Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Liquidator return?!

Should the liquidator return?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mid 90s there was a youth culture programme called “The Passenger” on channel 4 (my memory might play tricks on me but I think it was on straight after the Word) Was a whole episode about Goldie they went to LA and saw some of his old artwork but they also drove round Wolverhampton and found a lot of his graffiti from back in the day was still up.
Yes....as I said a chap in my year at school was his oppo....went all through nursery, juniors and senior school with this chap...a sound chap but him and Goldie were for ever getting arrested for vandilism....they call it art these days....me mates done loads of wolves stuff...sure has done stuff for the club....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes....as I said a chap in my year at school was his oppo....went all through nursery, juniors and senior school with this chap...a sound chap but him and Goldie were for ever getting arrested for vandilism....they call it art these days....me mates done loads of wolves stuff...sure has done stuff for the club....

Mad to think some of his art is still up from the 80s.

I mean technically it is vandalism and some of it is junk (just kids tagging stuff) but I think a lot of it is proper art.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's kind of great, the big issue is once you Google something, you get bombarded with ads. I was driving the other day and saw this car I hadn't seen before, a Cadillac Lyriq, so I googled it (like you do), now I'm getting test drive invitations, and Cadillac ads pop up at random times.
Try googling some big breasted blonde, see what adverts you get :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Try googling some big breasted blonde, see what adverts you get :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Years ago at work a colleague legitimately googled "fastener" relating to securing materials together. One of the synonyms was "screw".... Need l say anymore.... Cue a chat with security to explain what he'd been doing and why......

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mad to think some of his art is still up from the 80s.

I mean technically it is vandalism and some of it is junk (just kids tagging stuff) but I think a lot of it is proper art.
Obviously levels isn't there......but my mate was adamant as a kid he would make a career out of of art....I used to laugh , saying the only place it's gonna get ya is in the Green........He told the career bloke at school he was gonna be an artist....we told him to stick him down for painting and decorating.......

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously levels isn't there......but my mate was adamant as a kid he would make a career out of of art....I used to laugh , saying the only place it's gonna get ya is in the Green........He told the career bloke at school he was gonna be an artist....we told him to stick him down for painting and decorating.......
My best pal from school spent all his youth saying he was joining the navy. Remember those colour blind tests you did at 15-16? My mate couldn’t tell the difference between blue and green which would have made map reading interesting! Funny thing is he’s ended up a painter and decorator, has to be very particular and write on cans and walls what colours going where. Few of the lads in our late teens got into playing snooker, he came once and went home in a strop as we kept laughing at him keep asking which balls were which

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My best pal from school spent all his youth saying he was joining the navy. Remember those colour blind tests you did at 15-16? My mate couldn’t tell the difference between blue and green which would have made map reading interesting! Funny thing is he’s ended up a painter and decorator, has to be very particular and write on cans and walls what colours going where. Few of the lads in our late teens got into playing snooker, he came once and went home in a strop as we kept laughing at him keep asking which balls were which
I had a slight colour defect they used to say...think it was red and green....I used to proper pap it when it came to them tests....the once I tried to remember the numbers the chap before me had said...thinking I was being clever......they had changed the numbers....they proper had a go at me , saying you aye never gonna be able to fly a plane.....me fighter pilot dreams were over....back on the building site then....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I had a slight colour defect they used to say...think it was red and green....I used to proper pap it when it came to them tests....the once I tried to remember the numbers the chap before me had said...thinking I was being clever......they had changed the numbers....they proper had a go at me , saying you aye never gonna be able to fly a plane.....me fighter pilot dreams were over....back on the building site then....
Best of it was as school kids he got loads of grief about it but one lad in particular gave him the most. He missed the test day was oblivious. He ended up being a motor monkey and to his horror he was also colour blind as he found out at college when they started spraying bodywork. Karma at its finest lol

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why does anyone think the music at the football has to be contemporary, or local, or need to appeal to the babbies? Anyone going to Molineux for the tunes is a bit weird if you ask me. I go to gigs now to listen to music I like, and when I was a youth (in Brum), I'd go to indie clubs like Snobs and Subway City... I wouldn't expect to get my musical kicks in the South Bank!

