Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Look at the table! 6th is ours for the taking.

Nivada

Reaction score
This team is too good not to be playing in Europe next season and we all know it, 8th isn't good enough.

D

Deleted member (smith)

This team is too good not to be playing in Europe next season and we all know it, 8th isn't good enough.

i know nothing….but there is a saying that the table doesnt lie

Stingray II

Reaction score
I have to be honest, a new manager and no big name signings ,I honestly thought that 10th/ 12th would have been the best to hope for .
This is exactly where I set my goal for the season. I wasn't too confident we could get there, but decided (for me) that's a good season if we finish 10-12. The start of every season I pick a placing that I'll be happy at the end and I stick with it. To choose the placing, I try to keep emotion away and consider all things going on, past season form, and be as realistic as my bias allows. So, I'm well pleased with this season. Of course, as the season progressed I got carried away with loftier ambitions and was hoping for more - even top 4 at one point. This is football; twist, turns, changing expectations, massive highs, massive lows. My expectation at the start, before a ball was kicked is bookmarked and the measure by which I'll judge Bruno & Co. They've done good. They're not settled yet either IMO. I think Bruno's still figuring this out and to do that while keeping us at 8th or above fills me with hope. When the next season begins, my expectation for Wolves will be higher than this season. We have improved.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly think the table flatters us more than anything. We haven't exactly been a great watch and have struggled a fair bit and our defensive record has kept us in games. Can't complain as I felt this would be a bit of a nothing season so it is good that despite our issues we are actually in the conversation at this stage.

Outside of us though it is a bizarre season really. In April now and only 8 teams have broken 40 points which to me seems quite remarkable.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we are to finish above West Ham, the next couple weeks are the key to it. They have a double header versus Lyon, as well as couple of potential tricky fixtures. Friday for us is now pretty much must win given our remaining games.

If United drop points again though….

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Honestly think the table flatters us more than anything. We haven't exactly been a great watch and have struggled a fair bit and our defensive record has kept us in games. Can't complain as I felt this would be a bit of a nothing season so it is good that despite our issues we are actually in the conversation at this stage.

Outside of us though it is a bizarre season really. In April now and only 8 teams have broken 40 points which to me seems quite remarkable.

So we're only good cause we hardly concede.

You know that's still a valid tactic right?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

How can the table flatter us when we're 12 points clear of the team one place below us? It's not like we don't deserve eighth at the moment, we're miles ahead of the teams below us.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
This is exactly where I set my goal for the season. I wasn't too confident we could get there, but decided (for me) that's a good season if we finish 10-12. The start of every season I pick a placing that I'll be happy at the end and I stick with it. To choose the placing, I try to keep emotion away and consider all things going on, past season form, and be as realistic as my bias allows. So, I'm well pleased with this season. Of course, as the season progressed I got carried away with loftier ambitions and was hoping for more - even top 4 at one point. This is football; twist, turns, changing expectations, massive highs, massive lows. My expectation at the start, before a ball was kicked is bookmarked and the measure by which I'll judge Bruno & Co. They've done good. They're not settled yet either IMO. I think Bruno's still figuring this out and to do that while keeping us at 8th or above fills me with hope. When the next season begins, my expectation for Wolves will be higher than this season. We have improved.

I'm sure we had a poll on Mol Mix, asking where we all thought we'd finish with no signings and the new manager.

Can't remember what I voted personally, but positive we're doing better than we all thought.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Seventh is more than achievable, possibly sixth. If we have a reasonable run of form and win our winnable games we can overhaul one of Man United or West Ham, or both of them. Man United were awful yesterday. As Gary Neville said, he thought he was watching Soccer Aid.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure we had a poll on Mol Mix, asking where we all thought we'd finish with no signings and the new manager.

Can't remember what I voted personally, but positive we're doing better than we all thought.

Agreed. I think I predicted we would finish 10th. We have done better than most expected, and but for a couple of slip ups getting into the top six would have been in our hands. It was just a shame that the team weren't at their best at West Ham the other week, but inconsistency is to be expected from every team, apart from Liverpool and Manchester City, who are streets ahead of the rest.

BridgnorthWolf Inc

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can get 7th West Ham and man ure will drop like aa stone!!

I think you are underestimating the desire of the FA to make sure european football is secured for Manure. The normal end of season leg-up penalties are just around the corner, in fact it was there for all to see with Leicester's disallowed goal on Saturday.

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating the desire of the FA to make sure european football is secured for Manure. The normal end of season leg-up penalties are just around the corner, in fact it was there for all to see with Leicester's disallowed goal on Saturday.
Agree with this, other than the fact it is FA to do with the FA and all about how the EPL bosses (those who don't want any more Leicester Cities remember) see what is lucrative for the EPL (or, more accurately, themselves).

I would argue that we're already seeing in our last two games that the powers that be are marshalling their resources to slow any momentum for us to finish in the Top 7. The bias of the refs in the second half of both our most recent fixtures has been ludicrous. There must be apoplexy behind the scenes that despite getting Jiménez banned for two matches we went on and dismantled EPL Chief Executive Richard Masters's Aston Villa to the extent that even a sham penalty for them wasn't enough to stop us taking 3 points. I guess they'll just have to resort to once again making the kind of decisions given against Moutinho at Man City when we play the Top 3 again in May to be absolutely sure we don't finish above dysfunctional, misfiring Man Utd...

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying, especially when we have to stomach games like that against Leeds but, what we’re doing IS the next step.
Champions League was never a ‘next step’ and if we do make Europa League, it will have strained every last ounce of effort from our boys and the club.

I think we are kind of. We had the chance under Nuno and let it slip and its just my feeling we were in a position to do it again this season. Sometimes when things are in your grasp you have to take them because next season if we dont get recruitment right and we lose a couple i doubt we are finishing top half.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I dont believe with such a gap between 8th and 9th ,we are flattered by being 8th.
Position over 4 years 7th - 7th- 13th - now at least 8th ...... thats solid.

D

Deleted member (smith)

8th will be a terrific result and exceed all expectations…..sixth is not there for the taking and over our last eight games our points tally is not better than any of the teams above us….our only hope is an unlikely collapse above us and a superhuman run.

how have we done so well despite being the a very poorly managed club in the oremier league ( other than villa ) with disinterested owners who refuse to buy players and literally gave away our star player? Must be blind luck right? With Jonny, Neto , Semedo and Boly returning to the squad , the squad doesn’t look so thin . When Jimenez returns we seem to have cover. A trincao for Traore swap may not be such a desperately bad disaster as some think.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

I'll take where we are at the end of the season, even though it would be disappointing not to get Europe.
I do think getting Europe might be the key to keeping our star players though, even though it's not the be all and end all imo.

Getting European football in any form and i'm sure Ruben and Joao will sign up to stay here for a while. Don't get it and those 2 might consider moving. It all depends on what is being said behind the scenes.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Agreed. I think I predicted we would finish 10th. We have done better than most expected, and but for a couple of slip ups getting into the top six would have been in our hands. It was just a shame that the team weren't at their best at West Ham the other week, but inconsistency is to be expected from every team, apart from Liverpool and Manchester City, who are streets ahead of the rest.
this is exactly the premier league…..it’s not how you do when you are playing well but how you do when you aren’t . It’s consistency and minimizing the bad days . Sure we shouldn’t have lost at home to Brentford , palace and Leeds and those 9 points would have put us in a champions league spot…As you rightly say we have done better than expected and had some good results mixed in with th3 slip ups.
But I wonder how many chelsea fans thought it was possible to lose 1-4 at home to Brentford?

I was a terrible golfer but still hit the occasional ball straight and got a birdie. Thought that was my normal game and was absolutely shocked and devastated to spend thre majority of the round in the bushes …..when if only I played my normal game.

Reaction score
My head says that Spurs and United will finish way clear of us, and West Ham seem to keep doing enough to maintain their distance - just - too, but my heart says all 3 are within a few points of us and games in hand only mean something if you consistently win them. Spurs perhaps the form side of the three right now, United and West Ham certainly have a slip up in them. It's not over yet.

