Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Liquidator return?!

Should the liquidator return?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There would probably be a way to start with one and morph it into the other.

So it goes “hi ho Wolverhampton”
“………da da da **** off west briom, the wolves”

Have both songs , and lose some of the instrumental bits they both have. Possibly just have each chorus once.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
United game you could tell both home and away fans wanted to sing for the 10 mins before kick off but the tannoy and music was so loud you couldn't hear anything else.

Reaction score
Personally I don't think we should bring back The Liquidator, Chelski and Sandwell Sparrows use it, we should have something new and original.... As for the **** off West Brom chant, bit daft seeing as though they are in the Chumpionship, why obsess over those bunch of has-beens? We should focus on bigger and better things!

Last edited by a moderator:

Titch

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
United game you could tell both home and away fans wanted to sing for the 10 mins before kick off but the tannoy and music was so loud you couldn't hear anything else.
Agreed some games you don't the tannoy on, the Albion cup game was the same.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
Agreed. I’ve said it before on other threads, the music is too loud and non-stop until the players walk out. The club only allows us to start singing when they play hi ho wolverhampton. It’s all very controlled pre match in regard to singing or the lack of it.

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Blues used to play this before their games, thought it was good one to get everyone up for it:

Direwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
20 years ago I would have said yeah definitely. Now I do not really care for loads of youths shouting **** off West Brom it all seems a bit immature and childish. My sincere apologies it's an age thing.

I do like to be beside the seaside is far more acceptable and gives the crowd the opportunity to do the same it used to be a much better option and did not need the ska.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need something that's unique to us and by one of the famous Wolves fans. I really like Immigrant Song. It's by Robert Plant and has the air raid siren like shout at the start. Perfect to come out to and it doesn't come much more unique or cooler than Led Zeppelin!

We should also find a way to incorporate Land of Hope and Glory as well. Not every club has a de facto National Anthem written by a fan!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
20 years ago I would have said yeah definitely. Now I do not really care for loads of youths shouting **** off West Brom it all seems a bit immature and childish. My sincere apologies it's an age thing.

I do like to be beside the seaside is far more acceptable and gives the crowd the opportunity to do the same it used to be a much better option and did not need the ska.
You've blown my mind there. I don't ever remember us actually playing I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside, but if we did are you actually saying it's a better tune than The Liquidator?

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must be one of the few in the 'Cant care less about the Liquidator 'camp........Just makes us look small and an aggressive bunch stuck in the 80's. Like most of our songs nowadays since Ruben's & Raul's departure , its 'anti' another club, rather than 'pro Wolves . Even at the cup game , after the Pedro Neto chant , 1st song sung was 'Albion get battered' followed by '**** the Albion' ....

Would love us to be more creative with chants that are in support of Wolves rather than against the opposition ........

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Anyone who went to Molineux in the early 90's will know the importance, relevance and effectiveness of The Liquidator.

I appreciate that many are not old enough to have heared it before a game so I'll try to take you there.

15 mins before kick off, people downing a pint as quick as possible. You couldn't miss this, it was integral to the days entertainment. 14.50 - people, whatever their bodily dimensions, running to the turnstiles.

All this for the Liquidator.

You see the teams emerge from the tunnel. And then you hear the first part of the intro. And then it begains. The noise is incredible, it's loud, enjoyable and intimidating. For our players and crowd, it is energizing and inspiring.

The difference is these days we wait for the team to inspire us to make some noise. The Liquidator did that alone.

It was so special, and made a real difference to the Molineux experience.

It has to come back.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone who went to Molineux in the early 90's will know the importance, relevance and effectiveness of The Liquidator.

I appreciate that many are not old enough to have heared it before a game so I'll try to take you there.

15 mins before kick off, people downing a pint as quick as possible. You couldn't miss this, it was integral to the days entertainment. 14.50 - people, whatever their bodily dimensions, running to the turnstiles.

You see the teams emerge from the tunnel. And then you hear the first part of the intro. And then it begains. The noise is incredible, it's loud, enjoyable and intimidating. For our players and crowd, it is energizing and inspiring.

The difference is these days we wait for the team to inspire us to make some noise. The Liquidator did that alone.

It has to come back.
I go much father back to early 70s with the Liquidator and it still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You've blown my mind there. I don't ever remember us actually playing I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside, but if we did are you actually saying it's a better tune than The Liquidator?
we used to sing it at most games i went to in the 70s. we lost 90% plus of our songs when crowds dwindled in the 80s

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must be one of the few in the 'Cant care less about the Liquidator 'camp........Just makes us look small and an aggressive bunch stuck in the 80's. Like most of our songs nowadays since Ruben's & Raul's departure , its 'anti' another club, rather than 'pro Wolves . Even at the cup game , after the Pedro Neto chant , 1st song sung was 'Albion get battered' followed by '**** the Albion' ....

Would love us to be more creative with chants that are in support of Wolves rather than against the opposition ........
Chants against our rivals, after we take the lead, whilst playing them. How dare we.

Roswolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I thought it was funny that Chelsea play this but don't sing any words. We showed them the way forward.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Before the match they interviewed the guy who made this film. Starts with quite a bit about The Liquidator and becomes how a bunch of young men who loved music made by Black people could turn into probably the most racist football club in the country. It really is a great watch for people who weren't around in the 70's and plenty of lessons in it that are relevant to some of the stuff that goes on today (will run through YouTube)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fans singing Beside the Seaside (which incidentally also featured "eff off West Brom and Birmingham") absolutely. It being used when the team came out? Never in my experience which goes back to the 60s.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It has to come back.
True but it dates back way before the 90s - l remember it in the early 70s. I think that it was used non-stop except for one season when Sir Jack tried bringing back "The Happy Wanderer".

JJ59

Reaction score
Bring back:

"Would the owner of a blue Vauxhall Astra, registration L492PHT please report to the nearest steward? That's a blue Vauxhall Astra, registration L492PHT to the nearest steward please. Thank you."

Remember listening to Alan Green doing a radio commentary on 5 live when the stadium announcer asked for the owner a car to contact the stewards. Alan said that's my car and had to leave, I believe his car was on fire.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t see why we keep brining it back up. It’s never coming back.

Change the song though. Hi ho is ****

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It has to come back.
Completely agree Norway. In my 55 years I’ve never experienced an atmosphere like the Palace play off game, the liquidator got the crowd going but that was just the start. Many of the Palace players could not believe the noise and hostility of it all.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I find it amazing that fans can chant **** the albion for several minutes home and away, but we cant sing **** off west brom prior to the game via the liquidator.

Maybe we should just sit there like fans do at the snooker.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
The Happy Wanderer was a worthy bit of nostalgia by Jack but showed just how dated he and we were in those days. Speaking of which, why on earth do we sing a pretty irrelevant Mary Hopkin 1970s song (written by scouser McCartney) which is constantly looking back to when we WERE a top team ... in the 50s!!??

We used to have songs about US - not the opposition. We had songs for Phil Parkes, Peter Knowles, Hughie McIlmoyle, John Richards, The Doog, Waggy and of course later Steve Bull and co. We briefly nicked a few from other clubs (just like Liverpool nicked 'You'll Never Walk Alone' from Celtic - who adopted it as THEIR anthem first) and changed a few words to fit our players.

We recently had one for Hwang, and of course Moutinho and Neves. But mostly we are restricted to just chanting sometimes name: 'Neto, Neto, Neto, Neto....' Not very imaginative.

AND WHY do we always sing things too fast for anyone to hear the words (see 'Those were the days'...) and just peter out pathetically rather than rising to a crescendo of noise?? Surely the Club could help here? Other clubs allow drum beaters, trumpeters... Couldn't we at least give a helping hand...?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Happy Wanderer was a worthy bit of nostalgia by Jack but showed just how dated he and we were in those days. Speaking of which, why on earth do we sing a pretty irrelevant Mary Hopkin 1970s song (written by scouser McCartney) which is constantly looking back to when we WERE a top team ... in the 50s!!??

We used to have songs about US - not the opposition. We had songs for Phil Parkes, Peter Knowles, Hughie McIlmoyle, John Richards, The Doog, Waggy and of course later Steve Bull and co. We briefly nicked a few from other clubs (just like Liverpool nicked 'You'll Never Walk Alone' from Celtic - who adopted it as THEIR anthem first) and changed a few words to fit our players.

We recently had one for Hwang, and of course Moutinho and Neves. But mostly we are restricted to just chanting sometimes name: 'Neto, Neto, Neto, Neto....' Not very imaginative.

AND WHY do we always sing things too fast for anyone to hear the words (see 'Those were the days'...) and just peter out pathetically rather than rising to a crescendo of noise?? Surely the Club could help here? Other clubs allow drum beaters, trumpeters... Couldn't we at least give a helping hand...?
There was a survey where fans overwhelming rejected drums etc. If they backtrack on that l, based on being far too close to the Palace ones when we played them in the U21s, want them nowhere near me. Perhaps you can sit right next to them?

For something unique though l would say that, if we do, despite my views, go down the assistance track, the Punjabi Wolves dhols would be superb.

SilverstoneWolf

Reaction score
There was a survey where fans overwhelming rejected drums etc. If they backtrack on that l, based on being far too close to the Palace ones when we played them in the U21s, want them nowhere near me. Perhaps you can sit right next to them?

For something unique though l would say that, if we do, despite my views, go down the assistance track, the Punjabi Wolves dhols would be superb.
GOOD GRIEF - NO!!!!!!

I don't want bloody drums or trumpets or... (the mindless beating of the damned things annoyed me intensely the other week - as it does EVERY week we go somewhere that allows them. Strikes me they only do it cos otherwise there is NO atmosphere generated by the home fans. I want raucous and rowdy and rabble-rousing songs that inspire the players, songs that sing THEIR names and the club's name, and that do not always have gratuitous obscenities thrown in. My mentioning help from the club was that surely THEY have access to people that could be creative and find cracking tunes that we ALL know, and set some simple words to them.

(The suggestion of Elgar - a Wolves supporter who penned some inspiring tunes - is interesting, but ANY great inspiring tune would do. Find a few WELL-KNOWN tunes. Find some wordsmiths. SIMPLE words. Memorable phrases. Get the song distributed by the club website. And we all sing. EASY!)

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GOOD GRIEF - NO!!!!!!

I don't want bloody drums or trumpets or... (the mindless beating of the damned things annoyed me intensely the other week - as it does EVERY week we go somewhere that allows them. Strikes me they only do it cos otherwise there is NO atmosphere generated by the home fans. I want raucous and rowdy and rabble-rousing songs that inspire the players, songs that sing THEIR names and the club's name, and that do not always have gratuitous obscenities thrown in. My mentioning help from the club was that surely THEY have access to people that could be creative and find cracking tunes that we ALL know, and set some simple words to them.

(The suggestion of Elgar - a Wolves supporter who penned some inspiring tunes - is interesting, but ANY great inspiring tune would do. Find a few WELL-KNOWN tunes. Find some wordsmiths. SIMPLE words. Memorable phrases. Get the song distributed by the club website. And we all sing. EASY!)
Glad to hear that l misunderstood you re the drums etc. I hate the European ultra-style singing contests too.

Re your last para it all sounds so easy lol. I still remember Jizz's ill-fated attempt at something like that. I think that these things have to be organic and develop in the fanbase not be imposed.

chignalwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
anyone remember this before the match, must have been in the 60s, memories aye,

Monkey Spanner. Dave & Ansel Collins.​

Back
Top Bottom