Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Juventus Board Resign - Uh oh

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing the fall out after the Super League Golden Goose was shot. Liverpool owners out, United owners pulling out.., now this.
It does feel like the bubble is straining for the overly-indulgent elite clubs, no doubt exacerbated by the pandemic. The Super League was the last game in town: committing to something so brazen and so overtly anti-competitive could be attributable to greed, but more likely to desperation.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Juventus caught up in allegations of cooking the books? That's not like them!
Their published accounts showed a £220million loss last year, the highest in their history.

This from a club whose president was one of the main figures in setting up the European Super League!
What a joke League that would have been. Based on what has happened to Juventus all the top European clubs would have gone bust!

W

WasStefan

Rats abandoning the sinking ship(s)

Certain European clubs (Spanish and Italian) are absolutely ****ed if the ESL doesn’t happen. They won’t be competitive financially without it- i read that Barca have sold 25% of their next 20 years of TV rights for a sum to keep them going over the next few years. Just madness imo.

Then you have the American’s selling Liverpool and United clearly looking to cash in on all time high club valuations.

The PL is becoming an ESL in all but name, there was a huge shift in the summer window of average club’s signing players normally well outside of their talent pool.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rats abandoning the sinking ship(s)

Certain European clubs (Spanish and Italian) are absolutely ****ed if the ESL doesn’t happen. They won’t be competitive financially without it- i read that Barca have sold 25% of their next 20 years of TV rights for a sum to keep them going over the next few years. Just madness imo.

Then you have the American’s selling Liverpool and United clearly looking to cash in on all time high club valuations.

The PL is becoming an ESL in all but name, there was a huge shift in the summer window of average club’s signing players normally well outside of their talent pool.
Dead right.

I’m still trying get my head around Chelsea being sold for £4billion !!!!

How on earth can a club be valued at 4 thousand million pounds?

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dead right.

It seems to be the going rate for top sports teams and franchises now. Denver Broncos in the NFL were recently sold for $4.65 billion.

Gone are the days when you used to be able to dream of buying a decent sports team with a lottery win.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be real, everyone knew the Super League was simply a cash grab to save the non-PL elites from bankrupting themselves as a result of overspending for years to try and keep up in European competition rather than working with what they have. Juve, Madrid and Barca have spent well beyond their means for years. I can understand them wanting a bigger slice of the pie, but to think that their wouldn't be a giant backlash to it just shows how out of touch these owners are.

Trying to 'Americanise' the sport was just a huge slap in the face to regular fans. God knows what'll happen when the Saudi's take over Man United and Liverpool.

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It seems to be the going rate for top sports teams and franchises now. Denver Broncos in the NFL were recently sold for $4.65 billion.

Gone are the days when you used to be able to dream of buying a decent sports team with a lottery win.

Mad considering the Broncos are an absolutle dumpster fire of a franchise

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mad considering the Broncos are an absolutle dumpster fire of a franchise
Doesn’t matter though does it?
Guaranteed to stay in the league, guaranteed similar levels of TV revenue, spending caps…merchandise can drop off when unsuccessful, but that’s it.
Which is why they wanted the ESL, so they could get a guaranteed £300m to get their finances in order, set spending limits so owners never have to put hand in pockets, then cream off the rest.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lottery prizes are catching up though, I read powerball has reached around $2 billion. :eek:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Dead right.

To be fair if you levelled the place (which would be my first pick) I reckon the land might be worth a fair slice of that.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dead right.

It wasn’t really 4bn. It was 2.5bn plus a commitment to spend 1.5bn developing their new stadium and improving the squad. Similar in principle to Sir Jack selling to Morgan, albeit on a far larger scale.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wasn’t really 4bn. It was 2.5bn plus a commitment to spend 1.5bn developing their new stadium and improving the squad. Similar in principle to Sir Jack selling to Morgan, albeit on a far larger scale.
2.5bn plus 1.5bn still adds up to 4bn Sussex!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2.5bn plus 1.5bn still adds up to 4bn Sussex!

I know, but the point is that the club wasn’t valued at 4bn. It was valued at 2.5bn, but bidders were also assessed on their commitment to spend on the club after purchasing it. In theory, once the stadium has been redeveloped and the squad improved, then the club may be worth 4bn.

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An emulation of the Rugby Union Premiership, how many of them would be out of business even if this league had gone ahead?

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair if you levelled the place (which would be my first pick) I reckon the land might be worth a fair slice of that.
The 4bn/2.5bn doesn't include the land nor even the "brand" name, simply a lease to continue playing football there and using the name whilst they play on the land. Quite remarkable really.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
The 4bn/2.5bn doesn't include the land nor even the "brand" name, simply a lease to continue playing football there and using the name whilst they play on the land. Quite remarkable really.
Cheers, I'm confused to be honest. As far as I can see (without getting too political) Chelsea have been built on money stolen from the Russian people. The asset was taken by the UK government and let's say the funds from the sale are used to defend the Ukrainians. So why aren't they just maximising the revenue rather than asking for guarantees of further investment?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheers, I'm confused to be honest. As far as I can see (without getting too political) Chelsea have been built on money stolen from the Russian people. The asset was taken by the UK government and let's say the funds from the sale are used to defend the Ukrainians. So why aren't they just maximising the revenue rather than asking for guarantees of further investment?

Because it wasn’t the government selling the club.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Because it wasn’t the government selling the club.

Cheers, eye well and truly off the ball on this. So Roman is now Portuguese as they still feel bad about the Spanish Inquisition. We froze all his assets including Chelsea, but still let him sell them in a way he saw fit as long as he donated the money to charities he picked? He asked for a big investment off field which will further reinforce their position in the top echelons of the PL which he bought them with his stolen millions by further increasing revenues. Tough life being a billionaire!

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It does feel like the bubble is straining for the overly-indulgent elite clubs, no doubt exacerbated by the pandemic. The Super League was the last game in town: committing to something so brazen and so overtly anti-competitive could be attributable to greed, but more likely to desperation.
they've all pushed themselves to the financial brink by assuming they could just take more money for themselves, even previously well run clubs like Barca.
Now they have nowhere to go, they all need to get out before the digging starts.
It's ironic, given these are the clubs who've continually inflated the transfer market to try and kill off competitors by putting the best players out of reach.

W

WasStefan

Massive tax chunk if paid as a lump sum, around 50%, the alternative is paid in installments over 30 years.
An interesting decision to make. :)
30 year’s interest free?

If $1bn winnings thats nearly $3m a week. No brainer

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder if they'll get relegated afew leagues like last time.

I hope so but then again I don't really care.

These greedy clubs have killed the purity of football and turned it into a cash cow circus totally out of step with the real world. Top level football has become so bloated and flabby

The harder they fall the better imo

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know some have been frustrated with Fosun, but we could have way way worse owners.
Totally agree the Saudis Newcastle got . Look at them X Y and Z . Shocking football and destined for relegation aren't they .

Back
Top Bottom