Focus on our own games and what will be will be!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My head says that Spurs and United will finish way clear of us, and West Ham seem to keep doing enough to maintain their distance - just - too, but my heart says all 3 are within a few points of us and games in hand only mean something if you consistently win them. Spurs perhaps the form side of the three right now, United and West Ham certainly have a slip up in them. It's not over yet.

Yup, time for the old Nuno ethos of "one game at a time".

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree. I think we will likely finish 8th, and that will be a tremendous achievement, but 6th or 7th is not impossible. It may well go down to the final day, and we may also have a say in who wins the title.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can the table flatter us when we're 12 points clear of the team one place below us? It's not like we don't deserve eighth at the moment, we're miles ahead of the teams below us.

And we played the team 1 place and 10 points behind us at the weekend - and looked 10 points better than them for 90% of the match. The table isn't flattering us at this stage.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Stranger things have happened. Remember 14 January 1984 when we played them at Anfield, with them sailing away with the title for the umpteenth time, and us rock bottom? I think they must have had about 90% possession and 30 shots, but we scored off our one attack, courtesy of Steve Mardenborough's shoulder and won 1-0.
Yep Mardenboroughs Shoulder was the hero that day!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont believe with such a gap between 8th and 9th ,we are flattered by being 8th.
Position over 4 years 7th - 7th- 13th - now at least 8th ...... thats solid.

Has any "Championship" club done better than that this century? I doubt it. By "Championship", I mean we spent 80+% of the previous 25 years outside the top divisions. Several clubs come up and have a good season or 3 then fade, but top 8 three seasons out of four? Not since 2000, surely, now this league is such a cartel?

It's a phenomenal achievement and I enjoy it all the more because of the way our owners have gone about it. Thinking outside the box, doing things their own way. A clear contrast to say, Villa, whose only "strategy" is to throw more and more money at "established names" then wonder why they fail ever time. 100k a week on an ageing John Terry while we were loaning the best young, but largely unknown talents such as Jota and Neves. They got Gerrard while we got Bruno and I know which I prefer!

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have to be honest, a new manager and no big name signings ,I honestly thought that 10th/ 12th would have been the best to hope for .
But IMHO we have done really well and 6th /7th is possible.
Losing to Liverpool in the last minute and losing to Man City to a very dodgy penalty proved to me that we can compete with all of these BBB clubs.
So I am happy with the progress and IF the board backs Bruno then who knows.
Just need to keep that portrait of Joao Moutinho safe in the loft for another few years!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with this, other than the fact it is FA to do with the FA and all about how the EPL bosses (those who don't want any more Leicester Cities remember) see what is lucrative for the EPL (or, more accurately, themselves).

I would argue that we're already seeing in our last two games that the powers that be are marshalling their resources to slow any momentum for us to finish in the Top 7. The bias of the refs in the second half of both our most recent fixtures has been ludicrous. There must be apoplexy behind the scenes that despite getting Jiménez banned for two matches we went on and dismantled EPL Chief Executive Richard Masters's Aston Villa to the extent that even a sham penalty for them wasn't enough to stop us taking 3 points. I guess they'll just have to resort to once again making the kind of decisions given against Moutinho at Man City when we play the Top 3 again in May to be absolutely sure we don't finish above dysfunctional, misfiring Man Utd...
In the months preceding Leicester’s PL champion win, here in N.America it was a great story and people who had never heard of Leicester or soccer or whatever, were all talking about it.
The story was in all kinds of publications and would be mentioned on tv and radio.

Having Leicester win the PL was great publicity for the PL all over the world.

BTW, games and results are not fixed.

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
Ok. So who is to blame if we finish a lowly 8th in the most competitive league in the world? Serious question, cos all the Wolves I know are delighted we are even in the top 10 (given our pre-season concerns).

Rugrats

Reaction score
Run us through that paranoia - I'm no fan of manure but are you suggesting all the prem refs were taken into a secret bunker and informed (via code) that manure must win at all costs. Surely not by leakable email, carrier pigeon perhaps ?

and if that happened can you imagine the cash that a ref would take for exposing that to the media ?

In short stop talking nonsense - please

Rugrats

Reaction score
Ok. So who is to blame if we finish a lowly 8th in the most competitive league in the world? Serious question, cos all the Wolves I know are delighted we are even in the top 10 (given our pre-season concerns).
Correct but as things pan out, what's the problem with readjusting your sights/ambitions ? Looking at the run ins, I would be shocked if Wolves don't get 7th.

However 6th is a curse with trips to bizarre places no-one has heard of meaning you've played plenty of games and travelled thousands of miles before your prem rivals for the following season are out of their holiday speedos !! - 5th or 7th cool. If faced with 6th I would rather take 8th

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Testament to the quality or financial pulling power of the Premier League is that the top 10 clubs would compete well in European competition. That is to say that the top 10 in the Premier League are among the most competitive clubs in Europe. We should really have 5 Champions League and 5 Europa League places but UEFA will never let it happen. The rise of West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle (next season) and ourselves frightens the Sky 6 and UEFA to death. A Champions League without possibly any of Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Spurs! Unthinkable?

Last edited:

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone know how the cup competitions work with Europe ?

Will 7th/8th place gain a European spot with Liverpool win the LC, also how does it work with the FA Cup seeing as 3 of 4 are in the semi's ?

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think West ham and Man united are catchable. Spurs I think have found their groove under Conte and Arsenal are miles away. I don't think we'll do it; our front three, whoever plays don't cause enough problems or score enough goals for us to win consistently.

Nivada

Reaction score
Anyone know how the cup competitions work with Europe ?

Will 7th/8th place gain a European spot with Liverpool win the LC, also how does it work with the FA Cup seeing as 3 of 4 are in the semi's ?
There's a maximum of 7 European places in English football. There's no scenario where 8th gets Europe barring a European ban for one of the top 7. There's only 5 guaranteed European spots devoted to the league, 4 Champions League spots and one Europa League spot (5th) the other two come from the League Cup (A Europa Conference spot) and the FA Cup (A Europa spot) if by the end of the season a club has won one of cups but already has a European spot of same value or higher through league place then that spot gets shifted to the league so for example at the moment Liverpool (a team who'll certainly finish above a Europa Conference spot) won the League Cup so 6th place is now a Europa Conference spot, if any of the three clubs remaining in the FA Cup other than Palace win the cup then that European spot will be converted to the league as well so 6th will take on the FA Cup's Europa spot and the Europa Conference spot will be shifted down to 7th just like it was back in 18/19 when we qualified but back then it was an extra Europa spot as the Europa Conference wasn't in existence yet.

Definitely overcomplicated all that so I'm sorry.

Last edited:

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Man yanited have a tricky few games to play yet,and they do seem a bit disjointed.Even Rashford seems down in the dumps since the Winker arrived.They have Everton away next game,Norwich at home to follow.Then they have 2 big away games at Liverpool and Arsenal.Then a home game v Brentford,away at Brighton next,and then Chelsea at home and finish with Palace away.Not an easy set of fixtures when team coesion is low.Don't think they will be way clear of us unless we have a disastrous run in.Gonna be interesting whatever happens.

But please wolves I need European football as I'm gerrin owd.A nice couple of trips to Germany would be MY liking.

Nivada

Reaction score
We're in the awkward position of likely needing a buffer of more than 3 points on 8th by the last MD to achieve European qualification as we play Liverpool away last and we're almost certainly going to get nothing there. Assuming the City and Liverpool games are a write off every game against the team's below us are a must win and we'll probably need to get something out of Chelsea as well. We're looking at a minimum of 62 points to achieve 7th similar to last year's table.

D

Deleted member (smith)

Correct but as things pan out, what's the problem with readjusting your sights/ambitions ? Looking at the run ins, I would be shocked if Wolves don't get 7th.

However 6th is a curse with trips to bizarre places no-one has heard of meaning you've played plenty of games and travelled thousands of miles before your prem rivals for the following season are out of their holiday speedos !! - 5th or 7th cool. If faced with 6th I would rather take 8th

Excuse my ignorance please and explain the above post….its probable 5 th and 6th get Europa league and 7th get Europa conference. Why is 6th worse than 7th???

Back
Top Bottom