Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

JONZY54- Ref Watch v West Ham

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right decision by the laws of the game, as much as we may not like. He wasn't as bad as I expected him to be.

Not sure why our fans think he could have ignored the offside law because Fabianski wouldn't have got there but that's really not how it works

Blocking the Keeper's vision is interfering, regardless of whether we think he's getting to the ball or not. It's in black and white.

Some of you lot just don't know the laws let's be honest.
As GON said people with a high level of football knowledge know that goal should have stood

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it’s a stretch to say VAR / officiating has cost us 10 points, as some of the decisions were made where there was still plenty of time left in the match, so no absolute guarantee the score would have remained the same.

However, from the top of my head, Sheff united, Fulham, then yesterday, we were cheated out of a point with pretty much literally the very last kick of the game. Throw in the non penalty at United and that’s, at an absolute minimum 3, arguably 4, guaranteed points we have been denied. The same as what Forest have been deducted.

What an absolute shambles

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think it’s a stretch to say VAR / officiating has cost us 10 points, as some of the decisions were made where there was still plenty of time left in the match, so no absolute guarantee the score would have remained the same.

However, from the top of my head, Sheff united, Fulham, then yesterday, we were cheated out of a point with pretty much literally the very last kick of the game. Throw in the non penalty at United and that’s, at an absolute minimum 3, arguably 4, guaranteed points we have been denied. The same as what Forest have been deducted.

What an absolute shambles
3 non-penalties - Newcastle, Sheff Utd and Fulham given and not overturned. Fulham sending off. United apology. Luton penalty off body onto arm, yesterday. Coufal assault on Bellegarde. Think I’m missing one.

Newcastle - 2 points
Sheff Utd - 1
Fulham - 1 (at least)
United - 1
West Ham 1 point
Luton - 2 points

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blocking the Keeper's vision is interfering, regardless of whether we think he's getting to the ball or not. It's in black and white.

Beg to differ.The relevant law was put up on the screen on last night's MoTD. The player is offside if he is preventing the opposition player (the goalkeeper in this case) from playing the ball. In this case he was not preventing anybody, as the goalkeeper was nowhere near the ball, couldn't have played it and didn't attempt to. Fabianski himself didn't protest, he just mouthed off at the defenders for poor marking. No West Ham player protested either as far as I could see. The MoTD team of Lineker, Wright and Dublin were unanimous in their verdict that the law had been misapplied.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beg to differ.The relevant law was put up on the screen on last night's MoTD. The player is offside if he is preventing the opposition player (the goalkeeper in this case) from playing the ball. In this case he was not preventing anybody, as the goalkeeper was nowhere near the ball, couldn't have played it and didn't attempt to. Fabianski himself didn't protest, he just mouthed off at the defenders for poor marking. No West Ham player protested either as far as I could see. The MoTD team of Lineker, Wright and Dublin were unanimous in their verdict that the law had been misapplied.
The law needs clarifying or updating then because that isn't how it's explained to referees throughout the pyramid. I remember doing my course 10 years ago and the GK's eyeline being spoken about then, and since our player moves across the GK as the ball is played forward then I assumed he would be classed as interfering. What a mess.

All in all, I'm now officially confused. PGMOL need to issue a statement with an explanation.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The law needs clarifying or updating then because that isn't how it's explained to referees throughout the pyramid. I remember doing my course 10 years ago and the GK's eyeline being spoken about then, and since our player moves across the GK as the ball is played forward then I assumed he would be classed as interfering. What a mess.

All in all, I'm now officially confused. PGMOL need to issue a statement with an explanation.
TBF the MoTD pundits also admitted that the wording of the law was now confusing (apparently it has been recently changed) but still maintained that the goal should have stood. If that law was applied like it was yesterday, hundreds of goals a season scored at corners would be ruled out.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
TBF the MoTD pundits also admitted that the wording of the law was now confusing (apparently it has been recently changed) but still maintained that the goal should have stood. If that law was applied like it was yesterday, hundreds of goals a season scored at corners would be ruled out.
How much do you wanna bet that next week exactly the same thing happens and a goal gets given. The laws are blurry and in the case of the PL, applied by idiots.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nice weekend at Swansea v Rotherham I predict as punishment for Harringtons utter incompetence.

Helps us not one iota . Still absolutely fuming . That’s at least 8 points we have been denied by shocking officiating and VAR.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
Nice weekend at Swansea v Rotherham I predict as punishment for Harringtons utter incompetence.

Helps us not one iota . Still absolutely fuming . That’s at least 8 points we have been denied by shocking officiating and VAR.
I make it potentially 11!

Man Utd (A)- Clear penalty not given in added time. Possibly 1 point.
Luton (A)- Penalty given against us for a handball that wasn’t. 2 points.
Newcastle (H)- Penalty to Newcastle which was an appalling decision in a 2-2 draw. 2 points.
Sheff Utd (A)- Terrible last minute penalty against us. 1 point.
Fulham (A)- Where to start! Two penalties given to them which weren’t. Two red cards missed which would have meant playing the last 15 minutes against 9 men. Maybe 3 points?!
Man Utd (H)- Another penalty not given after Onana clatters a player. 1 point.
West Ham (H)- Awful decision to disallow last minute equaliser. 1 point.

I know it’s all ifs and buts but come on; this isn’t just incompetence at this point is it?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Newcastle (H)- Penalty to Newcastle which was an appalling decision in a 2-2 draw. 2 points.
Fulham (A)- Where to start! Two penalties given to them which weren’t. Two red cards missed which would have meant playing the last 15 minutes against 9 men. Maybe 3 points?!

I know it’s all ifs and buts but come on; this isn’t just incompetence at this point is it?
GON needs to end this season playing clips of all these decisions - highlight the points dropped - the ££££ costed us in place positions - and then tell the world PGMOL are a corrupt bunch of ****s and sign off for the year

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And that explains why I would rather pay £10 to watch the local team where players are more honest and referees give decisions in a fair and neutral manner.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Zaniolo blocked Citys keepers vision for villa's goal in the 4-1 result from an offside posistion which resulted in a goal.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How much do you wanna bet that next week exactly the same thing happens and a goal gets given. The laws are blurry and in the case of the PL, applied by idiots.
Then that utter charlatan Webb will try to justify the inconsistency. At least Clattenberg can't do any harm clowning around on Gladiators.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should announce a press conference and show a montage of the **** ups by these officials this season against us. It would be an eye opener. No other club has suffered as much as us this season. I make it at least ten points lost. It is an absolute scandal when you think about it and it cannot be allowed to continue. A club needs to make a stand sooner or later.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Zaniolo blocked Citys keepers vision for villa's goal in the 4-1 result from an offside posistion which resulted in a goal.

The only consistency in officiating in this crap league is that we’re consistently at the receiving end of poor and unfair decisions.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the last point is probably the most important.

There is a gray zone in the most contentious areas of offside, handballs and tackling. Efforts to clarify this gray zone tend to often make things less clear.

In this case, calling offside as player interfering with play just opens a can of worms for every corner or long throw in or free kick. The goalkeeper is being impeded and restricted in 99.9% of cases, so should all the goals from corners and long throw ins and free kicks then be ruled out. The problem is easy to see.

Again in this case, the goalkeeper has no restriction in his vision as the ball is coming from his right side. It is only in the very last micro-second that one can argue there is some restriction on sight. But Kilman is ahead of Chirewa so that is hard to argue with conviction.

From the viewpoint that the attacker should get the benefit of the doubt in situations like this, then it is a clear mistake. By the letter of the law, then it is in the gray zone.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should announce a press conference and show a montage of the **** ups by these officials this season against us. It would be an eye opener. No other club has suffered as much as us this season. I make it at least ten points lost. It is an absolute scandal when you think about it and it cannot be allowed to continue. A club needs to make a stand sooner or later.

That’s actually not a bad idea - if the club has no intention of taking legal action. Invite all the usual media to attend, and put up the material on our social media feeds so it can be shared. The FA will potentially charge us with bringing the game into disrepute, and some other clubs fans will accuse us of sour grapes, but it will be deeply embarrassing for Webb and his merry band of idiots, and will prompt questions about competence and bias.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They like them blurry Jade.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course they do, so they can worm around the inconsistency. Like bloody politicians.
To be fair to politicians (that is a bloody rare statement for me) l would say, having worked for HMG for over thirty years, that is because there are very very few black and white situations. Shades of grey situation inevitably involve ambiguities and inconsistencies.

JadeWolf

Reaction score
To be fair to politicians (that is a bloody rare statement for me) l would say, having worked for HMG for over thirty years, that is because there are very very few black and white situations. Shades of grey situation inevitably involve ambiguities and inconsistencies.
It’s not an easy job, but people want transparency and honesty. I’d have far more respect for the Pgmol if they came out and said “yeah, fair cop, we messed this one up” rather than “oh yeah, erm, well, but, in the opinion of the referee, blah blah”.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s not an easy job, but people want transparency and honesty. I’d have far more respect for the Pgmol if they came out and said “yeah, fair cop, we messed this one up” rather than “oh yeah, erm, well, but, in the opinion of the referee, blah blah”.
I suspect that they have had legal advice that doing so would open them to potential litigation.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The onfield decision was originally a goal.

Referee gave it and there was no linesman’s flag. No protests whatsoever from West Ham players or David Moyes. MOTD pundits agreed it was a goal and Wrighty said he was gutted for us.

Oh, wait a minute, some jobsworth named Tim Robinson in a studio 100 odd miles away, says check the TV monitor. ‘It’s Wolves again and they’re used to it’, crossed my mind!

Having attended 100’s, maybe 1000’s of matches and watched as many on TV, I have never seen a goal disallowed in those circumstances, not one, abroad or in this country, domestic or international.

Has any body else?

Last edited:

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can't think of one other incident ever where a goal scored with one touch directly from a corner has been disallowed for offside because of an attacking player who happens to be in an "offside" position while being near the keeper from the initial corner.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did we get this many bad decisions before Fosun took over?

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep

Would rather he left football decisions and talk to those involved in football to be honest, then we wouldn’t be talking about a decision like this
Think VAR transcends on the pitch matters though in all fairness. I’m glad he has spoke out, that’s actually a really powerful speech tbf, especially given some of the other noises the last couple weeks.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think VAR transcends on the pitch matters though in all fairness. I’m glad he has spoke out, that’s actually a really powerful speech tbf, especially given some of the other noises the last couple weeks.
True. But he’s firmly at fault for this season capitulation and needs sacking

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

With you Jade - fwiw the ones which really annoyed me were the 3 penalties where we didn’t touch them and the fell over like a sack of spuds - Newcastle, Sheff U and Fulham. Ref gave them and VAR said not changing. Don’t get that.

I can just about understand logic of “not clear and obvious so stay as is” but in which case Fulham 2nd penalty and yesterday should have not been recommend to be overturned by VAR.

Guaranteed PGMOL will justify yesterday but ignore it moving forward. Just be consistent - it’s not difficult!

Yesterday was more about losing our way in 2nd half than VAR.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Even if we take it ultra cautious and call it, say, 7 points it takes us 6th above Utd.

All ifs and buts as I’m sure other clubs can point to this sort of thing as well but I don’t think it’s a stretch at all to say these decisions are likely to be the difference between us being in the European race and playing out a mid table season.

Back
Top Bottom