Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Line up for Watford

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching MOTD2 from last night and this really stood out to me...

View attachment 27106

That's Arsenal's 2 centrebacks and their defensive midfield player. And again for their second goal...

View attachment 27107

Can anyone remember even our midfielders having possession that high up the middle of the pitch?! And that's their defenders! The difference is kind of remarkable and really highlights why we offer such little threat going forward. It always feels like we're playing on a pitch twice the size of everyone else, with huge chasms of space between all of our players / lines.

As a few have said, it doesn't really matter who plays when the negative approach is so deeply entrenched.
In my opinion it all comes down to this.

Now, the Arsenal example you've highlighted is extreme as they're incredibly high up the pitch so we don't have to do it to that level, but it shows the difference.

It's as simple as this. You cannot play attacking football if you don't push up because you'll leave too many gaps and won't be able to win the ball back. You can only push up if you've got good defenders or ones that have the pace to run back.

Now we're not perfect by any means and those who complain about the midfield have valid points to a degree, those who question the strikers have valid points as well. However I believe it all comes down to the defence. Until we are willing to condense the game, to take risks and to be braver, we aren't going to get goals.

Watford are very dangerous with their pace but they are weak defensively. If he doesn't change the approach in terms of going to a back four or sticking with the three and allowing the wing-backs to play much higher now then when will he?

If Mosquera has to play as he's the only one with recovery pace, so be it. If Coady misses out, so be it.

We have been terrible to watch for a few years now on the whole and it's not right when you look at the players we have/had. As you say, the negative approach is entrenched and Lage was supposed to change that. I'm hoping the anger he has shown in recent days means he is ready to take a **** it approach.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa made an error and Ruddy is good back up like I said I’d ring the changes and send a clear message
I like Ruddy, he's far from perfect but he's good enough back uo for us. No way I'd drop Sa though as that sends completely the wrong 'message': you can play out of your skin all season, perform well, show passion but make a mistake and you're out.

I would bring Cundle in again, and Raul must start for me as even off form he's far ahead of our other options there in holding the ball up. RAN back too. Personally, for now, I wouldn't start both Pod and Neto. I know we all want to see more creativity but that needs to be built on solid foundations, not chucking on all our wingers!

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the one hand you're right.
On the other we switched to 4 at the back at WHU (when Marcal went off) and against Palace (when Kilman was subbed) and we still failed to create any clear-cut scoring opportunities in either match. Reminiscent of the first 3 games of the season when we had loads of possession and loads of shots, most of which were off target. We have a serious problem...
yeh i get that too. formation but more so mentality possibly

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching MOTD2 from last night and this really stood out to me...

View attachment 27106

That's Arsenal's 2 centrebacks and their defensive midfield player. And again for their second goal...

View attachment 27107

Can anyone remember even our midfielders having possession that high up the middle of the pitch?! And that's their defenders! The difference is kind of remarkable and really highlights why we offer such little threat going forward. It always feels like we're playing on a pitch twice the size of everyone else, with huge chasms of space between all of our players / lines.

As a few have said, it doesn't really matter who plays when the negative approach is so deeply entrenched.
Our centre backs are a 5 iron behind that

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Frankly Lage ****ed up and is looking for someone to blame. I still think that dressing room loss is imminent if not already well underway.
See what Thursday brings the reaction is going to be interesting. Either stand up and be counted or we will see more utter dross

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A win would be possible and make everything look better.
A loss , and we are in for a tough period on here.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And breathe.

Agreed - win and we’re not top 4 - lose and we’re not going down.

A week last Thursday after 81 mins we were 5th and looking favourites for top 4.

We are not a top 4 side. Others have flattered to lose.

The last 3 games have been shattering - as much due to selection and performance or lack of - but Leicester we were also poor and lucky for the win.

Progress for me is bedding back in Neto and Jonny, seeing Silva score a few and Raul coming back strong. Top half finish and a positive end to take into 2022.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On here is irrelevant tbh, it's the possibility of being caught by Soton, Palace, Villa and Leicester that would **** me off. Instead of fighting for Europe we could end up pretty much where we finished last season. Thinking on though we are more a mid-table team than a top 7 team tbh. It may well end up Lage does little better than Nuno last season, both in points and performances. Hugely disappointing if so.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
On here is irrelevant tbh, it's the possibility of being caught by Soton, Palace, Villa and Leicester that would **** me off. Instead of fighting for Europe we could end up pretty much where we finished last season. Thinking on though we are more a mid-table team than a top 7 team tbh. It may well end up Lage does little better than Nuno last season, both in points and performances. Hugely disappointing if so.
Well on the plus side we're only 5 points behind last season's total, so let's say we'll beat that and our real target with 11 games to go should be to beat the 59 best PL total, although that is a big ask now.

Whatever happens though it's turned out that Lage is a safe pair of hands, who can organise a side, but the famed attacking football has never really materialised.

As with Nuno last year I sympathise that injuries haven't helped and he's judged a back 4 not suit the squad. To expect him to change the style with the same players was unrealistic.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

In my opinion it all comes down to this.

Now, the Arsenal example you've highlighted is extreme as they're incredibly high up the pitch so we don't have to do it to that level, but it shows the difference.

It's as simple as this. You cannot play attacking football if you don't push up because you'll leave too many gaps and won't be able to win the ball back. You can only push up if you've got good defenders or ones that have the pace to run back.

Now we're not perfect by any means and those who complain about the midfield have valid points to a degree, those who question the strikers have valid points as well. However I believe it all comes down to the defence. Until we are willing to condense the game, to take risks and to be braver, we aren't going to get goals.

Watford are very dangerous with their pace but they are weak defensively. If he doesn't change the approach in terms of going to a back four or sticking with the three and allowing the wing-backs to play much higher now then when will he?

If Mosquera has to play as he's the only one with recovery pace, so be it. If Coady misses out, so be it.

We have been terrible to watch for a few years now on the whole and it's not right when you look at the players we have/had. As you say, the negative approach is entrenched and Lage was supposed to change that. I'm hoping the anger he has shown in recent days means he is ready to take a **** it approach.
City don't have quick CBs but play very high because their press is so amazing. You don't need fast CBs, but yeah it helps a lot

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking some of these teams, Boly hasn’t played all season, Jonny and Neto need carefully looking after, Raul has struggled badly, Fabio is a big question mark, we havnt played a back 4 all season, Iv seen Dendoncker picked in a 2 man midfield, a hugely out of form Kilman in a 2, Chiqhino couldn’t be any more raw…

Just brings home to me how average the squad is, how difficult a job Lage has and how poor the recruitment has been for 2/3 years.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking some of these teams, Boly hasn’t played all season, Jonny and Neto need carefully looking after, Raul has struggled badly, Fabio is a big question mark, we havnt played a back 4 all season, Iv seen Dendoncker picked in a 2 man midfield, a hugely out of form Kilman in a 2, Chiqhino couldn’t be any more raw…

Just brings home to me how average the squad is, how difficult a job Lage has and how poor the recruitment has been for 2/3 years.
Yep - and shows what a good job he’s done to get results

Our best players are our attackers though, so let’s get as many of them on the pitch at once and start creating chances for them ffs.

If we concede 3 so be it, let’s try score 4

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id be looking at cashing in Raul to the MLS. They'll pay top cash for him.
The MLS would be nothing more than a modest fee for us, they’d probably pay Raul well though.

I don’t think an MLS club has ever paid more than £10m for a player.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would go three in midfield. Need more control in this area. Neto is not ready to start yet.Anyone could see that.
Front two podence with either Raul or Silva.
I think I keep it the same at the back for one more game but Ait Nouri has to start as Wing back.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are people giving up on and looking to get rid of Raul?! He's struggling for goals, like the rest of the team, but he has still scored or assisted 1/3 of our goals this season (5 goals, 3 assists).

Rhyl Wolf

Reaction score
The 'football fixture Gods' couldn't have handpicked 3 worst upcoming opponents. Hope we have the mental aptitude to scrap with clubs battling for PL survival. Will surely show where this squad stands. Don't envy Bruno's selection dilemmas.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are people giving up on and looking to get rid of Raul?! He's struggling for goals, like the rest of the team, but he has still scored or assisted 1/3 of our goals this season (5 goals, 3 assists).

We need to change the system to create chances for him

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Play 11 fans, 5 on the bench

Charge the starters £10,000 each
The subs £1000 each

Donate the £115,000 raised to Ukraine

I doubt any XI Wolves put out tomorrow will do anything more productive than this

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Play 11 fans, 5 on the bench

Charge the starters £10,000 each
The subs £1000 each

Donate the £115,000 raised to Ukraine

I doubt any XI Wolves put out tomorrow will do anything more productive than this
Tomorrow?

Wolf in Wednesbury

Reaction score
—————Sa—————
——Kilman Coady Saiss——
Jonny———————-RAN
——Donk—Neves—Joao—-
———-Raul —- Silva ——-

No idea if Jonny can play from start but got no one else, Boly not played all season so can’t just throw him in … Toti maybe if he wants to change it? Neto looked nowhere near fit to start on Saturday but has done ok when came on last 20 mins or so. Podence good against Leicester but not much since (like most) but like to See Fabio given a chance alongside Raul

If we went 4 at the back I think we’d concede at least 2 … not saying we won’t with a 5 … but don’t think we’ve got the players who are match fit to play a 4

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sorry, but some of those points have to be pushed back to the manager.
Why haven't we played a back 4 all season? Not even against Norwich(0-0) or when Saiss was away for the African Cup of nations.
We barely score. I'm not sure how much i rate him, but imagine if we hadn't got Hwang in. Another 4 off the tally.
He is lucky that we signed Sa, otherwise this season would have been a complete write off.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, but some of those points have to be pushed back to the manager.
Why haven't we played a back 4 all season? Not even against Norwich(0-0) or when Saiss was away for the African Cup of nations.
We barely score. I'm not sure how much i rate him, but imagine if we hadn't got Hwang in. Another 4 off the tally.
He is lucky that we signed Sa, otherwise this season would have been a complete write off.
Done to death. Nuno tried a back 4 with this squad, it failed miserably. Bruno looked at it in pre season and realised the same.

If it was my highly paid job on the line I’d do exactly the same. This squad would get battered if it was more open. Our current manager knows it and our previous manger knew it.

I know we barely score, it irritates me to.
70 goals in our last 75 league games. It’s feeble and entertainment wise it’s **** poor. For me it’s 100% down to the recruitment model of the last 2-3 years.

Back
Top Bottom