Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Let's all 'ave an Isco

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to give him a go, but his attitude could be the problem. I doubt someone like him would go for a deal until the end of the season with an option to go further, but if that is possible I'd certainly look at it if I were doing tx deals.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Well he moved to Sevilla for julen, julen is said to be a big admirer of the player ..

R

reanswolf

He seems skilful and creative but lack of pace which is already arguably a problem in our midfield.
But, a quality player on a free.............

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched him play a few games at Seville he simply wasn't very good he didn't look fit or that interested. So I hope not.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly the type of player we do not need. We already have at least half a dozen ineffective attackers who look good on paper, but have the production level of a slug.

Way past his best as well. Can't be ***** with it.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Philippe Coutinho???

Don't get me wrong, if we bought in Isco, it is exactly like Villa signing Coutinho, or Everton signing James Rodriguez. I know Villa and Everton fans and I told them both at the time that those signings would be expensive mistakes.

I'm under no illusions that Isco to Wolves could be exactly the same.

But both performed initially for managers they loved playing for. That's exactly what we need to try and capture. We almost need to forget that this might not be a sound financial decision longer term. We need goals, we need assists and we need points, fast.

Rodriguez scored 6 goals and got 5 assists in his season at Everton. He then pretty much stopped playing when it was clear Ancelotti wasn't going to be there the following season.

Coutinho got 5 goals and 3 assists in half a season on loan at Villa. They signed him permanently, on massive wages, Gerrard left and he now has no output in 12 games this season.

If we do go for Isco, ideally it's a short-term deal until the end of the season, partly to protect us, partly so he busts a gut trying to earn a new one.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, if we bought in Isco, it is exactly like Villa signing Coutinho, or Everton signing James Rodriguez. I know Villa and Everton fans and I told them both at the time that those signings would be expensive mistakes.

I'm under no illusions that Isco to Wolves could be exactly the same.

But both performed initially for managers they loved playing for. That's exactly what we need to try and capture. We almost need to forget that this might not be a sound financial decision longer term. We need goals, we need assists and we need points, fast.

Rodriguez scored 6 goals and got 5 assists in his season at Everton. He then pretty much stopped playing when it was clear Ancelotti wasn't going to be there the following season.

Coutinho got 5 goals and 3 assists in half a season on loan at Villa. They signed him permanently, on massive wages, Gerrard left and he now has no output in 12 games this season.

If we do go for Isco, ideally it's a short-term deal until the end of the season, partly to protect us, partly so he busts a gut trying to earn a new one.

Exactly this. We need somebody to come in, have an instant impact for/under Julen for 10-15 games and help keep us up.

Short-term deal until the end of the season with the promise of an extra year or two if we stay up or a break clause if we go down (when he and Julen wouldn’t stay) would suit all parties.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A JL man, I'd give him a go, can hit a forward pass which would be great because we're only going sideways at the moment.

He's a lock-picker. We've needed one for ages. How many times do we fanny about with the ball on the edges of the area.

Costa and Guedes often make little runs and movements but never get the ball. Isco is the sort of player that sees those runs and finds the right pass.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the few players that we get linked with, that I've heard of. Watched him play a few times for Spain a few years ago and was impressed.
I guess that we have to trust Loppy's judgement on this one as there are arguments for and against which we can all recite ad nauseam. As others have said, if he's motivated and wants to earn a new contract, he could be the spark we need. Otherwise......

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a lock-picker. We've needed one for ages. How many times do we fanny about with the ball on the edges of the area.

Costa and Guedes often make little runs and movements but never get the ball. Isco is the sort of player that sees those runs and finds the right pass.

I agree. It was plain to see in the Gillingham game that, against a team which defends in numbers, we can control possession, but make few clear cut chances until the game opens up. Nunes helped when he came on by carrying the ball past some of the defending pack, but we need someone else who can do the same, get into the box, and take the shot or lay off to a poacher who’s taken up a good position. Costa and Hwang can both play the poacher role, so I see the logic of Isco, if Lopetegui believes he is fit and motivated.

In other games, we will need different solutions. Against teams which are happy to attack in numbers, but still retain a solid defence, we will need more mobility to break at pace. Nunes can again play a key part in the transition, but up front we will need maybe a combination of Cunha and Hwang to spring the back line.

We’ve said for longer than I can remember, that we lack real options in the squad to adapt our system to attack different types of teams.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isco or Joao ? Isco or Joe it's not even a question worth asking, if Julen wants him I'm sure he would come. Those who are saying his best days are behind him yes they probably are, but at 30 he should still have plenty of good days ahead. To those who have doubts, Isco has been at the very very top of the game and still is if he wants it enough, I doubt very much that he would be coming to us for the money he has probably earned enough to live comfortably for the rest of his life, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, a few short years ago we were watching Deadly Dave down in League 1, now we are doubting the wisdom of signing Isco who has been winning multiple Champions League's over that time, JL will do what needs doing.

T

TheConcourse

Not sure what people are expecting here tbh. It feels like we’re signing players in 2 buckets:

- huge potential but underperforming
- young potential but risky

We’re never going to grab players at the peak of their powers. Even under Fosun, I’m not sure there’s one example of that.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At 30, he wouldn't have agreed to cancel his guaranteed pay cheque for 2 years at Sevilla, unless he already has a better offer somewhere else. I doubt he would cancel a 2 year contract, for a 6 month one

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At 30, he wouldn't have agreed to cancel his guaranteed pay cheque for 2 years at Sevilla, unless he already has a better offer somewhere else. I doubt he would cancel a 2 year contract, for a 6 month one
He doesn’t want to play for Monchi but wants to play for Julen. I’d be shocked if we don’t sign him.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He doesn’t want to play for Monchi but wants to play for Julen. I’d be shocked if we don’t sign him.

I'd be shocked, if he doesn't already have a new contract, with probably us, or if not, with somebody else

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A chance to sign a midfielder with 3 La Liga titles, 5 Champions League winner medals and just under a 1 in 3 scoring record at international level.

No thanks. He's had a run of poor form.
We've seen with both Moutinho and Costa that past glories soon fade as age creeps up. His past is no guarantee he'll do anything now?

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We've seen with both Moutinho and Costa that past glories soon fade as age creeps up. His past is no guarantee he'll do anything now?
I am not so sure bud, Bully wouldn't have done any worse than most of our forward line even at his age now. Mind you anyone one on here could have matched some of the 0 stats that we have from some players .

Back
Top Bottom