Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kilman keep or sell?

Would you keep or sell Max Kilman?

• Sell

Votes: 95 31.3%
  • Keep

Votes: 209 68.8%

• Total voters

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I've got no problem with the FFP argument for kilman ....the reason I started getting involved in the thread because people were saying he was bang average but wanted a massive fee for him....which I found a bizarre contradiction....that's all.....granted if Neto got injured and didn't leave kilman would be an obvious candidate, not cause he is bang average but because he would get interest...
I said he was bang average on Sunday. I did not say he was bang average. **** me, things get completely distorted on here. As someone else said, every player, certainly at Wolves, has his price, Kilman is no different.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
I like Kilman generally but if we got the English tax and got big money I'd take it. Sometimes looks a real rolls Royce of a player but other times championship performances. I guess that's why he's still here and not been bought by a CL club.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me, if we need to raise funds, i think we could replace him probably for half the price we could sell him for. Seeing as we are going to be a sell to buy club, he's a good example of a player we can make good money on.

If GON wants to switch to a back 3, we need probably 2 new center halves. Kilman and Dawson looked very, very ordinary early on, they both only suit a back 5 imo.
Who is the mythical replacement we get for 20m… and why do you know about him, but the highly paid recruitment teams of the clubs who’ll allegedly pay 40m for Kilman don’t know about him?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Strange that a club like Napoli, who doesn't care about the "English tax" given it benefits them in no way, would offer £35 million for him, if he's not worth anywhere near that.
Italy's tax break expired early. No way they can do that now.

This is the problem generally: money is a lot tighter now, and it probably will be for awhile.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just don’t understand the point of this thread.

Ok, so we sell him for £40million, which is his value that Mixers have mentioned. Who does that leave us with? An ageing (but still very good) Craig Dawson, decent Toti and Premier League inexperienced Santi Bueno. That would worry me no end.

Max is a top, top Premier League central defender and it would cost the supposed £40million we get to replace him imo!

He’s our captain, very happy at the club and a very, very good central defender. No pressure to sell, so why start a thread?

Why not start a keep or sell for every one of our players. Let’s start another keep or replace GON while we’re at it as well. Why not start another Fosun in or out thread?

These threads wind me up a bit when they mention our best players!
Very good and valid points.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Italy's tax break expired early. No way they can do that now.

This is the problem generally: money is a lot tighter now, and it probably will be for awhile.
The clubs that will generally want our best players, aren't affected anywhere near as much by FFP as clubs like us, due to the disparities in commercial revenues.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The clubs that will generally want our best players, aren't affected anywhere near as much by FFP as clubs like us, due to the disparities in commercial revenues.
This is somewhat true, but they have also been rather profligate lately. Man United especially, but Arsenal and Chelsea really have no room at the moment.

Man City, Spurs, and Liverpool maybe...and for Spurs he might be okay, but they ain't paying full price like that i don't think. He's 26 now....resale after his next contract will be limited.

Italian clubs are just skint. Spain has Real Madrid and then clubs that are skint. Germany, god bless them, have a different philosophy about football that means they won't be spending huge money like that.

I just don't know where the market is going to come from.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is somewhat true, but they have also been rather profligate lately. Man United especially, but Arsenal and Chelsea really have no room at the moment.

Man City, Spurs, and Liverpool maybe...and for Spurs he might be okay, but they ain't paying full price like that i don't think. He's 26 now....resale after his next contract will be limited.

Italian clubs are just skint. Spain has Real Madrid and then clubs that are skint. Germany, god bless them, have a different philosophy about football that means they won't be spending huge money like that.

I just don't know where the market is going to come from.
Spurs won't buy him because they went for Van de Ven instead, and it's unlikely they'd want two left footers. I think he'd fit Man City very well but they already have an abundance of quality centre halves.

Man United is probably the strongest shout of the lot. Varane is out of contract, they desperately want to get rid of Maguire, and Martinez can't stay healthy. Not that I'd want us to sell him, but the Maguire fee is the precedent in that scenario to justify wanting a substantial fee for Kilman.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s all perception, isn’t it?

I think Dawson is far more effective at defending than Max but has anybody got any stats on the two of them?

Tackles, headers, interceptions etc?

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Said earlier in the thread it would take insane money for it to make sense and think nearly everyone else is pretty much in agreement.

Neto will be off in the summer and hopefully a couple more out on loan we get fees for so absolutely no reason for us to do it but money talks.

Very much doubt anyone will come in with the required bid to make it an "insane" offer so pretty confident he'll still be here as captain next season

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But if he was bang average like quoted surely he would be only worth 15m.......not going for a near record fee for a wolves player , a fee that is massive for a centre back.....so he can't be bang average....as I say it doesn't make sense....

Only 12 centre backs have gone for more than 45m in the history of the game....that would put him in an elite band not a bang average band...

He is crap but we want top dollar....bizarre.....if he is good enough to command a top fee surely he is good enough for us......
Average English players still fetch good money, especially a left footed center half. I think he's just an OK premier league defender, which basically means I think he is average. He isn't playing anywhere near as well as in Lages first season here.

Think you are getting a bit carried away with saying people are calling him crap. Regardless of anything though, we are for the foreseeable future going to be a club that sells players and reinvests. He's a player I still think we can replace adequately for less than we would sell him. That's our model so it's probably going to happen at some point.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who is the mythical replacement we get for 20m… and why do you know about him, but the highly paid recruitment teams of the clubs who’ll allegedly pay 40m for Kilman don’t know about him?
Thats an odd statement, im not paid to be in charge of recruitment, but I named a heap of players who went for pretty good value prices. It's clear they are out there, depends on how much risk you want to take.

As for other teams recruitment, they may well know about plenty of players we are interested in. Doesn't mean they are in a position to sign them, or even want to take risks on players to develop. There isn't an endless pot of money for most premier league clubs to spend on players, this needs to be our approach to remain financially sound. Sell and buy a decent quality replacement to develop.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’s a top 8 premier league defender, if we want to kick on we need top 6 defenders which will cost more than £40m.

We also need a top 6 club to buy him so that he becomes a top 6 defender.

Maybe just keep him!

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Average English players still fetch good money, especially a left footed center half. I think he's just an OK premier league defender, which basically means I think he is average. He isn't playing anywhere near as well as in Lages first season here.

Think you are getting a bit carried away with saying people are calling him crap. Regardless of anything though, we are for the foreseeable future going to be a club that sells players and reinvests. He's a player I still think we can replace adequately for less than we would sell him. That's our model so it's probably going to happen at some point.
It's a load of tosh at the minute...people saying if we got an offer north of 40/45m is at the minute fantasy land....the offer we had from Napoli was close to 25m......which in my eyes isn't enough...

Off course big offers are different and off course for FFP we will need to accept some of them....but for a defender who has kicked every minute for us this season is isn't enough to replace him with ... especially when very soon we may have to replace Dawson.....people can keep chucking players in like Yerson and S Bueno but at the minute they have done nowt for us.....it's just as likely we may move either of them on in the summer to fund a replacement.....Max is one of those players our fan base takes for granted , just like they do or have with Sa and Semedo, players who have there moments granted but are available almost 100% of the time , with with a small squad it is essential....

People talk about pushing on for top 6 as a reason to move the likes of Max on , which again is deluded in my opinion...it's the same people who had us to go down by and large....they say he isn't a captain but we currently have the best team spirit we have had for a few years but blantalanty won't accept Max may well be a key part of that...

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a load of tosh at the minute...people saying if we got an offer north of 40/45m is at the minute fantasy land....the offer we had from Napoli was close to 25m......which in my eyes isn't enough...

Off course big offers are different and off course for FFP we will need to accept some of them....but for a defender who has kicked every minute for us this season is isn't enough to replace him with ... especially when very soon we may have to replace Dawson.....people can keep chucking players in like Yerson and S Bueno but at the minute they have done nowt for us.....it's just as likely we may move either of them on in the summer to fund a replacement.....Max is one of those players our fan base takes for granted , just like they do or have with Sa and Semedo, players who have there moments granted but are available almost 100% of the time , with with a small squad it is essential....

People talk about pushing on for top 6 as a reason to move the likes of Max on , which again is deluded in my opinion...it's the same people who had us to go down by and large....they say he isn't a captain but we currently have the best team spirit we have had for a few years but blantalanty won't accept Max may well be a key part of that...
The same people who think max can play in a back 4 / high line is that how we push on for top 6 with our current system of play??

Interesting to see what people think for the future. We are in good hands with Hobbs

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The same people who think max can play in a back 4 / high line is that how we push on for top 6 with our current system of play??

Interesting to see what people think for the future. We are in good hands with Hobbs
Why the fascination with back 4 and high line....what's that all about.....we aye never gonna be a top 6 team like city.....we will always need to play an protective sort of system.....we aye big enough for constant front foot football.....

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why the fascination with back 4 and high line....what's that all about.....we aye never gonna be a top 6 team like city.....we will always need to play an protective sort of system.....we aye big enough for constant front foot football.....
That’s what I’m asking many fans want a back 4 and high line

I called for the back 3 for a long while we shouldn’t change what is working for us. Like you say we ain’t good enough to move away from it

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s what I’m asking many fans want a back 4 and high line

I called for the back 3 for a long while we shouldn’t change what is working for us. Like you say we ain’t good enough to move away from it
In terms of recruitment our centre backs have been a great success story but the reality is a kid from Maidenhead, a 3m aging player and 0.5m player from Portugal probably isn't going to get you to play a highline and get you top 4.....

That's not dishing the players I think all have done very well ....it's just staring a fact....look at the money villa have spent on centre backs in the last few seasons....

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
there’s still this huge assumption that there is a load of money in the game currently.

January shows this just is not the case!

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In terms of recruitment our centre backs have been a great success story but the reality is a kid from Maidenhead, a 3m aging player and 0.5m player from Portugal probably isn't going to get you to play a highline and get you top 4.....

That's not dishing the players I think all have done very well ....it's just staring a fact....look at the money villa have spent on centre backs in the last few seasons....

Money doesn't necessarily equate to success.

Would you swap any of their defenders for ours?

Our wing backs are 100x times better. CB's about even IMO

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Money doesn't necessarily equate to success.

Would you swap any of their defenders for ours?

Our wing backs are 100x times better. CB's about even IMO
No.....it wasn't what I meant.....it was more in response to the theory we need better than kilman for top 6......I'm perfectly happy with our current 3 centre backs.......as I said our centre back have been a massive success story...

Like most positions in the squad I'm undecided on the cover at the minute..

Last edited:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
there’s still this huge assumption that there is a load of money in the game currently.

January shows this just is not the case!
January is always a fairly dry month, because most teams spend what they can during the summer. A rolling three year period doesn't reset in January, so if you've spent your budget in the summer it's the same situation in January.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
January is always a fairly dry month, because most teams spend what they can during the summer. A rolling three year period doesn't reset in January, so if you've spent your budget in the summer it's the same situation in January.
absolutely, but if you look at the figures as a whole, there’s a clear decline in spending year on year.

£780m down to £96m for only 12 deals and Palace spent almost a third of that.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Having a really good season and is an excellent Captain and leader in the squad.

Very different to Coady in his leadership style but very well-liked and very much respected.

Keep.

Back
Top Bottom