Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

JUNE RESTART?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have all seen signs that certain restrictions could possibly be eased in the coming weeks,yes i know we are far from out of the woods with this just yet,but there are definite signs that some things may just return to some form of normality by the end of May
The economic ramifications will at some point outrun the health concerns,thats absolutely certain
We have heard from some experts,that it may be based on age groups and geographic considerations,obviously that means older groups may have to stay isolated for longer in any viral hot spots
Does anyone think that may mean football,even behind closed doors,would be restarted by June?
Possibly age related crowds could attend,difficult to police i know,but possible
I cant see the lockdown situation being in place for much longer than another month in its present form,and that would put us in mid May,with further lifting coming relatively quickly after that if all goes well,i would presume
Economic pressures will push this crisis to a faster conclusion than seemed possible a few weeks back,maybe June is more in hope than expectation, but there are definite signs things will return sooner than we all believed

M

merseawolf

I think we have all seen signs that certain restrictions could possibly be eased in the coming weeks,yes i know we are far from out of the woods with this just yet,but there are definite signs that some things may just return to some form of normality by the end of May
The economic ramifications will at some point outrun the health concerns,thats absolutely certain
We have heard from some experts,that it may be based on age groups and geographic considerations,obviously that means older groups may have to stay isolated for longer in any viral hot spots
Does anyone think that may mean football,even behind closed doors,would be restarted by June?
Possibly age related crowds could attend,difficult to police i know,but possible
I cant see the lockdown situation being in place for much longer than another month in its present form,and that would put us in mid May,with further lifting coming relatively quickly after that if all goes well,i would presume
Economic pressures will push this crisis to a faster conclusion than seemed possible a few weeks back,maybe June is more in hope than expectation, but there are definite signs things will return sooner than we all believed
Love the optimism hope you are right.

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players. coaching staff, admin, officials and media will all have to have closer contact than is desirable even without a crowd. Until there's either treatment or vaccine any return to anything will be slow.

With this, just one infected person, undetected, will mean rapid infection rates and more lock downs. Unless we can find out how many have had it, what immunity exists and for how long, nobody's going to risk anything.

If we get to anything like 'normal' in six months it will be an achievement. Then the winter kicks in again with corresponding killers as flu as well as this one now.

Next year we will probably see a vaccine all being well and that's the time for normality to really return. Who knows? It might just peter out on it's own (herd immunity) but doubt it the way it's looking.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see football behind closed doors as possible in June. There is both economic and psychological pressure for something just to help lift the mood. Presumably a lot less none playing staff, pundits etc. about.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suspect June will also be possible if new cases peak during April, as forecasters currently believe is possible. Italy and Spain have now both passed their peaks. It’s taken just under 3 months for China to impose and lift the most restrictive measures, so that’s one indicator in favour of June here. Also, with large scale testing, including antibody, available in the UK from May, then authorities will have alternatives to a total lockdown. Normality no, but a limited reopening of the economy, yes I think that’s feasible. That should be sufficient to allow football to restart in some capacity such as behind closed doors or with very limited crowds.

Longer term, as restrictions are slowly lifted we will likely see further outbreaks but mass testing and surveillance should make it possible to contain these until either the virus dies out due to herd immunity or a vaccine is available for at least the most at risk groups. It will likely take a year or more before this pandemic really subsides globally.

Last edited:
S

ShropshireLad

Players will need at least two weeks to become match fit. If they’re to given little time to prepare then I suspect matches will be like training ones/pre-season friendlies. Players are entitled to a month’s holiday by contract - one wonders whether they’ll take the full quota but they’ll certainly want a couple of weeks to get away. After that they’ll need to get match fit again and this will eat into time before the next season can kick in.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
maybe they will either have to be tested or go into isolation before and or after a match then maybe you can then make it safe to play a game behind closed doors,
last thing we need though is reducing lockdown restrictions too much or too soon and seeing another rise in cases

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
The problem is once restrictions are partially lifted that will open the floodgates for many regarding everything and as the Medical expert said last night it is all very well demanding an exit strategy but in this dynamic situation things are changing day to day and once restrictions are lifted it may be impossible to re-instate them again.

Last edited:

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Players will need at least two weeks to become match fit. If they’re to given little time to prepare then I suspect matches will be like training ones/pre-season friendlies. Players are entitled to a month’s holiday by contract - one wonders whether they’ll take the full quote but they’ll certainly want a couple of weeks to get away. After that they’ll need to get match fit again and this will eat into time before the next season can kick in.
Holiday? o_O
Everyone I know are told to take their holidays now, we (working at home) are taking 3 extra days this weekend. My wife working at home, must take one day per week if they don't have any left, it's time off without pay.
Companies that are still going have reduced revenue and are trying to eke out the current backlog. Accrued vacation is costs on books so needs to be reduced.
Footballers want their months holiday?
Joke, they're on holiday now.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Holiday? o_O
Everyone I know are told to take their holidays now, we (working at home) are taking 3 extra days this weekend. My wife working at home, must take one day per week if they don't have any left, it's time off without pay.
Companies that are still going have reduced revenue and are trying to eke out the current backlog. Accrued vacation is costs on books so needs to be reduced.
I wouldn’t class being stuck in the house and not allowed out being on holiday.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was reading earlier on sky sports news that footballers contracts run on a cycle to the 30th of June so some could be free agents after that date. Don't think we have anyone who that could apply to. But it could be a factor in clubs wanting to complete any outstanding games before then.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think we will be starting in June whilst people continue to flout lockdown rules and our airports and borders are open to anyone coming from anywhere with no need go and self isolate before entering general population. This is the softest lockdown in the World. China have lifted lockdown but still have stricter measures in place than we do in lockdown. They have a red of green QR Code which everyone must have and display as well as submit to temperature screening. In Britain the big brother objecting brigade object to any police attempt to enforce this so called lockdown means we will be in the grip of this I believe way past June.

S

ShropshireLad

Holiday? o_O
Hardly!o_O

Try reading my post again. We all skim read at times and misunderstand.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There are people sick people dying, lives disrupted which may never return to as it was, and "in my dreams?"
Worrying about missing holiday? Selfish beyond words.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They're talking of under 30s being the first to have restrictions eased.

We could be starting off without Patricio and Moutinho !

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve been working from home since the week before the lockdown. I’m more busy than normal and working longer hours but am saving time on the commute. I’m still on full pay but we’ve been given clear guidance to take vacation pro rata to the months in the year so that we don’t accumulate time off to take after the lock down is lifted. Not ideal but hardly the end of the world. I would expect footballers to be in much the same boat so would expect them to be taking most of the summer vacation now and have a shorter break before the new season starts.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
EFL have told clubs to send their players on holiday now with a view to start training mid may-they say there will be no time after that for holidays as the plan if it gets government approval is to restart in June and go straight into new season .

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they can start behind closed doors .....wonder if it would be possible to cover the South Bank and S Bull Lower & North Bank Lower with flags , the club Tifos, plus flags left by fans at a point at the stadium to be laid out over seats . May be no fans but at least they'll know we are with them in some way

Edit...just realised how could we get them there !!

Last edited:

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it will be a miracle to be playing in September, June isn't even a possibility.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Daft as it seems until footballers stop spitting there can be no football till the virus is gone!

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"The economic ramifications will at some point outrun the health concerns,thats absolutely certain"

Not any more they won't

Closest you'll get is everything resuming without loads of stuff we take for granted, eg mass gatherings in football

S

ShropshireLad

I'm not pant wetting, I'm just angry at short sighted selfish attitudes.
What short-sighted selfish attitudes?

All I wrote was that players are contractually entitled to four weeks holiday which is why some come back 2 weeks late when they’ve been away on international duty. As I said, perhaps they’ll wave two weeks (but perhaps not - we’ll see). However, what they’re going through now is no holiday and they’ll deserve some time off to themselves away from it all.

Nobody can expect them to come back from this and play at their best and no reasonable person can expect them to not have a break once the season is over before the next one begins. They need a break to refresh themselves in order to give the best of themselves.

Who is the one with short-sighted selfish attitudes?

OscillatingWildly

Reaction score
I was reading earlier on sky sports news that footballers contracts run on a cycle to the 30th of June so some could be free agents after that date. Don't think we have anyone who that could apply to. But it could be a factor in clubs wanting to complete any outstanding games before then.

Ruddy and Kilman (though we probably have an option on the latter) are the only two first teamers who are out of contract. Jordan Graham and Phil Ofosu-Ayeh also have expiring deals but I have as much chance of playing for Wolves in 2020 as they do.

Back
Top Bottom