Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lets discuss Fabio and his future .

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone willing to do the research and name and shame those that couldn’t stop spouting negativity about this lad over the last few years..?
I'm proud to say I wasn't one of them.
I'm a full on Fabio fanboy, and have been since he signed.
You could see from the outset that he had something about him, albeit he was a bit raw and naive.
The price tag didn't help the lad though.
For that money, at the time, many expected the finished article.
He's still far from the finished article, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, that boy is gonna be a baller!!!

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a valuation perspective, surely it's worth taking a punt that he impresses in the Prem this year. Then he's worth a lot more than what we'd get now.

So then it comes down to whether we really do need the money now, and whether the lad actually is happy to stay here and have a shot at making his name in the Prem. Starting with Man Utd.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone willing to do the research and name and shame those that couldn’t stop spouting negativity about this lad over the last few years..?

Most of the negativity was about the price more than anything and zero doubt we have paid the price for such a daft signing for where we were at, regardless of how good he becomes.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will eat humble pie....
But I will also say "Told You so".

Hated the expenditure 3 seasons ago. I really hated it and by association couldn't help look down on the blameless kid himself.
However, I've been supporting and praising him all the last season, mainly due to the fact that I actually bothered to watch him play whenever I could snag a stream, whether it was with Anderlecht or PSV.
And it was obvious even to the meanest spirited but objective viewer that he had:
1. Bulked up immensely.
2. Put a shift in.
3. Discovered that he could use his head playing football, in the figurative AND physical sense.
4. Discovered that, actually, he's not slow at all. The build up of muscle actually unleashed an athlete.
5. He is NOT stupid.

And therein I rest my case.
Simultaneous shame AND gloating.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like he's added another dimension to his game. Previously his best attribute was his movement in the penalty area, now it's his link up play and intelligence on the ball

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm proud to say I wasn't one of them.
I'm a full on Fabio fanboy, and have been since he signed.
You could see from the outset that he had something about him, albeit he was a bit raw and naive.
The price tag didn't help the lad though.
For that money, at the time, many expected the finished article.
He's still far from the finished article, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, that boy is gonna be a baller!!!
What stood out for from the first time I saw him vs Arsenal after Raul’s injury was the movement. He finds space very easily and in places where the ball arrives. That’s something you can’t coach easily.

For so many reasons Lage was a diabolical appointment but perhaps his greatest sin was his treatment of Silva. As other have said he was great vs Villa but was dropped. He was pulled off at half time when we were being hammered by Brighton and we couldn’t pass water let alone to Silva who ran tirelessly up front. He also played well in the cup games but was dropped for the league. If he hadn’t ****ed him about maybe we would have had Silva last year and maybe we would have looked better. The damage that Lage did Is incredible. Having a said that I hope we benefit from his year out on loan

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What stood out for from the first time I saw him vs Arsenal after Raul’s injury was the movement. He finds space very easily and in places where the ball arrives. That’s something you can’t coach easily.

For so many reasons Lage was a diabolical appointment but perhaps his greatest sin was his treatment of Silva. As other have said he was great vs Villa but was dropped. He was pulled off at half time when we were being hammered by Brighton and we couldn’t pass water let alone to Silva who ran tirelessly up front. He also played well in the cup games but was dropped for the league. If he hadn’t ****ed him about maybe we would have had Silva last year and maybe we would have looked better. The damage that Lage did Is incredible. Having a said that I hope we benefit from his year out on loan

Considering Lage's record with Benfica youth and his brother playing a big role in Silva's early development, absolute **** poor from them with regards to managing our young players.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most of the negativity was about the price more than anything and zero doubt we have paid the price for such a daft signing for where we were at, regardless of how good he becomes.
I disagree. At first it was the price but since his loan moves, we’ve paid out a lot of money for others and had a relegation scrap last season. So unfortunately, Silva has been the poster boy for everything that people see going wrong. I’ve noticed over the past year to eighteen months, criticism of Fosun and therefore Fabio, has become more vitriolic and nasty. On the flip side though, as I appreciate Fosun being our owners and have always believed Fabio will come good (I still don’t think he’s the finished article, yet), it’s made me entrench more in my position.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The time has come for him to take his next step with us. He is looking a lot better and has always been a decent 'footballer' who can link up play and increasingly hold the ball up. He needs to work hard on his aerial game which remains relatively weak. He alongside Cunha or Kaladjzic could work well for us given time and encouragement. In the current transfer market desert we have to back these players to do a decent job for us. If he scores say 8 goals this season his value will also go right up. So there is no way it makes sense to sell him now. We could never afford better and have already missed out on at least three possible good striker candidates.

MDWolf

Reaction score
For me the forwards are simple. Cunha or Hwang or Neto alongside Sasa or Silva.

Silva and Sasa don't work together in the same way Neto and Cunha don't work together. Goals from a forward pairing is about the partnership more than one player's ability.

My HOPE this season is Cunha and Silva end up the new Bull and Mutch. Because that's our only hope.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He was certainly enjoying the support he got from the crowd so I would really hope so.
Did the Molineux back him well? I remember a cup game he played well in at the Mol and everyone was loving him. I hope that support makes him feel a bit better, we're all human.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me the forwards are simple. Cunha or Hwang or Neto alongside Sasa or Silva.

Silva and Sasa don't work together in the same way Neto and Cunha don't work together. Goals from a forward pairing is about the partnership more than one player's ability.

My HOPE this season is Cunha and Silva end up the new Bull and Mutch. Because that's our only hope.
Silva and Sasa worked well together last night

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was one of those who defended him from day 1 on a couple of grounds: (a) you could see some quality movement in a scrawny 18yo, and (b) he was a scrawny 18.

That doesn't make me or the fellow 'defenders' some sort of super-coach, merely Mixers who said 'give him time and space'.

Nor am I (we) now arguing that Fabiolous is the greatest striker since sliced Messi. Just acknowledging how much he's developed as a forward, whilst at the same time recognising he has some way to go yet.

There are one or two on here who still seem to have written the lad off, and who seem to hold that opinion. Here's hoping they'll look afresh at the lad - for that's what he still is in footballing terms.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite sure what happened to him at the u21s tournament in the summer but thankfully his couple of games back here seem to resemble more of his loan spells than that.

He looks a far more rounded player now rather than the clever poacher he looked likely to become.

Can drop in link up the play whether that's a couple of nice touches in congested areas or find a yard of space to thread through a pass (something I can see Neto really enjoying scampering after) but also shown pace and strength to run in behind with an ability to carry the ball over a distance.

He doesn't have the aerial ability of Raul but there in the limited sample there's been glimpses of that all-round striker play of our last great no. 9.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not quite sure what happened to him at the u21s tournament in the summer but thankfully his couple of games back here seem to resemble more of his loan spells than that.

He looks a far more rounded player now rather than the clever poacher he looked likely to become.

Can drop in link up the play whether that's a couple of nice touches in congested areas or find a yard of space to thread through a pass (something I can see Neto really enjoying scampering after) but also shown pace and strength to run in behind with an ability to carry the ball over a distance.

He doesn't have the aerial ability of Raul but there in the limited sample there's been glimpses of that all-round striker play of our last great no. 9.
Whilst he doesn't have the aerial ability of Raul from an offensive point of view he won quite a few defensive headers yesterday so that part of his game seems to be improving too

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A goal away at Old Trafford and he will be the new John Richards for me!!!!

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And the revisionism begins!!

Nothing revisionist about it. We were on the verge of breaking the top six after back to back seasons in 7th. We then decided to spunk a large part of our summer spend on a project and neglected the first team which was short in certain areas. That 35 million could easily have put us into the top six if spent well. And now here we are three years later still nowhere near those highs.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
Interesting comment from a Porto fan in 2020....

Big Porto fan here and to the Wolves supporters : Although Fabio has the talent, he still lacks the strength and burst to succeed immediately in the EPL. In my opinion, he is still 2 to 3 years away from making a true impact at your club. Be patient with the boy and lock him in the weight room, feed him protein shakes and you have yourself a world talent within the next few years. All the best to Fabio and good luck this year Wolves!

The time is now!

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said persistently he wasn't good enough. And do you know what, I kind of still stand by that, I'm not going to hide from that view either.

I don't think anyone should let a couple of sub appearances and 15 or so goals across two pretty mediocre leagues, let that deflect from the reality - the reality being it is not fair on him or the club to weigh our hopes on him being our main number 9 going into next season.

Some balance is needed here.

Having said that, he has impressed me in the glimpses over preseason and him along with Sasa look good options to have.

The club still need a quality CF though. We know that as FACT. We have needed that for god knows how long and we cannot keep allowing ourselves to get away with it - we need someone that we know can hit the ground running and what's more - Silva can both feed off and learn from that.

PM Wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
I said persistently he wasn't good enough. And do you know what, I kind of still stand by that, I'm not going to hide from that view either.

I don't think anyone should let a couple of sub appearances and 15 or so goals across two pretty mediocre leagues, let that deflect from the reality - the reality being it is not fair on him or the club to weigh our hopes on him being our main number 9 going into next season.

Some balance is needed here.

Having said that, he has impressed me in the glimpses over preseason and him along with Sasa look good options to have.

The club still need a quality CF though. We know that as FACT. We have needed that for god knows how long and we cannot keep allowing ourselves to get away with it - we need someone that we know can hit the ground running and what's more - Silva can both feed off and learn from that.
Great comment, but. I hand on heart think Fab can become a cult hero, but. He needs to score early, if he does and he feels that love he will get 10+ goals I'm sure, it's all about those first 5 games, if he bags a couple, this season for us and him could be much much better than we expect given the current situation..

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great comment, but. I hand on heart think Fab can become a cult hero, but. He needs to score early, if he does and he feels that love he will get 10+ goals I'm sure, it's all about those first 5 games, if he bags a couple, this season for us and him could be much much better than we expect given the current situation..
If he gets those types of figures to spearhead our attack, he can have my heart for all I care

But I think we need to be wary of not letting our heart rule our head on this one. He is a likeable kid but much like Raul before him (post injury) then Diego Costa to a point, who we all really liked too - we knew they just was not up to it, sentiment got in the way. I still find it staggering we didn't sign a CF in Jan. To think we pass another window without doing so is ridiculous really.

Not saying Fabio isn't "up to it" by the way. But the point I am making is, right now, we do not know whether he is or not.

A risk worth taking? Not for me, particular when in the last 3 years our goal output particularly from CFs is one that is staggering in itself that we remain a PL outfit. We won't keep on getting away with it imo.

PM Wolves

Groupie
Reaction score
If he gets those types of figures to spearhead our attack, he can have my heart for all I care

But I think we need to be wary of not letting our heart rule our head on this one. He is a likeable kid but much like Raul before him (post injury) then Diego Costa to a point, who we all really liked too - we knew they just was not up to it, sentiment got in the way. I still find it staggering we didn't sign a CF in Jan. To think we pass another window without doing so is ridiculous really.

Not saying Fabio isn't "up to it" by the way. But the point I am making is, right now, we do not know whether he is or not.

A risk worth taking? Not for me, particular when in the last 3 years our goal output particularly from CFs is one that is staggering in itself that we remain a PL outfit. We won't keep on getting away with it imo.
Fair comment, I am judging by what I see with my eyes in terms of work rate, movement and intelligence. He will come good, he is a class player, will need a goal or two in his first few games to make sure he has the support from the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom