Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lets discuss Fabio and his future .

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Hugging players made you sick to your stomach?
God it must be bliss to live in Norway if that is the level of action that makes you sick to your stomach
Good lord.
A bit too much long hair and men with a feminine side to my liking here also actually.

Have learned to live with it.

It's a free country.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The hugging the player who stopped him running towards goals was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen on a pitch. In fact, I've never seen anything like that in the same context before. Someone took you out, a professional foul, and the fouled player went out their way to hug the person. The Ipswich defender wasn't even bothered about apologising - and nor should he be.

It was bizarre. I don't know if we should look further into it, but it certainly doesn't look good. It didn't look like a player desperate to win.

If it had happened in a Premier League TV game then Fabio would have been a laughing stock.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am going to try my best to be as nice as possible here, because for some unbeknown reason, we seem to have fans and posters on here in particular who do not take well to a £35m signing getting criticism, 3 years into his 4 goal career at this club.

No two ways about it, his behaviour against Ipswich was odd and cringe. But that's besides the point. It did make me angry at the time, but lets not detract it from the facts. The bigger picture is that quite simply, he is not good enough for this level of football. I am not even sure if he is good enough to play in this country, full stop. He does not have the speed, both psychically and mentally, nor the intensity, again physically and mentally to be anything near close to what is required for the English game. On Tuesday against Championship defenders he was outthought, out muscled and looked completely out of his depth against a reserve backline in a league lower than ours.

And that should not be a massive criticism, per se- i mean it should be given the fee, (but then we have been told enough to ignore the fee that i am actually starting to ignore the fee ffs.. :rolleyes:)
Take Pablo Sarabia. I think he actually has a similar issue. This is a guy who unlike Silva, has actually played and most importantly proved it at the highest level. PSG, Sevilla, Real Madrid. National side. Yet I don't think anyone can tell me there is a guy who has it for us. On Tuesday against a Championship side he looked equally out of his depth as Silva did. Sure, there are glimpses of quality and has been since he arrived, but he looks largely anonymous and imo that is down to the fact that quite simply, he cannot adjust his game to the intensity of the Premier League.

Unfortunately, we are now where we are with Fabio. We are stuck with him. We had a chance in the summer it seems, to sell him. Perhaps we could have got somewhere between £15m-20m for him and at the time, I said snap your hand off and got ridiculed. If we polled the question of would we take somewhere between that figure now, only the minority who would say no would be plain deluded imo. Another issue with this whole circus is he was clearly a Jeff Shi signing. I think Fabio Silva in one snapshot sums up the utter incompetence and reign of Jeff Shi since he effectively has ran the show since 2019ish, the same man who wasted that money on Fabio Silva and then sacked Nuno 12 months later because he would not back him. It would be a massive loss of face to Jeff Shi to sell him now for what he is worth, which would be a pittance to what we paid - frankly I think Shi is too much up his **** and a coward to do that.

Taking the negatives and looking for some positives - is there a role for him in this team? Due to our current predicament - there probably is. The one pro I will give him is he does seem to have the "knack" of getting on the end of chances. Right place at right time. Even if he misses. This was evident in his cameo at Utd (I was actually optimistic that just maybe, the touted potential we was about to see after that game) and he had what felt like a dozen of chances at Everton/Brighton. For me he is someone we need to bring on to look to make an impact. There is not a cat in hells chance he has the character or quality to pull off being our number 9 right now - so keep him for 10-15min cameos when we are chasing a goal, hope that one of those chances finds the net. Then please for the love of god Wolves, sign a competent centre forward or two in January.

If you don't like that prospect Fabio, then off you pop - because I would put any money on with any person right now that being on the bench for Wolverhampton Wanderers in 17th position in the Premier League is the best that man will ever do in his football career.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am going to try my best to be as nice as possible here, because for some unbeknown reason, we seem to have fans and posters on here in particular who do not take well to a £35m signing getting criticism, 3 years into his 4 goal career at this club.

No two ways about it, his behaviour against Ipswich was odd and cringe. But that's besides the point. It did make me angry at the time, but lets not detract it from the facts. The bigger picture is that quite simply, he is not good enough for this level of football. I am not even sure if he is good enough to play in this country, full stop. He does not have the speed, both psychically and mentally, nor the intensity, again physically and mentally to be anything near close to what is required for the English game. On Tuesday against Championship defenders he was outthought, out muscled and looked completely out of his depth against a reserve backline in a league lower than ours.

And that should not be a massive criticism, per se- i mean it should be given the fee, (but then we have been told enough to ignore the fee that i am actually starting to ignore the fee ffs.. :rolleyes:)
Take Pablo Sarabia. I think he actually has a similar issue. This is a guy who unlike Silva, has actually played and most importantly proved it at the highest level. PSG, Sevilla, Real Madrid. National side. Yet I don't think anyone can tell me there is a guy who has it for us. On Tuesday against a Championship side he looked equally out of his depth as Silva did. Sure, there are glimpses of quality and has been since he arrived, but he looks largely anonymous and imo that is down to the fact that quite simply, he cannot adjust his game to the intensity of the Premier League.

Unfortunately, we are now where we are with Fabio. We are stuck with him. We had a chance in the summer it seems, to sell him. Perhaps we could have got somewhere between £15m-20m for him and at the time, I said snap your hand off and got ridiculed. If we polled the question of would we take somewhere between that figure now, only the minority who would say no would be plain deluded imo. Another issue with this whole circus is he was clearly a Jeff Shi signing. I think Fabio Silva in one snapshot sums up the utter incompetence and reign of Jeff Shi since he effectively has ran the show since 2019ish, the same man who wasted that money on Fabio Silva and then sacked Nuno 12 months later because he would not back him. It would be a massive loss of face to Jeff Shi to sell him now for what he is worth, which would be a pittance to what we paid - frankly I think Shi is too much up his **** and a coward to do that.

Taking the negatives and looking for some positives - is there a role for him in this team? Due to our current predicament - there probably is. The one pro I will give him is he does seem to have the "knack" of getting on the end of chances. Right place at right time. Even if he misses. This was evident in his cameo at Utd (I was actually optimistic that just maybe, the touted potential we was about to see after that game) and he had what felt like a dozen of chances at Everton/Brighton. For me he is someone we need to bring on to look to make an impact. There is not a cat in hells chance he has the character or quality to pull off being our number 9 right now - so keep him for 10-15min cameos when we are chasing a goal, hope that one of those chances finds the net. Then please for the love of god Wolves, sign a competent centre forward or two in January.

If you don't like that prospect Fabio, then off you pop - because I would put any money on with any person right now that being on the bench for Wolverhampton Wanderers in 17th position in the Premier League is the best that man will ever do in his football career.
You mention, Real Madrid, PSG, Sevilla....it's odd that most PL teams wouldn't beat those three on a one off basis let alone a regular basis and only three or four could beat RM and PSG. Yet when it comes to playing in the PL regularly a lot of the players struggle.

It's not easy coming into a struggling team that finds it even harder to create and score goals. Silva was handled badly and he didn't want to return to Wolves. The way we play means strikers are often isolated and have to go grafting for the ball or hope for pin point accuracy. It also means that our strikers have to have a very high goals to chances ratio. This wouldn't be too much of an issue for players like Harry Kane and Haaland but for our strikers it is a massive ask.

I think Silva looks shot to be honest. Cunha's comically bad miss v Liverpool looked humiliating for a £40m Brazilian international who was Lopetegui's choice of striker. I wonder if he is still replaying that miss in his mind which has since effected his performances? And Sasa is obviously not fit.

Apart from the even more comically incompetent planning our so called recruitment department, Silva still has a high level of expectation attached to him which I don't think he can handle in the PL. I can see him disappearing into obscurity if he stays at Wolves.

