Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leicester City

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I knew Leicester City had a few issues, but didn’t realise how much of a mess they were in. I notice the club say they were compelled to take legal action. Is that because they feel they have been wronged, or to limit any action taken against them?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At a glance it seems the legal action is to prevent any possibility of points deductions this season which would probably scupper automatic promotion. It looks inevitable that they start next season with negative points wherever they are.
Ironic they were talking about suing Everton. Maybe they're one of those groups who call the lawyers whenever there's anything negative about them.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And having the audacity to win the Premier league...
I believe FFP was in force before that occurred. And with the best will in the world, its hard to imagine the authorities are too worried about Forest or Everton winning the league any time soon.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Reading through their fan forums it seems to me most of their fans actually blame the owners rather than playing the victims card as lots of Forest and Everton fans.

Indeed. There are several pages on ‚‘Foxes Talk‘ about this subject, and what surprised me is that apart from a few with siege mentality, the majority of Leicester fans lay the blame at the door of the owner and the board. A couple even mentioned that this was inevitable after their £93million loss a couple of years ago. No wonder they were trying to sell Jamie Vardy before the start of the 22/23 season.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Indeed. The are several pages on ‚‘Foxes Talk‘ about this subject, and what surprised me is that apart from a few with siege mentality, the majority of Leicester fans lay the blame at the door of the owner and the board. A couple even mentioned that this was inevitable after their £93million loss a couple of years ago. No wonder they were trying to sell Jamie Vardy before the start of the 22/23 season.
It's interesting to read looking back - no problems at the time

But then a model based around having a big enough squad to compete in Europe and then relegated, bringing about a huge drop in revenue, combined with a drop in allowed losses.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems like a bit of a hail mary to me. Bet they are absolutely dead to rights?

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At a glance it seems the legal action is to prevent any possibility of points deductions this season which would probably scupper automatic promotion. It looks inevitable that they start next season with negative points wherever they are.
Ironic they were talking about suing Everton. Maybe they're one of those groups who call the lawyers whenever there's anything negative about them.
It’s very ironic that both Notts Forest and Leicester were claimants for compensation from Everton

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hope they win. And people are still supporting this nonsense. Hilarious.

The latest nonsense, you can be judged on your time in the championship as part of the ffp rules but you can't have points deducted in the championship apparently. Yeah, that seems reasonable. :tearsofjoy:

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
Hope they win. And people are still supporting this nonsense. Hilarious.

The latest nonsense, you can be judged on your time in the championship as part of the ffp rules but you can't have points deducted in the championship apparently. Yeah, that seems reasonable. :tearsofjoy:
To be fair I don’t think people are ‘supporting this nonsense’, however we took pretty significant steps to our own detriment to ensure we complied, so understandably many of us think it’s only fair if teams who deliberately took no action to try and met the requirements suffer some sort of penalty

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to Simon Jordan on Talksport, it appears that Leicester tried to squirm between arguing that they were under EFL rules and then Premier rules. He seems to think they are bang to rights and will be punished accordingly. He mentions that Leeds and Wolves sold players to avoid fouling the rules and did the right thing.
A bigger breech than Everton!
Looks like the lawyers will continue getting richer as PSR/FFP bites harder.

Last edited:

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
To be fair I don’t think people are ‘supporting this nonsense’, however we took pretty significant steps to our own detriment to ensure we complied, so understandably many of us think it’s only fair if teams who deliberately took no action to try and met the requirements suffer some sort of penalty
Spot on this. Whether you agree with FFP/PSR is a wider debate. But last summer we lost our captain, some very well respected and well thought of players. And ultimately then a very good manager. Because we were trying to follow the rules. I have absolutely no sympathy for clubs who chose not to and now find themselves in trouble.

It’s like drink driving really. Everyone knows it’s illegal. It costs me a fortune in taxis etc because I’m not going to do it, so people who choose to do it and get done, tough.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on this. Whether you agree with FFP/PSR is a wider debate. But last summer we lost our captain, some very well respected and well thought of players. And ultimately then a very good manager. Because we were trying to follow the rules. I have absolutely no sympathy for clubs who chose not to and now find themselves in trouble.

It’s like drink driving really. Everyone knows it’s illegal. It costs me a fortune in taxis etc because I’m not going to do it, so people who choose to do it and get done, tough.
Well said. Totally agree and still makes me furious that Forest got a pathetic 4 points deduction, and Everton got 4 points back! They should all be suitably punished and hopefully it will cost Leicester their promotion.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Listening to Simon Jordan on Talksport, it appears that Leicester tried to squirm between arguing that they were under EFL rules and then Premier rules. He seems to think they are bang to rights and will be punished accordingly. He mentions that Leeds and Wolves sold players to avoid fouling the rules and did the right thing.
A bigger breech than Everton!
Looks like the lawyers will continue getting richer as PSR/FFP bites harder.

That'll be a 14 point deduction reduced to 10 on appeal.

I'm getting the hang of this.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it's 4 point deduction or around that then I can see some teams taking the hit and spending silly amounts. Said it before they need to at the end of the season and before the January transfer window have a system in place. Where all clubs in the prem have to publish their accounts and then it is said roughly what they can spend and what they have to sell in order to comply if in breach . Then if there is a failure to comply it should be a standard 12 point deduction and 12 points the next season if there is failure to show they have not balanced their books .

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So they get a deduction at the start of next season (assuming they go up, which no longer looks a given) and presumably they’re still operating at huge losses, so would be expected to have a bit of a fire sale of their promoted squad to avoid further punishment? When trying to compete in the PL? Or have I got it wrong?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So they get a deduction at the start of next season (assuming they go up, which no longer looks a given) and presumably they’re still operating at huge losses, so would be expected to have a bit of a fire sale of their promoted squad to avoid further punishment? When trying to compete in the PL? Or have I got it wrong?
You missed the EFL punishment, which precedent suggests will be much worse, if they don't go up. Basically they are in a bloody awful position.

Golden Oldie

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It would be interesting to have Linker's thoughts on this. Memory seems to recall him being very sanguine about their tactics of going into administration in 2002!

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Suppose it depends which year in the 3 year cycle is their biggest problem, if it’s the one that falls off then it will help…. a bit..

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can the Premier League deduct points from a club in the Football League?

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I get your point Jade, but did we actually sell anyone we didn't want to while in a transitional phase last summer?

We knew Neves was going and we had planned Nunes departure the summer before.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I get your point Jade, but did we actually sell anyone we didn't want to while in a transitional phase last summer?

I think given the choice we’d have liked to have kept Neves and Nunes especially, they’re good players. I know what you mean though.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They probably would have offered Adama more money to stay if they had the room and Raul might have stayed if we werent broke.

You could make a case that we could have kept some of the players we've sent out on loan if we weren't worried about the wage bill.

Reality is selling nunes kinda saved us from breaking the limits. Just because it paid off in doyle being a good player doesn't mean we didn't cut our cloth when others didn't

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it's 4 point deduction or around that then I can see some teams taking the hit and spending silly amounts. Said it before they need to at the end of the season and before the January transfer window have a system in place. Where all clubs in the prem have to publish their accounts and then it is said roughly what they can spend and what they have to sell in order to comply if in breach . Then if there is a failure to comply it should be a standard 12 point deduction and 12 points the next season if there is failure to show they have not balanced their books .

Can't publish, argument would be people wouldn't pay fair prices if they knew the club needed a certain amount to avoid a penalty.

Got to the point now where they just need to get rid of all of this. Let owners put money in and clubs spend what they want as long as they're not adding debt to the club. Leagues getting less competitive every season because of the current setup,

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Leicester City get promoted, will they still have a transfer embargo imposed on them, or does that only apply if they are in the Football League?

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How can the Premier League deduct points from a club in the Football League?
There have been some suggestions that it might happen due to the Premier league wanting more timely punishments and the EFL cooperating. And of course a reciprocal arrangement next season.
It seems Leicester have peed off both bodies by refusing to cooperate and basically claiming to be under neither parties jurisdiction due to relegation (officially at the end of June).

Back
Top Bottom