Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leicester City v Us..!

Locks Heath Wolf

Reaction score
I can only look on green eyed at this lot, winning the premier league and now this really makes me think... how I wish this had been something we could’ve done over the last few years. Remember all those times we played them in the 90s and were a similar sized club. (Ok so my brother in law is a Leicester fan and he’s a Nob so I’m bitter)...!!!

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We're still a similar sized club to them, they have invested wisely and are owned by a family happy to pump in money for success not financial return. As ever with these threads there's someone better off than us, let's not forget how many there are that are worse off.

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pleased for them because 1 I hare Chelsea and 2 They are not ranked "Big Six" + 3 They are a community-focused club, Alan Shearer said (he who rejected Manure to play for Newcastle instead, despite the money on offer, and who is against the attempt at a European Super League.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't help but think it could've maybe been us in the final today. Played the reserves against Southampton when the pathway to Wembley was there in the cup, especially considering we would've had Bournemouth waiting in the quarter final.

Wishful thinking as we probably would've lost in the semi-final against Leicester had we got there, but feels like a missed opportunity that we decided not to take it seriously.

Last edited:

Locks Heath Wolf

Reaction score
We're still a similar sized club to them, they have invested wisely and are owned by a family happy to pump in money for success not financial return. As ever with these threads there's someone better off than us, let's not forget how many there are that are worse off.
Absolutely agree mate, just a bit of fun though ey?

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can only look on green eyed at this lot, winning the premier league and now this really makes me think... how I wish this had been something we could’ve done over the last few years. Remember all those times we played them in the 90s and were a similar sized club. (Ok so my brother in law is a Leicester fan and he’s a Nob so I’m bitter)...!!!

very jealous but I don’t wish them any ill - except
When they’re playing us and VAR is ruining the game

D

Deleted member 11332

They are better off for now. Lets see how long they can continue to unearth unknown gems like Kante and Ndidi for relative pennies who turn into dominant forces. It doesn't seem sustainable to me. Although the model is good. I'd be willing to bet if we do what I think we will before next season we will be above Leicester by the time the 23/24 season has finished.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not jealous in the slightest. Good on them for what they have achieved. But, we are a well run club too ... and for the first time in a lifetime I genuinely feel we have a sniff of emulating what they have achieved. If you’d asked me that 5 years ago, I would have just laughed.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their recruitment is miles ahead of us.

We've had one good window since we came back up.
They’re a very well run club and their recruitment has been excellent the past few seasons but that’s not always been the case, it was pretty hit and miss before that.

After winning the league they wasted a fair amount of money on average buys with only really N’didi, Maguire and arguably Iheanacho (doing well this season but still debatable in my opinion considering he cost £25m and this is the first time in 3 years he’s looked like doing much for them) being really good signings.

Since 2018/19 they’ve had a much better hit rate though. Just don’t think they’ve always got it right all the time to get to where they are.

Not all signings always come off and plenty of clubs have windows that end up falling below expectation, not just us.

Considering they’re several seasons ahead of us anyway having been in the PL since 2014 (and having the massive boost of winning it and getting CL money), if we can replicate their up turn in transfers the next few seasons we can certainly be right up there too.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Glad for them........now.
But next season, all bets are off as we get back to our winning ways. I’m very optimistic about our next couple seasons.

D

Deleted member 11332

They’re a very well run club and their recruitment has been excellent the past few seasons but that’s not always been the case, it was pretty hit and miss before that.

After winning the league they wasted a fair amount of money on average buys with only really N’didi, Maguire and arguably Iheanacho (doing well this season but still debatable in my opinion considering he cost £25m and this is the first time in 3 years he’s looked like doing much for them) being really good signings.

Since 2018/19 they’ve had a much better hit rate though. Just don’t think they’ve always got it right all the time to get to where they are.

Not all signings always come off and plenty of clubs have windows that end up falling below expectation, not just us.

Considering they’re several seasons ahead of us anyway having been in the PL since 2014 (and having the massive boost of winning it and getting CL money), if we can replicate their up turn in transfers the next few seasons we can certainly be right up there too.

Iheanacho was a waste, he's had a purple patch and that won't repeat again but, Ndidi, Maddison, Tielemans, Pereira, Soyuncu, Fofana and Castagne all superb players and at very good prices.

Bradmore Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can't help but think it could've maybe been us in the final today. Played the reserves against Southampton when the pathway to Wembley was there in the cup, especially considering we would've had Bournemouth waiting in the quarter final.

Wishful thinking as we probably would've lost in the semi-final against Leicester had we got there, but feels like a missed opportunity that we decided not to take it seriously.
Would we have drawn Bournemouth? Was it already known?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
How does their recruitment work now BTW? Steve Walsh (not the one who butted Bully) was supposed to be the genius, but he's long gone and it still seems to be going well?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you could list all the clubs in order that other fans of the 92 clubs (excluding the sky 6) look at in envy and think ‘I wish that could be us one day’ Leicester would be top.

We would also be in the top 5.

Our rise the last few years has been incredible. Some people seem to completely forget that.

Blackpool Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Pleased for them - good friend is Leicester fan and was there today.

however, I always think we have nothing to fear when we play them - we always play well even if results don’t show it.

D

Deleted member 11332

If you could list all the clubs in order that other fans of the 92 clubs (excluding the sky 6) look at in envy and think ‘I wish that could be us one day’ Leicester would be top.

We would also be in the top 5.

Our rise the last few years has been incredible. Some people seem to completely forget that.
Man city would be top mate. Basically similar to us but got took over by a state who massively invested and turned them into the best team in the world.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very impressive when you consider the top players they lost after their title win. They have added and re-built solidly and in short order.
Which top players did they lose? Kante- yes, Drinkwater?

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Iheanacho was a waste, he's had a purple patch and that won't repeat again but, Ndidi, Maddison, Tielemans, Pereira, Soyuncu, Fofana and Castagne all superb players and at very good prices.
Yeah, at the moment for me Iheanacho is still a miss rather than hit at £25m. I can understand some saying it was a hit though as primarily his job was play second fiddle to Vardy and he’s been better than the other CF’s they’ve brought in since they’ve been in the PL. Maybe if he can replicate this form next season I’ll change my mind.

Everyone else you’ve listed have been very good signings, all but N’didi have been since 2018 though hence my comment about their recruitment not always having the hit rate they do now.

D

Deleted member 11332

Yeah, at the moment for me Iheanacho is still a miss rather than hit at £25m. I can understand some saying it was a hit though as primarily his job was play second fiddle to Vardy and he’s been better than the other CF’s they’ve brought in since they’ve been in the PL. Maybe if he can replicate this form next season I’ll change my mind.

Everyone else you’ve listed have been very good signings, all but N’didi have been since 2018 though hence my comment about their recruitment not always having the hit rate they do now.
Maybe but 2018 is ancient history when it comes to football, moves so quickly. They sell at the right time then get the right players to replace or have them already in house. I doubt their ability to pick up hidden gems like Kante and Ndidi is gonna last.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe but 2018 is ancient history when it comes to football, moves so quickly. They sell at the right time then get the right players to replace or have them already in house. I doubt their ability to pick up hidden gems like Kante and Ndidi is gonna last.
I don’t disagree. I just think it’s worth noting it’s only been a few more recent windows in which they’ve had good hit rates.

When considering they’ve been in the league 4 seasons longer than us and the financial benefit of winning the league and CL football, if we matched their hit rates ourselves over the next few windows and our younger players develop as some of theirs have we’ll have a good chance of being in just as good a position as they are now.

My original point was more about how Wolves aren’t the only club who not every signing comes off for and even a club who have developed as well as Leicester have had their fair share of misses before getting it right.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
I look at Leicester and I actually think that if you look at our weak areas and replaced it with their players you’d have some team!

Patricio
Semedo Soyuncu Fofana Jonny
Neves Tielemans Moutinho
Traore Raul Neto

Where’s that team finishing in the table?

colwall wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Best run club in england

all round fosun should be looking at them as shining example

D

Deleted member 11332

I don’t disagree. I just think it’s worth noting it’s only been a few more recent windows in which they’ve had good hit rates.

When considering they’ve been in the league 4 seasons longer than us and the financial benefit of winning the league and CL football, if we matched their hit rates ourselves over the next few windows and our younger players develop as some of theirs have we’ll have a good chance of being in just as good a position as they are now.

My original point was more about how Wolves aren’t the only club who not every signing comes off for and even a club who have developed as well as Leicester have had their fair share of misses before getting it right.

Surely anyone with a brain realises that though?

My prediction is by the end of the 22/23 season we will be a better side than Leicester are and will finish in the top 4.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I live in Loughborough so a Lesta heartland. Great for the East Midlands and Midlands Football in general.

I would say that those questioning our recruitment might look at some of those players in the pitch today and see that our recruitment strategy of buying youth and blending it with established players does pay off.

Maybe not this season. Perhaps not even next one, but in 3-5 years we will see the fruit of our recruitment now.

The success will be all the sweeter when it arrives.

If Lesta can do it, so can we.

BELIEVE!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For transfers I wonder if we fish in too small a pool.

D

Deleted member 11332

For transfers I wonder if we fish in too small a pool.

See this loads but in the last two years we've signed players who play in Greece, France, Spain, Italy, England and Portugal. How is that a small pool? And a good % of our players are not represented by mendes so that argument is moot aswell.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
See this loads but in the last two years we've signed players who play in Greece, France, Spain, Italy, England and Portugal. How is that a small pool? And a good % of our players are not represented by mendes so that argument is moot aswell.
Our top players and coaches are mainly Portuguese. Leicester are more balanced , I can’t say they are mainly from one country.

Last edited:

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely anyone with a brain realises that though?

My prediction is by the end of the 22/23 season we will be a better side than Leicester are and will finish in the top 4.
I think most probably can when looking at it with a neutral perspective.

I guess it’s easy to see other clubs doing well and, not knowing them as indepthly (is that even a word, you know what I mean!!) as your own club pick out their positives and compare them to your own clubs negatives as you’re comparing selective bits of info against every little foible.

Picking out Leicester as a comparison is going to put Wolves in a dimmer light right now. Pick out Watford though who were in the same fight for 7th as us and Leicester in 2018/19 and made it to the fa cup final unlike us or Leicester and we’d come up far more favourably. I guess most will always pick out someone better as you always want to improve, sometimes it makes it more difficult to match up to your expectations though.

I’m sure it’s the case that every clubs fans are like that to be honest.

D

Deleted member 11332

Our top players and coaches are mainly Portuguese. Leicester are more balanced , I can’t say they are mainly from one country.

Look at our best starting lineup. How is that now mixed? Spain, Mexico, England, ivory coast, Belgium and Portugal. Hardly Burnley am we.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at our best starting lineup. How is that now mixed? Spain, Mexico, England, ivory coast, Belgium and Portugal. Hardly Burnley am we.
Moutinho. Neto, Podence , Silva , Patricio , Neves, Semedo , Jota ,Costa ,Cavaleiro , Vintinha All regular first team .Come on.

Back
Top Bottom