Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leicester Verdict

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great first half. You could see that we were brimming with confidence after the previous two wins. We have to learn to be more ruthless and finish teams off when we are so in control. We should have been 2 up at half time.
Thought Sa was a little unlucky with the penalty. He would not have made contact if he had not slipped.
Didn't go our way in the second half. Great save by Iversen from Neves free kick.
Very disappointing, but our fate is still in our own hands, and I feel that we are playing well enough to pick up the necessary points.

Stourwolf

Reaction score
Hate to say it but Neves comes on and look what happens. Sits in defence and midfield falls apart. Why cant someone tell him to stop this playing as a third defender rubbish and actually play a higher line? Like he did against Liverpool at home when it worked a treat. It is infuriating and ruins the midfield.
Neves is our most talented midfielder but when he sits in defence it ruins us, we loose our midfield.

SE10 Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neves is our most talented midfielder but when he sits in defence it ruins us, we loose our midfield.
Tend to agree, could he take Sarabia’s position for the Palace showdown?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t need to go game by game.

That’s what I thinks needed, and I don’t think we get 37 without winning on Tuesday.

If you agree, fair enough. But instead of all the questions, tell me what total you think is required.
So that's your opinion, but you won't back it up by explaining where the other clubs are getting their points from.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So that's your opinion, but you won't back it up by explaining where the other clubs are getting their points from.
You can work it out can’t you?

Everton could easily get 6 from their last two. So need to nick a win beforehand to get to 37.

Leicester need 3 wins and could easily do that.

Leeds’ next two and last two are opportunities for 8 points, also wouldn’t rule out Newcastle (H).

Forest should go down with Southampton.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

When he first came on, he was trying to cover Lemina’s role, but that wasn’t working as we were overrun.

As we’ve seen for years, he’s more effective when somebody else is chasing down and winning balls back - that’s what Lemina does extremely well, all over the pitch. Neves can do this to an extent, but it wastes his real talent, which is orchestrating how and where the ball moves in midfield when we’re in possession. Moutinho is similar, or would have been back in his prime, which is why we don’t really want both on the pitch at the same time, as they are too similar. Nunes is great at carrying the ball forward, and he can ping a pass too, but not as strong in winning it back when out of possession. Gomes can both win the ball and carry it.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
After having a night to get my annoyance out at a missed opportunity. I think along with the general consensus Sa's error that led to the penalty changed the momentum. Leicester's heads were down before that but Vardy is a wiley operator and he played on our weakness which was speed down the side of Dawson when Semedo pressed forward. Before the penalty he had got in already.

After the penalty I thought we did OK until half time breaking up the play to try and stop the momentum and half time came at the right time. Unfortunately, Lemina's injury changes the game. Neves coming on it was immediate that we dropped and stopped being on the front foot. We invited them onto us which in the end we paid for compounded by some bad substitutes. Costa was annoyed he went off and I was too. After he went off we had no focal point to build attacks from and never looked like scoring.

We basically seeded the game to Leicester and only one team looked like winning. Neves has been our best player in modern history but seeing us as a team without him. The way JLo sets us up without him. I feel that their styles do not mesh.

They were there to be got at and the subs made us so passive and predictable. Reminded me of the poor run under Nuno where we lost to West Ham away in his last season.

Neto, Adama with pace and direct running would of got us up the pitch and exposed the space for the last 30 but he bought Moutinho which this time was the wrong choice.

It was a chance missed but hope he has learnt from it and we revert back to same starting 11 against Palace Tuesday Lemina's injury allowing.

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A win yesterday and we would have been 10 points off relegation with 6 games left. We are now 6 points. To throw the game away from a winning position with only 60 minutes of football, against a team that looked like they were going to the gallows, is inexcusable. Yet again we don't punish a team when we're well on top and get nothing to show for it. Leicester were dire the first 40 minutes, the stadium was quiet as the grave, and the players looked like they wanted the ground to swallow them up. A team couldn't look more defeated than they did. But nope, we have to gift wrap them a goal and get them completely fired up.

Could Sa have been afforded more protection? Sure. But I'm sick of him charging out and conceding penalties, something he did as early as his second game in the league for us. It's always something waiting to happen, and if it's not that there's heart stopping moments where he'll do something crazy or try to play out and lose it/nearly lose it. He has some good shot stopping abilities, but we cannot carry a madman keeper.

The second half was more of the same crap from the past few years, too much tapping it about in the final third instead of testing the goal keeper. I'm sick to death of seeing it, and seeing players try to walk it into the net. Neves had some decent efforts, but there's too much reliance on "give it to Ruben and hope he scores a world class goal". The shots on target stat has been pathetic for a long time now.

