Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Leeds verdict

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meslier - 21 (first team, first choice keeper)
Cooper - 30
Raphinha - 24
Llorente - 28
Dallas - 30
Rodrigo - 30

James - 23
Struijk - 22 (27 starts last lesson)
Harrison - 24
Klich - 31
Shackleton - 22

without wishing to **** on your chips - hardly U23 - there are more players over 30 in their starting 11 than under 23.

Shackleton is the only player in the starting 11 to really fit your narrative - still it keeps you happy :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Just shows what a happy clapper you are, nit-picking.

We were dominated in the second half more than the first. From the 63rd minute to full-time, the Leeds team had seven players aged 23 and under, when we were really under the cosh.

Jeru360

Reaction score
To be fair, we are very restricted by having the least mobile midfield in the history of the Premiership. They are individually good players, but there is no mobility whatsoever.
I feel a bit sorry for Bruno, he must realise our severe limitations.
And the one mobile midfielder we had we loaned out to Sheffield Utd.
I am not happy about today but he needs time - too early to pass judgement on Bruno in my opinion.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The games pivotal moment….. free kick 20 yards out. Great chance. Of course, Moutinho has to selfishly pull rank again on a set piece. And yet again delivers rubbish when far more capable players want to take it.

Soon after Leeds equalise.

Moutinho is holding us back, is playing for himself and it cannot continue .
Very good point. Kilman or saiss much better options from that position

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The games pivotal moment….. free kick 20 yards out. Great chance. Of course, Moutinho has to selfishly pull rank again on a set piece. And yet again delivers rubbish when far more capable players want to take it.

Soon after Leeds equalise.

Moutinho is holding us back, is playing for himself and it cannot continue .

That had nothing to do with Leeds equaliser.

However that free kick, just like his corners, was absolutely ****. Saiss should have hit it.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Need to get an extra body in midfield. Donkey must never play in midfield for us again. For christ's sake this is the guy who fouled Troy Deeney in the box in the dying minutes of an FA Cup Semi Final at Wembley, while said Watford player was running away from goal! **** him right off. To find that extra body we cannot forsake an attacker, so need to go to a back 4! Simple really. We also need to play Podence in the hole behind Hwang and Jimenez. Some really hard decisions for Bruno to make. Go on be brave Bruno.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh right because we're performing terribly so far under Bruno are we?

The blokes been given one player Hwang that might actually change our system and he's got us performing superbly.

No disrespect but regardless how he performs from now on his footballing knowledge dwarfs any of ours on here.

If you're referring to Moutinho I am quite sure he would not be playing if he wasn't physically capable.
I agree his knowledge is far superior to mine. I am just dubious about his judgement on some aspects of our game the so far. That’s not to say he is doing a good/bad job just that some things are surely questionable if we are intending to go in a different direction to how we were progressing?

Also, I I do agree with many that he has been woefully sold short by the board. But the first 3 games we performed superbly, albeit without results. However since then our performances have gotten progressively worse IMO.

It’s a long season with many twists and turns. I just hope Bruno truly has the adaptability and lack of stubbornness that we need to make better progress than last season.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We lost points to a team whose biggest, possibly only trhreat was a youngster signed from Wigan for less than 1M. But we still got more than we deserved. If we had faced a team with any quality up front we would have been thrashed.

Really worrying.

StLuke

Groupie
Reaction score
I just saw a team that is trying it’s best and a manager that is using players sparingly because he does not have a squad that’s capable of anything else. The performance of the team was pretty dire, but I credit the manager for being pragmatic enough to realise we have to get through to January with players that are not at 100%, and to run them into the ground will see us plummeting down the table. The 90 minutes is not always the whole story. UTW

Ginger Wolf

Reaction score
Grateful for a point today as we didn't deserve that much in my opinion.
Donk frustrates me as he just doesn't seem to want to make tackles, the ball is there to be won and he's afraid of getting hurt or conceding fouls.
When Boly's fit maybe play him left centre back and try Sais in midfield with Neves.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Back 5 and Sa good on the whole with Kilman again the stand out.

Moutinho and Donk absolute disaster classes. Adama and Raul not much better. Hwang did ok but nothing much to shout about.

So desperate for 2 CM in.

