Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui Book of Condolences...

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui left us in the lurch, absolute coward of a man.
O'Neil is getting far better performances out of a squad Lopetegui was too scared to work with.
Just as a general question, where do you see our present incumbent taking us to ?
Will he steer us to the heady heights of Villa for example.
Just general questions you understand, as I don't follow Association Football like some do.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
lol at stuff I've read here.

Lopetegui at Tottenham or Man Utd. This guy has managed ONE high profile club team and failed miserably.

He's also an idiot if he takes Forest. There's ZERO chance they aren't going to be in huge FFP **** soon.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lopetegui at Tottenham or Man Utd. This guy has managed ONE high profile club team and failed miserably.

He's also an idiot if he takes Forest. There's ZERO chance they aren't going to be in huge FFP **** soon.
Failed miserably?
He achieved the objective set by the club of keeping us in the Premier League.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’m sure both Spurs and Man Utd have hired managers with less of a pedigree.

If I was looking at him, I’d think he’s got the gravitas required, that he’s got the pedigree Spain, Madrid, Sevilla, Wolves. That he did a very good job at a big club in his last job. However I’d be concerned about his role in his departure from that job.

But on balance I’d hire him.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Club pulled out all the stops with Lopetegui with those early videos of him touring the training ground and mid season training and forgot how charismatic he was. Genuine presence on touchline .
But ,and it's a big but ,all the other stuff /moaning chats with his Spanish mate was too much for me.
If he does get the job at Forest he won't find it as easy.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
For me, his rescue act was better than ‘decent’. That underplays the achievement. Guess, we have a different outlook on this. Hey ho.
Maybe we should check back to the WC break and check, but I'm saying not many people were saying 'don't worry, we'll be mathematically safe with 3 games to spare'.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we should check back to the WC break and check, but I'm saying not many people were saying 'don't worry, we'll be mathematically safe with 3 games to spare'.
Not those words exactly but there were quite a few saying that getting just over a point per game to reach what would probably be (and turned out to be) the safety mark wasn't the near impossible task others were making out. Especially when you have a mini pre-season to sort your team out

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Not those words exactly but there were quite a few saying that getting just over a point per game to reach what would probably be (and turned out to be) the safety mark wasn't the near impossible task others were making out. Especially when you have a mini pre-season to sort your team out
Maybe, relegation was definitely very much on the line though if I remember rightly. It wasn't a miracle, some astute January signings certainly helped, but he still did a great job of sorting out the mess he inherited. As I keep saying, I don't see why people can't accept that he was sold a plan and (generously) the plan changed and he decided he didn't want to be involved. That's disloyal if you want, but he's not a Wolves fan, he's just a professional doing a job, so why should we expect loyalty? Also one of the problems is that somehow on here respecting Lopetegui has become synonymous with disliking O'Neil when to like them both simultaneously turns out to be perfectly possible.

Anyone who says cup win needs to give their head a wobble. A cup win is a nice day out, sure, relegation puts us back years

If you're mid table and the options are cup win or push to scrape into Europe then there's an argument to be had, when PL status is on the line there isn't

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see the reception he gets from the Molineux crowd if he ever came back with another Prem side?
Obviously he did a great job keeping us up, but it was a tad disappointing the way he left.

Football crowds are well known for their balanced views and introspection ........... are they ****! He will get absolute pelters no doubt about it!!

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe, relegation was definitely very much on the line though if I remember rightly. It wasn't a miracle, some astute January signings certainly helped, but he still did a great job of sorting out the mess he inherited. As I keep saying, I don't see why people can't accept that he was sold a plan and (generously) the plan changed and he decided he didn't want to be involved. That's disloyal if you want, but he's not a Wolves fan, he's just a professional doing a job, so why should we expect loyalty? Also one of the problems is that somehow on here respecting Lopetegui has become synonymous with disliking O'Neil when to like them both simultaneously turns out to be perfectly possible.
I like them both, I don't agree with JLs decision but I understand why he did it, I also don't really blame Fosun either tbh, a lot of people seem to have a desire to be angry with JL or FOSUN or GON, it's a bit weird, I'm enjoying watching Wolves again and have done since JL came in tbh. he laid a good foundation and GON is building on it IMO!

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure both Spurs and Man Utd have hired managers with less of a pedigree. If I was looking at him, I’d think he’s got the gravitas required, that he’s got the pedigree Spain, Madrid, Sevilla, Wolves. That he did a very good job at a big club in his last job. However I’d be concerned about his role in his departure from that job. But on balance I’d hire him.
Yes. Winning of farmer's leagues aside, did ten Hag and Postecoglu have better pedigree than Lopetegui (who has a won a major European trophy) when they were appointed at United and Spurs respectively? He absolutely is in the conversation if that's the standard, if for no other reason than those clubs have declined in expectation in recent years.