It's also completely unacceptable to get a single point out of "must not lose" games against Forest, Bournemouth, Leeds, and Leicester. A single point. 1. And that was a late equaliser against Forest after being dreadful for the entire game.

Only Wolves could beat Spurs, Liverpool, and Chelsea, then lose to Bournemouth, Leeds, and Leicester.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My apologies if these have already been posted. Difference between the 1st and 2nd halves yesterday clear to see

That tells a pretty stark and obvious story. We were far too negative second half. Quite why we do this I don’t know and bringing moutinho on in that role was a big mistake. Why Lopetegui does this I have no idea. Don’t make the mistake of doing it on Tuesday.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That tells a pretty stark and obvious story. We were far too negative second half. Quite why we do this I don’t know and bringing moutinho on in that role was a big mistake. Why Lopetegui does this I have no idea. Don’t make the mistake of doing it on Tuesday.

Perhaps its as much to do with Leicester changing things around, as it is us? It used to be mostly the other way around - negative for the first 45/60 minutes.

Leicester fans think the result is down to Rodgers. That they always were a much better team and he was wrecking them, so what we saw yesterday was them at their best after months in the doldrums. It's not all about us.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right, and where are those bottom teams turning around their horrid form.
Just look at Leicester's form before yesterday. If they can do it, whose to say Saints, Everton, Leeds etc can't ?

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
If we do survive we are going to have to limp over the line.In much the same way when West Ham went down with 42 points and 40 points is the usual norm I don’t think that will be necessary.Maybe just a win should suffice.
This has been a horrible squeaky bum season .I have hated it

SingleMalt

Reaction score
If we do survive we are going to have to limp over the line.In much the same way when West Ham went down with 42 points and 40 points is the usual norm I don’t think that will be necessary.Maybe just a win should suffice.
40 points hasn’t been needed to survive for at least the past decade so I don’t think it’s a particularly pertinent benchmark any more. 35 to 37 will probably do this year I reckon.

Agreed that this season has been totally ****e.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps its as much to do with Leicester changing things around, as it is us? It used to be mostly the other way around - negative for the first 45/60 minutes.

Leicester fans think the result is down to Rodgers. That they always were a much better team and he was wrecking them, so what we saw yesterday was them at their best after months in the doldrums. It's not all about us.
It is unusual for all but the top teams to be on top all game or for the very worst to not have a good spell. Smith will have had words at half time, and his team responded better after the break. We played into their hands with our half time sub. These things happen. What I hold Julen to task about more is his later subs when it was obvious how the pattern had changed. Nuno, Lage and Loppy all seem to be safety first, and yes we have had some great results, but overall in the last couple of years we have been almost a chore to watch. I hope with a fit 9 we can play some more exciting stuff...

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes. Though when compared to all those Championship seasons where we were so often needing points to scrape into the playoffs at this stage. Think I prefer to be needing 4 or 5 points to stay in the Premier League than 3 wins from 4 to get to the playoffs. Especially if Grimsby was one of those matches. :( It's squeaky bum time either way!

With football, only a few teams win things. The rest just scrape through, with the occasional stellar season every decade or three. Like the Nuno seasons, we need to learn to enjoy it while it lasts, because we could be back playing Barnsley and Stockport on those dark winter nights! Or even worse...Birmingham.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
40 points hasn’t been needed to survive for at least the past decade so I don’t think it’s a particularly pertinent benchmark any more. 35 to 37 will probably do this year I reckon.

Agreed that this season has been totally ****e.
I agree it’s just that’s what many people expect to be the survival target

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well in control and on top until the Penalty but the subs killed us second half (Neves for Lemina was enforced). Leicester were on the up (as was the tempo of the game) and we put Moutinho and Hwang on which killed any momentum we had. I love Moutinho but he should only be making 20 minute cameos when we are comfortable not when we are struggling.

Toti was really poor he looked like a centre back playing as a left back positionally he was all over the place. I just hope Julen can stop making such poor substitutes granted it's a worked a few times but more times than not it's just not worked out well.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can work it out can’t you?

Everton could easily get 6 from their last two. So need to nick a win beforehand to get to 37.

Leicester need 3 wins and could easily do that.

Leeds’ next two and last two are opportunities for 8 points, also wouldn’t rule out Newcastle (H).

Forest should go down with Southampton.
So Wolves are embroiled in this relegation battle but Bournemouth, who are below us, are not?