People saying Moutinho did well are just seeing what they want to see now. It's Wolverhampton Wanderers fc, not Joao Moutinho fc.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just got home. The way i see it we were about 50/50 first twenty minutes and leeds gradually stepped it up. Ait nouri and moutinho showed that leeds literally ran us into the ground. Their support was excellent. In the end we crumbled but only because senedo had to swap sides. I dont think it was a “cowardly” performance as some have said. I do think we should have used neves earlier. Ten points from five away games is ok. We won a point not lost two

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Take the point and run. Very poor performance and if the game had gone on for 5 min or so longer we'd have lost. Work to do

Huyton W88lvo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was 100mph and the game was crying out for Neves to come on and put his foot on the ball. Worried by the lack of midfielders in our squad . We sit too deep and invite pressure . Bruno doesn’t make his subs early enough when everyone else can see we need to change the momentum in a game.

VAR OUT

Groupie
Reaction score

Moutinho and Donk absolute disaster classes. Adama and Raul not much better. Hwang did ok but nothing much to shout about.

People saying Moutinho did well are just seeing what they want to see now. It's Wolverhampton Wanderers fc, not Joao Moutinho
Mate, we used to have David stabby Davis with Jack price alongside . Joao is unreal . We won’t see better than him in his first season I swear to thee. Even now , can’t say nothing about Joao when many on here would’ve let Kevin McDonald Of all people make love to their Mrs

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Mate, we used to have David stabby Davis with Jack price alongside . Joao is unreal . We won’t see better than him in his first season I swear to thee. Even now , can’t say nothing about Joao when many on here would’ve let Kevin McDonald Of all people make love to their Mrs
So what? I don't live in the past, I'll always appreciate how great he was but the now is the now

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Wonder what the premier league will do about the Leeds fans who threw objects at our players?

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I agree his knowledge is far superior to mine. I am just dubious about his judgement on some aspects of our game the so far. That’s not to say he is doing a good/bad job just that some things are surely questionable if we are intending to go in a different direction to how we were progressing?

Also, I I do agree with many that he has been woefully sold short by the board. But the first 3 games we performed superbly, albeit without results. However since then our performances have gotten progressively worse IMO.

It’s a long season with many twists and turns. I just hope Bruno truly has the adaptability and lack of stubbornness that we need to make better progress than last season.

I would say he's proven he can adapt already.

Yes our performances have got more pragmatic but we have picked up more points, who can argue about that?

As someone else said bad teams don't win 3 on the trot in the Prem.

We are a good side now and still some people are scared to believe it, top half will still be a struggle but that's because of all the other good sides not because we are not a good side.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was donk. He was in the Leeds half with time and as always panicked and passed it backwards like a 12 year old
That is his default. IMHO, one of the worst players in the squad and so too ingrain with Nuno tactics.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The quality of player.

Should our team not be capable of better performances, that's performances not results, than what they're currently showing? In my opinion, yes, we're capable of much, much more.

Where in the table should we be?

Every team will lose. Bruno should not fall victim to over expectation. We are performing well and picking up results.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

People saying Moutinho did well are just seeing what they want to see now. It's Wolverhampton Wanderers fc, not Joao Moutinho fc.
Raul and Moutinho ran themselves into the ground. Hwang also ran himself silly and scored, and off the back of a Raul assist. Moutinho did a lot of dirty work in front of defence, although he was less effective further forward in the face of Leeds press. Adama was effective in the first half, largely fed by Coady through balls, but much less so second as Leeds adapted.

I’d describe much of the game as two teams nullifying each other and wearing themselves down in the process. The ref didn’t provide a great deal of protection in the first half, and Raul was visibly annoyed. As the game wore on, Leeds made earlier and more effective substitutions and maintained the pressure, while we tired, dropped ever deeper and our attack evaporated. I guess we also have to credit Leeds for this. A goal seemed inevitable but the manner it came was unlucky on Semedo as it was very soft. I’d agree that our lack of CM options was a factor, as was Lage leaving it late to bring Neves on.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The quality of player.

Should our team not be capable of better performances, that's performances not results, than what they're currently showing? In my opinion, yes, we're capable of much, much more.

Of the teams above us only Brighton have a less expensive squad. Of those below us I would argue Villa and Leicester have more expensively assembled squads.

So somebody explain how we are underperforming based on our squad relative to the other 19 teams in the league.

Wolves fans like most football fans are far too entitled. Top half will be over achieving for us this year and I'm actually confident we can achieve it if we don't crush the team for getting a draw away at a team like Leeds.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of the teams above us only Brighton have a less expensive squad. Of those below us I would argue Villa and Leicester have more expensively assembled squads.

So somebody explain how we are underperforming based on our squad relative to the other 19 teams in the league.