It's not impossible, but I can't really see him rocking up at a Palace or a Forest. As others have intimated, his next career move could be decisive - why would he swap a club with heavily restricted spending power for another one? He's not under any particular pressure to leap at the next Premier League job opening.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. Winning of farmer's leagues aside, did ten Hag and Postecoglu have better pedigree than Lopetegui (who has a won a major European trophy) when they were appointed at United and Spurs respectively? He absolutely is in the conversation if that's the standard, if for no other reason than those clubs have declined in expectation in recent years.

It's not impossible, but I can't really see him rocking up at a Palace or a Forest. As others have intimated, his next career move could be decisive - why would he swap a club with heavily restricted spending power for another one? He's not under any particular pressure to leap at the next Premier League job opening.
I think some people, especially people who don't know their footballing history, underestimate the size of our club, yes we're a long way off the top 7 now financially, but we're still a massive club.

Before JL, our last successful manager was? and he went where?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Savilla wasn't a failure.
Taking Wolves from 5 points adrift at the very bottom of the league to safety wasn't failure.
Although in fairness I am not sure he would succeed at Spurs or Man Utd.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Taking Wolves from 5 points adrift at the very bottom of the league to safety wasn't failure.
Although in fairness I am no sure he would succeed at Spurs or Man Utd.
Not confident anyone would succeed at Man U to be fair, they've had 6 goes since SAF and I don't think you could call any of them a success, the problems are deeper.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I liked Lopetegui and thought he did very well to keep us in this league. However I must say I was very disappointed with the way he left the club just a couple of days before the start of the season.
I just have made it my role to try to correct this Frank as it's stated very regularly on here. He resigned over two weeks before the start of the season (obviously still not ideal!) he just stayed on to do the club a favour in preparing the team for the season until the new manager was found.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked Lopetegui and thought he did very well to keep us in this league. However I must say I was very disappointed with the way he left the club just a couple of days before the start of the season.
I feel the same, I tried to ignore the chatter for the month or so before his departure, but the manner of him leaving reminded me of Hoddle, who I find despicable. Even to this day, I can't stand the sight and sound of him pontificating on tv.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yup, lots of rewriting of history since the close season happenings....

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not confident anyone would succeed at Man U to be fair, they've had 6 goes since SAF and I don't think you could call any of them a success, the problems are deeper.

I hope they go as deep ( and keep getting deeper ! ) as an American submarine under the polar ice caps !!!!!

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although in fairness I am not sure he would succeed at Spurs or Man Utd.
Those clubs aren't Man Utd or Spurs.

Real Madrid compares to Man Utd. And he failed miserably.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those clubs aren't Man Utd or Spurs.

Real Madrid compares to Man Utd. And he failed miserably.
Wolves aren't the minnows you think they are either, its not been that long ago that Wolves were arguably bigger than Man Utd,

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So would you agree that Nuno failed miserably at Spurs?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
very few people have an issue with the calibre of the coach, lots have an issue with the calibre of the man.
i don’t understand why some can’t accept this.
Couldn't give a rat's ass about the calibre of the man, he isn't my mate. People in leadership positions are often total dicks. Fans hoping for a manager who is both top quality and Wolves through and through, were rather spoiled by the great Nuno. People like him are extremely rare.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Couldn't give a rat's ass about the calibre of the man, he isn't my mate. People in leadership positions are often total dicks. Fans hoping for a manager who is both top quality and Wolves through and through, were rather spoiled by the great Nuno. People like him are extremely rare.
That just isn't true. I work with exec director level people and the vast majority are great people.

It matters to me, hence why I posted it.

We were spoilt by Nuno for sure, although he had his moments apparently.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That just isn't true. I work with exec director level people and the vast majority are great people. It matters to me, hence why I posted it. We were spoilt by Nuno for sure, although he had his moments apparently.
I've seen a few posts citing anecdotal examples of everyday corporate businesses, and I don't think they are compatible with Football. It's a different galaxy, let alone world. Even with that said, do we know if JL was unpopular with staff around the club?

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen a few posts citing anecdotal examples of everyday corporate businesses, and I don't think they are compatible with Football. It's a different galaxy, let alone world. Even with that said, do we know that JL was disliked by other staff at the club? We assume this from the outside looking in.
I don't think I have said that, it's more how he dragged this club through the mud for me.

I don't agree that being a football manager gives him the right to be a dick.

Leigh72

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just as a general question, where do you see our present incumbent taking us to ?
Will he steer us to the heady heights of Villa for example.
Just general questions you understand, as I don't follow Association Football like some do.
I have absolutely no idea, but he is doing no worse than Julen the coward is he?

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think I have said that, it's more how he dragged this club through the mud for me. I don't agree that being a football manager gives him the right to be a dick.
Well, this is as ever the intractable question on this thread: who dragged the good name of Wolves through the mud most with their actions, Lopetegui or the board? His interview with Balague was unprofessional, as were his comments about potentially joining a Serie A club. But the club's actions the past six months were more pernicious and destructive IMO, and I think the discerning eye recognises that. No manager of any good standing will likely work with us for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom