Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jota Not Cutting It

L

long ball man

This is a conundrum for Nuno. We all know Adama's been immense this season and almost has to play. BUT then the 3-4-3 formation means Jota plays a wee bit too wide for his liking, although for the life of me cant quite work out why he struggles (take his last goal tonight when he cut in from wide left). So what does Nuno do? Some have suggested Neto in behind Jota and Jimi but then where does that leave Adama? Sort of a nice problem for Nuno to have and try to solve.

Right Wing Back.

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Jota does seem to have lengthy spells off form, mainly due to injury though, I think it takes him longer than most to get back into rhythm. He had a spell late on in the Championship where he was off form after an injury and at the start of last season but once he gets back into full match fitness there's not many better in the Premier League.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quite a few saying Jotas first was a deflection,ive seen the replays several times and i think its a clean strike
Second definitely off the defenders boot but would have gone in lower anyway and his third was class

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is a conundrum for Nuno. We all know Adama's been immense this season and almost has to play. BUT then the 3-4-3 formation means Jota plays a wee bit too wide for his liking, although for the life of me cant quite work out why he struggles (take his last goal tonight when he cut in from wide left). So what does Nuno do? Some have suggested Neto in behind Jota and Jimi but then where does that leave Adama? Sort of a nice problem for Nuno to have and try to solve.

I think next step is try and retrain Traore again as #10. It would mean having someone with next to no off the ball nous or movement near the middle of the park, but the way he can take the ball in tight situations is just what you need in that position.

Just have him parked in that spot permanently, let Diogo and Raul press when we’re defending, they’re better at it. Then give it to Adama, no one can legally take the ball off him, allowing those 2 to get in attacking positions.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
If he can transfer his Europa League form now into the League he'll be at full tilt again.

In Europa League he's joint top scorer, second in the player rankings and was voted player of the week. Pretty damn good in my eyes, think about it for a minute, and he plays for us!

M

merseawolf

I love this about Jota. On the pitch he comes across as a complete nightmare and wind up merchant. I love he has that edge about him.
Just saying on another thread about the incident last night. Jota has a sly kick at him that obviously wound him up. Needs to be careful when on the edge of losing it but love that nasty streak.

fleck1

Reaction score
Can't not like him, he has that edge about him loves the scrap. If he could just avoid the niggly injuries that hold him back and have him in and out of the side Im sure we would see the best of him more often. I feel he plays better in a two rather than out on the left of a three though

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is we're all singing his praises but then he'll go 3 months without a goal. Then another hattrick.
Its strange that he really doesn't cut it in a 343, but then we move to 352 and then he's on fire...just like last season. We're looking to bring new strikers or wide attacking forwards in so we can change a game....but we've already got 1 of each, Jota and Traore.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it's easy to forget sometimes that when we play 343 he (and Adama) are very much wingers, attacking wingers yes, or inside forwards at best, but I think we sometimes forget that the goalscoring expectation on Jota isn't the anywhere near the same as in the 352, quite a lot less for what we possibly expect (I certainly do when we're in the heat of the game). We say he plays better in a 2, and I agree he does to a degree, but what we're really saying is that he scores more... which he should as he's very much a striker in that formation.. it's hard to quantify this kind of thing but I'd even go as far as saying he's expected to score about 50% less in the 343... if he gets above that ratio he's doing very very well

Watching the game back again this afternoon and he drops back so deep in the 343, works very hard for the team and has far more defensive responsibility in that formation, he's playing just in front of Jonny most of the time protecting our weak spot behind the wing backs and cutting out the supply, this is vital to our defensive system as pretty much every side we play thinks that's how they can get at us, and Jota is a big part of why they can't, and then has to spring forward and score goals. He has to work just as hard as the wing backs to be a presence at both ends of the pitch

He has a freedom his form has allowed in the Europa league and away from the shackles of the premier league and without that weight on his shoulders, he's banging them in because he's a player where confidence and the psychological aspects of the game are also so so important. While we play 343 and reap all the benefits of playing that way (like Adama's form) Jota will not score as many overall, anywhere near as many, but I'm quite happy for what he's doing for the team and will chip in with the odd goal, in the same way that Doherty has to sacrifice a lot of his game for 343

Personally I love that we can switch between the 2 up front to suit the flow of the game, and having someone like Jota who effortlessly switches from the 3 to the 2 is absolutely vital, if fact no other forward player we have can do it as well (Adama, Neto, Podence are not quite as comfortable in the 2 and Raul must always be the middle man). He's a key player to how we play and is just a little bit of consistency (and confidence) away from being all that he can be, which is one of the very best forward players in Europe

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know he does a lot off the ball especially in a 343, but he loses the ball so much and makes so many wrong decisions with the ball. But then looks class in a 352. It's like 2 completely different players! To the degree that I'm not sure I'd start him in a 3 but looks world class in a 2 next to Jiminez!!

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shamefully taken directly from the excellent Swedewolves forum..copyright MBengtsson.

Jotas goal scoring return since October.

That is quite strange.

M

merseawolf

I love it that all the 'with hindsight' merchants are out in force after last night! Jota and Jimenez work well together; perhaps the answer is to use Traore as an impact sub on 60 minutes?
So great to at last have some options for formation and players. Be great to see how Nuno works it during games and picking starting 11’s. Thought last night was perfect game management by Nuno. The doom and gloom merchants must be gutted.

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
player of the europa week .
POTW

Gave me goosebumps. Actually grown to love that Europa League tune and some cracking finishes from Jota there despite the deflections.
On his day he is my favourite Wolves player he's that good to watch.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s nothing to do with systems. Systems don’t dictate balls bouncing off him like he’s rubber or poor dribbles into blind alleys. He’s had plenty of chances to score playing in a front 3 he just hasn’t been clinical.

Last night was the Jota we know he is capable of. The difference was he took his chances.

Keith maniac

Groupie
Reaction score
What a weird post.
“End of” - not even a sentence, what an idiot!
What’s the better alternative? Come on, nail your colours to the mast; or are you hedging you’re bets in case you’ve got it wrong.
People like you are what make village idiots seem normal.
I was quoting the OP. Richardhead!

Keith maniac

Groupie
Reaction score
Sorry “buddy” but I am perfectly happy with the way I articulated my point thank you. I like Jota and have never said I would want to see him leave, on the contrary, but he is out of form and in the short term better alternatives are available. End of.
This one.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jota does seem to have lengthy spells off form, mainly due to injury though, I think it takes him longer than most to get back into rhythm. He had a spell late on in the Championship where he was off form after an injury and at the start of last season but once he gets back into full match fitness there's not many better in the Premier League.
Exactly how I see it. Like Rooney used to be it takes him a few games to play himself into form

Back
Top Bottom