I could pick any town or city but, for example... in Liverpool they play the Z Cars tune and YNWA, while they could've played the Beatles, The La's, China Crisis, Teardrop Explodes, Cast, The Coral (alright maybe not), Echo and the Bunnyman, Tremz, etc, etc. There's probably no supporter of Everton or Liverpool FC who would want any of the great songs of those artists played before KO because the songs they walk out to have history and meaning for them, even if they're both crap.

So for us, I don't want some cracking tune by someone with a local or Wolves connection. I want the Liquidator. It's what I grew up on and it gets us going.

Wolf79

Groupie
Reaction score
Why does anyone think the music at the football has to be contemporary, or local, or need to appeal to the babbies? Anyone going to Molineux for the tunes is a bit weird if you ask me. I go to gigs now to listen to music I like, and when I was a youth (in Brum), I'd go to indie clubs like Snobs and Subway City... I wouldn't expect to get my musical kicks in the South Bank!

I could pick any town or city but, for example... in Liverpool they play the Z Cars tune and YNWA, while they could've played the Beatles, The La's, China Crisis, Teardrop Explodes, Cast, The Coral (alright maybe not), Echo and the Bunnyman, Tremz, etc, etc. There's probably no supporter of Everton or Liverpool FC who would want any of the great songs of those artists played before KO because the songs they walk out to have history and meaning for them, even if they're both crap.

So for us, I don't want some cracking tune by someone with a local or Wolves connection. I want the Liquidator. It's what I grew up on and it gets us going.
Great post

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree (reluctantly).

Society has changed (not for the better imo) and the woke brigade just simply won't allow people to tell each other to **** off!
Well that’s not true is it? Or the stadium would be half empty if everyone singing offensive songs was removed. The liquidator much like denim jackets and rockport shoes is best left in the 90s

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I wonder if this is the guy who's done the fantastic wolves art work ' Out of darkness cometh light' ?
In Old Hall street Wolvo..

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a proper answer from Jeff the police thing is a lie

Otherwise wba wouldn’t be able to play it

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a proper answer from Jeff the police thing is a lie

Otherwise wba wouldn’t be able to play it
I wouldn’t hold up what them lot do inside their stadium as a beacon of hope after the scenes at the BCD and then racial abuse against blues. I’m not saying playing the liquidator was the reason but I’m fairly sure the police would have preferred them not to play it at the BCD which was a firework waiting to go off.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The police thing was always known to be just advice though, it's always been the decision of the club.
Well, yes and no. Technically you are correct. However, if police "advice" is ignored and there is subsequently trouble it likely would have seriously negative implications with the stadium licensing body.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No. I like drum & bass but claiming its more innovative or influential than hip hop over the last 50 years just objectively isn’t true.
Id say more genres of music including drum and bass have evolved from the early chicago and detriot scenes than hip hop over the last 50 years quite easily and will have influenced more people .

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if this is the guy who's done the fantastic wolves art work ' Out of darkness cometh light' ?
In Old Hall street Wolvo..
He is I think..I'm sure he did the Nuno one...he has definitely done a load of wolves stuff....he is a big fan dating back to when we was kids....

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Well, yes and no. Technically you are correct. However, if police "advice" is ignored and there is subsequently trouble it likely would have seriously negative implications with the stadium licensing body.
Fair point, I mean when you read this it's hard to say no, even though the correlation between singing "**** off West Brom" and fighting after the game would be hard to prove I think. Maybe someone on here was in 'Young Wolves' in 2002! Also whether the letter to West Brom ever did get written I don't know?

