Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Jimmy Greaves

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So, so sad news about Jimmy.

A great player and a real character.

I had the pleasure of seeing him at a sportsman’s lunch 25 odd years ago. My mate gave me a video of Jimmy’s and asked me if I could get his signature on it. Jimmy was in conversation and I asked if he would sign it. Without hesitation he said ‘Certainly’ and did the honour. Shook his hand and thanked him. Never forgot that.

Its my daughters birthday today and I will be celebrating. Hearing the news about Jimmy has put a bit of a dampener on it though.

RIP to another legend.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First knew of him as a kid watching Saint and Greavsie on a Saturday. My dad told me he was a bit special, and when you look at his record, it was nothing short of sensational.

A great character and football has lost a legend, RIP

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In 478 competitive appearances at both Chelsea (where he started his career) and Spurs, he netted 335 goals.

That says almost EVERYTHING, you need to know about one of the nation's greatest ever footballers.

RIP Greavesie - you were simply LEGENDARY.

Lisas Husband

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His career was before my time really but I remember him alongside Ian Saint John for the Saturday ritual which was Saint and Greavsie.
I loved watching that, light hearted football entertainment instead of the stuffy programs the beeb put out.

A sensational goal scoring record and as rightly stated above, this one will hit the football community hard.

Rip JG.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Jimmy
One of the best forwards ive ever seen
Great character,despite his drinking,brilliant goal scoring machine,will be much missed by all those old enough to appreciate a great talent

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Part of my childhood RIP Jimmy, anyone got a photo of him with the Bull Horn helmet on S and G?

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
RIP.

A real footballing legend.

Both on and off the pitch.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My first idol.
What a striker. To quote Cloughie "Jimmy was the greatest"
RIP.

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Deeply upset
England’s greatest ever striker bar none
RIP X
Exactly my feeling too :sleepy: Jimmy was truly one of the footballing greats.
Condolences to all his family and friends.

R.I.P Jimmy Greaves

Willenhall wanderer

Reaction score
Like a lot of people have already said I loved watching Saint and Greavsie on tv and my dad told me he was a great player a sad loss for all the football community and most especially his family and friends RIP Greavsie

SmokeyGB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Jimmy Greaves

I don't think there are many players that were universally accepted as a person and a player by every fan at every club.

Unreal Goalscoring record at club level, but I'm more impressed with his International record. Didn't play 12 International games a season against teams ranked 150th in the world every 3 months.

After Football he had his Demons but win that battle, then their was his side kick.. Ian St John - a television show that was loved, his humour was great, his football knowledge just as good.

Then that moment when he lifted up his top at Itailia 90 saying 'Let the Bull' Loose..
I was a 16yr old crying with pride.

Jimmy, we've know you've not been well for a while, but I am truly upset that a English Footbl Legend has left us..
RIP Jimmy ...

wayne-the-wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Like many grew up watching Saint and Greavsie on a Saturday, loved it both legends of the game that will be sadly missed

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had the pleasure of watching him play in the flesh many times... or rather the pain, when it came to Wolves, as he played a few memorable games against us when we were still a real force in the land. None more than when he was playng for Chelsea as an eighteen year old the last time we won the League in 1958-9. Third game of the season we played Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and they slaughtered us 6-2. Billy Wright was marking him and the writing was on the wall for Billy even if we did win the League that season.... Jimmy scored FIVE of their goals! Maybe not the greatest player of all time, but for my money the greatest goalscorer ever. Many of his records have never been surpassed and probably never will be. RIP Jimmy.

Last edited:

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An absolute masterclass in goalscoring and a great loss to football. I had the privilege of meeting him at a Rothman's Football Yearbook press release function in London in the early 1970's. How could you not admire the man? Scoring goals was more important than breaking the net, a lesson for some of today's players.

Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Jimmy and thanks for the memories.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I suppose on the World/England/Wolves stage the likes of Pele/Beckenbauer/Charlton/Flowers will be ultimately as hard hitting .We are sadly running out of the iconic geniuses of former generations
RIP

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Saint & Greavesy show was part of my childhood/teens ritual before heading off to the Mol. Never took themselves seriously and by all accounts was a fantastic player too. Rest in peace Jimmy you made your mark, condolences to his family and friends.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of the greatest goalscorers there has ever been. He was lethal in front of goal and rarely missed a chance.

R.I.P.

Back
Top Bottom