Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Liverpool Verdict

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I thought we did much better than we expected we would do.

Great first half - didn’t take the chances - including one where Netto broke and we had 4 or 5 breaking into the box.

Not sure why we sat off at start of 2nd half - just invited inevitable.

Gomes man of match for me - superb. Semedo good too. Liked cameo from Doyle.

clear Belgrade ran out of gas - should have subbed him sooner.

we are not good at pressing - or weren’t in second half - there was a mistake in Liverpool but we didn’t apply enough bodies.

results good for us today - need to avoid defeat at Luton

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jack I’m glad you’re enjoying the quality of football on offer. Do you seriously believe he will be here by Christmas
There were some good signs there today in terms of the players and the first half performance was excellent, but the tactics fell apart in the second half. GON needs more time to have 'his' team playing as he wants. I personally believe that it is too early to predict at this stage. The other question is who would you replace him with? I would like to think that the powers that be are taking a long and serious look at who the next manager will be. The other question is will the current owners be there at Christmas?

So my answer to your question is that it is too early to tell at the moment.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Went out at HT with us a goal up and hopes that we could beat Liverpool for the second successive season. So typical of this Wolves' side that I'm not surprised to see that we lost. Don't score goals when we are on top, unfortunately and of course don't score enough goals per-se. A long, hard season awaits for this goal-shy squad and a naive manager.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A lot of Sa bashing but, for me, Cunha’s miss was every bit as bad (if not worse) than that stupid kick up field. Every player misses chances but he seems to miss guilt edge after guilt edge… Yea Sa has massive brain farts but it’s the forwards who are currently losing us games and not digging us out of holes.
Cunha and Silva are trying to out do each other. Cracking battle so far tbf

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
I thought we did much better than we expected we would do.

Great first half - didn’t take the chances - including one where Netto broke and we had 4 or 5 breaking into the box.

Not sure why we sat off at start of 2nd half - just invited inevitable.

Gomes man of match for me - superb. Semedo good too. Liked cameo from Doyle.

clear Belgrade ran out of gas - should have subbed him sooner.

we are not good at pressing - or weren’t in second half - there was a mistake in Liverpool but we didn’t apply enough bodies.

results good for us today - need to avoid defeat at Luton
I think the problem was they pinned us back with four forwards on the pitch and we couldn’t deal with it. Didn’t have the energy of the first half either and had nothing upfront.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
We conceded three goals after we sat back in the second half.
So you're going hung ho after they've had Klopp ripping in to them for ten minutes and he's put Diaz on? We lost the game because we're incapable of closing games out by taking chances which has been the case for three years now under five different coaches.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
There were some good signs there today in terms of the players and the first half performance was excellent, but the tactics fell apart in the second half. GON needs more time to have 'his' team playing as he wants. I personally believe that it is too early to predict at this stage. The other question is who would you replace him with? I would like to think that the powers that be are taking a long and serious look at who the next manager will be. The other question is will the current owners be there at Christmas?

So my answer to your question is that it is too early to tell at the moment.
Good points.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So you're going hung ho after they've had Klopp ripping in to them for ten minutes and he's put Diaz on? We lost the game because we're incapable of closing games out by taking chances which has been the case for three years now under five different coaches.

No, I'd have noticed that they're now pressing our fullbacks and starving our supply and look to counter where they're light in the middle. GON didn't notice this.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We start brilliantly, don't capitalise on our dominance and then run out of steam. It's a recurring theme now.

Bellagarde and Neto brilliant. Midfield was superb in the first half, tired in the second.

So frustrating, yet so very predictable. We've now conceded 10 of our 11 goals in the second half of games.
Gon is responsible for one thing which is if he is setting up the huge press and energy which is causing great efforts now against United and Liverpool he must make changes early second half to keep energy high

