Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Line up for Watford

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After that dreadful showing against Palace will be interesting to see what people think we should do for this one...

We really need to change the way we go forward as we are not creating anywhere near enough in games and something has to change! I don't think Bruno Lage will move away from the five at the back but I've been saying for a few weeks now I'd like to see both Jimenez and Silva start a few games together and see if we can get better link up play and more of a threat in the box!

What i'd go with:

-------------------------Sa-----------------------
------------Kilman----Coady-----Boly------------
-Jonny-----------------------------------Ait-Nouri-
-------------Neves----------Moutinho-------------
--------------------Podence-----------------------
------------Jimenez----------Silva-----------------

Subs: Ruddy, Gomes, Saiss, Marcal, Cundle, Dendoncker, Chiquinho, Hwang, Neto,

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Boly Coady Gomes
Jonny Neves Moutinho Dendoncker Ait-Nouri
Podence Raul​
I’d be happy with this.

Watford are fighting for their lives and have the attacking pace and power to really hurt us. I’ll happily take a scrappy 1-0 right now.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A pillow and maybe a hot chocolate.

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've watched Watford, Leeds and Everton in the last week & thought all of them have the pace, athleticism and commitment to trouble us.

For me, we're now starting pre-season for next season & we simply have to score more goals. @KBWWFC got dog's abuse on this forum for suggesting we'd been lucky after the Leicester game but he's been proved 100% right.

So welcome to 22/23 pre-season & playing how Bruno really wants to play.

Sa

Jonny - Coady - Saiss or Boly - RAN (Kilman surely needs a break)
Neves - Dendoncker (who I think will still be here next season)
Chiquinho - Podence - Neto
Raul

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa

Johnny
Boly
Mosquera or Gomes
Ran

Neves
Moutinho

Chiquinho
Podence
Neto

Raul/silva

May as well start prepping some players and see if they are able to cut it ready for next season. If not, we know where the work/purchases/loans are needed.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching back, Kilman's first half display was one of the single worst I've seen yesterday. It really was atrocious.

Obviously we know why that might be case but don't want to guess.

Either way though, he needs taking out the team because he's struggled a lot more recently (Spurs aside) and was awful against Palace.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
anyone who advocates us playing 5 at the back against one of the worst teams in the league needs to reevaluate IMO. we need to move away from this formation, its restrictive and has been worked out

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No to Jonny he looks nowhere near being ready. Can't run tackle and lost his touch. Got to be ballsy here.

Sa
Kilman Coady Saiss
Chiquinho Donk Neves Moutino RAN
Raul Silva

No rb options so let's play a winger with Donk in for extra cover. Ran back into the team and try Two upfront of Silva and Raul. Raul can then drop deeper and be the target man and let's see what Silva can do off him.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa

Jonny
Killman
Coady
Gomes
Ran

Moutinho
Neves

Neto
Silva
Podence

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa

Jonny Kilman Coady Ait-Nouri

Neves Moutinho

Neto Podence

Raúl Silva
Looks narrow but I'd have Neto and Podence fairly wide

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would also like to see Mosquera played as the wide right defender, either FB or WB.

Don't want to risk Jonny for too many minutes only 4days after an 80-minute game.

Also time to get Raul some close support - Silva or Hwang.

3 5 2 for me.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman was poor yesterday, I can fully understand if his heads not with it, but he shouldn’t be near the team if that’s the case.

Jonny, I thought did okay, was positive and tried to get forward, not sure he’s got 2 more lots of 90 mins in him in the next week though.

The front 3 didn’t work, which I won’t knock Lage for as I was intrigued by it before the game.

I feel we need a 3rd player in midfield, but if that means 3-5-2 with 2 defensive wingbacks then the front 2 will be isolated and we’ll lose. So we either need to go attacking with our wingbacks, or to a back 4.

I don’t really know what XI to suggest to be honest, I just know that whichever team gets put out they’ve got to be a million times better than they have been the past 2 games. We need to be far more positive and control the game. But front foot control the game, not 60% possession passing it around the back with no attacking threat control the game.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kilman was poor yesterday, I can fully understand if his heads not with it, but he shouldn’t be near the team if that’s the case.

Jonny, I thought did okay, was positive and tried to get forward, not sure he’s got 2 more lots of 90 mins in him in the next week though.

The front 3 didn’t work, which I won’t knock Lage for as I was intrigued by it before the game.

I feel we need a 3rd player in midfield, but if that means 3-5-2 with 2 defensive wingbacks then the front 2 will be isolated and we’ll lose. So we either need to go attacking with our wingbacks, or to a back 4.

I don’t really know what XI to suggest to be honest, I just know that whichever team gets put out they’ve got to be a million times better than they have been the past 2 games. We need to be far more positive and control the game. But front foot control the game, not 60% possession passing it around the back with no attacking threat control the game.

Another game where our midfield issues come home to roost. Nothing going forward and out to the wings to players that are not wingers.

We are incapable of playing a pass through the middle yet we have layers playing off the last man.

Disjointed and we’d lost the moment that team was announced.

We must play with a central striker and we must play with attacking wing back if we are to play that formation.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa
Jonny
Boly or Kilman
Coady
Gomes
Alt Nouri
Neves
Moutinho
Podence
Raul
Neto

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
———Sa———
Kilman Coady Saiss
Jonny Neves Moutinho RAN
Chiquinho Raul Neto

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure Jonny is fit enough to start, maybe throw in the U18 guy - is it Lembikisa?

Would love to see Raul with either Hwang or Fabio alongside him with Podence or Neto just a little deeper behind them

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Sa
Boly Coady Gomes
Jonny Neves Moutinho Dendoncker Ait-Nouri
Podence Raul​

Yup - although I'd have Silva instead of Podence. We're not going to qualify for Europe; we're not going to get relegated - give him the game time he desperately needs.

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Formation - 4-1-4-1

Sa

RAN
Coady
Boly
Jonny (as much as possible)

Cundle (Holding 1)

Neto
Neves
Donk
Chiquino

Raul

Try something a little different

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
I would go 4-4-2, we have looked OK when playing it. Albeit we only play it when we're losing.

Jonny Coady Saiss Nouri
Chiquinho Neves Donk Neto
Silva Raul

Raul as a 9 and Silva as a 10, where I believe he is best. No matter what we play it's all about intensity.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back 4 time,and Coady ( at fault yet again yesterday) can't defend in a back 4 ...
Sa
Marcel kilman boly RAN
Cundle neves mouthinio
Podence Jimenez

Last edited:

Alienwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hope Bruno learns from the previous Thursday - Sunday selections, in which he effectively conceded the match against West Ham. There’s no way that Neto or Jonny will be able to start both, which leaves him with a particular quandary at RB/WB. We can probably add Moutinho into that category as well.
Please don’t let us get bullied by Sissoko & Dennis, because generally there’s a good reason why Watford are in the bottom 3.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
One of my (many) worries is that I'd like to start Jonny and Neto, but you'd imagine neither might have 90mins in them,so the options to change it are limited. I think that was a big issue with Hoever yesterday, it forced Lage into using Jonny earlier than he wanted to and limited his options as he knew he'd have to take Neto off.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm amazed anyone would go for the same formation, particularly without Semedo and particularly against a side in the relegation zone. All it would take is a Watford goal and we may as well all go home.

Surely now is the absolutely ideal time to try something different? It's not too often you're in early March with virtually complete freedom in terms of not having anything to play for, realistically anyway.

If we really are incapable of playing a back 4 then we need to have a connection between midfield and attack. Podence is probably the best answer in that regard. Then play two up top - Jimenez and Neto. That would hopefully prevent front players being isolated and give us more numbers in terms of getting into the box.

The same formation as yesterday and Watford's 7/2 odds are looking very generous.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would go 4-4-2, we have looked OK when playing it. Albeit we only play it when we're losing.

Jonny Coady Saiss Nouri
Chiquinho Neves Donk Neto
Silva Raul

Raul as a 9 and Silva as a 10, where I believe he is best. No matter what we play it's all about intensity.

I'd really like to see this.

I don't know why football has become a sport obsessed with negative tactics. To the point where a standard 442 is treated like it's gung ho.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I'd really like to see this.

I don't know why football has become a sport obsessed with negative tactics. To the point where a standard 442 is treated like it's gung ho.
Standard 4 4 2 is generally one of the more defensive formations. Burnley play it all the time.

Formation doesn't matter as much as how players are asked to play in that formation.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Makes no difference actually as we usually give struggling teams a leg up and a free 3 points…
Watford won’t roll over and have some strong players. We know our back line doesn’t cope very well with pace or strength. They like playing against teams that try to unpick the defence, like Man Utd and spurs.
Can’t wait…

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We'll keep it tight and try to make them make mistakes, which they could well do as they are ****. Won't be a fun watch

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We'll keep it tight and try to make them make mistakes, which they could well do as they are ****. Won't be a fun watch
Think they have some talent going forwards though, doubt we'll keep them out defending like yesterday. I don't fancy us to beat anyone after the last few games.

zedkiel60

Groupie
Reaction score
.....................Sa......................
....Kilman...Coady..,Gomes
Chiquino..Neves. Cundle....Ran
............. Podence.........
...........Jimenez..Silva...........

Back
Top Bottom