Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jonny

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask the question how is he getting on in his recovery?

I haven't seen any posts from himself or Wolves about him on social media since around the time he got injured again and never in any of the clips in or around the training ground... Is he back in Spain recovering?

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is with Neto you can see he is still very much involved and around the place.. Nothing on Jonny!

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thing is with Neto you can see he is still very much involved and around the place.. Nothing on Jonny!
Thats just a question of the different stages they are at in recovery. Neto just has a couple of months (hopefully) and Jonny will be well into to the new year... as Jonny gets closer he will be in and around the place as Neto is... for now players generally recover where they are most comfortable so I imagine Jonny is recovering at home, most likely Spain

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just wanted to ask the question how is he getting on in his recovery?

I haven't seen any posts from himself or Wolves about him on social media since around the time he got injured again and never in any of the clips in or around the training ground... Is he back in Spain recovering?
You may as well change the thread title to NETO. ‘:)
I too was wondering about Jonny’s progress.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno talking about how Jonny can play in all 5 defensive positions.

I suppose Azpilicueta does well for Chelsea in a back 3 and is only 3cm taller and not as strong.

Jonny is one of our better technical players and it would be a way of getting him n the XI alongside Semedo and Ait Nouri, who have both been excellent.

Obviously not for your games against Burnley and the bigger more physical teams, but for the games where the ball is mainly on the floor like City etc, he could be a decent option.

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I suppose Azpilicueta does well for Chelsea in a back 3 and is only 3cm taller and not as strong.

Jonny is one of our better technical players and it would be a way of getting him n the XI alongside Semedo and Ait Nouri, who have both been excellent.

Obviously not for your games against Burnley and the bigger more physical teams, but for the games where the ball is mainly on the floor like City etc, he could be a decent option.
Yeah, interesting to hear him say that. I think you're spot on and he'll become a good option for the back 3 and with crossing largely coming out of the game (with the exception of Southampton last night) him being a little shorter will not be a massive issue in a lot of games

We all dream of a team of Jonny Castro Otto's!

P.S. Will be made up to see him on the bench tonight

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, interesting to hear him say that. I think you're spot on and he'll become a good option for the back 3 and with crossing largely coming out of the game (with the exception of Southampton last night) him being a little shorter will not be a massive issue in a lot of games

We all dream of a team of Jonny Castro Otto's!

P.S. Will be made up to see him on the bench tonight

Great bench option if he can cover 5 positions too. Although it would only free up space for a 3rd keeper at the moment!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny is the man, when fit he beats both RAN and Semedo for quality at WB (probably an unpopular opinion these days, which is no bad thing!).

If we can get him fully fit and over these injuries our squad will be significantly improved.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great to have him back. A real boost to the squad. Let’s hope the lad can stay fit.

Reaction score

If he can play in all 5 positions, then stick 2 more up top and pack the midfield

MontyR

Reaction score
If he can stay fit it'd probably allow Ait-Nouri to push further up the field too if we're short on numbers. Can really see him following the Bale path of starting left back but eventually moving to a right winger.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny is the man, when fit he beats both RAN and Semedo for quality at WB (probably an unpopular opinion these days, which is no bad thing!).

If we can get him fully fit and over these injuries our squad will be significantly improved.

I think you're right in terms of overall technical ability, but for how Bruno plays, I'm not sure.

In most of his time here and during his time at Benfica, Bruno's wing-backs and fullbacks have been primarily about width and he tends to pick a left-footed player on the left and a right-footed player on the right. The wide forwards are the ones who cut inside and the wing/fullbacks tend to go outside. Partly why he didn't fancy Adama in my opinion, as Adama was far more suited and far more comfortable as a right winger, hugging the touchline on the right, which is where he played very well on his (2nd) Barca debut.

Jonny at left-wing back was more about cutting inside (inverted wing-back), so he would be probably be more suited to right wing-back in Bruno's style, but I'd want to get both him and Semedo on the field together if at all possible.

Achilles Last Stand

Reaction score
Maybe we should let him pay a few games first, and the assess the status of his ability :) ?

He's been out way too long to know exactly were he stands ability wise.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

Jonny is a superb player and if fully fit would play every week.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel fairly confident we could go 2/4 at the back if we have Semedo and a fit Jonny at full back. They're both incredibly solid defensively. I suspect our Jonny will be a semi-permanent crock unfortunately, such a shame cos he's obviously class.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Forget defense, could do with him in midfield....

