Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

John Hollins passes.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hollins' son Chris, a former BBC presenter, tweeted: "My hero, best friend and dad left us today. "He was so modest but I will say it: He was a great player, brilliant team-mate and one hell of a person. My Mum, sister and all his grandchildren will miss him so much."

I knew John and played with him and against him in Guildford youth football. I held him in the highest regard.

The world has lost a real gentleman.

RIP John.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
John went to play for Chelsea, I went to fly in the air force, but I would never pass up the chance to see him play.

On my birthday on 14 September 1966, I was on my way home on leave. Chelsea were playing Charlton at Stamford Bridge in the second round of the League Cup. I got there at half time and, in those days, the gates were opened at half time and you could get in for free. Once in the ground I asked someone what the score was, 1-1 was the reply. Chelsea won 5-2 and John scored an absolute cracker.

A very rewarding and satisfying diversion to my journey home.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a Londoner I would see Chelsea occasionally at that time and Hollins was part of a great team esp Osgood, good old Chopper Harris and the much underated Houseman out wide. Peter Bonnetti in goal too. Great memories esp when Wolves came to Stamford Bridge. Great player. RIP John.

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a Londoner I would see Chelsea occasionally at that time and Hollins was part of a great team esp Osgood, good old Chopper Harris and the much underated Houseman out wide. Peter Bonnetti in goal too. Great memories esp when Wolves came to Stamford Bridge. Great player. RIP John.
I had lunch with Peter Osgood and a mutual friend who arranged it. Peter was another that departed far too young at the age of 59. John Hollins was 76, which is still too young. I had a couple of long chats with the Doog who died at the age of 69, I was devastated when he went as he was so good to me and my son and he introduced me to Malcolm Finlayson as well.

I went to Stamford Bridge a good few times in that era. Bobby Tambling was probably my favourite although Houseman was a stand out as well, as you say. Not too sure who underrated him as he couldn't half shift!

Last edited:

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a kid he was one of my favourite non-Wolves players. Came across him in a restaurant in Tenerife many years ago, complete with his family, where he was unfailingly polite. RIP.
That's him! :)

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like many talented players from that era, Hollins got scant international recognition. One England cap. Same as John Richards.

Recently watched a youtube video of Alan Woodward's (Sheffield United) highlights-what a player (would walk into any current PL team) &-just like Kenny Hibbitt-no full caps whatsoever.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Houseman another one never rewarded with an England cap. Sadly killed (along with his wife & two friends) in a crash with a car driven by a drunken member of the Bullingdon Club. £4000 fine.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like many talented players from that era, Hollins got scant international recognition. One England cap. Same as John Richards.

Recently watched a youtube video of Alan Woodward's (Sheffield United) highlights-what a player (would walk into any current PL team) &-just like Kenny Hibbitt-no full caps whatsoever.
There were so many good players around then. Everyone seemed to have a decent centre forward. Everyone seemed to have a Scottish midfield player when that country literally used to churn out talented footballers, and the game was awash with swashbuckling mavericks like Tony Currie, Stan Bowles Alan Hudson, to name but a few.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Obviously all teams will lose players as we and they get older .Chelsea have lost Bonetti.Osgood .Wilkins and now Hollins from that era .Chelsea were a decent non super funded team back in the day,as we were , before the mega rich money of Sky and the PL took the game that we all grew up with away from us :

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously all teams will lose players as we and they get older .Chelsea have lost Bonetti.Osgood .Wilkins and now Hollins from that era .Chelsea were a decent non super funded team back in the day,as we were , before the mega rich money of Sky and the PL took the game that we all grew up with away from us :
Very, very true Jonzy.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
There were so many good players around then. Everyone seemed to have a decent centre forward. Everyone seemed to have a Scottish midfield player when that country literally used to churn out talented footballers, and the game was awash with swashbuckling mavericks like Tony Currie, Stan Bowles Alan Hudson, to name but a few.
Two centre forwards that immediately spring to mind are Ron and Wyn Davies and closer to home we had Jeff Astle and Bob Latchford and notwithstanding our own Doog .

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Too true. I remember Andy Lochhead of Burnley and Chris Chilton of Hull, who I believe we were once linked with, and who could forget Frank Worthington?

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two centre forwards that immediately spring to mind are Ron and Wyn Davies and closer to home we had Jeff Astle and Bob Latchford and notwithstanding our own Doog .
I remember the two Davies's that you refer to, who both used to play for Wales along with John Toshack, and were commonly referred to as 'The Welsh Airforce'

IOMWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
An absolute gentleman first and brilliant player second. Modern players could & should learn from the likes of John.
Agreed. Chelsea back in the 60's and early 70's were my second favourite team partly because of their strip (always Wolves v Chelsea at subutteo) and also beating DLS in the Cup Final.

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great player and integral part of an entertaining Chelsea team that so fitted their time, a team I had an affinity with back then.

Thoughts with his family, RIP.

JimB

Groupie
Reaction score
I was working near Cardiff in 1986, and they were playing chelsea in the league cup. JH was their manager at the time. My mate supported them so I went with him. Chelsea lost 2-1, we met JH outside getting on the team bus, even though they had been beaten by a lower league side , he still had time for the fans and even had a laugh. Always respected him. All round nice guy. RIP John

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember John Hollins well. He was part of that young Chelsea team of the early to mid 60s assembled by Tommy Docherty: Bobby Tambling, Barry Bridges, Chopper Harris, Peter Osgood, Peter Bonetti and a bit later Alan Hudson. Remember we played them on the opening day of the 64-5 season at Molineux and got a 0-3 drubbing. RIP John.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm of that vintage to remember him in those entertaining Chelsea teams that included Cooke, Harris, Hudson, Osgood and Bonetti etc.
He played in one of the best games I've ever seen at Molineux when "Waggy" scored an absolute screamer and Wolves went on to win 3-0.

A true gentleman as already said. My heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends.

ewarwoowar

Reaction score
concur with all memories of John Hollins a great player in his day and a genuinely nice person,RIP John and thoughts are with his family and many friends

Back
Top Bottom