He is not responsible for cunhas wasteful efforts when we should be 3-0up

Munro Munro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's an "if only", but if only we had Bully, he would have had at least 5 goals already this season and that with missing a few taken in to account. That is the difference, obviously we don't.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Enjoyed watching us first half, same old story but should have been more than 1-0 up at HT. You knew Liverpool would improve and change things second half and they were better. Not sure we managed the game well at all, that’s a concern. Atmosphere was decent and Bellegarde looks very, very good.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the problem was they pinned us back with four forwards on the pitch and we couldn’t deal with it. Didn’t have the energy of the first half either and had nothing upfront.
Our team selection made it clear we were going for a counter-attack with pace. With them playing 4 up top after HT it was surely time to go to 5-3-2 or even 5-4-1 with Sasa up top and midfielders breaking forward at pace off him. Their young debutant CH would surely have found Sasa a difficult proposition.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it's an "if only", but if only we had Bully, he would have had at least 5 goals already this season and that with missing a few taken in to account. That is the difference, obviously we don't.
Yep. Or Toney… he’d be worth £100M to us on days like today and at OT.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
Our team selection made it clear we were going for a counter-attack with pace. With them playing 4 up top after HT it was surely time to go to 5-3-2 or even 5-4-1 with Sasa up top and midfielders breaking forward at pace off him. Their young debutant CH would surely have found Sasa a difficult proposition.
Yep, agree with the Sasa shout. Should have been on instead of Fabio in this type of game.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And now Klopp has admitted that McAllister was burnt out after playing at altitude and flying back from South America and shouldn't have started. We looked decent playing the first half against 10 men, basically. Against 11, we struggled.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half superb no faults from me

Second half

We got tired, we made the wrong subs, we kept a back 4.

The formation thing is really hurting us. When we face sustained pressure like the second half we need to go to a back 5. We let a goal in and just collapsed again!!

Cunha sorry but that miss has to go down as one of the worst Iv seen in a Wolves shirt. Hang your head in shame. 50m for utter garbage.

PLAY TOTI!!

Kilman and Dawson run out of puff after 50 mins seen milk turn quicker

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve gotta look again but was Max a bit sleepy for their first two goals? I thought he could/should have done more.
We attacked well in the first half but take Neto out of that and how effective would our first half been?
I think Max has been shocking this season. He should be looking at Craig Dawson if he needs inspiring.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A lot of Sa bashing but, for me, Cunha’s miss was every bit as bad (if not worse) than that stupid kick up field. Every player misses chances but he seems to miss guilt edge after guilt edge… Yea Sa has massive brain farts but it’s the forwards who are currently losing us games and not digging us out of holes.
Just watched the highlights and that really was a shocking miss. It's the kind of finish you can accept from an under 12 but not from a Premier League player.

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
There was some comment about us in the past couple of seasons, we get the vast majority of our points when we have kept clean sheets. In other words, our solid defending has kept us afloat. The point is our pathetic goal scoring means it only takes one mistake - or heaven forbid, one bit of good attacking play by opponent - and we probably won't get the points.

If we are 2-1 ahead at that point, Sa wouldn't be looking for a quick counter to regain the lead. I agree that missing clear chances like todays, is as bad as donating goals to opponents. And it's not a new problem. That final pass going astray, ruining a promising position, too. Forwards get the glory work and most fans don't understand that you defend as a team. Dawson and Kilman were actually keeping us in it until midfield burnt out and attack was taken off.
I think both were mistakes. Cunha misjudged the cross, but if the defender had nicked it then it would have been well timed as he would have been at the right height.

Sa was trying to keep us on the front food and spotted Neto away with a chance to outpace a defence he'd had on toast first half. How many times have I read on here we don't take the hand brake off or play safe.

Both are poor in hindsight, but are 2 of our best players. Madness to hammer them

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I'd also like to add that I got the logic behind the firsts subs.

Liverpool had worked out how to get down our wings so bringing on Doc to 'widen' our defence made sense to me.

Cunha was tiring quick (been in South Ameica this week?) and for all Fabio's lacking in areas, he is more mobile than Sasa and our mobility is what pulled Liverpool about first half.

That said, neither worked so maybe that's why I'm not a football manager!

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
What the **** is being said at half time?

3 second half goals conceded against Brighton, Palace and now Liverpool.

This falls on the manager.

Fuming
Bang on the money mate! My concern is that we look like as soon as we concede one we literally capitulate and the heads go down! That’s down to the leadership and morale within the squad. What the hell he is saying to them at half time too is beyond me!? If it’s a fitness issue then that equally falls to him and our cheap ass owners for bringing in such amateurs! Get rid now or we’ll be down by xmas!

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gon is responsible for one thing which is if he is setting up the huge press and energy which is causing great efforts now against United and Liverpool he must make changes early second half to keep energy high

He is not responsible for cunhas wasteful efforts when we should be 3-0up
I agree. The high intensity press in the first half is making us very good in the first half, and very poor in the second half. Also remember most games now have 55 minute second half's. It's incredibly naive management. I appreciate we've played well at times, but our players are clearly running out of steam and I'm not convinced we have the depth to play this way for 100 minutes every week.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
No, I'd have noticed that they're now pressing our fullbacks and starving our supply and look to counter where they're light in the middle. GON didn't notice this.
Why did he put on an extra full back then? Admittedly it didn't work but he did react at least. Look I'm no GON fan boy but or failure to invest in even one proven goalscorer when we probably need 2 or 3 is what's killing us.

Wisdomwolf

Groupie
Reaction score
And now Klopp has admitted that McAllister was burnt out after playing at altitude and flying back from South America and shouldn't have started. We looked decent playing the first half against 10 men, basically. Against 11, we struggled.
We had 5 starters who played in Africa and South America. Another deemed not available. Klopp had the luxury to take Mac off at half time, give Dias 45 minutes and Nunez just under.

Ditton Wolf

Reaction score
Fabio totally anonymous when he came on.
One thing I don't understand is his effort on the pitch. He didn't play 90 minutes so why doesn't he put all his effort in closing down and trying to win the ball, rather than jogging about the pitch. If you compare him to Cunha at least he tries to close down.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Do we have a sports psychologist? If not it might be worth investing in a few because none of our players have any composure in front of goal (except Hwang).

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s important to temper anything with the fact that it was against Liverpool and they are flying this season.

But that was such a disappointment in terms of how we ended up losing it from such a dominant first half.

I don’t even know what to say so I’ll go positives first:

Bellegarde, Joao Gomes, Semedo, Neto and RAN until he came off.

We looked decent when on top and played with a confidence and swagger that we seldom see from this team. We literally battered them and tore them apart for the entire first half… and then nothing; not a sausage in the second half.

I don’t know what happens to us at half time. Is it possible that the manager isn’t rousing enough and we come out flat? Does he overload them with information and instruction? Or is it as simple as we put so much effort in early in the game, feed off adrenaline, play to our maximum and then half time is a massive come down?

Something isn’t right, that’s for sure, because that’s the 3rd (?) time this season that we’ve been bang in the game and have come out for the second half as flat as a pancake.
I suspect (and yes it’s complete conjecture), that they go in expecting to be told ‘brilliant lads more of the same’ but are in fact told to go and do something completely different which if I were a player I would find baffling and demotivating.

T

TheConcourse

Absolutely awesome first half, unplayable…..except for the age old problem of not scoring bloody goals. Go in to the break 3-0 up (as we should have done) and we are out of sight. 1-0 up and Liverpool still think they can get back in to the game, and so it proved in the second half, helped by a Sa brain fart and a deflected own goal.

I really don’t get the hate for GON; I didn’t want him but that first half shows that we have potential and he has to take credit for that BUT he can’t be blamed for our inability to score. In the second half we were under a massive amount of pressure from one of the best teams in the land (see Para 1j and I am not sure what else he could do when Liverpool massively up their game and we make either individual errors or have some bad Luck.

I also think that Dawson was fouled in the build up to the Liverpool third goal and in the middle of the second half Neto was pulled back off the ball but no foul given and no Liverpool booking.

It is way to early to start talking about changing managers. The games against, Luton, Bournemouth, Villa, Sheffield Utd and Fulham are a more important barometer than today.
We're averaging 0.6 PPG. It's definitely not 'way too early' to start talking about changing an inexperienced manager. If we get beat at Luton then I'd be very surprised, and totally ****ed off if he's in the dugout against City.

If we beat Luton, then I agree with you, he probably gets that run of games (regardless of what happens against City). That run up until Fulham will decide his future here - if he beats Luton.

Anything other than 3 points at Kenilworth Road and he's toast (hopefully!).

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Verdict, we can play for 45.minutes but need to be 3/4 up because we're dog **** at the back & crumble under the slightest breeze.

Sa is an absolute cluster **** of a keeper. Bentley not much better but **** it.

Kilman, christ what are you doing for goal number 1. If that was Semedo he'd be crucified. Starring to think we should have taken that Napoli money & run.

Dawson. Ahh Dawson. Absolutely awful for goal one. Dunno if he should be stronger against Nunes for that other goal.

Stick Toti & Santi in. They can't/won't do worse.

Bellegarde. Looks a ball.

Neto. Keep him on the left. Absolute filth & the next jewel to be sold.

Cunha. The Adama of strikers. Does everything great bar the final ball. Goes to absolute **** in the box & waste of money at this point.

GON. Truthfully, looks out of his depth.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why did he put on an extra full back then? Admittedly it didn't work but he did react at least. Look I'm no GON fan boy but or failure to invest in even one proven goalscorer when we probably need 2 or 3 is what's killing us.

Doherty was played as a winger, not a fullback?

Back
Top Bottom