21 November, 2002
"Dear Sir Jack
re: The 'Liquidator'
I am aware that my predecessor - Chief Superintendent Roger Alien - took issuewith the playing of the'Liquidator'. I am sorry that the playing of the tune hasresurrected itself and the foul language which is associated with it. I amcertainly not a prude, but people do take exception to several thousandsupporters screaming "F*** o** West Brom" at the top of their voices.
This Season we have seen the arrival of particularly nasty supporters under thename of 'Young Wolves'.That is why we are having to police every match. Evenafter the victory against Coventry City, they came back to the City Centre andcaused mayhem. I am happy with the support that we are receiving from the Clubin tackling the problems. Anything we can do to reduce tension at matches mustbe beneficial. I am
aware of letters to supporters, notices and messages on a web site appealing tosupporters to not swear.The philosophy of the Football League is to 'clean upthe anti-social behaviour associated with the game.'The playing of the'Liquidator' undermines all of this; in fact, in my opinion it is sheerhypocrisy.
I feel it sad that with all the serious crime in Wolverhampton, I have to spendtime composing a letter requesting that the record is not played at footballmatches. I really do have better things to do with my time. My understanding ofthe situation is that they play it at West Bromwich so why shouldn't we play itat
Wolverhampton Wanderers? My colleague, Chief Superintendent Gilbert, from WestBromwich will write to the Chairman of West Bromwich Albion Football Clubrequesting that they do not play it.
You have received 100% co-operation from myself in respect of policing over anumber-of years, e.g. reducing charges wherever possible. The relationshipbetween us has always been cordial. I therefore ask that the 'Liquidator' is nolonger played. This is important, in order to reduce tension. The intelligenceassociated with the match to be played against Nottingham Forest on Saturday,clearly indicates that some form of
confrontation is planned between the 'yobs' that associate themselves withrespectable Football Clubs.
Should you wish, I am more than happy to discuss the rationale with youpersonally as opposed to the rather impersonal medium of a letter.
Yours sincerely,

John Colston
Chief Superintendent

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair point, I mean when you read this it's hard to say no, even though the correlation between singing "**** off West Brom" and fighting after the game would be hard to prove I think. Maybe someone on here was in 'Young Wolves' in 2002! Also whether the letter to West Brom ever did get written I don't know?

21 November, 2002
"Dear Sir Jack
I am aware that my predecessor - Chief Superintendent Roger Alien - took issuewith the playing of the'Liquidator'. I am sorry that the playing of the tune hasresurrected itself and the foul language which is associated with it. I amcertainly not a prude, but people do take exception to several thousandsupporters screaming "F*** o** West Brom" at the top of their voices.
This Season we have seen the arrival of particularly nasty supporters under thename of 'Young Wolves'.That is why we are having to police every match. Evenafter the victory against Coventry City, they came back to the City Centre andcaused mayhem. I am happy with the support that we are receiving from the Clubin tackling the problems. Anything we can do to reduce tension at matches mustbe beneficial. I am
aware of letters to supporters, notices and messages on a web site appealing tosupporters to not swear.The philosophy of the Football League is to 'clean upthe anti-social behaviour associated with the game.'The playing of the'Liquidator' undermines all of this; in fact, in my opinion it is sheerhypocrisy.
I feel it sad that with all the serious crime in Wolverhampton, I have to spendtime composing a letter requesting that the record is not played at footballmatches. I really do have better things to do with my time. My understanding ofthe situation is that they play it at West Bromwich so why shouldn't we play itat
Wolverhampton Wanderers? My colleague, Chief Superintendent Gilbert, from WestBromwich will write to the Chairman of West Bromwich Albion Football Clubrequesting that they do not play it.
You have received 100% co-operation from myself in respect of policing over anumber-of years, e.g. reducing charges wherever possible. The relationshipbetween us has always been cordial. I therefore ask that the 'Liquidator' is nolonger played. This is important, in order to reduce tension. The intelligenceassociated with the match to be played against Nottingham Forest on Saturday,clearly indicates that some form of
confrontation is planned between the 'yobs' that associate themselves withrespectable Football Clubs.
Should you wish, I am more than happy to discuss the rationale with youpersonally as opposed to the rather impersonal medium of a letter.
Yours sincerely,

John Colston
Chief Superintendent
Back in 2002 time has evolved fan behaviour at Molineux has improved we should be able to play it. Who’s starting the petition?