Wolves fans like most football fans are far too entitled. Top half will be over achieving for us this year and I'm actually confident we can achieve it if we don't crush the team for getting a draw away at a team like Leeds.
No, you're missing the point hugely.

I deliberately stated performances not results and you're now bringing results into it. Where we are is irrelevant. We should not be playing as we did against a weakened Leeds side today. We're so much better than that.

We should not be creating one chance through Adama Traore running past five players against Aston Villa in 80 minutes. We're so much better than that.

Brentford, Newcastle are similar stories.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The quality of player.

But for the late penalty, we’d be fourth tonight. Looking at our available squad, and no disrespect to our team, I think that would be over performing. Upper mid table feels a fair reflection of the squad we currently have available. Get out injured players back, and a couple of quality additions to midfield and defence, and I’d say we could compete for a European spot again.

Reading your later reply, I’d say performances are a distant second to results. A team which plays attractive football and loses half a dozen games gets its coach fired. It’s a results game first and foremost. Even Fergie and Klopp demonstrated that. Win by whatever means necessary.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But for the late penalty, we’d be fourth tonight. Looking at our available squad, and no disrespect to our team, I think that would be over performing. Upper mid table feels a fair reflection of the squad we currently have available. Get out injured players back, and a couple of quality additions to midfield and defence, and I’d say we could compete for a European spot again.
4th would be overperforming but we don't deserve to be there.

A point away to Leeds is a very good result, I hype Bielsa more than anyone on here, so I know that.

Playing the way we did against that Leeds team is not acceptable. It was embarrassing.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No disrespect intended, but it’s one thing doing an in depth analysis and quite another to actually use that information in a highly productive way. Not sure I’m seeing that as one of his strengths right now. I would also question his analysis of some players’ abilities to play so many minutes domestically and internationally, especially those in the twilight of their career.
Just my view of course.

I would question why Moutinho is playing every game and is left to take rubbish set piece after rubbish set piece. Can no one else at the club take a corner?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought Moutinho gave everything for the cause today.

I thought he was really poor as was Dendoncker. The passing stats from the game show this. They gave the ball away regularly and didnt press. I personally thought they were both awful.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4th would be overperforming but we don't deserve to be there.

A point away to Leeds is a very good result, I hype Bielsa more than anyone on here, so I know that.

Playing the way we did against that Leeds team is not acceptable. It was embarrassing.
I disagree. See my add to my last post written while you were replying to my first draft.

Focke Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Dendoncker did an admirable job
I love reading your posts Tring, generally speaking their spot on in accuracy and knowledge, but I think you’ve got this wrong today concerning Dedoncker. He played ok for the first 20 minutes, but after that he gave the ball away a lot by both being dispossessed easily and by poor passing. He turned advantage into disadvantage by doing his normal thing of stopping mid play turning towards his own defence and passing backwards. Why can’t he be the slightest bit positive with the ball at his feet, he just seems to want to unload it as soon as possible. Today he didn’t look comfortable with the ball at his feet whatsoever. I think he ran around a lot but didn’t seem to affect the game in a positive way for us at all.

Positives; I thought as a unit we defended well under immense pressure, and after his goal it was good to see Hwang tackling back and supporting the defence in the second half. Alt Nouri added another layer in attack, but he must be careful. A couple of times he was caught to far up field when Leeds attacked down his wing and we were caught out. Sa did a brilliant save as well.

I thought we were naive tactically after the goal. It hardly ever ends well when we sit deep and invite teams onto us. They deserved to win on merit and I’m happy with the point.

Long journey home back to sunny Gloucester, but made more enjoyable by listening to the Clash and the Buzzcocks at full blast. Onto Everton.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What about his ****ing abysmal corners - again! Why are successive managers persevering with him, when every man, woman and his/her dog/cat/rabbit/hamster can see he's finished? Why oh ****ing why!

Totally agree. It is really strange. Nearly every corner is crap along with his free kicks. Does Bruno not instruct other players to take corners and free kicks apart from Moutinho and occasionally Neves? It is becoming almost laughable how bad our set pieces are and nothing ever changes.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I disagree. See my add to my last post written while you were replying to my first draft.
Yeah sorry saw that after. Obviously results only matter but you must agree that results and performances eventually level out? Or close enough.

So, in my opinion, we need to play well to get results over the course of the season and whilst these six games have brought 13 points, we've been fortunate and it's not sustainable.

We need to start playing better and I think we're capable of more. I think we have a good team, with the exception of central defence.

Back
Top Bottom