Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leicester Verdict

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A bit harsh but there is some truth in what you say. That is why I was keen on signing an attacking AM like Olmo who coming from deep would give the opposition something new to think about and offer a goalscoring threat. Our only attacking plan B seems to be to bring on Traore and hope his pace will create something out wide.

Our system is effective but opponents will increasingly nulilify it over the course of a season. Hopefully Nuno will keep innovating amd perhaps make a decisive signing or two in January.

It would be nice to have the midfield option and I reckon that perhaps we might have been looking but didn't come up with the right player for one reason or other.

Where I disagree is the assumption by many that other teams will nullify our system of play. That it is perhaps a catastrophe waiting to happen. If the players are good enough, and they are, then that matters much more than predictable styles of play. Teams might know what's coming but stopping it won't be as easy as many are starting to believe.

K

KnowleWolf

I don’t expect that many changes next Thursday. The fact so many players seemed off the pace today suggests they haven’t achieved full match fitness yet.
They were blowing out their arses towards the end. Of course they’ve not developed full match fitness but flogging them to death can’t help.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did you forget posting Leicester failed to score? That we earned a very good point away after a 6,000 mile round trip in the week? That no matter how predictable if you are good enough you will always cause opposition trouble?

Perhaps you forgot to type in we have played Newcastle, Man City, three Europa cup games and Leicester first up in the PL and have yet to lose a game.
Genuine grounds for optimism.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As Nuno said, what's the point of celebrating a "no goal"?
I guess the answer to that is quite simple ... it means that your team may draw or win a match that they otherwise wouldn’t.

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is exactly the point. It was entirely accidental, even slowed right down in the replay. It was a ricochet by every definition and his arm was exactly where it would normally be if you were jumping to head the ball. I could actually understand a ref in normal time with no replay disallowing the goal for handball, but not experts watching it with multiple angles and speeds. If this is an accurate application of the new rule, then this will ruin the game. I think it’s an error.

As for the outcome, it totally changed the game. From being sharp and on top after HT, after this farce, we lost our composure and nearly lost the game.

One word. Robbed.

Unfortunately, under the NEW rules, accidental,or not doesn’t matter, the rules were applied correctly and we had better get used to it.

What I can’t get my head round is that accidental handball leading to a goal means disallowed, but accidental handball in open play can still be ok and play on. That is a total nonsense. As with fouls, the same rules should apply all over the pitch in every circumstance.

Ned Stark

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Exactly what is your problem with my post? At no point did I imply anything about me being in charge, I suggest you get a grown up to read posts before replying, or are you a interloper from another clubs forum?
the phrase 'complete inept morons' was my specific problem since you ask

but thanks for the advice anyway

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't expect to be on the wrong end of a VAR quite so soon but the rule is the rule I guess.

I can see why they've tried to make is as unambiguous as possible but when ithe handball was so clearly accidental it really stings.

There's no way of knowing whether it will be any better if the accidental element of the contact was open to interpretation.

Isn't it like saying that any challenge that results in injury to the opponent is automatically deemed to be a red card offence even if it wasn't actually a foul?

We are not on the wrong side of VAR, imho, we are on the wrong side of a stupid and inconsistent rule change, whereby the same actions are treated differently in different phases of play.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A point at leicester is a very acceptable result. From listening and reading reports it seems we controlled their attacking play while ours was affected by the Thursday trip but could still have won, well done you Wolves.

Grendel74

Groupie
Reaction score
It would be nice to have the midfield option and I reckon that perhaps we might have been looking but didn't come up with the right player for one reason or other.

Where I disagree is the assumption by many that other teams will nullify our system of play. That it is perhaps a catastrophe waiting to happen. If the players are good enough, and they are, then that matters much more than predictable styles of play. Teams might know what's coming but stopping it won't be as easy as many are starting to believe.

The ‘idea’ that Nuno often talks about

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to say this. Cutrone has two opportunities to run at defence but he has a glaring lack of pace which you need at PL level. I understand he’s a fox in the box type but he won’t create anything 30 to 40 yards out as he’s not quick enough

Maybe Cutrone should only be brought on if Traore is brought on, too, to provide those crosses in to the box?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unfortunately, under the NEW rules, accidental,or not doesn’t matter, the rules were applied correctly and we had better get used to it.

What I can’t get my head round is that accidental handball leading to a goal means disallowed, but accidental handball in open play can still be ok and play on. That is a total nonsense. As with fouls, the same rules should apply all over the pitch in every circumstance.

Agree on your second point. Seems utterly counter to the basic tenants of the game.

On the first, as I’ve commented elsewhere, it’s really important to read the precise rules being applied, and what the PL said was the offence in this instances, and then rewatch the highlights. The rules are written to try and exclude accidental deflections without getting back into the accidental vs deliberate intent argument. Hence the rules state, and the PL quote in their post match tweet, that the offender (Boly) must be in control/possession of the ball after the handball (otherwise exclusions apply for accidental hand/ball incidents). It is pretty clear in the video that three people came together, and neither Boly or the Leicester defender were in possession/control of the ball after it deflected off Boly’s upper arm. Dendocker was in control, but that doesn’t count, it has to be the person who’s hand/arm was involved according to the wording of the rule.

Hence the rule as written and quoted by the PL was incorrectly applied in my view. Would be good to see one of the retired FA refs weigh in next week with their opinion.

