Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Kevin Thelwell

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
This thread is full of conjecture and supposition dressed up as first hand knowledge about what goes on at the highest level at a top football club.

The only things we can be sure of is that Kevin Thelwell played a senior strategic role in the development of the sporting side of the club and is well respected by Fosun and throughout the game by people who have an understanding of his value.

To us he was the last link to the Morgan/Moxey era hence a legitimate scapegoat for anything we perceived to go wrong.

The most obvious stick to beat him with is transfers but we all know that isn’t simple. We wanted back up to our number 9 last window, the likes of Man U and Spurs also wanted a striker. None of us got what the fans would class as a successful signing yet We blames Thelwell without a thought about prevailing market conditions.

Regarding internal relationships we really have no idea how Nuno, Jeff, Thelwell, Marshall, Mendes work together as we’re not involved. My guess is that it’s as a team and some they win some they lose. Aside from the monopoly numbers in the transfer figures and players contract, they have to want to come, they have to be able to fit into Nuno’s system, they have to have the requisite technical ability and they have to have the right personality. Add to that the competition from other clubs and the influence of agents and it all gets pretty complex. Yet when we do t land that random rumour on Twitter it’s all Thelwell’s fault.

I know this is a fan’s bulletin board and is in reality a bit of fun and I’m not suggesting for one moment that Kevin Thelwell is the best in the business but the truth is none of us, and that includes Spiers, really have a Scooby what goes on, do we?

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This thread is full of conjecture and supposition dressed up as first hand knowledge about what goes on at the highest level at a top football club.

The only things we can be sure of is that Kevin Thelwell played a senior strategic role in the development of the sporting side of the club and is well respected by Fosun and throughout the game by people who have an understanding of his value.

To us he was the last link to the Morgan/Moxey era hence a legitimate scapegoat for anything we perceived to go wrong.

The most obvious stick to beat him with is transfers but we all know that isn’t simple. We wanted back up to our number 9 last window, the likes of Man U and Spurs also wanted a striker. None of us got what the fans would class as a successful signing yet We blames Thelwell without a thought about prevailing market conditions.

Regarding internal relationships we really have no idea how Nuno, Jeff, Thelwell, Marshall, Mendes work together as we’re not involved. My guess is that it’s as a team and some they win some they lose. Aside from the monopoly numbers in the transfer figures and players contract, they have to want to come, they have to be able to fit into Nuno’s system, they have to have the requisite technical ability and they have to have the right personality. Add to that the competition from other clubs and the influence of agents and it all gets pretty complex. Yet when we do t land that random rumour on Twitter it’s all Thelwell’s fault.

I know this is a fan’s bulletin board and is in reality a bit of fun and I’m not suggesting for one moment that Kevin Thelwell is the best in the business but the truth is none of us, and that includes Spiers, really have a Scooby what goes on, do we?
Great post, and should probably be the last word on this topic.

It won't be.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They agree on the profile of players they want. A list is drawn up. Different people will have different preferences from that list, but Nuno gets the final say.

If the profile is right, then i doubt Nuno would turn a player down. The only reason would be the quality of the player if one is better than the other. I dont believe for a second we looked at Olmo for example because we just dont play with that sort of player in our team.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spiers also saying Thelwell nurtured MGW and Doherty! Did he?

Like **** did he :D

Doherty by his own admission was overweight when Nuno arrived and Nuno's first question was regarding his weight.

Wolves star Matt Doherty ditched fizzy drinks and sweets to become a lean machine | Daily Mail Online

Coady most of us expected out the door with Wallace and Price et al there had been no suggestion of him playing in defence whatsoever..

Misty eyed revisionism from Mr Tim on that point.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I often wonder what would have happened had we signed Ighalo.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coady most of us expected out the door with Wallace and Price et al there had been no suggestion of him playing in defence whatsoever..

A lot of people could see Coady was a good player, he had already played in defence albeit at right back.

Although not many saw him playing as a sweeper, IIRC one or two had suggested it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like **** did he :D

Doherty by his own admission was overweight when Nuno arrived and Nuno's first question was regarding his weight.

Wolves star Matt Doherty ditched fizzy drinks and sweets to become a lean machine | Daily Mail Online

Misty eyed revisionism from Mr Tim on that point.
To be fair you should have said central defence when you were talking about Coady... l remember Shamberk playing Coady at fullback....

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A successful club will lose staff as they became attractive to others or nationally. To us as Wolves fans it’s a new experience and something we will have to get used to. For the majority of my years I cannot imagine someone approaching our head of sports medicine offering them another job, even if I wanted them to. similarly the people who recruited Jena Douwe or Jesus San Juan amongst others probably didn’t have people looking enviously at him. Even ‘the best in the business’ wasn’t head hunted.

We need to get used to it, have succession plans for all key roles and players so that any movement has the minimum of impact and perhaps even improves us. It will be a culture shock for us fans

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair you should have said central defence when you were talking about Coady... l remember Shamberk playing Coady at fullback....

Indeed. He did well there tbf.

Offered zero attackingly but got stuck in and I think the only player who really had him on toast was Knockaert which wasn't really a disgrace the way he played for Brighton when they went up.

Stunning goal line clearance v Forest too.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of people could see Coady was a good player, he had already played in defence albeit at right back.

Although not many saw him playing as a sweeper, IIRC one or two had suggested it.
If we had got 750,000 for Coady after Zenga left, there wouldn't have been many complaints on this forum.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If the profile is right, then i doubt Nuno would turn a player down.

You're oversimplifying a bit here, IMO. Profile is quite broad. For instance, Cav, Costa, Podence, Jota, even Traore, could all fit within a certain profile of player. Same as Jimenez and Bonatini. If we all looked at that list and were asked to choose, we'd all come up with a slightly different order of preference. Nuno is not any different in that. What is different is he's the one who gets final say.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but I thought I'd add it to this thread.

Steven Goff on Twitter
"Getting word Wolverhampton is considering an American, Barnsley CEO Dane Murphy, for front-office slot vacated by sporting dir Kevin Thelwell, who joined NY Red Bulls. Murphy, 33, was a technical director at Real Salt Lake, D.C. United before moving to England last summer. #mls"

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but I thought I'd add it to this thread.

Steven Goff on Twitter
"Getting word Wolverhampton is considering an American, Barnsley CEO Dane Murphy, for front-office slot vacated by sporting dir Kevin Thelwell, who joined NY Red Bulls. Murphy, 33, was a technical director at Real Salt Lake, D.C. United before moving to England last summer. #mls"

Really strange name to come up if it's true. He's got very little experience and seems to be doing a more combined technical director/ceo job at Barnsley. Only joined them about 6 months ago too.

*edit* this video he did when he joined Barnsley says he has links to South American talent. I guess that's an area Wolves will want to tap given our Spanish and Portuguese links.

Last edited:

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Steven Goff on Twitter
We could do with a great dane if he is the dogs *******s.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Steven Goff on Twitter
At least his name isnt skip or chip or some other stupid American name

Back
Top Bottom