Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jose Sa

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know why we aren't trying to hi-jack Rui Silva's move from Granada to Betis. Good keeper, experienced (you have to be behind Granada's defence) and a good age (27).

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know why we aren't trying to hi-jack Rui Silva's move from Granada to Betis. Good keeper, experienced (you have to be behind Granada's defence) and a good age (27).
Because he's already signed a pre-contract with them, deals done

dnf14

Reaction score
There's supposedly a €30m break clause in his pre-contract.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think Rui is shocking at crosses and high balls. He virtually never comes for crosses, particularly set pieces and struggles to get out of his 6 yard box. Burnley this season and away last season. Goals and a penalty that a commanding keeper would have prevented. A commanding keeper would have come for the ball that Doherty handled and wiped out all comers on the way (legitimately).
As a keeper, Rui is an introvert. He's completely unspectacular and does the minimum that he needs to do to keep the ball out of the net. Rui won't come charging through a bunch of players to claim a cross if there's a decent chance of him making a mistake and not getting it.

If there's a ball into the 6-yard box, from what I've seen Rui is quite capable of claiming it well but coming to claim outside of that is risky, which in my opinion is why he doesn't do it.

To be honest, I've seen very few keepers in the recent generation who will do this or, more specifically are capable of doing this. That's why it is applauded when it happens because it happens so infrequently. I don't know whether it isn't coached anymore because the role of the keeper has evolved over the last 10-15 years.

I contrast Rui with Pickford, who's very athletic and capable of spectacular saves but is very highly strung, can be rash and his decision-making suffers which is why he makes too many errors for me.

The ideal keeper would be somewhere in between with Pickford's athleticism and natural ability but with Rui's temperament and calmness.

I still maintain that we used to have this in Matt Murray, who I genuinely think would have been one of if not the best in the world had injuries not taken their toll quite early on.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a keeper, Rui is an introvert. He's completely unspectacular and does the minimum that he needs to do to keep the ball out of the net. Rui won't come charging through a bunch of players to claim a cross if there's a decent chance of him making a mistake and not getting it.

If there's a ball into the 6-yard box, from what I've seen Rui is quite capable of claiming it well but coming to claim outside of that is risky, which in my opinion is why he doesn't do it.

To be honest, I've seen very few keepers in the recent generation who will do this or, more specifically are capable of doing this. That's why it is applauded when it happens because it happens so infrequently. I don't know whether it isn't coached anymore because the role of the keeper has evolved over the last 10-15 years.

I contrast Rui with Pickford, who's very athletic and capable of spectacular saves but is very highly strung, can be rash and his decision-making suffers which is why he makes too many errors for me.

The ideal keeper would be somewhere in between with Pickford's athleticism and natural ability but with Rui's temperament and calmness.

I still maintain that we used to have this in Matt Murray, who I genuinely think would have been one of if not the best in the world had injuries not taken their toll quite early on.
Totally agree on Murray. I don’t know whether it’s coached less or whether expectations have changed. In ‘70s and ‘80s it was the common distinction between British/English keepers and keepers from other nations. The latter were good shot stoppers but would punch rather than catch and invariably commanded their box differently. With the advent of more foreign keepers that is now the trend.

regarding Pickford he looks like he’s consumed Colombian Marching Powder he’s so hyper active which is never good.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He could certainly have been England's number one for all tournaments from 2006 through the McClaren, Capello, Hodgson eras. Unfortunately, like Lescott, he would have had to have left Wolves swiftly after our relegation in 2004 to achieve this.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
He could certainly have been England's number one for all tournaments from 2006 through the McClaren, Capello, Hodgson eras. Unfortunately, like Lescott, he would have had to have left Wolves swiftly after our relegation in 2004 to achieve this.
Agreed. We'd never have kept hold of him. He was way too good for where we were really.

D

Deleted member yltz11841

gives a much better idea than the last video further up in the thread as it does have some other aspects apart from just saves.
Obviously youtube can make anyone look good but it seems a decent video
Music as poor as ever though.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

gives a much better idea than the last video further up in the thread as it does have some other aspects apart from just saves.
Obviously youtube can make anyone look good but it seems a decent video
Music as poor as ever though.
Yeah you could probably make a similar video of every keeper who's ever played but from the limited footage there he looks decent under crosses and high balls. General handling is OK but not outstanding and he's pretty good in one-on-one situations as he's quick off his line and spreads his body well. His starting position isn't too far out either so he's free to use his hands more which I like.

Couldn't tell anything about his distribution or shot stopping really as there wasn't enough footage.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah you could probably make a similar video of every keeper who's ever played but from the limited footage there he looks decent under crosses and high balls. General handling is OK but not outstanding and he's pretty good in one-on-one situations as he's quick off his line and spreads his body well. His starting position isn't too far out either so he's free to use his hands more which I like.

Couldn't tell anything about his distribution or shot stopping really as there wasn't enough footage.
From those clips the one thing that bothers me is the amount of times the ball bounces off him into dangerous areas after a’routine’ save. Is most high profile mistake was for Porto vs RB Leipzig a few years ago where he did exactly that and Leipzig scored at the second time of asking.

Having said that if you type in Ruddy’s mistakes while montages appear.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was the score in the man City game incidentally.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

From those clips the one thing that bothers me is the amount of times the ball bounces off him into dangerous areas after a’routine’ save. Is most high profile mistake was for Porto vs RB Leipzig a few years ago where he did exactly that and Leipzig scored at the second time of asking.

Having said that if you type in Ruddy’s mistakes while montages appear.
He nearly chucked in Aubameyang free kick into the net against Arsenal like that, again not writing him off and not judging any player based on highlights least of all a keeper.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I tend to agree with your last statement. How many more points would we have won or lost had Ruddy been in goal last season? I doubt there would be much in it tbh. Patricio had a poor season imo last year and his kicking is not great. If we can save some money on the GK that should hopefully give us more for more pressing areas of the team - CB and Cmf.
Well you keep moaning about taking the FA cup seriously, if Rui had played the semi-final we win, simple.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course we could argue with Lescott and Murray playing we may not have been relegated.....

D

Deleted member 11332

Wrong comparison as Ruddy is very prone to an error. A good keeper can add immense value to a team, particularly one that dominates his box and comes for crosses as it hides a multitude of weaknesses in Centre Backs and Full backs. Think Martinez at Molineux, we lost he was MoM. Think Murray in Mick’s first season, we’d win games where for 85 minutes it was him versus the oppo. A keeper like Murray or Stowell (before injury) have a massive benefit because, teams make their crosses deeper as they know anything penalty spot on is likely to be the keepers. It allows the Centre Backs to play further forward with a keeper behind who isn’t tied to their line. Good distribution is critical for counter attacks, Murray vs Newcastle or Ruddy vs Leeds as two good examples where good quick distribution directly led to goals.

Going cheapskate on a goalkeeper is a false economy.

Those are rare now. Hardly any come for crosses. Murray used to come to the penalty spot and claim them.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Sa
Semedo-Boly-Ferro-RAN
Traore-Vitinha-Oliviera- Guedes
Jimenez-Vinicius

On the basis of transfermarkt/gestifute and no actual knowledge of the newcomers!

Don't let anyone say I'm not ITK ever again if this happens!

OK I know it would probably the most predictable signing of the summer!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Special trait in FIFA 21 - Comes for crosses

No idea if true in real life, but for all Patricios obvious qualities, that certainly would make for a nice change.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its difficult to judge with most keepers though. Any errors are magnified and the good stuff forgotten. Sam Johnston played for England the other day, yet generally Albion fans hate him.

JayStringer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well you keep moaning about taking the FA cup seriously, if Rui had played the semi-final we win, simple.

I agree on that. Rui would have saved Deloufeu's looping shot.

For the overall conversation: I love Rui. I'd like him to stay. But I'm also not convinced he suits attacking football. He stays on his line and we all know he's not the best at distribution. I believe Sa is more of a modern sweeper keeper type, which would fit an attacking team better.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree on Murray. I don’t know whether it’s coached less or whether expectations have changed. In ‘70s and ‘80s it was the common distinction between British/English keepers and keepers from other nations. The latter were good shot stoppers but would punch rather than catch and invariably commanded their box differently. With the advent of more foreign keepers that is now the trend.

regarding Pickford he looks like he’s consumed Colombian Marching Powder he’s so hyper active which is never good.
That Man City keeper who played for England was the same too.

Must be playing behind Stones that makes keepers act like jonesing Coke addicts

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Its difficult to judge with most keepers though. Any errors are magnified and the good stuff forgotten. Sam Johnston played for England the other day, yet generally Albion fans hate him.
They really are thick. Surely top 2 best and saleable player....

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I can gather nowhere near as good a shot stopper as Prime Rui but probably better at commanding his penalty area and kicking.
Let's be realistic, he's not as good as prime Rui but that's probably not what we had last season and as he has 1 year on his contract and presumably no intention of extending, then a swop and a bit of money made isn't such a bad deal.

Last edited:

stuj4z

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the comments on here are downright ridiculous.
When we got promoted I wanted us to sign Sa. I never expected Rui to be available.
Nevertheless, this is a good deal all round.
Patricio gets a swansong in a less physical league, we get almost all of our money back on him and get a great goalkeeper who is only 28.
Anyone who has seen Olympiakos in Europe and nor just against us should know what a good keeper he is.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of the comments on here are downright ridiculous.
When we got promoted I wanted us to sign Sa. I never expected Rui to be available.
Nevertheless, this is a good deal all round.
Patricio gets a swansong in a less physical league, we get almost all of our money back on him and get a great goalkeeper who is only 28.
Anyone who has seen Olympiakos in Europe and nor just against us should know what a good keeper he is.
Come on man - that’s logic and common sense. That kind **** isn’t welcome on here.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone who tries to attempt to say that Rui for Sa is a decent upgrade or even like for like has completely lost their marbles

Rui is a legend of the game you won't find anyone who won't say that however if he wants to leave there are no keepers of his level we could attract.

You also have to factor in what Lage's style of play might require from the goalkeeper, Rui is a very traditional goalkeeper but Lage has his teams press meaning we will need a keeper more comfortable charging out if need be which isn't Rui's game but may be apart of Jose Sa's.

Also all the stuff on here about him not making the national side. Patricio and Lopes get in every time regardless of form just like Pepe/Fonte/Moutinho/Ronaldo due to experience so there is 1 spot for any other portugese keeper to try and force themselves in, it was between Rui Silva and Jose Sa for that spot however Silva had just had the best season of his career with Granada and the europa league run they had. Jose Sa missed out because playing for Olympiacos isn't deemed as impressive as what Silva had done this season.

JayStringer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone who tries to attempt to say that Rui for Sa is a decent upgrade or even like for like has completely lost their marbles

Most keepers in the world are a downgrade on Rui. There's a small group of elite goalkeepers above him, and then the vast vast majority of goalkeepers below him. There's a statue of him in Portugal.

But if he does want to move on, we can't sign one of those elite group, so we need to find one from the latter batch who best fit our needs.

Back
Top Bottom