Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Last Topped the League

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought we might have topped it in the early 70s for a week or something.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d be interested to know when the last time each team had topped the table after a meaningful number of games was.

Most of those are very early in the season when the table is in flux.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We definitely topped it under McCarthy the season we went down, even if it was only for a couple of hours

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We definitely topped it under McCarthy the season we went down, even if it was only for a couple of hours

Looks like they've been a bit more statistically rigorous and only included when the full round of matches were played. With 12:30 starts, whoever wins the first match of the season would be top for a couple of hours every year. I prefer the way they've done it as it is a genuine top of the table after the full weekend thing,

Having said that, when you look at the month they were last top, many of them were in August. Almost all of those outside the "usual suspects". If they used just the table after 4 or 5 matches, which is really quite sensible, then many more, maybe over half, haven't topped it for more than 50 years.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I remember in the 70’s going to Luton knowing a win would put us top of the First Division but a Ron Futcher hat tick saw us lose 3-2

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like they've been a bit more statistically rigorous and only included when the full round of matches were played. With 12:30 starts, whoever wins the first match of the season would be top for a couple of hours every year. I prefer the way they've done it as it is a genuine top of the table after the full weekend thing,
I thought this, if that's the case though, would Southampton 'really' top the table with a win tonight? With the whole weekend still to come

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Having said that, when you look at the month they were last top, many of them were in August. Almost all of those outside the "usual suspects". If they used just the table after 4 or 5 matches, which is really quite sensible, then many more, maybe over half, haven't topped it for more than 50 years.

Not entirely sure they have been more rigorous, other than maybe to say at the end of any day (to allow for variations in KO time) which is possibly why ours from the Mick McCarthy reign wasn't in. A lot of them were last top on a Friday which presumably would the one of the first matches in a round and just picking on one in particular - Man U's it was on Friday 10th August, one game had been played - they beat Leicester City in the opening match of the 2018/2019 season.

Using the "end of day" would also tie in with them using Southampton as the main crux of the article [edit - beat to this bit by @Fenrir_ ]

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I recall Millwall being heading the top division around December only to be relegated.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The photo showing 'Frank Wignall playing for Wolves in 1962' will come as a surprise to many because Wignall didn't play for the club until 1968.

The photo in question looks suspiciously like either Ted Farmer or Jimmy Murray.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember us all chanting “we are top of the league” against boro at home in august 93, when we were 2-1 up.
Obviously we then lost 3-2.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's clear that the article is referring to the table at the end of the day as kick-off times play a role, but at least for three hours on the afternoon of August 27 2011, we were top.

Alas, the Manchester clubs managed to overhaul us over the long run...

WW1400-20110827.png

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
62/63 we lost to everton next game and were winless for 7 games but recovered to finish 5th. poor ted farmer injured

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lawndog

Reaction score
So........last time we were top was the day I was born........er...

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If it's rigorous as you suggest, then Southampton still won't have been top by their yardstick by tomorrow evening when all the weekend's fixtures have been played, unless the teams up at the top there all have a complete 'mare.

Back
Top Bottom