Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jonny

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Horses for courses. Resting tired legs, keeping three players happy rather than two?

Do Man City play their best XI every week? Or do they accommodate a bevvy of talent in order to keep them all happy, rest tired players and make tactical changes?

Its a little easier for City when their reserve horses for courses are all thoroughbreds worth multi millions.
I’d take it very slowly with Jonny so we dont risk injury to him and he understands how Lage plays

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Because of personnel issues. If we had all three, fit, firing on all cylinders, in an ideal world, why would you not rotate?
Because then you have a player who wants to play 45+ games a season playing 20 odd. City players are happy to rotate because they can win 4 trophies a season

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because then you have a player who wants to play 45+ games a season playing 20 odd. City players are happy to rotate because they can win 4 trophies a season
They'd not be playing 20 games, they'd all be playing 40+. Just not playing in every minute of every game.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol. To maintain freshness, to change tact when required, in order to keep three very good but somewhat different fullbacks/wingbacks happy.
Absolutely, particularly if they give us the width with the forwards being inverted/inside. Same as Vinagre was used to inject some pace/width.

For me Jonny can be LWB or RWB (he played predominantly as LB in Spain but has played a number of times as RB according to Whoscored).

Like RAN, Semedo and Jonny as our top 3 with Hoever and Giles as the back-up and Lembikisa as the up and coming for next season.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely, particularly if they give us the width with the forwards being inverted/inside. Same as Vinagre was used to inject some pace/width.

For me Jonny can be LWB or RWB (he played predominantly as LB in Spain but has played a number of times as RB according to Whoscored).

Like RAN, Semedo and Jonny as our top 3 with Hoever and Giles as the back-up and Lembikisa as the up and coming for next season.
Jonny is a right footed LB. He's always looked equally good at RB in my opinion.

People harp on about squad depth on here, and when someone suggests that in an ideal world we keep three very good players happy with regular rotation rather than weakening the squad by selling one of them, they argue for the latter.

Cuckoo.

BTW I'm not delusional enough to believe for a second that we could benefit from being in an ideal world.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You should let Pep and Klopp know as they almost never do that
They're in a position where in order to keep they're world class backups happy, they don't need to play them - they just need to pay them £250,000 a week. Wolves are not in that position.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

They're in a position where in order to keep they're world class backups happy, they don't need to play them - they just need to pay them £250,000 a week. Wolves are not in that position.
Liverpool don't pay any player £250k a week, they have youngsters backing up their fullbacks because they understanding having 3 of your top players as fullbacks makes little to no sense.

Wolves are not in the position to have a player like Jonny on the bench long term, better to sell if we get a decent fee and reinvest that money around squad then use Giles imo

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool don't pay any player £250k a week, they have youngsters backing up their fullbacks because they understanding having 3 of your top players as fullbacks makes little to no sense.

Wolves are not in the position to have a player like Jonny on the bench long term, better to sell if we get a decent fee and reinvest that money around squad then use Giles imo
City do pay the big bucks though.

Liverpool can't afford the same outlay.

Having 3 great fullbacks makes lots of sense provided you can keep them happy.

I'm not suggesting we keep Jonny on the bench. I'm suggesting he spends an equal amount of time on the bench as RAN and Semedo.

If Jonny returns to full fitness, he's probably the best all round fullback we have. He's the boring 8/10 performer. I can't see the sense in selling unless for big big money.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

City do pay the big bucks though.

Liverpool can't afford the same outlay.

Having 3 great fullbacks makes lots of sense provided you can keep them happy.

I'm not suggesting we keep Jonny on the bench. I'm suggesting he spends an equal amount of time on the bench as RAN and Semedo.

If Jonny returns to full fitness, he's probably the best all round fullback we have. He's the boring 8/10 performer. I can't see the sense in selling unless for big big money.
So how do you envision it? Semedo has a storming game, but it is his turn to ride the bench so Jonny comes in?

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So how do you envision it? Semedo has a storming game, but it is his turn to ride the bench so Jonny comes in?
Depending on the matchups in the upcoming game. Whether Bruno felt he needed a more attacking or defensive strategy then why not?

Switching personnel at the back can help with changing the shape of the attack and midfield.

Jonny may well be more effective playing at LB than RAN when up against a left footed right winger. How RAN played in the previous match could have little relevance.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Depending on the matchups in the upcoming game. Whether Bruno felt he needed a more attacking or defensive strategy then why not?

Switching personnel at the back can help with changing the shape of the attack and midfield.

Jonny may well be more effective playing at LB than RAN when up against a left footed right winger. How RAN played in the previous match could have little relevance.
Sounds like a way for them to want to leave, RAN has potential to go to the absolute top. If he starts getting regularly sat next year he is offski.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like a way for them to want to leave, RAN has potential to go to the absolute top. If he starts getting regularly sat next year he is offski.
What part of regularly playing three fullbacks every week can you not understand?

Yes RAN has some serious potential. Semedo has become Mr dependable, if Jonny replicates his pre injury form he's possibly still the best fullback we have, regardless how good the others are

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

What part of regularly playing three fullbacks every week can you not understand?

Yes RAN has some serious potential. Semedo has become Mr dependable, if Jonny replicates his pre injury form he's possibly still the best fullback we have, regardless how good the others are
RAN ceiling is much higher than Jonny's. How can you regularly play 3 fullbacks a week? So you basically have 1 sub to use (need an insurance sub & you are nailed on to use one on a fullback every week for some reason). Just such a daft idea

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RAN ceiling is much higher than Jonny's. How can you regularly play 3 fullbacks a week? So you basically have 1 sub to use (need an insurance sub & you are nailed on to use one on a fullback every week for some reason). Just such a daft idea
Not really, RAN is subbed more often than not. Also I think you've forgotten exactly how good Jonny was.

I'd agree RAN's ceiling is high, but to describe it as much higher than Jonny's seems disrespectful and demonstrates a short memory.

Anyway, you don't agree and that's fine. This is pretty boring now. Trying to watch Superbowl. Good night.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Providing Jonny proves his knee can hold up (a big question mark right now, lets be honest), it wouldn't surprise me if we sell Ait-Nouri in a year (probably to PSG) and keep Jonny as our main LWB.

Back
Top Bottom