JJ59

Reaction score
Surely there should be a timelimit on the VAR system. If it takes the VAR ref nearly 2 minutes to reach a decision then the video evidence cannot be clear and the refs original decision should stand. If the video clearly demonstrates an error by the ref then this should apparent very quickly. Clearly there was some debate today delaying the decision. I speak as a VAR supporter but think a 60 second limit for the decision with a live countdown screen would add not detract from the matchday experience. Looking at the screen at the KP today seemed to last forever. By the way well done to our fans today, they deafened me and must have helped the team get over the line.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well,I think we shaded it and would have been deserved winners if Donks goal would have stand.
First part second half I was only waiting for our goal to come..and it did IMO.
It is so clearly unintentional from Boly ,so for me it is a legit goal..no matter what the rules of today says.They will have to be altered sooner or later BTW..because they don´t make any sense as they are today.
MOTM..Big Willy Boly.

We wuz robbed by VAR and some really stupid rules.

Comparsion to last season..we are one point plus and two goals better GD.

Onwards and upwards.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Essential to get out our strongest team. No rotation wanted today..
This is probably a six pointer for a chance at the top six. And its an important start.
I hope we see a very different team start on Thursday.
And within a few weeks our new young signings can be bedded in to our playing system.
We should be in to our full stride and pomp by September, with some new boys on the bench .

W

WOMWOL

According to the rules the goal shouldn't have stood. There will be other incidents this season of the same ilk. Hopefully, one against us will be ruled out because we f-ing deserve it

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We had the better chances in my opinion but unfortunately fluffed them.
Defence was great but the midfield could have been better for me.
Not sure why we went with Saiss but Cutrone I feel was the right change. Can't believe people are talking about him being slow?!
Over all its a good point and a clean sheet so we keep going!

Glad the footie is back! :D

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the new rules the goal was correctly ruled out however stupid that if Boly had been at the other end of the pitch it wouldn't have been a penalty against.
I just hope that when Liverpool get a similar 'goal' it's also ruled out.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good point against a very good side!

Rui 6
Bennett 6
Coady 5
Boly 8
Doherty 4
Neves 6
Moutinho 6
Dendoncker 5
Jonny 5
Diogo 7
Raul 6

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the new rules the goal was correctly ruled out however stupid that if Boly had been at the other end of the pitch it wouldn't have been a penalty against.
I just hope that when Liverpool get a similar 'goal' it's also ruled out.
Not a chance of that.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

I would have considered bringing on Traore up top the way it was playing out.

Cutrone did nothing and in truth he doesn't look as though he will be able to do much in these type of games as he's not extremely quick and he may rely on service. That is going to be really useful in certain games when we need a presence in the box but we just defended so deep here.

Even though it's not Traore's position, I remember the chaos he caused at Arsenal as a forward when he just launched it up and he would have had that space in this game.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think all commentators need do a long GGGOOOAAALLL???....until VAR decides...then stop/breathe

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Cutrone should only be brought on if Traore is brought on, too, to provide those crosses in to the box?
That’s the point I was making. I’m not writing the bloke off at all. I’m saying he has no pace and we will need to play to his strengths by finding him in the box. Expecting him to run at players 30/35 yards out simply won’t work

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have considered bringing on Traore up top the way it was playing out.

Cutrone did nothing and in truth he doesn't look as though he will be able to do much in these type of games as he's not extremely quick and he may rely on service. That is going to be really useful in certain games when we need a presence in the box but we just defended so deep here.

Even though it's not Traore's position, I remember the chaos he caused at Arsenal as a forward when he just launched it up and he would have had that space in this game.
Be careful because your accurate assessment will be viewed as writing him off.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think that what is creating the farce here is that the rule should say deliberate handball. The whole thing smacks of reaction to Boly's goal against Man City. I have followed the game since 1956 and most of the people running the game have projected themselves as not fit to run a whelk stall so nothing has changed!

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really pleased with the point which is an improvement on the 2-0 defeat last season. A bit concerned we are a bit predictable away from home and feel we missed out in the summer on a central midfielder who can run at defenders.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely, it’s a chance for 5 or 6 changes? Give Ruddy, Jesús, Cutrone, Vinagre, Traore & Saiss a game?

I think all are nailed on starters. Maybe even more new faces too.

Henry Palfrey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree on your second point. Seems utterly counter to the basic tenants of the game.

On the first, as I’ve commented elsewhere, it’s really important to read the precise rules being applied, and what the PL said was the offence in this instances, and then rewatch the highlights. The rules are written to try and exclude accidental deflections without getting back into the accidental vs deliberate intent argument. Hence the rules state, and the PL quote in their post match tweet, that the offender (Boly) must be in control/possession of the ball after the handball (otherwise exclusions apply for accidental hand/ball incidents). It is pretty clear in the video that three people came together, and neither Boly or the Leicester defender were in possession/control of the ball after it deflected off Boly’s upper arm. Dendocker was in control, but that doesn’t count, it has to be the person who’s hand/arm was involved according to the wording of the rule.

Hence the rule as written and quoted by the PL was incorrectly applied in my view. Would be good to see one of the retired FA refs weigh in next week with their opinion.

Football is a simple game. Well, it used to be.

D

Deleted member 3751

Suggesting we should have won quite comfortably.

A draw was fair IMO, agree we edged it if anything though because of clearer chances.
It would have been comfortable though. Jota at the end of the first half, Jimenez and Jota at the start of the second half. All very presentable chances they should have done much better with, stick one or two of those away and still limit the home side to pot shots from outside the box from which they don't get one on target until the 83rd minute - comfortable win regardless of possession stats (which is a stat we know Rodgers places emphasis on and Nuno doesn't). One of them goes in and Rodgers and Leicester get well and truly Nuno-d

Back
Top Bottom