On a side note, I know a lot of folk want GON fired out of the nearest cannon but I do have sympathies with what he has inherited with our 'forward' line. Fortunately, Neto seems to have hit form and Hwang has so far at least found his scoring boots.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’m not sure that last paragraph is right. He scored goals in the Europa league last season. If his career finished tomorrow I’d say that’s more of an achievement than being on a clubs finishing 17th bench.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread is becoming a joke. He puts himself about as much as anyone but just because he shows a bit of professionalism in helping someone up he is hounded for not being Stuart Pearce. He’s struggling like the majority of the team atm but he’s being singled out because his hair is a bit longer.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread is becoming a joke. He puts himself about as much as anyone but just because he shows a bit of professionalism in helping someone up he is hounded for not being Stuart Pearce. He’s struggling like the majority of the team atm but he’s being singled out because his hair is a bit longer.
Yeah but that hair makes him less of a man apparently.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe there are not that many. We don’t know.
Unlikely that there are none though isn't it? Which suggests a reluctance to be open about such things, perhaps because of the predominant culture amongst supporters and in dressing rooms. That is what I meant by too many men in the game holding views that equate particular "masculine" behaviours and stereotypes with what it is to be a professional sportsman. The length of a person's hair, their way of speech, the way they choose to dress off the field, have nothing to do with aggression in the context of the game.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
There’s unlikely to be none, when you see comments like man up or be more manly and complaining about haircuts it’s unsurprising that gay footballers would be uncomfortable about coming out.
How has this got to potential gay fotballers, I thought that this was about that some of us think that Fabio needs a change of approach and jokingly said that maybe a more masculine hair style might be a good start.

Are you insinuating that gay people consider themselves to be less masculine?

Thats alan border.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
How has this got to potential gay fotballers, I thought that this was about that some of us think that Fabio needs a change of approach and jokingly said that maybe a more masculine hair style might be a good start.

Are you insinuating that gay people consider themselves to be less masculine?

Thats alan border.
Erm no I’m pretty sure your the one suggesting that a player with long hair isn’t manly enough
Not to mention the sick to the stomach comment about two men hugging

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's proper daft talking about hair, but I've no doubt he'd get less stick if he had a 'standard' trim.

It's oddly just true that something like that, a floppy haircut, would add to the negative thoughts from people of a certain way of thinking.

For the record, I like his barnet. Really want him to do well but I'm starting to lose faith. Needs to be kept in the team to play himself into form - firm believer once he gets one in the league he'll start bagging. He's showed at a decent level that he can put the ball away.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet he’s never played a single game outside the top flight in 3 countries. It’s not working out for him here, Stevie wonder can see that but let’s not pretend he’s a league 2 footballer
I don't like him, he seems to think he is his price tag and it's play me or lose me.

I'd have punted him straight away. He needs a big reality check.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Erm no I’m pretty sure your the one suggesting that a player with long hair isn’t manly enough
To be fair to Norway, I think you're taking Fabio's arms around the oposition defender (hugging as you refer to it) out of context.
I rather think he (Norway) was frustrated by the reaction of our striker following a challenge on the field of play, or at least that's how his comment came over to me.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
I was sick to the stomach because he was being over nice to opposition while he should have been chasing an equaliser.

His actions were so embarassing. Really was strange.

Last edited:

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
To be fair to Norway, I think you're taking Fabio's arms around the oposition defender (hugging as you refer to it) out of context.
I rather think he (Norway) was frustrated by the reaction of our striker following a challenge on the field of play, or at least that's how his comment came over to me.
100% correct but when someone can’t debate properly their agenda becomes clear.

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
It's proper daft talking about hair, but I've no doubt he'd get less stick if he had a 'standard' trim.

It's oddly just true that something like that, a floppy haircut, would add to the negative thoughts from people of a certain way of thinking.

For the record, I like his barnet. Really want him to do well but I'm starting to lose faith. Needs to be kept in the team to play himself into form - firm believer once he gets one in the league he'll start bagging. He's showed at a decent level that he can put the ball away.
He’d get less stick if he’d do the job he was paid for.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
A bit too much long hair and men with a feminine side to my liking here also actually.

Have learned to live with it.

It's a free country.

100% correct but when someone can’t debate properly their agenda becomes clear.
There does seem to be an agenda. Mind how you post. Very close to moderating this further.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I so want Fabio to do well as we all do but it may never happen
His heart is just not in it. In the interview he comes across as very unhappy and homesick. He also does not seem to get on with O'Neill. Interesting what he said about loving working with Van Nistelrooy. I believe he has something about him, but I would be amazed if he is successful here.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not sure that last paragraph is right. He scored goals in the Europa league last season. If his career finished tomorrow I’d say that’s more of an achievement than being on a clubs finishing 17th bench.

So did plenty of players. Plenty of players outscored him in the Belgian league too. Including some as young as Fabio. Part of the problem since Fabio signing is that it's like it's blinded us to all the other players around Europe who could have done better and cost less. Just noticed Gift Orban. Aged 21. Scored 15 in 16 games for Gent in the Belgian league for example. Top scorer in the Norwegian League the season before - aged 20. It's not my job, I'm not the paid scout, but I reckon in a couple of hours online you'll find other young strikers as promising as Fabio in other leagues. At a fraction the cost.

I think that in context, Fabio's goals record for Anderlecht was not bad, but was also not anything special, either. As long as we've had him, he's effectively blocked off signing any other young goal scorers around Europe. He should have been just one of these lesser signings we've made that are immediately sent out on loan and virtually forgotten while they develop... or not.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So did plenty of players. Plenty of players outscored him in the Belgian league too. Including some as young as Fabio. Part of the problem since Fabio signing is that it's like it's blinded us to all the other players around Europe who could have done better and cost less. Just noticed Gift Orban. Aged 21. Scored 15 in 16 games for Gent in the Belgian league for example. Top scorer in the Norwegian League the season before - aged 20. It's not my job, I'm not the paid scout, but I reckon in a couple of hours online you'll find other young strikers as promising as Fabio in other leagues. At a fraction the cost.

I think that in context, Fabio's goals record for Anderlecht was not bad, but was also not anything special, either. As long as we've had him, he's effectively blocked off signing any other young goal scorers around Europe. He should have been just one of these lesser signings we've made that are immediately sent out on loan and virtually forgotten while they develop... or not.
So no, the highlight of his career if he retired tomorrow isn’t sitting on our bench.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So no, the highlight of his career if he retired tomorrow isn’t sitting on our bench.

For his sake, you have to hope he isn't remembered primarily for being the signing that sent an upwardly mobile club into a downward spiral. I'm sure he'll get a few goals in the Portugese League for one of the Big 3 vs the Championship level opposition they regularly play. And maybe even for Portugal against the Faroe Islands or similar in the future.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For his sake, you have to hope he isn't remembered primarily for being the signing that sent an upwardly mobile club into a downward spiral. I'm sure he'll get a few goals in the Portugese League for one of the Big 3 vs the Championship level opposition they regularly play. And maybe even for Portugal against the Faroe Islands or similar in the future.
So again in that scenario the highlight of his career won’t be being sat on our bench?

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For his sake, you have to hope he isn't remembered primarily for being the signing that sent an upwardly mobile club into a downward spiral.
Now I get the hatred

But you have to be beyond stupid to even begin to believe that sentence

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing for me we gave him the number 9 and then O'Neil is challenging him to get back in the side . So he must not rate Fabio at the moment which sums us up at the moment.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Objectively his contribution when he came on against Ipswich wasnt bad. He had a fair amount of possession, and created situations and chances, (notably for Cunha). He also managed to make something out of a terrible position for a header, forcing the keeper to mess up his save, and the ensuing goal should have stood. As the replays showed.

He remains a skilled footballer, with a knack for seeing plenty of the ball. He lacks confidence and ruthlessness. Thats all.

Back
Top Bottom