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Jonny is class but he isn't a huge attacking addition tbh, Ait-Nouri offers more especially with his set pieces. If we could get £20M for him if he proves his fitness that could help the squad out more

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More likely they will sell Ait-Nouri, bigger potential profit to be made
giphy.gif

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disagree, he was very good cutting back and into the box.

Jonny was excellent at linking up play. Watching some of our highlights from a couple of years ago, he doesn't get the goal or assist, but there's many moves where he's involved. An unobtrusive guy on and off the pitch (can't remember him ever being interviewed) so I think his contribution is missed by many. Quick thinking and precise. Defensively rarely beaten, too.
Ait-Nouri advantage is that he's faster (I think?), beats players more and better at set pieces. But I never recall getting frustrated with Jonny for being wrong side of an attacker in a critical position (RAN still does this too often) , or that slowing down and passing back when a break is on. Jonny is probably better in the air, too, more quick minded and better at one touch passing.
Ait-Nouri could well end up the better player, but he isn't there yet (unless the injury wrecks Jonny) . I think RaN got caught out badly a few times in his first few matches - took a second too long and as it's the Premier League, was skinned for it, also took players on and lost possession leaving himself well exposed. So he's gone a bit to the other extreme of being over cautious.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Jonny was excellent at linking up play. Watching some of our highlights from a couple of years ago, he doesn't get the goal or assist, but there's many moves where he's involved. An unobtrusive guy on and off the pitch (can't remember him ever being interviewed) so I think his contribution is missed by many. Quick thinking and precise. Defensively rarely beaten, too.
Ait-Nouri advantage is that he's faster (I think?), beats players more and better at set pieces. But I never recall getting frustrated with Jonny for being wrong side of an attacker in a critical position (RAN still does this too often) , or that slowing down and passing back when a break is on. Jonny is probably better in the air, too, more quick minded and better at one touch passing.
Ait-Nouri could well end up the better player, but he isn't there yet (unless the injury wrecks Jonny) . I think RaN got caught out badly a few times in his first few matches - took a second too long and as it's the Premier League, was skinned for it, also took players on and lost possession leaving himself well exposed. So he's gone a bit to the other extreme of being over cautious.
Jonny didn't progress the ball very much, used to check back constantly like you're accusing Ait-Nouri of and dribbling with the ball there is no comparison.
However Jonny's pressing was what made him brilliant, used to harry and press a winger or attacker especially with their back to goal. So strong in the tackle as well.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jonny is class but he isn't a huge attacking addition tbh, Ait-Nouri offers more especially with his set pieces. If we could get £20M for him if he proves his fitness that could help the squad out more

20m for who? Jonny? 10 million tops now unfortunately. You can't be out that long and maintain much value. Either way I hope we don't drop RAN for him, we need to start planning for the future, Jonny won't be part of that. That said of course, the comment above about selling RAN isn't far fetched a year from now.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

20m for who? Jonny? 10 million tops now unfortunately. You can't be out that long and maintain much value. Either way I hope we don't drop RAN for him, we need to start planning for the future, Jonny won't be part of that. That said of course, the comment above about selling RAN isn't far fetched a year from now.
If he gets a run towards the end of year and his scans are OK I don't think teams will worry that much especially given they allegedly fixed the underlying issue second time around. Yeah RAN being sold a year from now does make sense but in the meantime can't see Jonny wanting to be a rotation option

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can't remember a period of time where wolves have conceded as few goals, as this wolves side have when Ait-Nouri has been playing.
19 or not defensively, he's been our best wing back this season. No question.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he gets a run towards the end of year and his scans are OK I don't think teams will worry that much especially given they allegedly fixed the underlying issue second time around. Yeah RAN being sold a year from now does make sense but in the meantime can't see Jonny wanting to be a rotation option
The ideal outcome though, is to use Semedo, RAN and Jonny in rotation. All three could easily get minutes every game, whether starting or off the bench.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really see why that is ideal? Want your best 2 playing as often as possible.
Horses for courses. Resting tired legs, keeping three players happy rather than two?

Do Man City play their best XI every week? Or do they accommodate a bevvy of talent in order to keep them all happy, rest tired players and make tactical changes?

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really thought Jonny was going to get on today when Tim S tweeting as much, would have been great to see him out there again but only a matter of time now

Elite level full back if fully fit (which will take time), and having him coming off the bench through this run of games will feel very reassuring indeed

Fantastic to have him back in the squad, and his presence is a boost for our positional cover as much as the undoubted quality a fully fit Jonny would bring

10/15 min cameo's from the bench through the rest of the season, and maybe a a start or two would be fantastic, and then fighting to be a regular starter with the others from next season with European football to balance of course ;-)

Back
Top Bottom