provide a squad that will be competitive next season, if not what is the point in having an elite manager.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah so we have a budget. Re-signing players is like signing a new player because it's money gone from the budget.

Costa ain't worth keeping, Moutinho is way past his best. Only Adama is worth keeping and unless he's prepared to not be one of the club's top earners, then we'll have to let him go - he doesn't deserve to be one of the top earners!

People losing their **** all over again over the same issue FFS.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My worry with Lopetegui is the performances.

We lose convincingly yet we scrape for every point.

The run of wins at home isn't sustainable IMO. Far too many fine margins that went our way. There's no style of play in a positive sense.

However, it should be noted his time here was only ever about results - and he delivered emphatically.

I don't actually think a Lopetegui side would go down next season, so I recognise the risk of replacing him, but equally so, we're dull, boring, and going nowhere.

He hasn't got more out of Nunes. He hasn't really improved any individual. We've survived because we went 'old-school'. The traditional English centre-back in (Dawson). A 4-4-2. A target man. Work hard, narrow, hard to beat.

Don't get me wrong, it's what we needed, so no complaints, but equally so, is this what the next few years hold? Is it worth it?
Great post.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we haven’t got any money, it’s a massive shame but so be it - let’s be creative.

I’m thankful for JLo keeping us up and turning our fortunes around but if he doesn’t want to be here then he should just **** off and give us a chance to get somebody in with decent time before pre season.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he deserves a season to find out but I also am surprised about him supposedly not realising the transfer situation. I totally expected us to try and recoup 75-100m and spend 25-40. Neves, kilman, podence, semedo, guedes, ran (shamefully imho) for starters. We'd need replacements ofc, I just assumed we'd find younger hungry players and maybe an experienced pro or two like dawson. Of all those I think we'd only miss neves - assuming we found a competent centre back.

Silva has to come back too, and sasa plus chiquinho post injury.

Guedes and nunes were shameful transfers. Whilst I think nunes can come good, he was way over valued. Cunha similarly but more understandable at the time and we much better with him in a front two.

Back
Top Bottom