Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Liverpool for Sale

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the madness of the Champions League draw v Real Madrid this morning, The Athletic are reporting Liverpool have been placed up for sale by Fenway Sports Group and that things have been in place for a few weeks to get the process moving.

This is FSG’s response to the article: FSG puts Liverpool up for sale

35AD2A67-6CAF-4D1A-AE77-BCE42E3ADED7.png

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Probably just a fishing exercise to see what interest there is. Wouldn't read too much into it.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
After the madness of the Champions League draw v Real Madrid this morning, The Athletic are reporting Liverpool have been placed up for sale by Fenway Sports Group and that things have been in place for a few weeks to get the process moving.

This is FSG’s response to the article: FSG puts Liverpool up for sale

View attachment 31331
Crying because richer owners turning up at other clubs levelling the playing field? - they have been in Liverpool too long.

W

WasStefan

No super league = loss of interest?
Probably saw Chelsea go for silly money and want some of the action.

Bet the Saudi’s are gutted this didn’t happen a year earlier.

It’ll be another American who takes it over imo. Unless Sheikh Mansour has a brother in Dubai with trillions to burn.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The white flag flies . They know oil riches buy success .
Newcastle may become an established top six team sooner than we thought.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We're seeing a certain bubble burst as a result of the Newcastle takeover.

There was an idea for a while - Liverpool the best example, Spurs falling off already in recent years- that clubs could be consistent top four teams though solid off-field management and shrewd investment. There was an acceptance that having Man City in the league skewed things, but you just needed to be better run that 17-18 other teams in order to be next in line to capitalise if and when City had a bad year.

Now Newcastle are in and wanting to find a way to do what City have done. The paradigm has been shaken up again.

FSG have been shaken by this, as have Fosun.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There was an idea for a while - Liverpool the best example, Spurs falling off already in recent years- that clubs could be consistent top four teams though solid off-field management and shrewd investment. There was an acceptance that having Man City in the league skewed things, but you just needed to be better run that 17-18 other teams in order to be next in line to capitalise if and when City had a bad year.

Now Newcastle are in and wanting to find a way to do what City have done. The paradigm has been shaken up again.

Actually I disagree. I think US investors saw (see) European football as ripe for an NFL Super League carving up, where they get a proportionate amount amount of the tv money (ie. ALL of it) or even better, cut out Sky and go direct via an app and make bazillions.
Luckily U.K. fans went bat**** mental and that door seems closed for now (to U.K. clubs at least) so their model no longer makes sense.
They aren’t bothered if they can compete with City or Newcastle or even winning trophies. They were bothered if they could cut away the deadwood and have a closed shop with Real, Barca, Milan and Juve.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s crowd fund the takeover and then put Jeff in charge that should even things up a little :tearsofjoy:

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Newcastle have just spent their money well and bought in a good a manager.

Has their expenditure been any different to us, Villa, Everton, West Ham etc. over the years.
They would have hit a FFP limit after 3 year but this will jump if they get top 4.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Actually I disagree. I think US investors saw (see) European football as ripe for an NFL Super League carving up, where they get a proportionate amount amount of the tv money (ie. ALL of it) or even better, cut out Sky and go direct via an app and make bazillions.
Luckily U.K. fans went bat**** mental and that door seems closed for now (to U.K. clubs at least) so their model no longer makes sense.
They aren’t bothered if they can compete with City or Newcastle or even winning trophies. They were bothered if they could cut away the deadwood and have a closed shop with Real, Barca, Milan and Juve.

I don't disagree at all with most of your post. I just don't think that mentality/plan has gone away. They bungled it the last time with a poor roll out. If they hadn't gone about it in such an amateurish way, they might have taken at least several steps towards getting it done. And I think a lot of investors still have an eye on that approach. FSG were chief among the people who got burned by that failure, so I agree with you that will be part of their own wish to get out. But I don't think that idea is dead.

I think it's more the existing premier league mentality that's dying off. The one that solidified in the wake of the Abramovich takeover twenty years ago. An elite four. Then a couple of other teams tried to get a piece of that pie and it became an elite six. Cutting the deadwood didn't really matter because those teams were safe in their positions. Then the super league thinking came in and they saw the chance at even more revenue with even more control over the product. Over the next few years I think it might well have a go at being an elite two/three. And they will lick their wounds for a few years before having another go at the super league, and the 'run a solid ship' types of rich people, like FSG and Spurs ownership, are seeing that they can't compete with the 'find ways to throw money at it' rich people in the meantime.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Has their expenditure been any different to us, Villa, Everton, West Ham etc. over the years.
They would have hit a FFP limit after 3 year but this will jump if they get top 4.

This past year, yes. It's the years to come that are the issue.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They had the biggest net spend of any team in the history of the Premier league in 2022

molinew

Reaction score
They had the biggest net spend of any team in the history of the Premier league in 2022
Exactly. And people often point to the fact Trippier only cost them £12m, for example, ignoring the fact Newcastle could easily outspend teams who could afford the transfer fee in wages

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It now appears Liverpool aren't for sale at all but just want more investment.

Back
Top Bottom