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Back in 2002 time has evolved fan behaviour at Molineux has improved we should be able to play it. Who’s starting the petition?
Indeed. I think West Brom did stop playing it for a long time, but started again a decade or so ago. Wouldn't be surprised if they're asked to stop again after the last couple of weeks. Hardly seems likely to actually cause problems though, all just in the 'have to be seen to be trying' category.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Indeed. I think West Brom did stop playing it for a long time, but started again a decade or so ago. Wouldn't be surprised if they're asked to stop again after the last couple of weeks. Hardly seems likely to actually cause problems though, all just in the 'have to be seen to be trying' category.
It’s just utterly ridiculous for the police to suggest playing it leads to violence.

If they don’t want to encourage swearing (which isn’t a crime so no business of the police) then fine; but don’t try and make the leap that it is the cause of violence. The club selling alcohol would be far more of a factor to that…

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies if mentioned, but the Talking Wolves podcast recently stated that the club have no problem with it and they implied they've spoken to someone at the club to get this information.

The only issue was that it was the Liquidator would replace Hi Ho Silver Lining, and they weren't sure if that would go down well.

But if we pushed for the Liquidator then it would come back, they just didn't know if it had the right support.

Admittedly I think this was before the cup tie, but I do find it ridiculous that it can ever be associated with causing trouble. Quite hilarious stance IMO. The Albion fans decided to attack Wolves fans in the home end because they heard the Liquidator 70 minutes ago :D
Likewise back in the day, reading that letter above. I'm sure Wolves lads would have been having fights with Birmingham, Millwall, Forest etc. that season without hearing a 3 minute song before a game.

So, if we do want it, it sounds like it could happen.

I would personally be happy replacing Hi Ho Silver Lining with the Liquidator.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apologies if mentioned, but the Talking Wolves podcast recently stated that the club have no problem with it and they implied they've spoken to someone at the club to get this information.

The only issue was that it was the Liquidator would replace Hi Ho Silver Lining, and they weren't sure if that would go down well.

But if we pushed for the Liquidator then it would come back, they just didn't know if it had the right support.

Admittedly I think this was before the cup tie, but I do find it ridiculous that it can ever be associated with causing trouble. Quite hilarious stance IMO. The Albion fans decided to attack Wolves fans in the home end because they heard the Liquidator 70 minutes ago :D
Likewise back in the day, reading that letter above. I'm sure Wolves lads would have been having fights with Birmingham, Millwall, Forest etc. that season without hearing a 3 minute song before a game.

How do we push harder for it?

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

21 November, 2002
"Dear Sir Jack
Yours sincerely,

John Colston
Chief Superintendent
Please don't play COD/DAYZ or Battlefield before coming to a game because it 'might' cause an issue after.

Load of codswallop blaming a song on the crime in Wolverhampton after the game.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Don't know tbf.

I guess if it went around on social media, journalists putting it out there, writing letters etc.
I'm deeply cynical about the Supporters' Trust and the idea they might have any real influence over ticket prices, fixture schedules etc. However if there's something they could actually influence, surely it's pre-match music?

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Please don't play COD/DAYZ or Battlefield before coming to a game because it 'might' cause an issue after.

Load of codswallop blaming a song on the crime in Wolverhampton after the game.
I hope fans take their little speakers and sing in unison

Reaction score

Could they not just play both?

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Get it on then.

Reasonable post BTW.

I don't think anyone is that sentimental about Silver Lining, it's just something to go along with before the game. Like you say, they could play both. I also don't think it'd be a regressive step, or anachronistic, I just think it'd be the club actually listening to us fans?

Fantasy time now.... If I was a billionaire with a few bob to spare and bought the club, it'd be my first move, followed by the redevelopment of the Steve Bull stand (tight to the pitch, adding a few thousand and rounding the corner into the South Bank) and allowing fans' flags all round the upper tiers like Chelsea. Then I'd do what I always say on here, and buy the pub building behind the Steve Bull and turn it into a German-style fan zone :)

Back
Top Bottom