Everton, Leicester and Leeds to all have an uptick in form in the home stretch too?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Wolves are embroiled in this relegation battle but Bournemouth, who are below us, are not?

Everton, Leicester and Leeds to all have an uptick in form in the home stretch too?
I think Bournemouth win two games, so they'll be fine.

Yes, they do have an uptick in form. It happens all the time at the end of the season, and there's a lot of games against one another.

Do you think 33 will keep a side up this season? I highly doubt it. Therefore, you agree that they will have an uptick in form. Then, it just depends on how big the upturn in form is.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Bournemouth win two games, so they'll be fine.

Yes, they do have an uptick in form. It happens all the time at the end of the season, and there's a lot of games against one another.

Do you think 33 will keep a side up this season? I highly doubt it. Therefore, you agree that they will have an uptick in form. Then, it just depends on how big the upturn in form is.
They won't all have an uptick in form. Bournemouth are yet to play Leeds, Leicester and Everton, someone's uptick will be very detrimental to anothers.

Let's hope Bournemouth beat them all, effectively reducing everyone else's season to five games.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Absolutely controlling the game, 1 up, Leicester players looking lost and all over the place, up steps the clown to needlessly and clumsily bring down past it steptoe who was going wider and wider away from goal, changes the whole atmosphere and direction of the game. It’s not the 1st time he’s messed up, yes he makes a few routine saves, he’s not reliable.
2nd half poor, subs didn’t help one bit, could see lamina was hurt stretching for a ball after a foul.
Turned off with 10 left as knew we wouldn’t score.

Positives, the midfield that started did well up until the penalty. A goal from open play.
Negatives, Sa, too easy to play through still, need a quick striker(still) we hunt in packs? We are too far from each other, we don’t move as a team, not enough energy, too slow, need I go on?

Still think we will scrape enough to stay up

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
I am reading posts on how many points will be needed to stay up in the prem this year.
What a load of *******s.
To survive you need one more point than the team that is sitting in 18th spot.
Face the truth, this squad isn’t good enough to stop in the prem.
J L is at a loss to know his best squad in best positions simply because of lack of consistent performance.
2 adequate performances netting 6 points than turning out this **** is not acceptable for me.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am reading posts on how many points will be needed to stay up in the prem this year.
What a load of *******s.
J L is at a loss to know his best squad in best positions simply because of lack of consistent performance.
2 adequate performances netting 6 points than turning out this **** is not acceptable for me.
We’re 1 win and 1 draw from safety 4 points is enough brighton play today weds and us Saturday we should be fresh enough to beat them. We lost to Leicester it was expected considering how we played the second half. Hope JL has given them a royal rollocking

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To write I am disappointed is very far from the truth, because I am almost disturbed and very nervous, for yesterday we just decided to allow 3 points to flow away from our grasp for no justified reason at all. Yes, I agree that Julien has a good share for this loss of points. Immediately I saw Neves and soon after Moutinio on the field I concluded that the match was lost. These 2 midfielders are taking the intensity of our play each time they are in the formation. They play too much walking football, which is surely not a premier standard. Wolves need to make up for these points next Tuesday.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read all this tbh so apologies if going over old ground. I wish we had some pace out wide, hang on we have Neto and Traore!!!!! We tried lots of tippy-tappy stuff down the middle and got nowhere. I'd love to see us exploit the wings but perhaps we lack the CF to finish it off? This ****ing season is seriously getting me down.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
What a load of *******s.
Well we've got 6 more points than the team sitting in 18th so that's sorted!
The squad is plenty good enough to stay up, as demonstrated by the top half form since Lopetegui took over.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a load of *******s.
OK... so we know your lot screwed up against the Mackems.... now run along.

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't read all this tbh so apologies if going over old ground. I wish we had some pace out wide, hang on we have Neto and Traore!!!!! We tried lots of tippy-tappy stuff down the middle and got nowhere. I'd love to see us exploit the wings but perhaps we lack the CF to finish it off? This ****ing season is seriously getting me down.
It was scandalous not to use Traore yesterday. Utterly scandalous.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we do survive we are going to have to limp over the line.In much the same way when West Ham went down with 42 points and 40 points is the usual norm I don’t think that will be necessary.Maybe just a win should suffice. This has been a horrible squeaky bum season .I have hated it
Whatever happens, this group of players have let the Wolves fans down this season and there has to be a reckoning in the Summer.
The way we crumbled mentally after the first sign of adversity was depressingly predictable.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
What a load of *******s.
Utter nonsense!

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
What a load of *******s.
The current league table says otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom