Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Karl Henry on Refs

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
Karl talking out of his a hole again, not for the first time.

I ran the line for my lads team for a number of years, thankfully our lads played so deep so rarely had an offside decision to make except one incident I remember clearly when an opposition player hoofed the ball miles in the air in to our teams half, I checked the line and one of their lads was off as the ball was played but it was about 7 seconds before he actually became the next player to play the ball by which time about half the defending side had got back goal side. I stuck up my flag and had a hard time convincing even the ref that the lad was off, lots of waving of arms from players and parents ensued :laughing:

But on a more serious note as KH is unintentionally demonstrating its the coaches who think they are Pep bloody Guardiola who are the real problem, seen far more games ruined by mardy **** coaches than referees who for most part were excellent, especially the kids.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen refs at grassroots level who've done a better job than a few officials I could mention:
Robert Jones
Anthony Taylor
Andy Madley
Michael Oliver
Stuart Attwell
Peter Bankes
John Brooks
Craig Pawson
Tim Robinson
Paul Tierney
David Coote
Simon Hooper
Jarred Gillett
Chris Kavanagh
Michael Salisbury
Samuel Barrott
Thomas Bramall
Darren England
Josh Smith
Darren Bond
Tony Harrington
Robert Madley
Graham Scott

:)

Teddy Ruxpin

Groupie
Reaction score
I ended up reffing my lads friendly game at u11s as the ref hadn't made it and the manager new I reffed my lads rugby games. I was in jeans and a hoodie so hardly thrilled at the prospect. I ran the line a fair bit for them so I wasn't too bothered.

I must admit, totally different experience to be in the middle with the parents who were probably quite tame in reflection but got narky about a few decisions, the next thing the ball went quite obviously out for a corner at which I turned round to him and said I'm going to give that as a corner do you agree with that one?

Probably shouldn't have risen to it but I can't stand idiots at the best of times. I'm kind of glad that my lads concentrated on Rugby as I have to say whilst it's certainly not idiot free the amount of idiots on the sidelines at a football game is nauseating.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Some of his points I agree with however some of his points are ridiculous, Grassroots referees aren't meant to be professional referees the vast majority have no intention of becoming professional referees, there is already a shortage of referees in the junior/sunday league football, Karl's criticism won't help.

He makes more bad points than good in that post.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of his points I agree with however some of his points are ridiculous, Grassroots referees aren't meant to be professional referees the vast majority have no intention of becoming professional referees, there is already a shortage of referees in the junior/sunday league football, Karl's criticism won't help.

He makes more bad points than good in that post.

If he was talking about u15s/u16s you'd half understand it. But the idea that referees need to be monitored for u7s games is more than silly. Both my lads matches at that age were just 14 players charging about loving the game, it would have been rubbish to have a young ref forced to give proper decisions

Would better help the whole situation as they get older if clubs had to send representatives to do training to run the lines so at least you could trust in the decision making a bit more there. It's often not the refs that are the problem its one of the dads not paying attention and not being in line suddenly panicking and sticking up the flag when someones clean through

Reactions: Ian

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Heard today from my refs chat that he's reduced a young ref to tears this morning who was only doing his seventh ever game.

The bloke is a total ****er. Football would be better without people like him.

Wolf of Salop

Groupie
Reaction score
Heard today from my refs chat that he's reduced a young ref to tears this morning who was only doing his seventh ever game.

Read about it on twitter although he wasn't specifically named. It's obviously him though- I looked at the MJPL table and he's in something like 38th place. The way he goes on he sounds like he's pushing for European football! I hope the young referee is ok and the team are suspended, along with Karl being relieved of his duties. It would be a shame for the kids but the parents need to learn a lesson here too.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Read about it on twitter although he wasn't specifically named. It's obviously him though- I looked at the MJPL table and he's in something like 38th place. The way he goes on he sounds like he's pushing for European football! I hope the young referee is ok and the team are suspended, along with Karl being relieved of his duties. It would be a shame for the kids but the parents need to learn a lesson here too.
I dare to imagine what he's like coaching his kids. Nasty man.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1st game, 7th game or 701st game shouldn't matter.

Standards need to be higher across the board and this creche culture where criticism is frowned upon needs nipping in the bud.

If criticism makes you cry, then maybe refereeing ain't for you.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Standards need to be higher across the board and this creche culture where criticism is frowned upon needs nipping in the bud.

If you’re going to reduce a 15 year old to tears maybe you’re just an utter ****?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

Wow, seriously? Somehow suspect this might have been a bit more than some constructive advice after a game. This is just the sort of attitude that destroys young players and refs.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind but it’s the MJPL, it’s not even that great a level! If he was such a great coach he’d be at a league club! Loved him as a player but his out of football views, and his pathetic views on refs make me question the man himself

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Grow up, the ref was a 15 year old kid. It's child abuse. Hope you're happy excusing it.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess that he didn't quietly go up to the ref after the match to calmly and constructively give advice on how to improve in future.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dealt with Karl personally many moons ago nice guy, very respectful.

Seems to have got more political and more outspoken and not in a good way, since retirement.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, seriously? Somehow suspect this might have been a bit more than some constructive advice after a game. This is just the sort of attitude that destroys young players and refs.
My friends and I look back all misty eyed at the dog's abuse we took from coaches after bad performances. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but ****ing hell, the fluffy alternative world some want to create is just a bit cringe.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What a *****!
I'm imagine you must have known it all your first day at work?!...... or would you appreciate your boss screaming abuse at you for the entirety of your day?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a *****!
I'm imagine you must have known it all your first day at work?!...... or would you appreciate your boss screaming abuse at you for the entirety of your day?
Hahaha. when I ****ed up I'd expect to be told about it. Not patted on the bum and told "good job buddy" regardless of performance.

This creche culture has slowly but surely been seeping in to UK society. Rosettes for "taking part" FFS.

My nephew in the states needs a trophy cabinet for all his sporting "achievements". It's embarrassing and will create a generation of over confident uselessness.

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dealt with Karl personally many moons ago nice guy, very respectful.

Seems to have got more political and more outspoken and not in a good way, since retirement.
He's said on twitter the unamed ex-pro isn't him.

Think a few ppl put 2+2 together after his rant a few weeks back

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol. It's called criticism. We'll have a generation of soft lads if we continue to mollycoddle teenagers in every aspect of life.
Yes, let's go back to the good old days of corporal punishment of kids, complete dismissal of any mental health issue as being 'soft' and more.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol. It's called criticism. We'll have a generation of soft lads if we continue to mollycoddle teenagers in every aspect of life.
Meanwhile the biggest killer of males under 30 is currently suicide. I'm sure that your approach would help, not!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So ignore the shoddy performance? Because that's gonna benefit no one. Ever.
Firstly the "shoddy performance" view is one person's, very possibly biased, take. Secondly there is a bloody big difference between being criticised for your performance in something that you are being paid for and something that you have volunteered to do, particularly when without you or another volunteer the event can not proceed.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, let's go back to the good old days of corporal punishment of kids, complete dismissal of any mental health issue as being 'soft' and more.
There's a massive difference though isn't there? I missed the bit where Karl Henry had this lad set on a rack.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly the "shoddy performance" view is one person's, very possibly biased, take. Secondly there is a bloody big difference between being criticised for your performance in something that you are being paid for and something that you have volunteered to do, particularly when without you or another volunteer the event can not proceed.
Okay then, we'll just ignore poor officiating at grass roots and congratulate the volunteer refs with rosette's and medals regardless of performance.

I'm sure that will be helpful and not have any negative impact on the officiating of the future.

I'm gonna adopt the same strategy with my dogs. Every time they snarl, bark and lunge at other dogs on the park, I'll reward them with treats and tell them "good boy". I'm sure they'll grow to be adorable little fellas that I can trust to run around the park off lead and not bite dogs or children.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Okay then, we'll just ignore poor officiating at grass roots and congratulate the volunteer refs with rosette's and medals regardless of performance.

I'm sure that will be helpful and not have any negative impact on the officiating of the future.

I'm gonna adopt the same strategy with my dogs. Every time they snarl, bark and lunge at other dogs on the park, I'll reward them with treats and tell them "good boy". I'm sure they'll grow to be adorable little fellas that I can trust to run around the park off lead and not bite dogs or children.
Nah your ill-trained dogs will rightly be put down and you will rightly get a bloody big fine. Any more crap analogies?

Reactions: AW
Reaction score
i run the line for the team my lad plays for at u13, decent level. I try to give the striker the benefit as goals is what we want to see. Never fails to amaze me how someone who is nowhere near in line can tell me I'm wrong. I'll tell you something else as well, the little sh:ts on the pitch always have the gobby parent. I honestly don't know why refs put themselves through the abuse they receive, even at kids level.
The FA should introduce a fine system on the clubs for gobby parents

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score

Try not to have opinions you know nothing about. Many of us have experience KHs teams for years and know exactly why hes behaving the way he is now and its not acceptable for a gang of adults to set about a child (or train one like a dog for that matter). A grassroots football league (or society) is made up of many people and fortunately most dont think the way you do and expect people to go to a game of kids football and keep their big mouth shut. Theres always somebody who thinks they know better than everybody else, and theyre always "too busy" to have bothered actually learning any of the actual rules so they stand at the side talking rubbish getting on everybodys nerves.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Try not to have opinions you know nothing about. Many of us have experience KHs teams for years and know exactly why hes behaving the way he is now and its not acceptable for a gang of adults to set about a child (or train one like a dog for that matter). A grassroots football league (or society) is made up of many people and fortunately most dont think the way you do and expect people to go to a game of kids football and keep their big mouth shut. Theres always somebody who thinks they know better than everybody else, and theyre always "too busy" to have bothered actually learning any of the actual rules so they stand at the side talking rubbish getting on everybodys nerves.
Be a better ref, don't get shouted at. It's that simple.

Be a **** ref, get told about it.

Can't take criticism, don't be a ref.

19th Holer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Karl Henry thinks refereeing standards are poor maybe he ought to try it.

Back
Top Bottom