Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Liverpool Verdict

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
It's not the loss that's bothering me, I expected that before the game, and I always knew the 2nd half would be completely different, but we could & should have been 2/3 nil up at HT, 2nd half we just invited pressure and why oh why do we never leave someone in the centre circle when defending, glass very full at HT,but very much empty at FT

Bradstonian

Reaction score
I always expect Wolves to win against Liverpool. I am old enough to remember the game in the early 70s when there were so many away fans that they broke the gates. I had been working in the Molineux Hotel pre-match, but even I couldn’t get in.
Losing at home to Liverpool is a disgrace. I’m wondering if it’s happened before under any of our previous highly thought of managers?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Subs and fatigue killed us today.

Semedo and Ait Nouri were incredible defensively in the first half. Semedo faded badly and Ait Nouri went off injured, then Liverpool killed is in wider areas.

Doyle and Traore weren’t as good as Lemina and Bellegarde when they faded.

Fabio wasn’t as good at pressing as Cunha.

Tactics worked first half, we just couldn’t maintain them. Maybe should have gone to a 532 when the midfield was changed.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you're going hung ho after they've had Klopp ripping in to them for ten minutes and he's put Diaz on? We lost the game because we're incapable of closing games out by taking chances which has been the case for three years now under five different coaches.
That's not true. We closed games out just fine under both nuno and lop.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can anyone blame GON for Cunha and his embarrassing attempt when an amateur would have scored that!!!

Cunha…. how much?? If the club bought him as a ‘striker’ they might have a case for a refund under the Trades Description Act!

Deary me

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fabio totally anonymous when he came on.
One thing I don't understand is his effort on the pitch. He didn't play 90 minutes so why doesn't he put all his effort in closing down and trying to win the ball, rather than jogging about the pitch. If you compare him to Cunha at least he tries to close down.
He constantly chased things down. We barely got the ball out.

People see what they want to see.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players were certainly good enough first half.

15 minutes with the substitute teacher at half time however....
Surely You don’t think whatever Gary said to them at half time made them useless in the second.

That performance is all on the players. Why they lost their pizazz I have no idea.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seeing lots of people blaming our strike force for our problems. I get it but we're losing because we're a calamity defensively every second half now. Playing like we are is insanity. Wins start from the back, something even Lage quickly understood, especially when you have forward issues.

Moreover, we have 2 strikers at the club, one of whom keeps being asked to play a role he just cannot play (Silva) and one who is getting much less time on the pitch than he should be. I understand Sasa can't be overplayed but he should be playing over Silva in games like this. Cunha's an excellent player running from deep but, like others keep saying, looks more like a midfielder/partner. Hwang can actually score and would rather him down the middle.

Again though, the same defence that last year could keep numerous clean sheets at home is now looking hopeless. It's tactical, end of. If we're going to play like we are first half then second half we simply have to understand our limitations and know how to shut teams out whilst still having something going forwards.

Today we shoved 11 men in the penalty area and we were going to lose every time unless we got very lucky. We didn't.

As someone else has said, everything Bournemouth fans have said happened there is happening here. Against Everton we had all the luck - world class performance in goal and non-league performance from everton in the box. Weird subs. Tactically inept. Increasingly bizarre teamtalks and even more oddly constant attacking of our previous regime who'd done very well results wise.

On the plus side, we did play very well first half and it isn't GON's fault we miss easy chances. He does deserve 2-3 more games but the signs are ominous. We have enough to beat Luton, of that I'm sure, but he has got to learn how to sort out these second half performances. 4 out of 5 league games they've been very poor indeed.

Last edited:

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary is taking us down.

He actually bottled 2 challenges in quick succession. 1 v Konate and 1 x Matip.
I didn't see him bottle any challenges but I could have missed them due to the red mist about how GON set them out second half! Silva's useless as a solo forward though - it just isn't his game and it's so obvious it's frustrating.

bigbluewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not seen anything of the game but noticed what seems to be lots of comments on here about 'running out of steam' which begs the question "are the players fit enough?"

T

TheConcourse

I am genuinely questioning if I want to watch us this season. The past 2-3 seasons have been so hard to watch and have taken most of my enjoyment away. Don't know if I've got the energy for it again.
I would have said you were mad a couple of years ago, but I'm with you. People will jump up and down calling you a fair weather fan etc, no doubt, but I'm totally disillusioned with the whole lot.

Everything about football has become sterile and boring, and I'm so close to packing it in. The fact that we've been utterly pathetic for about 3-years has coincided with VAR totally destroying football as a spectacle.

O'Neil has tipped me over the edge. It's really sad to go from a man who I'd let sleep with my wife (St Nuno), to an absolute turnip with the reaction speed of a dead dog. All in the hope that we tried to score a few more goals.

T

TheConcourse

I didn't see him bottle any challenges but I could have missed them due to the red mist about how GON set them out second half! Silva's useless as a solo forward though - it just isn't his game and it's so obvious it's frustrating.
I remember typing some nonsense about him moving like a 60-year-old after 2 hip ops. He looked really immobile.

Bizarrely, after we went 2-1 down, he started charging around.. urgh.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gon is responsible for one thing which is if he is setting up the huge press and energy which is causing great efforts now against United and Liverpool he must make changes early second half to keep energy high

He is not responsible for cunhas wasteful efforts when we should be 3-0up
Like GON said prior to kick off ,it's his job to get players into the box to have chances .....he can't stick it in the next for them .
Brilliant first half

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have said you were mad a couple of years ago, but I'm with you. People will jump up and down calling you a fair weather fan etc, no doubt, but I'm totally disillusioned with the whole lot.

Everything about football has become sterile and boring, and I'm so close to packing it in. The fact that we've been utterly pathetic for about 3-years has coincided with VAR totally destroying football as a spectacle.

O'Neil has tipped me over the edge. It's really sad to go from a man who I'd let sleep with my wife (St Nuno), to an absolute turnip with the reaction speed of a dead dog. All in the hope that we tried to score a few more goals.
I was born a wolves fan and I genuinely can't remember feeling like this. I don't think the whole var bull**** has helped either and likely forms a big part of how I've been ground down the past 3 seasons. I can't remember feeling this bad when we were relegated in back to back seasons.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
QUOTE="bigbluewolf, post: 7745840, member: 3568"]
Not seen anything of the game but noticed what seems to be lots of comments on here about 'running out of steam' which begs the question "are the players fit enough?"
[/QUOTE]
No they wilt in the second half and lose second balls.

T

TheConcourse

I was born a wolves fan and I genuinely can't remember feeling like this. I don't think the whole var bull**** has helped either and likely forms a big part of how I've been ground down the past 3 seasons. I can't remember feeling this bad when we were relegated in back to back seasons.
I'm with you, mate. The back-to-back relegations left me feeling irritated, but we were at Preston with 5000 other nuts full of hope. No emotion to it at all now. Feels like I'm watching a car crash in slow motion, and there's **** all I can do to stop it.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You seriously believe without sa and his erratic clearance we would have won. Blimey. You do know his erratic clearance reached almost the halfway line. ?
No, but I do believe that with all 4 of the points I mentioned we would have won. It’s not point 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, it’s 1 and 2 and 3 and 4

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

To be honest I struggled to leave Sheffield this morning. At least it was an entertaining game and a great first half. In general though, VAR and FFP have absolutely ruined football when it comes to it being a remorely fair competition because it's not even about a rich owner now - it's about a handful of clubs being guaranteed their position. It's boring.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played well in the first half but at half time the stats appeared on the telly.
Possession, Wolves about 35% ………Liverpool 65%.
I thought our possession was better than that.

T

TheConcourse

To be honest I struggled to leave Sheffield this morning. At least it was an entertaining game and a great first half. In general though, VAR and FFP have absolutely ruined football when it comes to it being a remorely fair competition because it's not even about a rich owner now - it's about a handful of clubs being guaranteed their position. It's boring.
Fair play for travelling from there every week. We're in Manchester. That feels like a slog at times! Although we did pack our season tickets in a couple of years ago.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have enough to beat Luton, of that I'm sure

Really? I'm not.

I know we are everything but clinical (ffs, how did you miss that, Cunha?!), but according to understat we have lost all our games on xG so far this season.

And with the amount of goals we are conceding maybe, just maybe it's time to revert to 5 at the back. Not sure where that puts Semedo, but Doc and RAN should in theory be more than decent in a system like that.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And now Klopp has admitted that McAllister was burnt out after playing at altitude and flying back from South America and shouldn't have started. We looked decent playing the first half against 10 men, basically. Against 11, we struggled.
We had players that had been playing in S America, too.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very likely they are…..so then, is it motivation? Is there a “losers “ atmosphere in the dressing room.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We played well in the first half but at half time the stats appeared on the telly.
Possession, Wolves about 35% ………Liverpool 65%.
I thought our possession was better than that.
ISTR that those stars were not at half time but after about 15-20mins of then second half where we had hardly had a sniff after the restart. If the stats compared the two halves equally I think we would have been seen to dominate the first half and Liverpool dominated the second.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone seems quick to blame GON for the second half, but not to give him any credit for the excellent first half.

If you don't take your chances when you are on top you get punished against the very best teams. Liverpool went top of the league today and they have world class players.

We are all disappointed after the good start, but you just have to take your chances - that is the difference between those teams at the top and those down the bottom.

We have had an horrendous run of fixtures, look at how well Brighton did today. With City coming up we will probably will have played this year's champions. Either City or Liverpool will take the title, United and Brighton will probably make the top six.

I looked at this start to the season and questioned if we would get any points, none of the games were what you would say we're winnable. I would have taken a point at Everton and Palace before the season started.

Luton is a must win. This is a good case about how the run of fixtures can impact a survival campaign. Luton have Wolves and Burnley at home and Forest and Everton away in the next 5 games. If they don't get three wins from those games their winnable games are already running out after already losing to West Ham at home and Fulham away.

Our winnable games at home & away
Luton
Sheffield
Burnley
Bournemouth
Everton
Fulham
Forest

You would also hope to take some home points against West ham, Villa, and Brentford.

But let's face it, getting much against the likes of United, Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Newcastle, Brighton, Chelsea and possibly Spurs is a bonus. Not impossible but hard, because they generally take their chances.

We must win at Luton, but they will see this as one of their very few winnable games.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ISTR that those stars were not at half time but after about 15-20mins of then second half where we had hardly had a sniff after the restart. If the stats compared the two halves equally I think we would have been seen to dominate the first half and Liverpool dominated the second.
I think it was at the half…..I’ll check later.

edit……just checked.
Possession first half…Wolves 35 % and Liverpool 65%.
Not very impressive , imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom