Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Liquidator return?!

Should the liquidator return?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lou Pine

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's the thing, it's not even a traditional Wolves song yet how many get misty eyed over it

Must be those reminders of Endsleigh League Division One midtable obscurity

Ah those were the days
The first time I did hear it though, I loved it. Whichever late 80s/early 90s match it was you could tell it was special to older supporters as it got them chanting. It definitely got more of a response than whatever had been played previously.

I just don’t remember the swearing to be that noticeable. That seemed to happen later on.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
That's the thing, it's not even a traditional Wolves song yet how many get misty eyed over it

Must be those reminders of Endsleigh League Division One midtable obscurity

Ah those were the days
The Liquidator was played many years before that. Its definitely a traditional Wolves song - all traditions start somewhere anyway.

GV Wolf

Reaction score
Despite the fact that the seventies were a bit wild, I'm sure that the "**** off West Brom" chant wasn't added until much later. Can anyone date it?!

I'm also sure that when I started going in the seventies, we actually came out to "The Happy Wanderer" :)
Albion was never really a thing until the early 90’s and bully and Thompson. For a lot of us it’s stoke. Not much was said when ally Robertson was playing for us back in the late 80’s

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Liquidator was played many years before that. Its definitely a traditional Wolves song - all traditions start somewhere anyway.
It was first played in the late 60's early 70's, when the record was current and was taken up by the crowds of a number of clubs as a chant. I don't remember the FOWB being added to it until it was revived, as a nostalgia thing, in the 80's, but the song itself and the clapping chorus was certainly traditional Wolves way before that.

jackfieldwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sad to admit it but we pinched it off Albion. Circa 1971, although it charted a few years earlier it was only popularised as a chant around 1970. Chelsea fans adopted it around the same time. I first heard at Albion at the centenary meeting at the Hawthorns, a 3-3 draw if I remember. the expletive version came in many years later during the 90s. The original chant was the synchronized clapping and the chant 'The Wolves'. Hence the expletive version was the death knell.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad to admit it but we pinched it off Albion. Circa 1971, although it charted a few years earlier it was only popularised as a chant around 1970. Chelsea fans adopted it around the same time. I first heard at Albion at the centenary meeting at the Hawthorns, a 3-3 draw if I remember. the expletive version came in many years later during the 90s. The original chant was the synchronized clapping and the chant 'The Wolves'. Hence the expletive version was the death knell.
Yes, pretty much as I recall it too. Doubt if it could be proved exactly which club adopted it first, it was just a popular tune amongst the kids who went to matches in those days, along with Judge Dread and Max Romeo etc. The synchronised clapping and "The Wolves" was the main thing. Unfortunately you cannot now disassociate the anti WBA element and the expletives from it and therefore we are unlikely to see a return to it by the club. I do however wonder, in these days of mobile devices and even portable BT speakers, if it might make an "unofficial" return someday? Can you clap and hold a smartphone at the same time?

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The first time I heard it mentioned was circa late 60's early 70's at Chelsea.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Slade and Elvis today, knew we were gonna win after hearing that.

Do the powers at be read and take on what's said on here? If so, consider the liquidator :D
Pagey, Sir, you can be my DJ.....

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I thought they were a family club
They were playing the liquidator when they got relegated from the premier league, they also played it when they finished 10th last season, they’ve played it whilst missing out again on automatic promotion it hasn’t done them much good recently

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were playing the liquidator when they got relegated from the premier league, they also played it when they finished 10th last season, they’ve played it whilst missing out again on automatic promotion it hasn’t done them much good recently
All true, but it is a great song for getting up a pre match atmosphere.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally think it’s best left in the past, it’s just nostalgia for the sake of it. Though I’d also get rid of “hi ho silver lining”. Crazy idea but how about something made in the last half a century!

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally think it’s best left in the past, it’s just nostalgia for the sake of it. Though I’d also get rid of “hi ho silver lining”. Crazy idea but how about something made in the last half a century!
I do (mainly) agree with this - the lightshow and stuff makes it more of a spectacle for younger fans, which has to be the target to sustain fans for the longer term.

But, I remember taking my two to their first game and having Hi Ho banged out - they had massive grins on their faces as they didn't know what to expect or the passion that's (often) put in to it.

Will live with me.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do (mainly) agree with this - the lightshow and stuff makes it more of a spectacle for younger fans, which has to be the target to sustain fans for the longer term.

But, I remember taking my two to their first game and having Hi Ho banged out - they had massive grins on their faces as they didn't know what to expect or the passion that's (often) put in to it.

Will live with me.
If they thought that there was passion to Hi Ho then the Liquidator would have blown their minds lol....

oldsamdingle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
How about some RAP !!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom